Weekly Debrief

SLI & mGPU are Dead!

Comments

• FrontFighterHD
    5 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    sKutDeath wrote: »
    Just wanted to chime in here after lurking. First thanks to all of you with your help, tips, and information, it really helped out. So after months of trial and error and 2 RMA's, I am glad to say I have finally got BFV playing on 2 x 2080 Ti in SLI with DRT on the PG348Q STrix 3440 x 1440 in ULTRA settings and everything. I use the medium DRT setting for BFV because the ULTRA drops fps down to 50FPS in DRT intensive maps, (Rotterdam, etc...). It took alot of effort and money to get here, but there we are...

So what CPU you're using?
  • sKutDeath
    22 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited November 2018
    Just wanted to chime in here after lurking. First thanks to all of you with your help, tips, and information, it really helped out. So after months of trial and error and 2 RMA's, I am glad to say I have finally got BFV playing on 2 x 2080 Ti in SLI with DRT on the PG348Q STrix 3440 x 1440 in ULTRA settings and everything. I use the medium DRT setting for BFV because the ULTRA drops fps down to 50FPS in DRT intensive maps, (Rotterdam, etc...). It took alot of effort and money to get here, but there we are...

So what CPU you're using?

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2970WX in DLM, not even overclocked yet....

System Specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2970WX 3,0 GHz (Pinnacle Ridge) Sockel TR4
    CPU Cooling: be quiet! Silent Loop - 360mm
    Mainboard: ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme, AMD X399 Mainboard - Sockel TR4
    GPU: 2 x INNO3D GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Gaming OC X3, 11264 MB GDDR6 in SLI (NVLink)
    RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB Series schwarz, DDR4-3600, CL 16 - 32 GB Quad-Kit
    BOOT Disk/Storage: SSD 2TB 2.5/3.5G 970 EVO PCIe M.2 SAM
    Monitor: Asus 34 L PG348Q ROG 3440 x 1440 G-Sync
    Keyboard 1: Corsair K70 RGB MK.2
    Keyboard 2: Razer Orbweaver Chroma Game Keypad
    Mouse: ASUS ROG Spatha Gaming Maus
    Power Supply: 1700 Watt Enermax Platimax Modular 80+
    Case: Cooler Master Cosmos II RC-1200-KKN1 Big-Tower
    Post edited by sKutDeath on
  • sKutDeath
    22 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    So after more testing I did determine that I was not actually getting DX12 SLI with DRX. Verified this with Rivatuner and confirmed it by trying out BF1 also. BF1 does not use SLI in DX12, but does work in DX11. I got such a performance boost when I enabled Dynamic Local Mode on the CPU that I attributed it to the SLI configuration. So hardware is there, just have to wait for more Software development to actually utilise it more efficiently. How long will we be waiting?
  • DukeSan27
    1191 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    So after more testing I did determine that I was not actually getting DX12 SLI with DRX. Verified this with Rivatuner and confirmed it by trying out BF1 also. BF1 does not use SLI in DX12, but does work in DX11. I got such a performance boost when I enabled Dynamic Local Mode on the CPU that I attributed it to the SLI configuration. So hardware is there, just have to wait for more Software development to actually utilise it more efficiently. How long will we be waiting?

DXR is DX12 only.
    DICE has already stated that DX12 mGPU is not happening.

So you can have either
    Single GPU DXR w/DX12
    or
    SLI w/DX11.

• sKutDeath
    DukeSan27 wrote: »

DXR is DX12 only.

So you can have either
    Single GPU DXR w/DX12
    or
    SLI w/DX11.

Well then it looks like the BF train may end with this release. No SLI support then why the NVLink? Just for miners?
  • jasonvp
    189 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

When did they say that?
  • DukeSan27
    1191 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

DXR is DX12 only.

So you can have either
    Single GPU DXR w/DX12
    or
    SLI w/DX11.

Well then it looks like the BF train may end with this release. No SLI support then why the NVLink? Just for miners?

No SLI with DXR is only a DICE issue, other studios may have both together.
    jasonvp wrote: »

When did they say that?

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/battlefield-v-ray-tracing,37732.html

• jasonvp
    189 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

Well if they stick with that (things do change), then it's DX11 and SLI for me. Seems a silly absolute stance to take; I'll bet they reconsider that one after a while.
  • CartierOne
    41 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Hello,so with the last driver 416.94 it's wroking the sli ? Anyone knows how to get the video cards to work at 80-90% ? My video cards are working at 50-60% .
  • FrontFighterHD
    5 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Thats maybe because your cpu is limiting .. so you need a faster one or try overclocking first..
  • CartierOne
    41 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited November 2018
    Hello,thanks for your answer but my cpu it's not limited it's using only 25% i have a i9 cpu i don';t have a problem with my video cards or my cpu the problem it;s the game or the drivers . This is why i was asking maybe someone knows how to make some settings in nvidia inspector or the game so i can get better usage from the video cards thanks .
  • g0merpile
    683 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited November 2018

DXR is DX12 only.

So you can have either
    Single GPU DXR w/DX12
    or
    SLI w/DX11.

No SLI with DXR is only a DICE issue, other studios may have both together.
    jasonvp wrote: »

When did they say that?

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/battlefield-v-ray-tracing,37732.html

Only believe portion of what comes for toms, since bestofmedia took it over there are no real tech insiders left. Toms(bestofmedia is a malware infection) Be very careful
  • Judge_Dredd_80
    18 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited November 2018

The above is incorrect, BF1 mGPU support for DX12 has been patched in Lupkov Patch update - https://www.reddit.com/r/battlefield_one/comments/6v4rrv/lupkow_pas_update_patch_notes/
    I have 2x1080Ti and mGPU in DX12 works perfectly in BF1.
  • sKutDeath

The above is incorrect, BF1 mGPU support for DX12 has been patched in Lupkov Patch update - https://www.reddit.com/r/battlefield_one/comments/6v4rrv/lupkow_pas_update_patch_notes/
    I have 2x1080Ti and mGPU in DX12 works perfectly in BF1.

Thanks for the heads up, missed that....
  • CartierOne
    Hello, who knows if the last driver from nvidia 417.01 it's working sli ?
  • KazeKage79
    71 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    My 2nd 2080 Ti stays idle, so no SLI/NVLINK support. PLEASE GIVE US SLI AND RTX FEATURES <3

You know RTX works only in DX12 right? and that DX12 will never support SLI...You have wasted a lot of money buddy
  • nicey1958
    50 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    CartierOne wrote: »

not in BFV it isnt. .34 drivers seem to be fine 2x1070's here.
  • sKutDeath
    KazeKage79 wrote: »
    My 2nd 2080 Ti stays idle, so no SLI/NVLINK support. PLEASE GIVE US SLI AND RTX FEATURES <3

You know RTX works only in DX12 right? and that DX12 will never support SLI...You have wasted a lot of money buddy

Never say Never, they will lose alot of supporters if they don't listen to the community. I know of many who didn't even get BF1 because of how the server administration got nerfed, (even worse than when DICE killed Map Modding).
  • Dragam
    874 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    CartierOne wrote: »

Dear lord, the amount of people who bought sli, who really shouldn't have...

If a driver doesn't support sli out of the box, then you can just add a working profile yourself with nvidiainspector... and yes, this works fine with the 417.01 driver aswell...
  • KazeKage79
    71 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    KazeKage79 wrote: »

Never say Never, they will lose alot of supporters if they don't listen to the community. I know of many who didn't even get BF1 because of how the server administration got nerfed, (even worse than when DICE killed Map Modding).

Sorry to say but the SLI community if very small ( and I used to be part of it) compare to the rest. Nvidia themselves advise to use single card setup now. Nvidia and dice will not invest a lot of time for a small group of people. I rather them be more focused on getting the game optimized CPU wise and better netcode.