Flares Are Practically Useless Now

Sixclicks
4148 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
Why the flare nerf? They cover such a tiny radius now and also have a much shorter duration in comparison to the alphas and beta. I could see maybe reducing the duration from the beta, but the radius as well? What's the point of them anymore if you can't even light up an objective with them? Especially since you only spawn with one flare. I mean, the way it is now, you pretty much have to already know exactly where the enemy is just to cover them with the tiny radius.

So they only last 10 seconds now - less than half of that in the beta, and they look like they cover about half the radius as well.

Thanks for making them useless for no reason DICE.

Here's what it looks like in the game right now. Look at the size on the minimap:

Here's what they looked like in the beta for comparison. Notice the longer duration as well:

Comments

• Radious1987
    355 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Yes they are useless. Like entirely waste of of gadget slot, bad thing is ou can replace them only for spotting device.
  • Kunstula
    350 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    edited November 9
    Not surprised. As a fellow scout enthusiast I am wondering why I am still keeping up my hopes of DICE making the scout class balanced in BF5. As of now I see absolutely no reason to get the game when the scout class has been hard-nerfed in seemingly every aspect compared to BF1, while the other classes have only gotten better.
  • MarxistDictator
    4358 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Its part of their 'communicating where enemy players are is bad' design
  • Arkaelov
    73 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    100% this. It makes scouts close to useless for actually playing the objective.
  • Sixclicks
    4148 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Its part of their 'communicating where enemy players are is bad' design

Yeah, but it's scout's job to spot. They really aren't worth replacing the spotting scope with which you can use infinitely.

If I had to suggest a change, I'd say make them have the old beta radius but keep the shorter 10 second duration.

Unrelated to flares, scope glint still "communicates where enemy players are" regardless. Not that I'm even using high magnification scopes. I've been sticking with iron sights.
  • VincentNZ
    563 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    To be fair the beta flare could be considered a bit too much. At least for the spotting purists. I think DICE saw the "abusive" potential where you could infinitely spot an area, which is a problem with 64 players.
    Then you look at the T-UGS or MAV of BF4 and can only shrug. But in any case the flare seems useless, I do not know why they did it, I would expect it to be buffed within weeks again, as it is surely a waste of spot. What is it's replacement? The telescope? Well that is hardly an improvement.
  • Hawxxeye
    2175 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Right now I feel it is easier to spot enemies by being support and shooting at their direction.
    I am serious. You also do not need to depend on a supply station to get more ammo as with the flares.
    Seriously:
    2 flare capacity only (1 when spawning) + that tiny radius + can only be ressuplied from stations and sky drops = terrible
    As I said in the past when I play that class I play it for the gadget utility it gives to the team. If we cannot have that I will just use the 3 laser beam auto bullet hose classes
  • Major_Pungspark
    891 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited November 9
    Well, for some reason the quality for me is horrible but it looked kind of tiny. It was quite massive in Bf1 and that was a tad much. Lol, the beta one was seriously OP...=)
  • Sixclicks
    edited November 9
    I don't really expect it to be as good as the beta flare, but what we have now is almost pointless to even use. The scope is okay for spotting if you like sitting back a mile away on a high perch and getting 10 points per spot. Honestly though, that gadget slot seems very lackluster on Recon with either of the two gadgets. At least we have the spawn beacon.

It's like they pulled out the nerf sledgehammer instead of the regular nerf hammer.

I'm also at least liking the AL8 on the Recon class.

I just unlocked the M95, and if the damage stat is correct, it'll do more max damage than any other bolt action. So I've got to give that a try next time I play. I'm guessing it'll do 80 max compared to the K98 at 75 max.
  • BaronVonGoon
    4768 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    That's good. We don't need flares.
  • Sixclicks
    edited November 9

Then give Recon more gadgets that are actually useful. Spawn beacon is pretty much it right now.
  • von_Campenstein
    5748 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Sixclicks wrote: »

Then give Recon more gadgets that are actually useful. Spawn beacon is pretty much it right now.

Don't you still have the bouncing betty? That will net you plenty of goons swarming the resupply stations.
  • Sixclicks

Don't you still have the bouncing betty? That will net you plenty of goons swarming the resupply stations.

Takes place of the spawn beacon. Spawn beacon is more useful.

I did get a few of those types of kills on supply stations while I was working my way towards unlocking the spawn beacon though.

The number 3 gadget slot is either the flare or the spotting scope.
  • GPaulstr
    12 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Good, nerf all them campy snipers. They are always miles away from objectives and play for kills only.
  • Arkaelov
    73 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    GPaulstr wrote: »
    Good, nerf all them campy snipers. They are always miles away from objectives and play for kills only.

This is about the spotting flare, which don't do much if any good to long range, camping snipers. Nerfing spotting flares only hurts the snipers that actually push up and play the objective. It's not doing anything to help with the number of long range snipers.
  • ProAssassin2003
    2067 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Once again the lack of Knowledge causing a problem.

"You don't just fire a Flare now on the ground and get instant spots. You have to shoot it in the Air above where you want to spot and the radios increases"
  • MarxistDictator
    4358 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    VincentNZ wrote: »
    To be fair the beta flare could be considered a bit too much. At least for the spotting purists. I think DICE saw the "abusive" potential where you could infinitely spot an area, which is a problem with 64 players.
    Then you look at the T-UGS or MAV of BF4 and can only shrug. But in any case the flare seems useless, I do not know why they did it, I would expect it to be buffed within weeks again, as it is surely a waste of spot. What is it's replacement? The telescope? Well that is hardly an improvement.

The T-UGS and MAV would only detect motion and did not have real time updates when they were on (you'd only see a blip periodically, no dot tracking). They also didn't disrupt visuals or set people on fire like a gimped fire grenade that lasts longer. When they buffed the ever loving heck out of the spotting gadget it needed to be nerfed, hence the limited time to live.
  • crabman169
    12350 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    You have to shoot it into the air to get max coverage
  • Sixclicks
    edited November 10

"You don't just fire a Flare now on the ground and get instant spots. You have to shoot it in the Air above where you want to spot and the radios increases"
    crabman169 wrote: »

Yeah, I know. In both clips I shoot it into the air. You can shoot it straight up and it's the same radius as what's shown in the first clip.

It's smaller than in the beta. Looks to be about half the radius.

So no, it's not a lack of knowledge.
  • ProAssassin2003
    2067 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member

crabman169 wrote: »

Yeah, I know. In both clips I shoot it into the air. You can shoot it straight up and it's the same radius as what's shown in the first clip.

It's smaller than in the beta. Looks to be about half the radius.

So no, it's not a lack of knowledge.

Good. Because the way flares work in BF1 is game breaking and it should never work like that again.