Anyone get any WW2 vibes at all?

Comments

• Loki_Deezie
    872 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    suffice_ls wrote: »
    The problem is people don't feel its a WW2 game mainly because its missing the iconic WW2 moments that everyone sees in movies ect.

Yeah, you can add "the sound of women whaling as if they're giving birth and/or taking it up the number 2" to that.

As for the feel, maps, and guns. Yes I feel the WW2 in it but it seems people want to go back to games being the way they were 10+ years ago which is fine. Just know that if they were to do this the player base would be diminished. Anyone that says otherwise is in denial. The new generation of gamers would never think of playing BFBC, BFBC2 ect.

Please elaborate on any of that with research data -- preferably quantitative data -- or at least an explanation of what you mean by any of it.

> "Yes I feel the WW2 in it but it seems people want to go back to games being the way they were 10+ years ago" -- WW2 game s felt more like WW2 games 10 years ago?...If so, why? BTW, I would say that World at War, which was released 10 years ago did feel WAY more like a WW2 game than this game.

> "Just know that if they were to do this the player base would be diminished. Anyone that says otherwise is in denial." -- How would you know? Look at the complaints...you saying that the majority are in denial?

The new wave of gaming has hit and these big AAA companies are trying to adjust and some are going through more growing pains than others.

Again, what are you talking about? The only new thing I can think of is the change in the world of politics.

I am just saying from what I am seeing in games/players/devs these days. I have no research data or anything like that just going on my 25+ years of gaming.
    It wasn't until recently with the trends in games going this way.
  • Crazymoooseman
    39 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    The map Devistation feels like WW2. The rest of the maps dont.
    Agreed. Devastation's probably my favourite.
    If they could do all the locations from the original battlefield 1942 that would be amazing.

WELL!....DLC being free is SO gonna mean: Remastered maps
    Titanfall 2 (another EA game with free DLC) had 6 DLC maps (LiveFire maps don't count)...5 of the 6 DLC maps were remastered maps from Titanfall 1.

Woah there buddy, they also included a firefight mode and a new titan (which balanced well with the others), don't be putting titanfall 2 down, that game, and its developers are great.
  • jlayton1982
    162 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited December 2018
    You don't get any WWII vibes because you were never there in the first **** place.

I really don't know what people expect. Walking for hours in countryside Europe, and getting ambushed by a Tiger tank? Landing on Normandy and getting mowed down by Machineguns with no chance to fight back?

Dude it's a video-game. It's never going to be an authentic experience of any war. Theres ****, theres brits, theres tigers and spits. All inside a Battlefield formula. Your "vibes" are nothing more than mere impression. You can play a speech from dear old Adolf in the background if it makes you more "vibey".

If this game made you assault entrenched positions with a bolt-action rifle, you'd all be whinning. I get not wanting women in the game, but this "waaah it's not WWII" is pathetic.

History repeats itself every single Battlefield title. Freaking unbelievable...

I wasn't at Ypres or the Somme in WW1 but when I visited Belgium and France in 2016 and stood in the British and German war cemeteries and looked out over the fields you got a small sense of what it must have been like to fight there.. The distances they had to travel uphill towards the opposition trenches under machinegun and rifle fire. Or standing on top of Hill 60 near Ypres and realising that the trenches were only dozens of yards from each other at various times of the war until the Australians dug underneath the Hill and blew the whole thing up killing most of the Germans who occupied it after a German victory.

You didn't need to be their at the time to get a small sense of what it was like considering we have had the battles described by those who were there, video showing what happened and the war scrutinised by history professors.
  • suffice_ls
    492 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I am just saying from what I am seeing in games/players/devs these days. I have no research data or anything like that just going on my 25+ years of gaming.

Again, elaborate.
    "It wasn't until recently with the trends in games going this way." -- What way? What trends?

Another thing....You REALLY think gamers would never think of playing BFBC2?...made with today's version of Frostbite?...Damn, it would kill BFV, dead. Outrageous.

• Loki_Deezie
    872 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

Again, elaborate.
    "It wasn't until recently with the trends in games going this way." -- What way? What trends?

Another thing....You REALLY think gamers would never think of playing BFBC2?...made with today's version of Frostbite?...Damn, it would kill BFV, dead. Outrageous.

Yes no new gamers would play it long. The maps would be to big for them as people are complaining about maps like arras and hamada being to big.

Biggest new trend I can think of is micro transactions. This is a very new thing to gaming and its ruining the industry.

The fact that players need to be coddled with content, unlocks and personal progression.
    They would have to really change BF games made before bf3 to appease the new generation of gamers.
  • xXPvZMaster420Xx
    104 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    munkt0r wrote: »
    Not sure, I wasn't in WW2.

• jlayton1982
    162 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

Again, elaborate.

Yes no new gamers would play it long. The maps would be to big for them as people are complaining about maps like arras and hamada being to big.

Biggest new trend I can think of is micro transactions. This is a very new thing to gaming and its ruining the industry.

The fact that players need to be coddled with content, unlocks and personal progression.
    They would have to really change BF games made before bf3 to appease the new generation of gamers.

Hamada and Arras and even Twisted Steel to an extent with a few more transport vehicles spawning around the map would make them seem smaller to people playing as infantry.
  • suffice_ls
    492 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited December 2018
    Woah there buddy, they also included a firefight mode and a new titan (which balanced well with the others), don't be putting titanfall 2 down, that game, and its developers are great.

Firefight mode? That must've released after it started to take +-15mins to find Hardpoint matches. And yes, i confess, I forgot about Monarch....but big whoop though...The game didn't even get any content in the 12th month of its lifecycle.

No, sorry @Crazymoooseman , I agree that Respawn are great (eventhough a whole bunch of them have now left and re-joined Infinity Ward, believe it or not)...but Titanfall 2 was a let-down...set-loadouts for titans and reduced verticality were heartbreaking deviations from Titanfall 1....and then, of course, there was the poor effort towards new maps. No bueno.
  • Loki_Deezie

Again, elaborate.

Hamada and Arras and even Twisted Steel to an extent with a few more transport vehicles spawning around the map would make them seem smaller to people playing as infantry.

Agreed. I don't even find them very big. Hamada being the larger one still feels smaller than most BF maps pre 2010 mainly due to vehicle usage and lack there of. Tanks need a speed increase as i feel like sprinting and tank speed are about the same.
  • GuangFuZhongGuo
    410 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited December 2018
    Stahlmach wrote: »
    WW 2 Vibes from this Game ? Honestly not all. It really feels like a modern Warfare shooter with different skins. I mean this Trailer of " Hell let Loose " gave me in under 2 Minutes all the real WW 2 Vibe is miss in BF V:

Yeah. Truly NOT AT ALL. I cannot explain exactly why, but the game just doesn't feel like WW2. Maybe because DICE chose to focus on 'Unknown' battlefields rather than famous places like Omaha beach, Operation Market Garden, etc. And probably female soldiers and their screams?

BFV feels like a shooter game based on virtual history with some real WW2 guns. Thus, there's no astounding vibe feeling like I'm in the middle of the historical scenes.
  • jlayton1982

Again, elaborate.

Agreed. I don't even find them very big. Hamada being the larger one still feels smaller than most BF maps pre 2010 mainly due to vehicle usage and lack there of. Tanks need a speed increase as i feel like sprinting and tank speed are about the same.

I actually think the infantry need to be slowed down a little. It just seems like you can sprint around the map to quickly especially considering your carrying a gun, ammo, mines, rockets etc etc.
  • diagoro
    1592 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    The sounds of screeching wamen are immersive, just not for WWII.

More like a tennis match.
  • diagoro
    1592 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    The fun part is that if DICE gave you yet again a colour desaturated brown and grey Omaha Beach, or whichever Normandy village, 101st Airborne or ANYTHING resembling Band of Brothers or Saving Private Ryan, you wouldn't have been here complaining.

Well that is true. Altough I like the approach from DICE to tell some rather "unknown" battles, they should at least added some more known battles from WW2, even just from a marketing perspective.
    Why they showcased Norway we will never know. I personally hate this map anyway but I would love a conquest map in the Ardenne Forest, Stalingrad or in the D-Day Setting.

Perhaps a Norway map was the closest they could get to a Swedish setting.
  • jlayton1982
    diagoro wrote: »
    The fun part is that if DICE gave you yet again a colour desaturated brown and grey Omaha Beach, or whichever Normandy village, 101st Airborne or ANYTHING resembling Band of Brothers or Saving Private Ryan, you wouldn't have been here complaining.

Well that is true. Altough I like the approach from DICE to tell some rather "unknown" battles, they should at least added some more known battles from WW2, even just from a marketing perspective.
    Why they showcased Norway we will never know. I personally hate this map anyway but I would love a conquest map in the Ardenne Forest, Stalingrad or in the D-Day Setting.

Perhaps a Norway map was the closest they could get to a Swedish setting.

Sweden was neutral in WW2, so no battles happened there. There was plenty of fighting next door in Finland though as Russia tried to invade.
  • diagoro
    The onky thing that truly gives me the WW2 vibe this far is the roar of fighter plans, some amazing sound.
  • Crazymoooseman
    39 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I'm enjoying the game but no I don't get a real WW2 feel from this at all and I can't put my finger on why.

I think it's a myriad of things that really add up to take you out of the experience. Then I started to compare to games that made me feel like I was there, brothers in arms 1&2 specifically, and I was able to come up with more points.

1. The UI, this seems so basic but why don't things look more WW2 here? Why is my map a copy paste digital one like BF4? Why not give me a map drawn in the style of the 1940's, on paper, brown and tannish? Why not make your loadout screen more rugged looking instead of this "clean" modernist look that you could implant into any other generic modern shooter.

2. Non faction specific weapons. I didn't think this would be a problem, and I commend them for sticking to it with the vehicles but spawning as a german with a bren, or lee enfield, etc just feels wrong, I don't feel like I'm playing for one side or the other. And I don't think people are too opposed to this either, it works well for many games based on that era.

3. The accuracy/engagement range of many weapons. This game more than any other BF, I think, has put a huge emphasis on the mid to long range combat, specifically the assault and support dominating those ranges. The guns themselves really don't feel much different from one to the other, why not make the LMGs kick more? Or decrease the ROF for the semi auto rifles. The assault weapons and LMGs just seem to play almost exactly alike to each other when they shouldn't.

4. And I hate to say this, I didn't think this would be an issue either, but allowing players to choose their gender/race also rips me out of it. If this were a game set in modern times I wouldn't bat an eye at it. But when I'm playing as a german and I'm revived by a black woman, I just kind of say, "huh oh yea that's right, this is what I'm playing."

5. Maybe movement speed is too fast? I don't have much comment on this though, haven't thought it out

None of these take away from how much fun I'm having with the game, but they do detract from the WW2 immersion of the game.
  • diagoro

5. Maybe movement speed is too fast? I don't have much comment on this though, haven't thought it out [/quote]

It bugs me that I seem to move the same speed crouched, as standing. Often I'll go to crouch, than actually stand. It's just really odd.
  • Trokey66
    9038 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    munkt0r wrote: »
    Not sure, I wasn't in WW2.

But you must have seen Band of Brothers and/or Saving Private Ryan......
  • SilkWildey
    1033 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Yeah the immersion in this game is COD levels, just non existent.

It really is quite a poor game on nearly every level, gunplay is decent for a BF game but that's not saying much.

I haven't played since the patch, does it seem any better?
  • MikeGrecian73
    124 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Devs not gone for authenticity, inclusion of front line female combatants should be proof enough.