Ping/latency/server Consistency

Chunky71
18 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
There doesn't seem to be any. Having played BF since Bad Company 2, i'm obviously not new to the game. But I've noticed players in teams with top scores and high kill rates with very high latency, then on the opposite team their highest scorer will have just as many kills but a low latency, sometimes latency in these cases is as different as 120 for one top player and 17 for the other.
Also, I only join servers in Europe, as that is my region with good ping, yet I my k/d with be shocking (one game this week was 6 - 34). I'm not the best player, in fact i'm pretty crap, but I know the difference between bad game play and bad connections.
My point is, there doesn't seem to be much point in even showing the latency in games if they are so inconsistent.
Sorry for the rant, just a bit frustrated.

Comments

• WetFishDB
    1962 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Chunky71 wrote: »
    There doesn't seem to be any. Having played BF since Bad Company 2, i'm obviously not new to the game. But I've noticed players in teams with top scores and high kill rates with very high latency, then on the opposite team their highest scorer will have just as many kills but a low latency, sometimes latency in these cases is as different as 120 for one top player and 17 for the other.
    Also, I only join servers in Europe, as that is my region with good ping, yet I my k/d with be shocking (one game this week was 6 - 34). I'm not the best player, in fact i'm pretty crap, but I know the difference between bad game play and bad connections.
    My point is, there doesn't seem to be much point in even showing the latency in games if they are so inconsistent.

The reason why players at the top of the scoreboard may have a high or low ping is more that the ping itself isn't really the thing that determines whether a player is good or not. I agree there isn't really a huge point in showing it on the scoreboard particularly.

That said, when I pump a whole clip into someone and they seem to sponge it's always nice to then look at the scoreboard and it reveal they had a 140 ping etc. Of course I could be missing my shots, but it makes me feel better anyway.
  • Chunky71
    18 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Oh I miss my shots all the time. Absolutely hopeless, I couldn't hit a cows **** with a barn door.
    I get that the players at the top are there on merit most of the time. Good players are good players regardless of internet connection. It was just an observation that showing low ping, high ping seems a bit redundant as it clearly makes no difference.
    I upgraded my internet last month and can honestly say, it made no difference. I'm still crap :smiley:
  • WetFishDB
    1962 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Oh I miss my shots all the time. Absolutely hopeless, I couldn't hit a cows **** with a barn door.
    I get that the players at the top are there on merit most of the time. Good players are good players regardless of internet connection. It was just an observation that showing low ping, high ping seems a bit redundant as it clearly makes no difference.
    I upgraded my internet last month and can honestly say, it made no difference. I'm still crap :smiley:

I'm not making reflections on you as an individual, but for players that aren't very good changing their connection won't really make any difference. If you can't hit the target then no connection is going to solve that etc.

That said, for me changing from wireless to a wired connection made a big reduction to packet loss, and I did feel like more of my bullets hit. It could have been a placebo of course, but subjectively it did feel like an improvement.
  • Chunky71
    Yeah, that was pretty much my point. My connection made difference to my gameplay, except for the odd moment of lag which seems to happen for more often now then it ever did.
    One thing i did notice though, was I decided to join a Japanese server, just to test out a theory that high ping can actually help a player, and I had a far better game on that server than I have on any other. Like you said, it could also have been a placebo but it added strength to that theory
  • WetFishDB
    Yeah, that was pretty much my point. My connection made difference to my gameplay, except for the odd moment of lag which seems to happen for more often now then it ever did.
    One thing i did notice though, was I decided to join a Japanese server, just to test out a theory that high ping can actually help a player, and I had a far better game on that server than I have on any other. Like you said, it could also have been a placebo but it added strength to that theory

Going high ping does depend on the way you play, just how high a ping you have, the pings of other players, and a whole bunch of other things etc. For some people it will help them do better, so it might work better for you. For example, peekers benefit from a higher ping (so long as they are under the ping threshold for client side hit detection) as it increases the time they can peek before the enemy will see their position updates. Ultimately it's pretty much all situational though.

Personally I always play EU from the EU...

Some days I can play 10 games in a session and get a KDR of 8 with a perfect win rate.
    Another day I can play 10 games and barely win over half whilst maintaining a KDR of 8.
    Other days I can win all of them and barely get a KDR much above 4.

I'm not really doing anything different, just with different team mates, different enemies, on different maps etc. That's part of what's great about BF; every session is different, every game is different, every engagement is different. I don't worry about other peoples ping as I can't change it. I don't worry about the way other people choose to play, as I can't change that. All I can do is change the way I play; try to learn, improve, adapt, and ultimately overcome as best I can.
  • digga11
    763 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Lots of high latency players in a server is not good for you if you have a low ping.
    Dices lag compensation kicks in and things can get a bit screwy.
    I’ve found it best to move on but other points are right ensure your connection is good.
  • Chunky71
    digga11 wrote: »
    Lots of high latency players in a server is not good for you if you have a low ping.
    I’ve found it best to move on but other points are right ensure your connection is good.

Yeah, I was in another Japanese server last night and although my first few deaths came rapid and totally out of the blue, once i settled into the game, I ended up reversing the deficit and going quite well in the k/d dept, but the downside was that I ended up losing connection, so never finished the game.
  • digga11
    763 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    digga11 wrote: »

Yeah, I was in another Japanese server last night and although my first few deaths came rapid and totally out of the blue, once i settled into the game, I ended up reversing the deficit and going quite well in the k/d dept, but the downside was that I ended up losing connection, so never finished the game.

There’s been many conversations regarding oor players on here, some folks think you get no advantage some do.
    I have tried it myself and find if I keep moving it’s good as the server is trying to predict where you are but the results can be mixed.
    Looking at the amount of crazy high pings in game now it can’t be that bad eh.
    If it’s getting frustrating in your own region try playing smaller modes at 60 hertz they tend to run better.
  • The_BERG_366
    2185 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

I don't see why it's bad that there can be players doing really well with low AND high ping. isn't that what its all about? isn't it exactly the point that the ping should not determine the performance but rather the player himself?
  • Chunky71

I don't see why it's bad that there can be players doing really well with low AND high ping. isn't that what its all about? isn't it exactly the point that the ping should not determine the performance but rather the player himself?

Yes, I totally agree. And kudos to the good players that play through bad latency. I guess it's just me then. I'm not a bad player in that, I play the objective, I rack up good points from being a good squad/team mate. My downfall is kills. I really struggle.