Hello guys and hopefully DICE,
as a veteran Battlefield player and after playing the beta + BFV on conquest for more then 30 hours, I'd like to give my 2 cents regarding the current performance of tanks. I've played the BF franchise since the first game (mainly as a tanker) and the experience has never been as pointless and frustrating as it is now, pulling an tank.
In previous games, the question used to be somewhere along those lines: "From which position can I impact the fight the most and support my team the best?"
In BFV your only relevant questions are: "How far outside the spawn or how close to to a point I dare myself to drive, before getting annihilate by a barage of katyusha rockets PF's"
Your awareness, skill and positioning won't matter ones the first PF's starts flying towards you. Their range, speed, velocity, damage and accessibility leaves us very little to no room for countering and surviving them. If they don't break your tracks or turret, which happens way to often even in a fully upgrated tanks, you're left there on a golden salver for everyone else to close the gap and finish you off. I don't think I need to mention what happens when 1 or 2 assaults happens to come from the side or the rear.
With the addition of character customization in BFV its also became harder to filter out the assaults from the other classes, meaning even if you stumble on a group of enemies on an open field in mid-range, you can't prioritise your targets.
One third of the current gameplay inside a tanks revolves around playing against peekaboo-assaults, the 2nd part you spend desperately trying to repair and during the third part your trying to spot and snipe infantry from afar if you don't want to waste your tank in the first 3 minutes driving close to a fight.
I can shorten up the Tank vs Tank experience pretty quick. They don't happen as often as I hoped but sometimes "...he pushes and I push...Every once in while, we push hard enough that the light breaks trough the clouds...so the world beyond the PF spam glimmers..." ...just to end up spamming rounds after rounds to get +3/+10/+14 hits on each others sides, till we both decide that this is bulls*it, call it off for today and drive back to the nearest assault who watched this spectacle laughing his **** off.
Is this what immersive gameplay should look like? Is it supposed to be like that, where two assaults can out-damage a Tiger by a longshot? Once an enemy group sees a heavy tank rolling towards them, their first instinct is not to take cover and try to outmaneuver him, its usually the other way around. Aren't tanks force multipliers and should be played and treated like that...especially since their numbers are limited?
I don't want the tanks in this game to be an unstoppable force that can dominate the match, but they should be able to support and interact on a higher level with the infantry reaching the objective. The enemy infantry should atleast think twice before starting firing at a tank.
I can't lean to far out of the window, when it comes to suggestion on how to quickly fix this issue without destroying the balance of other aspects in the game and knowing how much work it takes to implement them. A more balanced match up when it comes to AT vs Tank is in my opinion if they would deal the current amount of damage in tank vs tank battles.
Here are a few of my humble suggestions.
- reduce the velocity and damage from distance
- hitting diffrent parts of tanks should also be reflected in the damage the tank takes
- tracer trail should be visible for a longer period of time
- firing while not aiming down the sights, should make the projectile less accurate (to avoide the current peekaboo meta)
2.) Tanks (literally any improvements would help atm):
- improve tank survivability through more usefull specialisation ("mine clearing line charges" for the churchill as last upgrade is joke while the other 2 options are both for AT in game where u spend 95% of the time fighting infantry)
- mine clearing line charge are also blocking the view
- last 2 Churchill upgrates (AP rounds) are inferior to standerd rounds and useless
- "Emergancy repair" should just have a cooldown
- standard grenades shouldn't cancel the repair process in heavy tanks
- tracks should only be damaged by dynamite/mines (tanks are already very slow, making them completely unmaneuverable after 1 random hit by a PF is often the end of the tank, facing a group)
- the turret shouldn't brake as often, if you have the upgrades equipped
- splash damage needs a buff (an enemy sitting 100 meters away behind a car that is facing me shouldn't be able to run away with only 20 hp lost)
To summarize everything up, here's the TL;DR:
Make tanks a viable and usefull resource again!
Battlefield was always about combined arms, don't exclude the Tanks from having fun in this game, as I myself would rather keep on playing this game instead of quitting it.