It's just not a good look, Dice

Comments

• houdimoudi
    10 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I just don‘t get the gender discussion. Historic accuracy? Nobody complains about the optical / reflex sights although they werent used in WWII except on Artillery / AA guns etc. but not on rifles. There are issues in this game, mainly with balancing, Tank and Medic viability etc. but the main Road DICE took is amazing. The gunplay, the removal of spotting, the trying to make the teamplay necessary. These are good steps. And the balancing will get fixed. No one right in their minds wont play a game just because there are women in it. You know, we are in 2018, not in the 60ties anymore.
  • HawkeyeAM47
    1275 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited December 2018
    Almost everything is [nope] at this point
    Post edited by LOLGotYerTags on
  • IManovBG
    74 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I still do not understand what is the problem with women in BF??? The problem related with them is the loud scream all the time, same problem exists with the men characters. I do not know anyone who died and screamed after that! I do not understand why we need all of this yelling and screaming from all over the place in these tiny maps.
  • Natetendo83
    996 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited December 2018
    IManovBG wrote: »
    I still do not understand what is the problem with women in BF??? The problem related with them is the loud scream all the time, same problem exists with the men characters. I do not know anyone who died and screamed after that! I do not understand why we need all of this yelling and screaming from all over the place in these tiny maps.

In Battlefield in general? There isn't a problem. There isn't even really a problem with them in a WWII game.

It's just that when anybody says that the WWII vibe would have been more authentic if the women were not in the game people lose their collective minds and then DICE sees this and thinks they are on some holy crusade.

Imagine if all of the British soldiers were running around with American accents. That would kind of break the immersion a bit, right? I know it would for me given the circumstances. But DICE didn't do that (thankfully). What they DID do was put women at the forefront of a WWII backdrop. It just clashes badly because the two just don't go together. On top of that, DICE are not consistent with their "inclusion." You can be a woman across the board, but you can't be black on the German side. It's weird that they dug on in black people fighting for Germany, but nothing else. They clearly did it considering history, so why did they follow history there but not with women? What's their angle? Why go half in when the two camps are 1) Give us all the inclusion and 2) Make it as authentic as possible. Going some weird middle ground just gives both camps a reason to be upset.

It kind of reminds me of the Resident Evil 5 controversy when people got upset that all the infected enemies were black people...in a game taking place in rural Africa. The complaints didn't stop there. People actually said that Capcom should have removed the black people and made them white, in spite of the location, to avoid being offensive. Thankfully Capcom just ignored it.
  • Dral13
    349 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Bad PR and social issues are two different things, I don’t think the original point was commenting one way or the other.

I could care less one way or the other about gender/race of soldiers, but it is frustrating when continuous PR blunders might hurt the game.
  • G-Gnu
    1154 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Dral13 wrote: »
    Bad PR and social issues are two different things, I don’t think the original point was commenting one way or the other.

I could care less one way or the other about gender/race of soldiers, but it is frustrating when continuous PR blunders might hurt the game.

Then maybe you should start to care then, because it hurts, and DICE seems to be going masochist style all the way.
  • 20200sfly
    353 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    ScoutQo wrote: »
    All of this fuss just because a company finally decided to give women and people of color the option to not be white men in their video game. I knew white men wouldn't give up the spotlight easily, but damn. It's all unfolding more pathetically than I could have anticipated. It's like watching a fish out of water gasping for air, but instead of just gasping for air, it thrashes around for like.....days. A lot of you in this thread are just mad that that banner with its quotes actually proves they're right for loudly taking this stance; the stance that they will offer women and people of color the option to insert themselves as avatars into the game and there's nothing you can do to force white male avatars on all players ever again. Ever. It will never be that way again.

Lol. You sound funny saying "people of color" over and over.

Btw - does that make Caucasians (ie. White people to you) "people without color" or "people of no color"?
  • CHAMMOND1992
    897 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    20200sfly wrote: »
    All of this fuss just because a company finally decided to give women and people of color the option to not be white men in their video game. I knew white men wouldn't give up the spotlight easily, but damn. It's all unfolding more pathetically than I could have anticipated. It's like watching a fish out of water gasping for air, but instead of just gasping for air, it thrashes around for like.....days. A lot of you in this thread are just mad that that banner with its quotes actually proves they're right for loudly taking this stance; the stance that they will offer women and people of color the option to insert themselves as avatars into the game and there's nothing you can do to force white male avatars on all players ever again. Ever. It will never be that way again.

Btw - does that make Caucasians (ie. White people to you) "people without color" or "people of no color"?

Blame white people for that misnomer.
  • Natetendo83
    996 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    20200sfly wrote: »

Blame white people for that misnomer.

I will never understand the idea of blaming an entire group of people for something. It's just as ridiculous as other racism/sexism/etc.
  • G-Gnu
    1154 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited December 2018

Damn , you missed the point so hard on this one.
    This would have been a non issue if they had announced the game as an alternative "artistic inclusionistic art style" WWII game.
    Most ppl do not care about what kind of character you play in games that has an open theme, this game was not announced as such and some stuff that they put in the game is expected to meet some resistance.
    Then ppl from EA and DICE went bonkers and truly powered off their brains with some really cringe worthy statements of there own playing a even more cringe worthy victim role (though it suites the behavior theme a lot , if you look around these days).
  • G4MBiNO
    38 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited December 2018
    That first reveal trailer got most people triggered and bfv never recovered, same thing happened with the xbox one with their reveal announcement of the console. Although they have made a really great experience on the xbox one now apart from it being underpowered initially it has done great with the ui experience i think and crossplay between pc and xbox is fantatstic.

I must say

The far left is infectious, it has gotten in everywhere (changing english common law free speech in canada, this has never happened ever until now) stupid ideas that dont make sense, lying to fit the narrative. We are at an age of freedom of information, you cant fool us, gender pay gap, bastardisation of white males, this **** goes so deep its out of control, and now we find it in games. Sure everyone should at least be treated fairly, and everyone has to be offended at some point (with out the quiet space to cry in) thats just life and interacting with other humans, is the agenda to make us so passive and accepting, maybe. But why, we are aggressive and stupid so maybe thats why, but please dont mess with my battlefield to fit some new agenda, i really want to like the game, but just playing it for five minutes everyone seems to choose to be a woman and hearing all the ladies screaming after going down on the field is a little disconcerting and annoying
  • oXGeminiXo
    352 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I dont see where they did anything wrong. It's ok for people to make the comments but not ok for a company to show that they are not bothered by them. I dont feel like dice or ea mocked the fan base but just let people know that they stand behind their beliefs. I think it is funny that people want the company's head for whatever reason they feel but feel hurt when the company isnt letting it break them. Kudos to the devs for standing behind their beliefs and not letting ignorance prevail. 👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏
  • G-Gnu
    oXGeminiXo wrote: »
    I dont see where they did anything wrong. It's ok for people to make the comments but not ok for a company to show that they are not bothered by them. I dont feel like dice or ea mocked the fan base but just let people know that they stand behind their beliefs. I think it is funny that people want the company's head for whatever reason they feel but feel hurt when the company isnt letting it break them. Kudos to the devs for standing behind their beliefs and not letting ignorance prevail. 👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏
    Ehmm OK, what ignorance are we talking about here, DICE and history or ppl and history and kind of want some of that in a WWII game ?
  • Captain_Kirkoid
    5 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

Dice you badly need to hire a public image firm

the community those of us who maybe able to set the tone on the forums and reddit and twitter we can help you by calming down the loud, angry, immature minority. BUT Dice right now should be about priorities. Just look at the text in the picture. Not a good look Dice. Stop acting like the victim and stop creating friction between you and the community. Fix the goddamned game.

Are you seriously from this planet? Loud angry immature is itself a loud angry immature comment and BY THE WAY...I feel loud and angry because I feel abused. Abused by the hype. Abused by the implied promises from advertising. Abused by the franchise I had come to love and respect. From BF 1 to this pile of crap is ridiculous and will continue to be because of reactions like yours which are "oh, ok, please, sorry, but if you could, that's great, hey thanks, I don't mean to" placating superficial tripe that will keep the status quo and make sure none of this is taken seriously enough to be a business model changer. Which is whats needed. There's a marketing money minded political machine behind the releasing of such incomplete crap and behind the ratings for which bugs to target first. Consider the number of years Frostbite has been in development. Consider the academic and experiential requirements for getting a job in one of DICE's development teams. And still, the same bugs. The complaints have changed. They've become louder because we're having to pay more for the privilege of playing such crap. Respawn times on Conquest have always been long. If you die 20 times in a match, not unheard of and quite a regular occurrence, and play 5 or 6 matches maybe a day or even a week, that's around 8 or 9 minutes. Not long, but over a year, and this is all estimation, its around anywhere from 40 to 400 hours a year of YOUR life you've lost just simply staring at the screen waiting to play something you've already paid for and continue to pay for through subscription, electricity fees blah blah blah. I feel extremely abused and manipulated. I was recently banned for being loud and abusive because there's no conduit between consumer and the corporation for people who feel the way I do, most just bite it, vent their frustration somewhere else or ditch the game entirely. Well I've always been outspoken and have felt historically ignored by these money hungry dogs. We pay their salary. For sure children couldn't care less because its not their money and will always jump onto whatever their peers are into but there is an ever decreasing hard core band of BF veterans who have felt the battering and abuse and ignorance from day one. And people like you make it worse. So stop denying people their RIGHT to express and instead learn to listen, maybe then frustrations wouldn't reach the loud angry stage in the first place.

• OldSkoolIce
    44 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Dice you badly need to hire a public image firm

** Disclaimer: Mods this thread is NOT political in nature, it has nothing to do with politics and all to do with questioning Dice's priorities. If you feel like anything in the post is not appropriate please ask me to edit it rather than go with the usual thread lock.

*** Please keep political discussions out of the thread as any mention of it will likely get it locked.

Dice had a party I think in LA last week to celebrate the release of BFV. Cool. Everyone deserves to party after a job... done.

Enlarge the pic and read the small text (Smaller than the #Everyonesbattlefield part). It's some of our quotes. Not ours specifically but the quotes of some of our fellow idiots in the community. One of them was a thread here actually I think.

m9CtHeu.jpg

So Dice is taking such a beating from the community and the gaming community at large and they're acting like the victim. This is the same friction that idiot EA wig conjured up when he said my way or the highway don't like it don't buy it. Again this has NOTHING to do with the politics part and EVERYTHING to do with FRICTION. The EA wig decided to build a fence between himself and the community. And we know the result of that: He got canned, the game has (Likely) suffered sales wise, and the gaming community at large has made it their mission to trash the Battlefield franchise.

My question is… Dice, why are you following in his footsteps and creating friction between you and the community? Yes, the people who make the comments in your picture are idiots (And we the community would like to distance ourselves from them) but they're the same people the guy got let go for insulting. They're part of the target audience pie you’re trying to sell the game to.

So that political stuff shouldn’t be your priority *** at this moment in time *** . Fix the game and get out of the politics you keep telling us on the forums to get out of. Seriously, The game needs work, needs fixing. Keep the women, it's fine a lot of us get that IT’S A GAME, some may prefer authenticity but it remains a game so the mature ones in the community those of us who maybe able to set the tone on the forums and reddit and twitter we can help you by calming down the loud, angry, immature minority. BUT Dice right now should be about priorities. Just look at the text in the picture. Not a good look Dice. Stop acting like the victim and stop creating friction between you and the community. Fix the goddamned game.

Your main post is my favorite of 2018 & far better than any post read (let alone video on YouTube). I was critical towards Battlefield V for DICE hasn't done an good job with BF games since BFBC series. Now, I've mixed opinions on BFV itself (playing the game & has the potential to be an great game. But, it needs fixing) I do blame on two groups: DICE for the things you mentioned & video game community for complaining about everything to the point of developers catering towards certain groups while rest of the fanbase get toss aside.
  • Bamsmacked
    89 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited December 2018
    I feel like Dice has lost touch with it's core player base/audience.

I just don't see how anyone thought this was a good idea to do something like this right after the controversy with the pre-release trailer and Patrick Söderlund comments to the critics.

No one has an issue with being inclusive and the equality stance, people were just confused with the trailer because so many things seemed out of place and it didn't look like a WW2 feel or scenario. It looked steam-punky, you had a female soldier with a prosthetic arm, and another guy with a katana on his back -- it just seemed very far-fetched and out of place, and that's where most people starting to question the game, and then came the comments flaming the battlefield audience....

I fell like this just reignited the fire towards the player base and personally it's totally self-inflected. The game is already suffering from low sales compared to BF1and some merchants have heavily discounted it and it's only a few weeks old, I don't see why Dice/EA would want to create more division in light of that; but they did.

At the end of the day the costumer is always right though; we're not entitled to products of companies but companies aren't entitled to our money either.

With all that being said... I do enjoy the game, but I am disappointed with the commercial turn out. A lot of my friends are not buying the game because of all the stuff that's happened, and for that I can't blame them.
  • FINISHBURN
    46 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield Member
    edited December 2018
    A multimillion dollar company which has never heard the phrase "custumer is king", and doesn't know even the most basics about communication.

Poor multimillionairs struggeling with some fans and custumers who won't agree. Poor multimillionairs, what can they do? How are all other comapanys dealing with this kind of situation? Poor multimillionairs. That one guy who got fired because of his tweets, poor multimillionair. "Lets insult and attack few fans, instead of learning basic communication skills"-EA management.
  • Khronikos
    2139 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    How about we all chill out and try to help them make this an actually good game? The patch was a step in the right direction. It's going to take a lot more.
  • G-Gnu

Your main post is my favorite of 2018 & far better than any post read (let alone video on YouTube). I was critical towards Battlefield V for DICE hasn't done an good job with BF games since BFBC series. Now, I've mixed opinions on BFV itself (playing the game & has the potential to be an great game. But, it needs fixing) I do blame on two groups: DICE for the things you mentioned & video game community for complaining about everything to the point of developers catering towards certain groups while rest of the fanbase get toss aside.

It´s not the gaming community, it´s all DICE. They have gone into some "inclusive" mode with twisted thoughts about the world.
    Sigh, i mean i would not allow any thing bad happen to my daughters if i could stop it, but i will not build them a cocoon, sheltering them from the world and give them participation prices either, life is not always fair and some stuff you have to earn.
    Same thing with this stuff , changing history to their view to suit "inclusiveness". There are much better ways to fight equal rights and stuff like that then to go full bonkers as they did.
  • FINISHBURN
    46 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield Member
    G-Gnu wrote: »
    It´s not the gaming community, it´s all DICE. They have gone into some "inclusive" mode with twisted thoughts about the world.

Yes, having a deal with the DEAvil will make you do such things. Twisted thoughts, incapable of basic communication, random insults and accusations. Poor multimillionairs.
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!