Battlefield 5 100% cpu usage bad fps stability

Comments

• KazeKage79
    71 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited December 2018
    Ok after further investigation, and testing. I isolated why I had one CPU pegged at 100%, and affinity for that thread only assigned to CPU10 instead to all of them.

Intel Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0 driver was the culprit...so any one with it installed should uninstall it and prevent windows from installing it again.

Since I removed it I have no more issue, and the game runs perfect.
    Post edited by KazeKage79 on
  • PcPAirgun
    633 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Congrats. B)
  • sexinvader
    42 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    dont have that installed but glad you sorted your problem out.
  • TheMach1nE2O2O
    1034 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Had 100% cpu and low gpu usage problem.

Fixed it by updating windows 10 to version 1809, switching to dx12 in game, FFR off, disabling gamebarwriter in task bar. Installed latest nvidia geforce driver.

Pretty solid 130fps now on High preset. No stutters or major drops. My last round I got 40+ kills to about 10 deaths where I was struggling to have a positive kd before due to the stuttery performance.

Dx 12/FFR off and all of the above.. cpu usage now 65-75%, gpu usage in the 90s. Game is buttery smooth finally.

Best BF since BF3/BF2. Great map design. (Especially the latest addition)
  • Hkpowa
    29 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Had 100% cpu and low gpu usage problem.

Fixed it by updating windows 10 to version 1809, switching to dx12 in game, FFR off, disabling gamebarwriter in task bar. Installed latest nvidia geforce driver.

Pretty solid 130fps now on High preset. No stutters or major drops. My last round I got 40+ kills to about 10 deaths where I was struggling to have a positive kd before due to the stuttery performance.

Dx 12/FFR off and all of the above.. cpu usage now 65-75%, gpu usage in the 90s. Game is buttery smooth finally.

Best BF since BF3/BF2. Great map design. (Especially the latest addition)

You are a luck one lol
    I've done everything you said already and the game is still unplayable with 100% CPU usage and GPU barely above 30/40%
  • Fruxen
    139 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    CPU utilization changes a lot between different maps and locationa so I have a feeling that not all comparisons in this thread are apples to apples. On some maps my CPU is fine at 75-80% and on others like Rotterdam it's more like 85-90% with spikes to 100% and stuttering. Changing settings doesn't help as much as one would expect.

I wonder how much loading all those custom outfits (that you can't really see in-game anyway) drag down performance when there are a lot of players around. :P In other games like WoW your fps drops by 1/3 when you enter a city with other people.
  • ZeuZx
    80 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    KazeKage79 wrote: »
    Ok after further investigation, and testing. I isolated why I had one CPU pegged at 100%, and affinity for that thread only assigned to CPU10 instead to all of them.

Intel Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0 driver was the culprit...so any one with it installed should uninstall it and prevent windows from installing it again.

Now imagine being EA support when you are flooded with screachers yelling at you saying the game is broken? I'd say 99% of the time its either user error, or some type of hardware/software issue. Unfortunately thats the nature of PC gaming and its vast setups lol. I'm happy you figured it out though!
  • KazeKage79
    71 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    ZeuZx wrote: »

Now imagine being EA support when you are flooded with screachers yelling at you saying the game is broken? I'd say 99% of the time its either user error, or some type of hardware/software issue. Unfortunately thats the nature of PC gaming and its vast setups lol. I'm happy you figured it out though!

Thanks! And yeh people really need to take a close look at their system and see what should and should not be there. I thought my system was flawless without any crap installed on it...
  • Nodraz
    3 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited December 2018

Yeah, it seems thats the answear.
    For some reason Frostbite engine is forcing CPU to throthle (by going 100%) and with "boost mode" it seems that Windows don't know what to do, so it decrease CPU power dramaticly (from 4,6GHz to 1,2GHz) for few seconds.

So for all AMD FX users - try to turn off "boost mode" and power saving features in BIOS. This fixed all my issues. Now I get stable 60FPS with FX8350 in 4K.

PS Other new games DOESN'T provide such problems (Forza Horizon 4, AC: Odyssey, CoD Black Ops 4).
    PS#2 And for all the "your PC is not enough" people and especially old AMD CPUs haters - you were wrong.
  • D4rkut
    10 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited December 2018
    Overclocked i7-6800k to 4.2ghz with an OC GTX1080 here, and what I have noticed is that CPU 11 is always at or close to 100% usage while the others are fine with overall CPU usage of around 40-85%. This behavior causes some weird stuttering both in DX11 and DX12. I have played around with many in game setting without any positive result.

The only solution I have found is to disable CPU11 affinity (cpu10 in task manager), and the game runs silky smooth. My fps stays above 110 fps at 1440p with lighting and post process on medium, and the rest mixed of ultra and high.

I have noticed this CPU behavior in BF 1 and 4 as well, but BF4 is not affected by any stuttering.

So i dont know if this is specific to my system, and/or there is poor optimization in the game engine to use 12 threads.
    I have tried to turn Hyperthreading off but it does not make the game run any better, I still have to disable one CPU to get a smooth game.

And no other program is running in the back ground except for MSI afterburner.

I use DX12 and have same spec and Working for me ! :) Disable CPU11 affinity permenantly

System Explorer 7.1
    https://www.clubic.com/telecharger-fiche401872-system-explorer.html

Thx

D4rkut
  • tedrampart
    110 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited December 2018
    I noticed a lot less stuttering on my system after changing from High Quality to Quality in the NVCP. where I'd normally get a stuttering mess in devastation of like 50-100fps up and down.. to a pretty tighter 100-120fps (all while accidentally forgetting to turn off twitch streaming in the background). Not sure if that will help OP since he's on an RX card, but anyone in the nvidia camp might give it a try if they changed it from the default.

edit - to clarify, it was the settings under Manage 3d settings > global > texture filtering quality.. not the adjust settings with preview.
  • KazeKage79
    D4rkut wrote: »
    Overclocked i7-6800k to 4.2ghz with an OC GTX1080 here, and what I have noticed is that CPU 11 is always at or close to 100% usage while the others are fine with overall CPU usage of around 40-85%. This behavior causes some weird stuttering both in DX11 and DX12. I have played around with many in game setting without any positive result.

The only solution I have found is to disable CPU11 affinity (cpu10 in task manager), and the game runs silky smooth. My fps stays above 110 fps at 1440p with lighting and post process on medium, and the rest mixed of ultra and high.

I have noticed this CPU behavior in BF 1 and 4 as well, but BF4 is not affected by any stuttering.

So i dont know if this is specific to my system, and/or there is poor optimization in the game engine to use 12 threads.
    I have tried to turn Hyperthreading off but it does not make the game run any better, I still have to disable one CPU to get a smooth game.

I use DX12 and have same spec and Working for me ! :) Disable CPU11 affinity permenantly

System Explorer 7.1

Thx

D4rkut

I found the permanent fix. uninstall intel max turbo boost 3.0 ( and stop windows from installing it), then you dont have to disable anything
  • ShltPlaYer
    125 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I just reinstalled windows for the 3rd time I still have high cpu usage but o have no more stutter or large frametime spikes. I will say on the other windows installs I done I reinstalled windows but there were always files left over and this time I reset pc totally and formatted all my drives and there were no files left and as of now the 3 games I played they were butter smooth with 1440p mostly ultra settings and frames locked at 165
  • Ceofreak
    1 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Hi there,

I also had low FPS issues and what helped me was using this fix. I had low FPS and stuttering actually, the stuttering went away completely and I was able to increase my FPS as well.

Maybe it can help someone.
  • Roger8700
    13 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Ceofreak wrote: »
    Hi there,

I also had low FPS issues and what helped me was using this fix. I had low FPS and stuttering actually, the stuttering went away completely and I was able to increase my FPS as well.

Maybe it can help someone.

I use it for Battlefield 1 and Battlefront 2 works, but not for Battlefield V which still has random stuttering.

Please DICE fix the game.
  • PauIoCosta
    312 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    cpu 49% gpu 50% 120fps locked, all high and medium 1080p
  • StingX71
    824 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    PauIoCosta wrote: »

All that rig for 1080P?
  • StingX71
    824 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited December 2018
    Fruxen wrote: »
    CPU utilization changes a lot between different maps and locationa so I have a feeling that not all comparisons in this thread are apples to apples. On some maps my CPU is fine at 75-80% and on others like Rotterdam it's more like 85-90% with spikes to 100% and stuttering. Changing settings doesn't help as much as one would expect.

I wonder how much loading all those custom outfits (that you can't really see in-game anyway) drag down performance when there are a lot of players around. :P In other games like WoW your fps drops by 1/3 when you enter a city with other people.

RD is one of my biggest culprits as well with same performance as you. Dialing in resolution scaling helps but doesn't entirely fix the issue.
  • S0magical
    26 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    D4rkut wrote: »

System Explorer 7.1

Thx

D4rkut

how does one Disable CPU11 affinity permenantly? can you link me to somewhere please, thank you.
  • PauIoCosta
    312 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    StingX71 wrote: »
    PauIoCosta wrote: »

All that rig for 1080P?

to 120fps locked