We have pushed a fix to address the issue with Rank 20 rewards. If you are missing your rewards for Class Rank 20, please play a match to completion and the Rewards should drop into your Armory.

Thanks for sticking with us.

Grenade rant, suggested improvements

macktiz45
6 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
edited December 6
A few things about grenades in BFV:

1- I’ve tossed firecrackers stronger than these things.
2- No cooking? STILL??? How many battlefields do we need to go through before we get a useful option present in almost every other game out there!
3- Only able to carry one grenade, and it can’t be resupplied from support ammo crates. Panzerfausts, PIATS and other more powerful, more spammable explosives can, but not grenades...
4- The ‘smart grenade’ issue. How does having the grenade begin it’s timer when it falls to the ground make sense?

It seems everywhere I look, people are going “thank goodness there’s not so much grenade spam like other battlefields!”. And quickly follow up with some half-baked idea that grenades aren’t actually supposed to be lethal, as if they were meant to be some kind of dinky cattle prod.
Have none of you played the original BF1942? You started with THREE grenades, and they were MUCH stronger than these little party poppers, plus a shorter fuse, no obvious HUD icon, no audible callout. I mean, you almost have to TRY to get killed by a grenade now with all the hand-holding DICE gives you, and the direct nerfs to the nades themselves. Yet BF1942 was succesfull and people learned to adapt, instead of whine.
Heck, I’d love to see a ‘grenadier’ class with only a pistol and a full bandolier of decent grenades.
Ever since Battlefield 2, the ‘crutches’ have been given to the players who couldn’t effectively use or anticipate grenades- by limiting the power, number carried, and resupply of grenades. Plus, in a normal sized battlefield map, the distances involved and number of paths to objectives are large enough that I don’t see any reason why grenades should be so weak. Unsurprisingly, who do grenades hurt most? Corner campers, snipers in their hidey holes, bipod supports happily draining one belt mag after another. When playing aggressive and taking flags, I think I’ve died TWICE to grenades in BFV.
So it makes me wonder if everyone whining about grenade spam either spends all their time camping, or spent too much time in that disgustingly un-battlefield operation metro, which really shouldn’t be used when considering weapon/explosive balancing on the other 99% of maps.

/end rant

Suggested solutions?
1- make explosives/gadgets refill from support ammo crates more consistent across types- A panzerfaust is more deadly and far more useful to your team (fort and tank busting, blowing out building walls on window peepers) than a grenade. It doesn’t make sense you get ammo for it but not a grenade.
2- let everyone start with one grenade like it is now, it fits the attrition model, but up the total carried to 2 when resupplying at an ammo dump or support crate.
3- support crates refill grenades- one per grab, like the other explosives.
4- either make grenades cookable, remove the ‘smart fuse’, remove visual HUD warning, or simply make them more powerful. I’d be happy with all these, but I don’t want to be swept out to sea by the flood of salt.

Comments

• DominicO65
    462 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited December 6
    I honestly love the way grenades are right now. BF1 grenades were so easy. It was basically a free kill. Huge blast radius, massive damage, short fuse. When playing BFV I can instantly recognise when players have spent too much time in BF1 based on whether they start every gun fight with a grenade throw. In BFV they're more situational which is fine by me.
    Post edited by DominicO65 on
  • Khronikos
    1534 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I don't know man most pros don't start fights with grenades. I don't that is for sure.

They are situational for sure in this game. Mostly useless all thing considered. I don't think with this low of TTK they can be any better or you would have mass chaos.
  • Catsonspeeed
    102 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I don't think I have killed anyone with a grenade yet. It's very rare I even throw them, because they are essentially useless. Except the smoke grenades, I love those. But overall it's better like this, BF1, BF4 and BF3 were grenade fests, at least on certain maps.

Tank shells have 0 splash damage, and don't often kill even with a straight hit, and grenades don't kill anyone. New era of Battlefield.
  • macktiz45
    6 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    You a
    But overall it's better like this, BF1, BF4 and BF3 were grenade fests, at least on certain maps.
    I think this is at the core of the disparity between where grenades actually have been lately (very weak compared to the older titles) and what people think they are (too strong, spammed). Because of a few clustered maps (metro, Argonne) people think the grenades are strong and spammy, when in 95% of the non-metro and Argonne cases, grenades are weak firecrackers that rarely make a dent in gameplay.

Also, it’s worth pointing out that mortars and gas grenades contributed SIGNIFICANTLY to the BF1 Argonne situation. Frags were a small part.
  • RePlayBoy101
    51 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    go play bf1and watch ur screen shake every 2 seconds fro mthe granade spam
  • spartanx169x
    256 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    go play bf1and watch ur screen shake every 2 seconds fro mthe granade spam

I have right at 400 hrs in BF1 across two platforms-PS4 and XB1. The only map where grenades seemed excessive was the Fort map( I forget the name). Even then it was bad because you would often have 8 to 15 players in a very tight area so there was always somebody with a grenade. Are the people whining about grenade spam the same people that are praising the spotting being gone? Hymmm.
  • MachineHead0013
    138 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I kind of agree, they do take FOREVER (queue squints from sandlot) to detonate.

They should make grenades like it was back in BF4. I think it had great balance overall.
  • ITS_BOB_GNARLY
    1888 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I love the way nades are now, finally DICE woke up and got rid of the nadefest. As others have said, they're situational. I use a different type depending on the class I play as all classes play different roles:

Assault - Anti-vehicle nade
    Support - Impact nade
    Medic - Smoke nade
    Recon - Throwing knives
  • smys123
    878 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    BF1942 - Berlin map......the biggest nade fest of all time. Could kill people by standing next to ammo and just throwing into the air lol. One adjustment I would like to see with grenades would be the ability to drop them into tanks and armored vehicles to kill the people. Though the OP has a point. I shot someone with a grenade launcher in BFV - no death, had to pull out the gun to finish them....grenades should kill you depending on the closeness to the center of the blast for sure.
  • OldSkoolIce
    18 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    DominicO65 wrote: »
    I honestly love the way grenades are right now. BF1 grenades were so easy. It was basically a free kill. Huge blast radius, massive damage, short fuse. When playing BFV I can instantly recognise when players have spent a lot of time in BF1 based on whether they start every gun fight with a grenade throw. In BFV they're more situational which is fine by me.

I like the grenades in BFV (just like in Black Ops 4) for not an flipping grenade spam fiesta like past BF games. But, don't love it for it takes forever to detonate. I got more than 3 kills with grenades in the game so far.
  • Jonny_ChaosMCR
    1173 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Does anyone know how this grenade pistol works for support class? Is it simply a one hit kill on impact or what?! I'm not sure what it's all about