Weekly Debrief

Guide on how to get SLI working in bf5

Dragam
871 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
edited March 16
First off i want to say that no, there is no official sli support, but it is easy to get working, although it will only work with dx11, and not dx12.

1. First off you need to download the program Nvidiaprofileinspector version 2.3.0.0 https://github.com/Orbmu2k/nvidiaProfileInspector/releases/tag/2.3.0.0 , and run it.

2. Then you need to choose the "battlefield v" profile.

3. Set "SLI compatibility bits dx10 + dx11" to : 0x080116F5

4. Set "Nvidia predefined number of GPUs to use on SLI rendering mode DX10" to : 0x00000004

5. Set "Nvidia predefined SLI mode on DirectX 10" to : 0x00000002

6. Set "Anisotropic filtering mode" to : user defined (these filtering changes will prevent texture issues while using sli)

7. Set "Anisotropic filtering setting" to : x16

8. Set "Texture filtering - Quality" to : High quality

9. Set "Texture filtering - Negative LOD bias" to : Clamp

10. Set "Anisotropic filtering HQ Fix" to : On

11. Click Apply Changes and close nvidiaProfileInspector

12. Go to "C:\ProgramData\NVIDIA Corporation\Drs" and select both nvdrsdb0.bin and nvdrsdb1.bin and set them to read only.

Sli should now work with dx11.

Additionally sli works by far the best with motion blur set to 0 and future frame rendering set to ON in the ingame settings.

Issues using this profile is that dynamic wether effects (such as snow and rain) doesn't render. However, the profile provides about 97% sli scaling, provided nothing in your setup is bottlenecking it.

UPDATE : It appears that the ghosting introduced by sli has been fixed !

The sli profile running on my rig at 4k ultra :

3jD5rUM.jpg
Post edited by Dragam on

Comments

• jasonvp
    189 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    One other solution is to detach the BFV.EXE binary from the existing "Battlefield V" SLI profile, and re-attach it to the "Battlefield 1" profile. I whipped tis up back in mid-November:

• Dragam
    871 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited December 2018
    jasonvp wrote: »
    One other solution is to detach the BFV.EXE binary from the existing "Battlefield V" SLI profile, and re-attach it to the "Battlefield 1" profile. I whipped tis up back in mid-November:

You could do that, but then you lose the game specific driver optimization in the "unknown" section, which is why i choose to not mention that :)

Nice video otherwise, eventhough i don't recommend your solution... for some reason though, it only renders at 1080p in youtube :S
    Post edited by Dragam on
  • jasonvp
    189 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    As a follow-up to my post, some other suggestions from various folks:
    - Force anistropic filtering to "x16" in the NVCP - This might help with any of the visual glitches that pop up with SLI enabled.
    - Force frame rendering to "4" in the NVCP - This seems to help with the massive frame dumps at the potential cost of some input latency (I don't notice any).

• jasonvp
    Dragam wrote: »
    Nice video btw, although for some reason it only renders at 1080p in youtube :S

Thanks. I don't know why YT didn't complete the transcoding to 1440p or 4K. I did upload a 4K/60 vid; but it never went past 1080p for some reason.
  • Dragam
    As a follow-up to my post, some other suggestions from various folks:
    - Force anistropic filtering to "x16" in the NVCP - This might help with any of the visual glitches that pop up with SLI enabled.
    - Force frame rendering to "4" in the NVCP - This seems to help with the massive frame dumps at the potential cost of some input latency (I don't notice any).

One should always force anistropic filtering to x16 through the global profile in NVCP :p Sadly it doesn't fix the ghosting though :(

Theoretically this should indeed help, as the drops are caused by spikes in frametimes on the cpu, and allowing it to prerender more frames would alleviate that issue. However, using sli sadly overrides any changes you make to this setting - it specifically says so :

IRLQ3Ga.jpg
  • jasonvp
    However, using sli sadly overrides any changes you make to this setting - it specifically says so :

Thank you for that; I hadn't noticed. My frame dumps seem to have lessened over the course of the last week or so; I wonder if it's a driver thing that's been improving? I'm not getting them anywhere near as much I was back in mid-November when the game first dropped.
  • Dragam
    However, using sli sadly overrides any changes you make to this setting - it specifically says so :

Thank you for that; I hadn't noticed. My frame dumps seem to have lessened over the course of the last week or so; I wonder if it's a driver thing that's been improving? I'm not getting them anywhere near as much I was back in mid-November when the game first dropped.

I feel that the spikes have gotten alot fewer, and less drastic aswell :)
  • Dragam
    Bump for those apparently unable to use the search function on the forum.
  • ShevermiN
    390 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

Bump to remind people that this can cause issues with your game.... Do these edits at your own risk, I type this while reinstalling drives because nvidia inspector prevented my game from running.

Nothing tragic but if i was prone to panic I might be reinstalling the game by accident.
  • Kranden
    99 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Is there a workaround to getting SLI to function properly without FFR? Really not worth it to me to use FFR
  • Dragam
    ShevermiN wrote: »

Bump to remind people that this can cause issues with your game.... Do these edits at your own risk, I type this while reinstalling drives because nvidia inspector prevented my game from running.

Nothing tragic but if i was prone to panic I might be reinstalling the game by accident.

Obviously you wanna close nvidiainspector before starting the game, but if you did precisly what my guide says, then there should be zero issues.
  • Dragam
    edited December 2018
    Kranden wrote: »
    Is there a workaround to getting SLI to function properly without FFR? Really not worth it to me to use FFR

Sli needs at least 3 prerendered frames for frame delivery stability, as you will otherwise see massive stuttering from the spikes in frametines on the cpu.

This is the only game that lets you overwrite the otherwise driverforced 3 prerendered frames for sli, and it does technically function, but performance is atrocious with only 1 prerendered frame with sli.

But bottomline is - if you have used sli in any other game, you will have used the equivelant to future frame rendering enabled.

A way to get around the input lag, is setting g-sync correctly up - it will drastically reduce your input lag :)

https://forums.battlefield.com/en-us/discussion/168471/guide-on-how-to-correctly-configure-g-sync/p1?new=1
    Post edited by Dragam on
  • jasonvp
    I type this while reinstalling drives because nvidia inspector prevented my game from running.

PEBKAC in action here, unfortunately. Your issue had nothing to do with the inspector or the proposed changes.
  • Kranden
    99 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

Sli needs at least 3 prerendered frames for frame delivery stability, as you will otherwise see massive stuttering from the spikes in frametines on the cpu.

This is the only game that lets you overwrite the otherwise driverforced 3 prerendered frames for sli, and it does technically function, but performance is atrocious with only 1 prerendered frame with sli.

But bottomline is - if you have used sli in any other game, you will have used the equivelant to future frame rendering enabled.

A way to get around the input lag, is setting g-sync correctly up - it will drastically reduce your input lag :)

https://forums.battlefield.com/en-us/discussion/168471/guide-on-how-to-correctly-configure-g-sync/p1?new=1

Thank you for taking the time. I enjoyed using SLI in Battlefield 1 but I have a much better experience without FFR on in BF 5, its just a much faster paced game and I can definitely notice the input delay and its just not worth it to me. While I do have a gsync monitor it doesn't work in conjunction with the ultra low motion blur setting and I find that's more valuable to me than gsync.

Thankfully the new drivers have given me better performance with my 1080TI and I am having no problems staying above 130 FPS using a mixture of ultra/medium/low settings at 1440. If anyone is curious I had no problem getting SLI to function properly with 90% gpu usage on the first card with the newest version of nvidia drivers and the profile inspector.
  • Dragam

Thank you for taking the time. I enjoyed using SLI in Battlefield 1 but I have a much better experience without FFR on in BF 5, its just a much faster paced game and I can definitely notice the input delay and its just not worth it to me. While I do have a gsync monitor it doesn't work in conjunction with the ultra low motion blur setting and I find that's more valuable to me than gsync.

Thankfully the new drivers have given me better performance with my 1080TI and I am having no problems staying above 130 FPS using a mixture of ultra/medium/low settings at 1440. If anyone is curious I had no problem getting SLI to function properly with 90% gpu usage on the first card with the newest version of nvidia drivers and the profile inspector.

You are very welcome :)

What do you mean by the ultra low motion blur setting ?
  • bigguyhawaii
    362 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Thanks. I just followed bfv sli fix on utube and changed 3 settings. Now it runs a lot better than when I was using 416.34. With all terrain values at medium, mesh ultra, taa high everything else low I can get up to 209 FPS.
    Gigabyte Z390 gaming sli, i5-9600k @4.6, 16g 3000 mhz, gtx980 ftw in sli. Using the 417.22 driver.
  • Kranden

Its a motion blur technology on some new monitors

"Motion Blur Reduction for displays (ULMB, LightBoost, DyAc, ELMB, etc) are now very common on modern 120Hz+ gaming monitors. For example, many G-SYNC monitors come with a “ULMB” setting that can be turned ON/OFF. These technique utilize strobe backlights as the method of blur reduction."

Its a really useful feature for fast movement games like first person shooters, my current monitor the Acer XB270HU doesnt allow ULMB while using Gsync

Cool read on it from blurbusters

https://www.blurbusters.com/faq/motion-blur-reduction/

huge fan of it since using it in BF1
  • Dragam

Its a motion blur technology on some new monitors

"Motion Blur Reduction for displays (ULMB, LightBoost, DyAc, ELMB, etc) are now very common on modern 120Hz+ gaming monitors. For example, many G-SYNC monitors come with a “ULMB” setting that can be turned ON/OFF. These technique utilize strobe backlights as the method of blur reduction."

Its a really useful feature for fast movement games like first person shooters, my current monitor the Acer XB270HU doesnt allow ULMB while using Gsync

Cool read on it from blurbusters

https://www.blurbusters.com/faq/motion-blur-reduction/

huge fan of it since using it in BF1

While i do appreciate your explanation, i am aware of what the technology is, i just thought you were talking about some ingame setting - after all, the motion blur in the game doesn't work very well with sli :)

If i were to give you my personal opinion, i would deffo opt for g-sync over ULMB when using sli, as g-sync is the only thing that can completely eliminate microstutter, which is otherwise a constant annoyance with sli.
  • ShevermiN
    390 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I type this while reinstalling drives because nvidia inspector prevented my game from running.

PEBKAC in action here, unfortunately. Your issue had nothing to do with the inspector or the proposed changes.

To be fair I thought it would be fine to run the game with the temp and load monitors running because there is no problems with other gpu monitoring software from techpowerup.

Secondly the unpack of the DLC took a while and stuffed a few things ...
  • REPERCUSSIONS
    222 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    forcing sli seems to cause video glitches like crazy lines.... Any suggestions?