Medics, are you craving more effective range?

Gforce81
3666 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
If I may be so bold as to make a small suggestion:

Try and work your way up to the MP-34. (Medic level 16)

I've found this gun to be a very versatile addition to the arsenal for my fellow field surgeons. When I first got it, I feel like I specced it incorrectly. I went for a larger mag and lesser vert. recoil when I started with it.

"Why need more ROF on an SMG I'm trying to augment my range with?" was my line of thinking. It is very controllable at range, but man did I suffer in CQB after that. The standard 514 ROF just isn't enough to be very effective up close.

After tinkering with it some more, I reset my specs and chose higher ROF this time as well as quicker bullet speed. Made a " { " sort of shape with the spec tree. (I don't have my game in front of me, so I can't name the specific ones I picked)

I've by far had the most success across as many different engagements as possible with this setup. Keep full auto for closer distances, indoors, etc. Swapping to single fire is key here, and is a unique advantage not seen in many of the SMG's. I would argue it edges in over the MP40 as the best "at range" SMG with this setup. The MP40 lacks a single fire mode, and I don't recall having quicker velocity as an option in the tree (I could be wrong tho)

Arras, CQ, defending A from attackers coming across the wide open field from waaaaay over at F. I was able to put it into single fire, and from the 2nd floor of the barn there, took down 3 attackers one by one by one. 2 didn't even have a chance to fire back, and I won out my fight with the 3rd who was also a Medic with my better accuracy. If you can nail headshots, you'll start to MELT people

It remains to be seen if DICE will adjust the SMG's with the upcoming patch; the MP-34 might help tide you over and give you more of a fighting chance at further distances

Comments

• VOLBANKER
    1111 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    But only 20 bullets then.
  • Aegis_Kleais
    374 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I think DICE did confirm the SMG's are getting a balance pass, but I don't know if that can be construed as a buff. Many times, the immediate adjustment that the public wants isn't the approach the devs take.

I've maxed my Sten, and EMP, but looking at the MP-34's stats in comparison lead me to not bothering with it. Also, I have nightmare with the game's netcode, so even my default go-to, the Sten, often takes a complete magazine for a single kill (at best). I can't fathom what the class would be like if I damaged who I saw and the gun truly was a 4BTK at those engagement ranges.
  • TheTopMostDog
    28 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I think it's great the medic finds itself slightly 'underpowered'. That's how it was with the earliest of Battlefield titles. Players choose the class to play the role, not to abuse the self-heal while racking up a killstreak.
    Balance of a primary weapon should always consider overall class effectiveness, taking into consideration all the other aspects of that class. A support that can gun forever (self ammo) has huge limitations to his primary weapons in the form of massive reload times, lack of ADS on some guns, and lack of range (except for maybe that one shotgun..). Alas, I think it's more than just a matter of balancing one class's weapon against another in terms of DPS, or what have you.
    Worth noting; I saw a video the other day where a guy was primarily using hipfire. I told my mate about that observation and he said it has helped him play Medic with the earlier guns. I wouldn't know; I've been busy getting my iron-sights bolt-action fix.
  • xx_Dante2k_xx
    628 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I seem to be doing ok with the sten, just one more challange for all good then I'm going to move on to another one. Probably the Soumi.
  • Holodoc_Prime
    19 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited November 2018
    I'd give the entire collection of current medic SMGs for a proper semi-automatic rifle. I love playing as medic, always did (hint at my name) but the fact that I have no way of defending myself in a game where every other profession has great mid to long range weapons is disappointing. The current line-up of medic weapons basically just comes down to very close range spraying and praying.
  • ItsMeJamige
    90 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I seem to be doing ok with the sten, just one more challange for all good then I'm going to move on to another one. Probably the Soumi.

The Suomi is a hip fire beast up close, very difficult at range unless you tap. I run mine with the extra large magazine.
  • SillySinStorm
    56 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Take 2 soldiers. Both equally capable of pulling a trigger.

Make one Assault. Give him bonuses to infantry and vehicular engagements.
    Make one Medic. Give him bonuses to heal teammates and revive downed allies. Now lower his combat effectiveness. For no other reason than the belief that "If you heal, you shouldn't be able to hurt"

Ab. So. Lutely. NO logical reasoning.

The SMG, if given to an Assault would be JUST as underwhelming. The issue is with the weapon (and/or netcode). NOT the class.

All 4 classes are soldiers. Soldiers do damage. The weapon class dictates effective ranges. Not the class.

Sadly, there are no mechanics which penalize long range classes from close range engagements, to promote an optimal range. If Sniper rifles required an animation sequence that was blurry and then came into focus, or LMGs took longer to engage/disengage bipod to gain suppression bonuses, this might help make SMG's more ideal for short-range engagements. But the game doesn't do this. SMG's are underwhelming because even at optimal engagement range, their damage and accuracy are poor.

So much this. I used to medic main when i had a choice of CQC and ranged weapons. Always PTFO'd and couldn't care less about kills. Now i have to waste smoke that i could use to revive just to get across open areas dominated by the other classes. If we can't have ranged weapons at least let our SMG's be able to compete at ranges better than they do currently.
  • bran1986
    5794 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I was going to spec my MP34 that way but it is just too painful of a gun to level up. The amount you give up in cqb and the results you get at range just isn't worth it to me.
  • TheTopMostDog
    28 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Don't get me wrong, if I had my way, every class would have access to bolt actions, while long range scopes would be reserved for the sniper subclass (not just recon). I'm not justifying it, I'm just explaining it the way I understand it. You cant forget that they're trying to force players to play a role within their squad. If you're medic, you're meant to be supporting your fellow damage-dealers, not be a one man army, yourself.
    However considering the ways in which the classes earn points, assault has it the hardest, requiring him to play objectives or get kills to score, whereas medic and support print their own points by running alongside allies, which is why they have less well-rounded weapons. In terms of weapon balance (and skill:reward curve), the recon I'd say has it the worst at the moment, with the SLRs not even one hit headshotting at point blank range, indicating a less than 2x multiplier for headshots for these guns (when they do 50hp+ dmg to the torso), and 6x scopes indeed having blur applied when first ADSing. Yet, I can be on the top of the team even in a deathmatch without firing a single bullet, by playing pathfinder and using the spotting scope and beacon. They have balanced the classes themselves, not the weapons across classes.
  • Aegis_Kleais
    374 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I'd rather have a mid-range SLR/DMR than a bolt-action Sniper. Bolt action would give me 1 shot kill ability at those ranges; not ideal for the class, IMO. Whereas if I could assist other squaddies at engaging mid-long range and get a couple shots on them, doing 30-40 damage per hit would be nice.
  • Gforce81
    3666 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    bran1986 wrote: »
    I was going to spec my MP34 that way but it is just too painful of a gun to level up. The amount you give up in cqb and the results you get at range just isn't worth it to me.

It was a little rough I'll admit. Definitely not as smooth as easier to use weapons.

Once I got to the ROF upgrade, it really helped. With ROF spec, it beats out the MP40. In my eyes, it offers the best blend between the "close quarters" and "mid range" SMG's.

I wouldn't advise using it w/o the ROF upgrade anymore. As you said, in CQB there are too many deaths you suffer when you are actively shooting at your aggressor, but they simply kill you faster
  • crabman169
    12847 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Disagree with buffing it's rpm and bullet speed; with less recoil and more rounds I believe the mp34 to be a better choice for past mid range (which is its strength). It's still effective in CQC but you've got to be accurate and/or hand back a little not goes balls first.

Lattery sight and it's actually pretty gud. It's rpm even buffed can't really compete against smgs and the ars in CQC so I find taking that over an extra 14 rounds is a bit of a disadvantage especially given that's it's slower rpm helps keep it so accuracte whilst firing (auto/bursting)

I dunno whatever works for you
  • bran1986
    5794 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    crabman169 wrote: »
    Disagree with buffing it's rpm and bullet speed; with less recoil and more rounds I believe the mp34 to be a better choice for past mid range (which is its strength). It's still effective in CQC but you've got to be accurate and/or hand back a little not goes balls first.

Lattery sight and it's actually pretty gud. It's rpm even buffed can't really compete against smgs and the ars in CQC so I find taking that over an extra 14 rounds is a bit of a disadvantage especially given that's it's slower rpm helps keep it so accuracte whilst firing (auto/bursting)

I dunno whatever works for you

I will probably go back to it when the smg buffs happen on December 4th, I'm hoping the right side becomes far more viable than it is now.
  • Verikauha
    32 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

The Suomi is a hip fire beast up close, very difficult at range unless you tap. I run mine with the extra large magazine.

Suomi KP (Finland Machine pistol) is made for trench cleaning..
  • MeFirstThenYou
    111 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Yes but the lack of versatile gameplay for the medics is only one issues.

The other issue is that it "looks" like medics are supposed to be good at close engagements. Fact is that they are not. Pretty much all smgs can easily be dominated by other weapons at this range. So the smgs dont even work in their own niche.
  • bran1986
    Yes but the lack of versatile gameplay for the medics is only one issues.

The other issue is that it "looks" like medics are supposed to be good at close engagements. Fact is that they are not. Pretty much all smgs can easily be dominated by other weapons at this range. So the smgs dont even work in their own niche.

The asaults get everything in this game. The most powerful ranged weapons in the game and then DICE for some reason gave them the second most powerful weapon in cqb. The m1907 will beat every single smg in the game except the 900 rpm Suomi, but has greater midrange capabilities than the Suomi lol. Suomi will go to a 6 btk at just 25 meters, while the m1907 can five hit kill out to 50 meters.
  • Noif1988
    116 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    IMO medic is quite UP class compare to other classes and medics are bit boring and have no any unique weapons like other classes. Only SMGs that force you to play close-mid range. Also medic class are quite rare in teams and it is sad because anybody can heal each other so does really need medic then even it has faster revive? Medic class need more love.
  • bran1986
    IMO medic is quite UP class compare to other classes and medics are bit boring and have no any unique weapons like other classes. Only SMGs that force you to play close-mid range. Also medic class are quite rare in teams and it is sad because anybody can heal each other so does really need medic then even it has faster revive? Medic class need more love.

The only unique weapon that seems to be coming is the ZK 383 which had a built in bipod and a variable fire rate from like 480 rpm to 700+. It was meant to be a squad automatic weapon but built for 9mm. Of course DICE will make it kick like a mule unless bipoded and it will do awful damage.
  • GrizzGolf
    1086 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Gforce81 wrote: »
    If I may be so bold as to make a small suggestion:

Try and work your way up to the MP-34. (Medic level 16)

I've found this gun to be a very versatile addition to the arsenal for my fellow field surgeons. When I first got it, I feel like I specced it incorrectly. I went for a larger mag and lesser vert. recoil when I started with it.

"Why need more ROF on an SMG I'm trying to augment my range with?" was my line of thinking. It is very controllable at range, but man did I suffer in CQB after that. The standard 514 ROF just isn't enough to be very effective up close.

After tinkering with it some more, I reset my specs and chose higher ROF this time as well as quicker bullet speed. Made a " { " sort of shape with the spec tree. (I don't have my game in front of me, so I can't name the specific ones I picked)

I've by far had the most success across as many different engagements as possible with this setup. Keep full auto for closer distances, indoors, etc. Swapping to single fire is key here, and is a unique advantage not seen in many of the SMG's. I would argue it edges in over the MP40 as the best "at range" SMG with this setup. The MP40 lacks a single fire mode, and I don't recall having quicker velocity as an option in the tree (I could be wrong tho)

Arras, CQ, defending A from attackers coming across the wide open field from waaaaay over at F. I was able to put it into single fire, and from the 2nd floor of the barn there, took down 3 attackers one by one by one. 2 didn't even have a chance to fire back, and I won out my fight with the 3rd who was also a Medic with my better accuracy. If you can nail headshots, you'll start to MELT people

It remains to be seen if DICE will adjust the SMG's with the upcoming patch; the MP-34 might help tide you over and give you more of a fighting chance at further distances

Ill take a look into it. I need more range when I'm trying to save my crew.