Throwing Knife BUFF! (1/15)

Comments

• Aircool_212
    764 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Since the nerf I've only managed to get two kill, and that's because the campers failed to notice someone right behind them and the second guy failed to notice with his partner died to a throwing knife. However, the amount of times I've died due to the lacklustre throwing knives has rocketed. It doesn't help that knives are affected by the same issues as other weapons, notably hitting a static target and doing nothing.

Melee seems to have suffered as well, all my melee attacks from behind in the usual take down zone have resulted in a bit of damage, followed by the target turning around and hosing me with a KE-7 or StG 1-5.

The knives were just fine, and they were risky to use. You had to kill with one hit and there's a delay between being able to use them. I'd only died to them 3-4 times before the nerf. They weren't a problem, particularly when compared to bizarre gunplay that plagues this game.
  • Gforce81
    3666 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I have a couple clips I haven't got around to editing that demonstrate 99 damage hitmarkers at such a close distance it's painful

Also FYI, the TKs aren't exactly retrievable like just pick them up off the ground, but when any enemy dies for any reason, the little ammo pack he drops will resupply 1 knife
  • oXGeminiXo
    355 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I really was hoping they made these like of cod had theirs. I know cod sucks but the throwing knives was a perfect balance of skill and timing. Even if someone threw a random one across the map and killed me I wasnt mad I was laughing to hard and made sure he got a good throw message for it. I dont quite understand why they are nerfing things to the point it is a wasted slot. Grenades dont really work and honestly I find that most equipment in the game isnt really useful in the sense of making a part of your play style. Smoke takes to long to even start to animate after thrown and you can cook grenades and now people can just throw them so why even use it.
  • 0SiGHT0
    455 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Real talk: throwing knives don't even belong in the game.
  • TheSacar
    1005 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    0SiGHT0 wrote: »
    Real talk: throwing knives don't even belong in the game.

And why do you think so? Because I like them :smile:
  • Gforce81
    I still think the nerf was too harsh, but an interesting small advantage the TTK shift brought was more of a chance to be successful with the throwing knives. I must genuinely apologize to any Medics who may have run into me on PS4; losing an engagement in 1 instant in your supposed "optimal range" is a raw deal. The other classes seem a little less affected

I've started working them into my near CQB (up to maybe 35m at most) gear as recon , especially running a rifle that is not optimal for close quarters ( i.e. my Kar with x6 scope)

Tagging an enemy that far out with the TK is a great way to prep the engagement, create an opponent who is at 45-60 health rather than 100 as long as you're fast enough with your sidearm for the cleanup

It's important to remember the small ammo packs dropped by a downed enemy will replenish one knife, allowing you to cycle through numerous enemies as long as you can take them down and reach where they died.

The upshot is, the delicious flight path makes headshots possible at a little further. Not EASY by any means, but POSSIBLE.
  • JackL1vely
    202 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Gforce81 wrote: »
    I still think the nerf was too harsh, but an interesting small advantage the TTK shift brought was more of a chance to be successful with the throwing knives. I must genuinely apologize to any Medics who may have run into me on PS4; losing an engagement in 1 instant in your supposed "optimal range" is a raw deal. The other classes seem a little less affected

I've started working them into my near CQB (up to maybe 35m at most) gear as recon , especially running a rifle that is not optimal for close quarters ( i.e. my Kar with x6 scope)

Tagging an enemy that far out with the TK is a great way to prep the engagement, create an opponent who is at 45-60 health rather than 100 as long as you're fast enough with your sidearm for the cleanup

It's important to remember the small ammo packs dropped by a downed enemy will replenish one knife, allowing you to cycle through numerous enemies as long as you can take them down and reach where they died.

The upshot is, the delicious flight path makes headshots possible at a little further. Not EASY by any means, but POSSIBLE.

I've found it worse, to be honest. I prefer the new TTK because it outs bad aim and encourages better aim, but also gives you a millisecond more to react. It's almost negligable but makes a difference. People whine about it though because it's popular to do so.

But throwing knives feel so lame right now. I threw one at a dude's chest. He was literally 3 feet away and I hit him square in the chest for like 97 damage. Dude promptly sprayed me with an Assault Rifle and I died.

I thought that the Throwing knives were supposed to be a OHK from inside an 8m throw? This encounter proves otherwise... but maybe it was just a bug, or something. The time it takes between throws feels like it's been increased, too... but maybe that's just a perception thing. It feels... bad now.
  • Gforce81
    Yeah, 6.5m is the exact kill range now. I've had sooo many land for just 99 damage

My counter to this has been to try and swap to my pistol when possible before I throw, and expect at least 1-2 shots to clean up the target

It sucks when you land a stick that you expect to kill so you move your aim, but the guy doesn't die so you have to re aim. At least when you have your sidearm prepared, you'll have a little more chance
  • Imabaka70
    2432 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Yeah, 6.5m is the exact kill range now. I've had sooo many land for just 99 damage

My counter to this has been to try and swap to my pistol when possible before I throw, and expect at least 1-2 shots to clean up the target

It sucks when you land a stick that you expect to kill so you move your aim, but the guy doesn't die so you have to re aim. At least when you have your sidearm prepared, you'll have a little more chance

That’s my strategy if im on an afternoon objective as a scout I have my side arm out already as is. If I think someone is around the corner I have the knife ready to throw. You can always cancel the throw and don’t have to waste the knife
  • JackL1vely
    202 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Imabaka70 wrote: »

That’s my strategy if im on an afternoon objective as a scout I have my side arm out already as is. If I think someone is around the corner I have the knife ready to throw. You can always cancel the throw and don’t have to waste the knife

How do you cancel the throw? I've never been able to, I've pressed a variety of keys to attempt to but it never works?
  • nmccormick2017
    98 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I get the throwing knife is a kind of last resort weapon for most people and that's how it's balanced but damn this range nerf makes it unusable. Haven;t gotten a kill with it since the update
  • Imabaka70
    2432 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    JackL1vely wrote: »

How do you cancel the throw? I've never been able to, I've pressed a variety of keys to attempt to but it never works?

I believe as you are holding down the button that throws the knife(grenade button) you press the reload button it will look like you throw it but the count stays the same. Works with grenades as well.

I’ll verify that’s the right button next time I play
  • Gforce81
    I didn't realize you could cancel the throw, that's awesome to know

• Imabaka70
    @Gforce81 I’m sill loving the knives despite the range nerf.

• JackL1vely

My god, you guys seem to always come across other players who either aren't moving, or just aren't good... ;-;
  • Imabaka70
    JackL1vely wrote: »

My god, you guys seem to always come across other players who either aren't moving, or just aren't good... ;-;

lol I the other night flanked people on twisted steels bridge twice in one round. Knived and killed several each time. No one bothered to turn around hearing the sounds of team mates getting gutted
  • Hawxxeye
    7504 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I can still count the times I died to a throwing knife with my fingers
  • Imabaka70
    Hawxxeye wrote: »

Yeah I’ve died maybe 2 times to them but I already got the 300kill gold tag for them. I use them a lot especially for prone campers I sneak up on
  • Gforce81

Yeah I’ve died maybe 2 times to them but I already got the 300kill gold tag for them. I use them a lot especially for prone campers I sneak up on

working my way there bit by bit.

Been distracted with other classes at the moment, but I have my eyes on that gold dogtag ;)
  • Imabaka70

working my way there bit by bit.

Been distracted with other classes at the moment, but I have my eyes on that gold dogtag ;)

Nice I got all classes to level 20 but that m30 drilling or m1a1 carbine call to me a lot.