Battlefield 5 100% cpu usage bad fps stability

Comments

• Lahoo_Eckbert
    1293 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited October 2019
    After a month or so I launched BFV today after the most recent update. It ran like crap.
    I capped frames at 120 and increased some of the graphic settings and resolution scale to take the load off the CPU. Turned low latency mode to ultra on nvida panel. Game runs smoothly for the most part but cpu hits 90%+ usage in  the usual suspects(devastation etc) and I get frame drops and stutter. 

On fjel(likely the least taxing map on cpu and gpu) my gpu usage was around 70-80 with the 120 frame cap and my cpu was also around 70%.

The stutter might temporary since I didn't turn on the game for too long and this was right after a big update, but the High CPU usage is still there.I've also updated windows a couple of times in the last month or two. 
     I'm playing on DX12 1080p with res scale up to 120.

• charlyfvs
    1 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Same problem here, it used to run just fine, with a rock solid 60fps on Ultra 1080 with these specs:
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1070-Ti
    CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 
    RAM: G.SKILL F4 DDR4 3000 C16 1x16GB

Now it uses 99~% of the CPU, 7~% of the GPU and has constant frame drops down to 45fps... 
  • TFBisquit
    1915 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    The game wants at least 6 threads, windows and background tasks want one too.
    So with just 6 cores/threaads the cpu will go high in usage, in general since it has to share one thread with other tasks.
    Now this doesn't explain 6/12 cpu's struggling. Like the 8700k's.
    But on many i7 computers it runs just fine. Some have a clean windows install, with a minimum of background programs, some have social media and/or discord/teamspeak/whatever running alongside.
    Then some have several anti virus scanners running without realising it, multiple background tasks like webservices that give a message when your fav trouser is on sale etc etc.
    Some have videocard drivers installed over the old ones, then again and again, without a proper uninstall.
    In short, many times it's because of the pc.
    To be fair, it used around 60% cpu on my i7 2600k, 1080p and/or 1440p. It runs around 50% on my 9900k, usually a bit less. Either one of both resolutions.
    DX11 stutters less, gives less fps but runs smoother overall. DX12 gives higher fps, but has some performance issues like stuttering etc etc.
    And that's not even going into old power supplies not giving enough power to the components for any specific game, videocards that throttle due to heat/oc thus push the load back on cpu etc etc.
  • Titan_Awaken
    821 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    charlyfvs said:
    Same problem here, it used to run just fine, with a rock solid 60fps on Ultra 1080 with these specs:
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1070-Ti
    CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 
    RAM: G.SKILL F4 DDR4 3000 C16 1x16GB

Now it uses 99~% of the CPU, 7~% of the GPU and has constant frame drops down to 45fps... 
    Single channel RAM, that's your problem. Get another 16GB module (same brand, same speed, same size) and watch your FPS skyrocket. Dual channel RAM doubles the bandwidth of memory your CPU can access.

With a system like that, you should have no problem averaging at least 90-100 FPS. 
  • RayD_O1
    986 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Had 100% cpu and low gpu usage problem.

Fixed it by updating windows 10 to version 1809, switching to dx12 in game, FFR off, disabling gamebarwriter in task bar. Installed latest nvidia geforce driver.

Pretty solid 130fps now on High preset. No stutters or major drops. My last round I got 40+ kills to about 10 deaths where I was struggling to have a positive kd before due to the stuttery performance.

Dx 12/FFR off and all of the above.. cpu usage now 65-75%, gpu usage in the 90s. Game is buttery smooth finally.

Best BF since BF3/BF2. Great map design. (Especially the latest addition)
    Yeah I always disable Gamebar Writer in task bar every time I launch the game. Do you know how to permanently disable it. ?

I also stop Runtime  Broker running in taskbar, sometimes there are 3 or 4 instances running.

All of them seem to adversely affect the game.

• I_LiK3_TWiX
    1 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited November 2019
    I had same problem. Now its gone.

My system: i5 4690K @ 4,7ghz // 2x8gb 2400mhz // RX Vega 56 // Win 1903 // Full hd 144hz Monitor (no freesync ore gsync)

I play with constant 100fps. No stutter, no lag. It runs smooth with stable fps.
    All i did is:

- Dx12 off
    - high dynamic range off
    - All to low
    - Vsync on
    - 1920x1080 @ 100Hz (ingame setting)
    - high res. to 150%
    - Future frame rendering on
    - Ui-upscaling high
    - gpu storage limit mid

with dx12 i put high res. to 125%, still smooth with 100fps.

You dont need a i9 and a 2080ti... just the right settings.

Edit: I forgot something important; I set this in origin start option: -low
    Post edited by I_LiK3_TWiX on
  • ro7hbard
    161 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I have an issue sometimes where it is like I can't move left and right. It could be FPS drops but its hard to notice. Is that this same issue ?
  • ViolationofDerp
    138 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited November 2019
    Same here, just replaced my r9 390x with a rx 5700xt and everything actually got worse. Now I have INTENSE micro stutter all the time, also every now and then the game randomly crashes. Money well spent, thank you dice for ruining the game experience AGAIN.
    Every other Battlefield game was in a far more polished state after 1 year of release, this is an absolute joke.
  • opsis_1
    233 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Same here, just replaced my r9 390x with a rx 5700xt and everything actually got worse. Now I have INTENSE micro stutter all the time, also every now and then the game randomly crashes. Money well spent, thank you dice for ruining the game experience AGAIN.
    Every other Battlefield game was in a far more polished state after 1 year of release, this is an absolute joke.
    I hate to be that guy..lol
  • bass-junkie-xl
    543 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    replaced my 8700k delided @ 5.1 ghz  with a 9900 ks  @ 5 ghz  this is on a ASUS X -HERO  Z -370 LATEST BIOS 2103  i seen about 20 % less cpu usage and still iwas geting up to 80 % usage and spikes of 100 % usage on loading maps ! 
    game frame times improved a little bit vs a 8700 [email protected] 5.1 ghz  . 

i found somthing out  i have a 1080 ti @ 1440p  i play mixed ultra  with 4000 mhz ddr4 so my gpu is always 100 % usage all the time . 

i noticed if i cap my fps to say 110  vs 141   and keep my gpu usage in the  90 -  94 % usage not 99 %  frame times and  those tiny frame time spikes almost go away !  

i always use msi after burner  on screen display with frame times graph on screen so i can see the spikes and changes . 

this game can  eat even a 9900 ks @ 5 ghz if you lower settings to get 150 + fps  !  

i tested my 8700k @ defaults  4.3 ghz and ram back to 3000 mhz  same 1440p mixed ultra  an d the 8700k and 3000 mhz memory was a bottle neck !  gpu wouldnt go above 82 %  went back to 5.1 ghz and 4000 mhz on the ram   (  prime 95  small fft  , asus real bench , hci mem test  stable )  and  no bottle neck .  

- the asus x hero z370 wifi can run a 9900k , 9900 ks just fine no throttling  btw .

• Jinko_itx
    760 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    replaced my 8700k delided @ 5.1 ghz  with a 9900 ks  @ 5 ghz  this is on a ASUS X -HERO  Z -370 LATEST BIOS 2103  i seen about 20 % less cpu usage and still iwas geting up to 80 % usage and spikes of 100 % usage on loading maps ! 
    game frame times improved a little bit vs a 8700 [email protected] 5.1 ghz  . 

i found somthing out  i have a 1080 ti @ 1440p  i play mixed ultra  with 4000 mhz ddr4 so my gpu is always 100 % usage all the time . 

i noticed if i cap my fps to say 110  vs 141   and keep my gpu usage in the  90 -  94 % usage not 99 %  frame times and  those tiny frame time spikes almost go away !  

i always use msi after burner  on screen display with frame times graph on screen so i can see the spikes and changes . 

this game can  eat even a 9900 ks @ 5 ghz if you lower settings to get 150 + fps  !  

i tested my 8700k @ defaults  4.3 ghz and ram back to 3000 mhz  same 1440p mixed ultra  an d the 8700k and 3000 mhz memory was a bottle neck !  gpu wouldnt go above 82 %  went back to 5.1 ghz and 4000 mhz on the ram   (  prime 95  small fft  , asus real bench , hci mem test  stable )  and  no bottle neck .  

- the asus x hero z370 wifi can run a 9900k , 9900 ks just fine no throttling  btw .

the 9900k was designed to run the 2080 ti, so going from 8700k to 9900k with a 1080 ti wont really give you much improvement...