Blackbird De-Classified

von_Campenstein
6062 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
I saw this story in the news a few days back and thought it deserved more attention than what little it got;

https://www.thelocal.se/20181129/swedish-pilots-honoured-by-us-for-secretive-cold-war-rescue

Comments

• Pajotero
    97 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    Cool story
  • von_Campenstein
    6062 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    From Veltris insistence on the pilots saving his life you can assume he was never going to let the soviets have the plane by a forced landing. I don't know about combat protocol for planes but I'd imagine the swedish pilots being harrassed with intermittent targets locks at all times, to test their resolve and see if there would be a crack anywhere in the chain of command. Not knowing at what point the situation could escalate and those locks turning into incoming missiles offering themselves up as meatshields, that must've felt almost like mock executions.
  • von_Campenstein
    As to avoid it turning into a wall of text some of what is said in the swedish video is that the US analysis is that had the plane gone down events in Europe like the fall of the Berlin wall just 2 years later, re-unification of Germany and emancipation of eastern Europe would not have unfolded as it did. Not only a Blackbird but a butterfly too.