Practice Range - Am I stupid or is it?

Comments

• BURGERKRIEG
    1065 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Why not take the BF4 range as a template?

Moving targets, stationary targets at different ranges, your load outs available.

It was simple but it was functional. It needs to be functional first. Something an experienced player can find useful for months.

A range.

On which to practice.

Could someone send the designers a copy of a Battlefield game? I think it might be handy to have one laying around the office at DICE.
  • LOLGotYerTags
    14494 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    Eh.. I think this new range is above and beyond BF4's test range.

Map is larger for starters, more vehicle selections and I'm loving the "waves" of "enemies" too which helps with positioning.

• Koolaide3
    52 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

Map is larger for starters, more vehicle selections and I'm loving the "waves" of "enemies" too which helps with positioning.

Then ask your friends why they didn't allow the player to use their specific weapon specializations. I want to know the reasoning behind deliberately leaving it out because, to me, not having the ability to simulate what you will actually be using makes the range quite useless.
  • BURGERKRIEG
    1065 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Just tried it again. On PS4 pro when targets are sent to 100 meters they aren’t rendered unless you ADS.

When’s the patch for the practice range coming out? 😂
  • DavTan
    860 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

Eh, I seriously think your joking... I cannot imagine anyone thinking this range is better than bf4.
    What are you talking about .. more vehicle selection. There is a total of 1 tank and 1 mobile aa and a stupid car and a choice of 2 planes.
    No moving targets for tanks , no specs on guns , no sideways moving targets for tanks or infy.
    None of the targets are imbued with hitpoints.
    I showed my 11 year old both this range and bf4,s and asked them which is more useful and better designed ... Guess Which one they picked
  • Beat_Mangler80
    549 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited December 2018

That's a pretty amazing opinion.

I ran to the all vehicles section to try some out and all I saw was two vehicles and then that accordion music from Jurassic Park started playing:

:'(
  • LOLGotYerTags
    14494 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    Koolaide3 wrote: »
    Then ask your friends why they didn't allow the player to use their specific weapon specializations. I want to know the reasoning behind deliberately leaving it out because, to me, not having the ability to simulate what you will actually be using makes the range quite useless.

I have no idea why all the weapons arent able to be upgraded, Though I suspect it comes down to the fact that BEFORE you can upgrade them you need to use them barebones.. so having the ability to practice with them at barebones would assist in learning their recoil patterns, ROF etc.
    DavTan wrote: »
    Eh, I seriously think your joking... I cannot imagine anyone thinking this range is better than bf4.
    What are you talking about .. more vehicle selection. There is a total of 1 tank and 1 mobile aa and a stupid car and a choice of 2 planes.
    No moving targets for tanks , no specs on guns , no sideways moving targets for tanks or infy.
    I showed my 11 year old both this range and bf4,s and asked them which is more useful and better designed ... Guess Which one they picked

1 tank?

Look behind where the first tank is, There are 2 plungers ( switches )
    Press the one behind the empty space to spawn the german tanks ( you can press multiple times to cycle the tank types I think )

Same for the plunger behind the already spawned tank but allied faction.

There is a transport run you can do to practice roadkills, Yes you only get a fighter and a bomber BUT did you not notice on the airfield a further 3 plungers that currently cannot be activated?

I think there is more to come.
  • DavTan
    860 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Koolaide3 wrote: »

I have no idea why all the weapons arent able to be upgraded, Though I suspect it comes down to the fact that BEFORE you can upgrade them you need to use them barebones.. so having the ability to practice with them at barebones would assist in learning their recoil patterns, ROF etc.
    DavTan wrote: »

1 tank?

Look behind where the first tank is, There are 2 plungers ( switches )
    Press the one behind the empty space to spawn the german tanks ( you can press multiple times to cycle the tank types I think )

Same for the plunger behind the already spawned tank but allied faction.

There is a transport run you can do to practice roadkills, Yes you only get a fighter and a bomber BUT did you not notice on the airfield a further 3 plungers that currently cannot be activated?

I think there is more to come.

You think .. LOL
    There is one tank, the churchy and one German mobile aa
    Nice deflection from the rest of my points.
    A car to practice road kills LOL which don't even move ... what a waste of pixels.
    And no I didn't see the other switches for planes.
    But why not put them in from the beginning. There's no multi player balance involved complicating things.... It's just a test range that has been really poorly designed.
    And that's what blows my mind, that all those clever design Devs can't do something so simple correctly the first time.
  • rainkloud
    593 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

Listen I know you have to tow the line but the notion that having only two tanks and two planes out the ~20 vehicles possible and not being able to have your upgrades reflected immediately, certifiably and indisputably disqualifies it from being better than BF4's Test range. If it doesn't fulfill the basic requirements of a practice range then it's not a practice range. This is like a beta range.

And you know what, this is another case where all they had to do is just market right and say "Hey this is our first run here and we don't have everything included just yet but we wanted to get out what we had so you can at least test some stuff out and see where we are headed. In the final product you'll be able to test all weapons and vehicles with your upgrades reflected along with things like stationary weapons and call in vehicles."

See, that's not hard. But maybe they genuinely thought this was all people wanted - that's the scarier scenario. But I'm inclined to believe that the extra dials on the airfield are an indication that you are right about more to come.

• inpham0usV1
    81 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited December 2018
    It's better than nothing. BF1 didn't have any type of practice range at all which is sad. The best part of this practice range is that you can fly a plane over and for practice. But not being able to actually use your own unlocked weapons with the same upgrades in multiplayer is incredibly short-sighted.
  • LOLGotYerTags
    It's better than nothing.
    Pretty much.

There were complaints that there wasn't one in BF1, And we have one in BFV and people still complain.

I'll never understand it.
  • Greeny_Huwjarz
    4541 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Pretty much.

There were complaints that there wasn't one in BF1, And we have one in BFV and people still complain.

Might as well not have bothered. DICE didn't think that players would want to use the guns in the modes that they actually use in the game? What they have produced is just yet another example of poorly thought out or lazy content.......It damaging to do that.....release crappy content.They could have waited a few weeks and done it right. North practise range is a wasteland. Why would you want to use it except to learn how to fly or drive?
  • rainkloud
    593 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Pretty much.

No there is not a practice range. It doesn't exist any more than if I were to throw a bunch of glass, metal and rubber in a pile and call it a car. You can't have something that is superior, drop it altogether and then put together something vastly inferior and call it sufficient much less progressive. That's simply not a valid opinion. That's in effect trolling and I am befuddled at why someone with moderator tags is trolling the community. If you truly genuinely hold such a illogical and extremist view then I would prefer, and I think others would agree, that you keep it to yourself. I view the moderators job as promoting and enforcing ethical conduct and needlessly inflammatory comments like "I'll never understand it" when there's a clearly laid case presented that even if you don't agree with you should be capable of understanding do nothing to move the conversation forward and everything to regress it.

Maybe you're having a bad day or maybe you're burned out but I hope you really reflect on this.
  • LOLGotYerTags
    edited December 2018
    You genuinely think I'm trolling?

I absolutely do feel it is a step up compared to bf4's version.

Sure it doesn't have EVERY vehicle ( yet ) but as I have said before, I suspect we are going to see further improvements to it as time goes by

:edit:
    Also, Having a different opinion is not "trolling".
    Post edited by LOLGotYerTags on
  • Beat_Mangler80

Sure it doesn't have EVERY vehicle ( yet ) but as I have said before, I suspect we are going to see further improvements to it as time goes by

You really do appear as if you are trolling. Your opinions are outrageous and defy logic (but you do work there after all).
    No this test range is not on par with BF4, it's actually a massive disappointment. I went there with excitement because finally I could work out my throwing aim with dynamite and also getting my RPG aim set up right, that is how a test range should function. I was not able to do that.
    People complained about a lack of a range in BF1 because you guys just happened to conveniently forget about including it. I HATE how you guys do stuff like that. Another example you took the 'sorry' out of the commo rose because apparently people were not using it. I used it all the time and people came to expect it after a team kill in hardcore!!! The effort involved in getting something like this back is just ridiculous. Hopefully we won't make enough noise and effort about hardcore mode and you can conveniently stop adding that feature too. You guys really ****, you really really do.
  • LOLGotYerTags

You really do appear as if you are trolling. Your opinions are outrageous and defy logic (but you do work there after all).

"Appear".

You may think that but I actually like this test range ( or is a difference of opinion also trolling? )

Also I do not work for them, I dont have an EA tag, I moderate voluntarily out of my own free time because I enjoy being a part of this community.

Either way, I've said this multiple times and I firmly believe more will be added in due course.

Take it how you like but I can assure you that I am not trolling.
  • Beat_Mangler80

"Appear".

You may think that but I actually like this test range ( or is a difference of opinion also trolling? )

Also I do not work for them, I dont have an EA tag, I moderate voluntarily out of my own free time because I enjoy being a part of this community.

Either way, I've said this multiple times and I firmly believe more will be added in due course.

Take it how you like but I can assure you that I am not trolling.

Sorry dude I had no idea you are just a forum moderator, that kinda discounts everything I said.
    Things that happen with this game, like excluding things we have to fight for really hard to get back are so very frustrating, and people like yourself are the only 'face' we deal with so to speak.
    So it turns out I went on a kind of unnecessary rant at you, and in hindsight I jumped to conclusions about you too. Sorry, and I hope you enjoy your holidays.
  • rainkloud

:edit:
    Also, Having a different opinion is not "trolling".

That's not an opinion though. We can both be starring at the carcass of some poor feline who got run over and if I claim it's dead and you say no it's just resting and it will be better soon, you're just speaking incoherently. And if there's no minimum standard for what constitutes an opinion then I can just type "al;kswejrfa';ps fjaqpweofapwkos" and when you go to remove it as you otherwise rightly should I can say "ah ah ah, that's my opinion and I'm entitled to voice it - hands off please."

Now you can say "Hey I don't really care about any of the upgrades not being there and I couldn't care less about vehicles so for me this delivers everything I want and I'm personally happy. That's a valid statement. But to look at everything that is missing and deduce that it is better and then say you don't understand the complaints is 110% certified trolling. There is a 0 probability that you as a living breathing human being capable at least a modicum of rational thought cannot understand that missing all these vehicles and upgrades is the reason that many people are complaining.

It's nauseating enough seeing forum members saying "oh this thing is useless, this thing here need to be nerfed to the ground" and such. I just don't need more of that in my life. So if you can manage to do a sanity check before you post and ask yourself "Am I genuinely considering the thoughts of others and is this post moving the discussion forward?" I would be most appreciative.

• LOLGotYerTags
    My opinion is not important to anybody else but myself.

I feel it is in a good place ( it could be better I agree ) but like I've said for the umpteenth time, There are clear placeholders ( plungers ) that currently do not activate anything and it is my belief that it will be built upon as time goes on.

I'm not too fussed if you agree or disagree, I'm saying that I genuinely like the current test range, and if it is expanded upon based on feedback from you and I then it's a win win.

Rather than just complaining and complaining and not really giving anything thats remotely productive, how about some suggestions?

I've already posted my feedback on the test range.

If I have a few spare minutes I'll go and link you to it if you like.
  • TwoTall122402
    1 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Am I missing something with the planes? I can't seem to be able to change it. The practice planes in the air need to have a better AI, like to be able to shoot you down so that you can truly practice your maneuverability and get more of a challenge. I really do hope that I am missing something because being stuck with the same plane, when ALL planes handle differently would be just have no point to it.