The practice range system is effectively useless for learning recoil control

Fryseboxen
70 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
Because in stead of spawning in as a selected class like you would in a normal game, you can in stead change weapons on the fly; convenient right?

Except that all the weapons are without any specializations. There is literally zero point to accurately learning recoil patterns if you can't include the effect of reduced horizontal recoil (which is something you're going to pick 99% of the time when it's available), and to a lesser extent vertical recoil. The whole point of practicing something like this is consistency, and if the recoil parameters are vastly different on the range then it's actually detrimental to your performance because you're simply learning yourself bad muscle memory. Funnily enough, the vehicles you spawn seem to have specializations.

Comments

• barnesalmighty2
    1475 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Test range is nothing more than a waste of time that should have been spent fixing bugs and testing balance.
  • Fryseboxen
    Test range is nothing more than a waste of time that should have been spent fixing bugs and testing balance.

No it's a great concept, but this little detail makes it useless. I went from a casual FPS player into a decent one from playing CS:GO aim maps offline within 2-3 months, it's much more faster and efficient than playing normal games for learning mechanical skill.
  • snakeater418
    247 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    It will probably include specializations in the near future, just because that would make sense. Why they didn't in the first place is a mystery
  • l_water_l
    1545 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited December 2018
    You could do the same thing by just joining an empty server though. All they would have to do is put a few silhouette targets near the ammo crate in each side's uncap zone.
  • R1ckyDaMan19
    476 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Fryseboxen wrote: »

No it's a great concept, but this little detail makes it useless. I went from a casual FPS player into a decent one from playing CS:GO aim maps offline within 2-3 months, it's much more faster and efficient than playing normal games for learning mechanical skill.

How did you change weapons on the fly? I cannot find a way apart from the shooting challenge. cannot test explosive damage and stuff either, or I have not found a way yet, oh and how do you get a light tank to spawn? I can only seem to get it to cycle between heavy tank and aa tank.
  • xxgrimrefferxx
    21 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Because in stead of spawning in as a selected class like you would in a normal game, you can in stead change weapons on the fly; convenient right?

Except that all the weapons are without any specializations. There is literally zero point to accurately learning recoil patterns if you can't include the effect of reduced horizontal recoil (which is something you're going to pick 99% of the time when it's available), and to a lesser extent vertical recoil. The whole point of practicing something like this is consistency, and if the recoil parameters are vastly different on the range then it's actually detrimental to your performance because you're simply learning yourself bad muscle memory. Funnily enough, the vehicles you spawn seem to have specializations.

Also what was wrong with the targets from bf4 that fell when they received 100 damage for switching targets. The bf4 version was fine layout wise.
  • xxgrimrefferxx
    21 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

How did you change weapons on the fly? I cannot find a way apart from the shooting challenge. cannot test explosive damage and stuff either, or I have not found a way yet, oh and how do you get a light tank to spawn? I can only seem to get it to cycle between heavy tank and aa tank.

And they dont allow you to choose different planes either, I think they just wanted people to get the concept of driving a tank etc. but I think they are missing a trick to use it for things like drop calculation, different loadouts etc. I hope they will update it in the future.
  • parkingbrake
    3202 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

Also what was wrong with the targets from bf4 that fell when they received 100 damage for switching targets. The bf4 version was fine layout wise.

I would have been completely happy with a BFV version of the BF4 Test Range, it worked great and I used it often for testing out combinations of attachments or whatever. The only thing it needed was some AI bots to shoot back. That's all they had to do, something that simple, and being client-side it didn't even need servers. But I suppose that would have been too simple for DICE....
  • Fryseboxen
    bumpe
  • snakeater418
    247 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited December 2018
    Ok, so I just tried the range for the first time and I can completely agree that is useless other than for learning how to operate a tank or plane.
  • Beat_Mangler80
    512 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I went there to master throwing C4 and I'm met with probably the worst practice range a video game has ever known.
    I wonder for the people that work there is this make them embarrass or to them this is funny?
  • SirTerrible
    1687 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    As it is now it's still better than nothing. Assuming they continue to update it I think it'll be a good addition to the game. Adding the ability to use specializations is obviously needed of course.