Helpful tip that might reduce your microstuttering and increase you frame rate significantly

nick13200
5 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
Hey guys I just want to share a tip that removed my microstuttering and improved my frame rate alot.
I thought this game was very poorly optimized because my pc would only get about 70% utilization on both the cpu and the gpu.
It turns out that my computer was held back by the fact that I have 8gb of ram. When I did monitor the ram usage it only went up to 7 out of 8 gb so I though nothing of it.
But when I decided to check out the pagefile and it was using 11gb!!
When I moved my pagefile from my hdd (110 mbps write and read speed) to my ssd ( 3100mbps read and 1100 write speed) I gained a frame rate increase of 20 - 30 fps.
And the microstuttering was almost completely gone.
Just wanted to share this tip and hopefully it will help some of you get rid of the annoying stuttering.

Comments

• CrimeSceneKitty
    712 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Well unless you have a M.2 NVME SSD, there is no way your SSD is reading at 3Gb/s......secondly, why not upgrade your RAM?
  • Aii_Gee
    6 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Well unless you have a M.2 NVME SSD, there is no way your SSD is reading at 3Gb/s......secondly, why not upgrade your RAM?

Well, he probably does have an NVMe SSD, which isn't unusual (Lots of good deals out there now)

Moving pagefile to your SSD is an easier and quicker solution than upgrading your RAM.
  • IdiotBox
    41 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Aii_Gee wrote: »

Well, he probably does have an NVMe SSD, which isn't unusual (Lots of good deals out there now)

Moving pagefile to your SSD is an easier and quicker solution than upgrading your RAM.

If you can afford or are willing to spend the money on an NVMe drive, then you can afford or should be willing to spend the money on 16gb of ram. 16gb ram has been pretty "standard" for 4+ years now. NVMe drives just became pretty "standard" within the last 4 months.
  • nick13200
    5 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited November 2018

I have a nvme drive in my laptop that's why I can reach these speeds.
    I bought my machine with the specs I have now and the nvme ssd was in the machine and it only has 8gb of ram installed from the factory.
    I will probably upgrade my laptop to 32gb ddr4 ram.
    Atleast now I know what the issue is.
    Also laptop cpu's are usually too weak to play new aaa games but I have a desktop i5 8400 in my laptop so no worries xD
  • CrimeSceneKitty
    712 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    nick13200 wrote: »

I bought my machine with the specs I have now and the nvme ssd was in the machine and it only has 8gb of ram installed from the factory.
    Also laptop cpu's are usually too weak to play new aaa games but I have a desktop i5 8400 in my laptop so no worries xD

Ok things are making a lot more sense now that you said you have a laptop, you said PC in your post.
  • KryptoWasTaken
    1 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

Ok things are making a lot more sense now that you said you have a laptop, you said PC in your post.

He said PC and he was right... Laptops and Desktop both are PCs my friend, even the handheld Surface pro is a PC.

• TFBisquit
    1915 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Having 16GB ram let the game take over 8GB usually. So while it runs with 8GB, it prefers more. Same with ram on video cards. It will run on minimum spec, but if more available, it will take and use more=better gameplay overall.
  • Netranger9
    172 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I havent had a pagefile since windows xp,lol.
  • TapperSweden
    202 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Hey guys I just want to share a tip that removed my microstuttering and improved my frame rate alot.
    I thought this game was very poorly optimized because my pc would only get about 70% utilization on both the cpu and the gpu.
    It turns out that my computer was held back by the fact that I have 8gb of ram. When I did monitor the ram usage it only went up to 7 out of 8 gb so I though nothing of it.
    When I moved my pagefile from my hdd (110 mbps write and read speed) to my ssd ( 3100mbps read and 1100 write speed) I gained a frame rate increase of 20 - 30 fps.
    Just wanted to share this tip and hopefully it will help some of you get rid of the annoying stuttering.

How did you check the pagefile usage?
  • enek0id
    263 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Aii_Gee wrote: »

RAM is much faster anyway.
  • Elprez11
    33 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

Including how to move your pagefile would help.....