Weekly BF

GSync broken with DX12..?

L1G1STX
8 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
edited January 5
*Update 1/5/19:

Via advice from others, I can confirm that if I unplug my second monitor (I run a Gsync Acer Predator XB271HU monitor and a dell ultra sharp not that the models matter I’m sure), restart the machine, and launch BF V Gsync works without issue. And I can exit the game, plug second monitor back in, and relaunch with it working as well. Haven’t tried to really see what causes it to break further yet. Got a smokin deal on a 8700k and am testing a 5.0 GHz OC at the moment... takes priority over stupid Gsync issues 😂

*Original Post:
It seems like I can only get gsync to work in DX11 mode which seems to be ~30% less FPS than DX12, or in windowed mode. DX12 full screen results in my monitor refreshing at whatever the setting is in the advanced video settings, 2560x1440 165 FPS locks my Hz in at 165, if I set it to 144 my monitor reports 144 etc. Its like this setting is breaking gsync while in DX12.

I have done DDU twice, installed new drivers twice as well, once with newest drivers (417.22), one with last version (417.01), and installed the October 2.0 windows update in case that had a possible fix with some underlying windows DX12 issue. So far nothing.

Anyone have any ideas or possible fixes? Sorta not stoked about this, especially since I could really use Gsync as my CPU is a bit dated and can't push insane FPS anymore.

Specs that matter: 3770k @ 4.6 Ghz, GTX 1070 FTW, Acer Predator xb271hu

I have another PC at my apt (this is at my parents house where I visit from time to time) which has a similar just better setup, and that doesn't seem to have an issue... 6700k @ 4.6, GTX 1080 @ 1199, Ultrawide Predator 3440x1440 whatever model that guy is, I am blanking.

No idea what is causing this, as I am fairly certain my 6700k rig doesn't have the problem, although I am not there at the moment to validate it.
Post edited by L1G1STX on

Comments

• afzSnickelfritz
    144 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Gsync dynamically synchronizes the refresh rate of the display to match the output of the GPU at the hardware level. It has absolutely no effect on system performance.
  • BassMan_PC
    193 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Works fine for me in DX12. Make sure you are playing full screen mode and not borderless. Also, disable Vsync in the game options.
  • L1G1STX
    edited December 2018
    Gsync dynamically synchronizes the refresh rate of the display to match the output of the GPU at the hardware level. It has absolutely no effect on system performance.

I am not sure were you got the impression I was implying it affects performance. I am simply saying it’s not working. I can get it to work in dx11 mode which causes a performance hit vs dx12. That is the only mention of performance. I would rather run in DX12 which in my case provides 20-30% more FPS and no Gsync than run in dx11 with Gsync but with the FPS drop due to dx11. But, ultimately, I just want Gsync to work correctly, thus the purpose of this thread.
    BassMan_PC wrote: »
    Works fine for me in DX12. Make sure you are playing full screen mode and not borderless. Also, disable Vsync in the game options.
    I have tried full screen mode, windowed, borderless window. Everything. The only way I can get it to work on DX12 is windowed mode. I am not sure why this is, but full screen or borderless full screen it won’t work. My monitor refreshes at the setting I select in the settings. If I set 2560x1440 165, my monitor hz is 165 even though FPS is much less than 165. If I select 2560x1440 its hz is 144, etc etc. It is getting a refresh interval from the game, but it’s like there is some underline FPS counter running at that selected setting that it’s sending to the panel vs the actual realized FPS. Extremely strange to me, but I have no idea how rocky fix it. I assume there is a driver or game bug, but if I am the only person reporting the issue, it’s either a specific issue with my system, or an actual issue no one realizes exists lol.
  • Matte8DJ
    7 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Hello
    look at what happens to me, you're not the only one.
    i7 8700k stable at 5GHz
    ddr4 3200 MHz
    rtx 2080 stable at + 110mhz gpu and + 700mhz on the memory
    tested with OC and without OC the same problem
    windows with clean installation and all the latest version drivers

read my post https://forums.battlefield.com/en-us/discussion/168048/bf-v-continuos-crash-help-me-please#latest
  • L1G1STX
    No one else has any ideas here? I was sorta hoping this was a widespread issue that they would have to look into...
  • L1G1STX
    Well, I decided to play some Rise of the Tomb Raider and it has the same issue on DX12 vs 11. So I guess its not a BF problem. Time to hit up the nvidia forums I guess.
  • Raizu1433
    10 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited December 2018
    Try this. Mine works great in DX12 and DX11.

https://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101-input-lag-tests-and-settings/14/

To add, my monitor has the known bug with gsync and 144h refresh rate. So I make sure to run mine at the OC leverl of 165hz and it works great. I leave vsync on in the nivida control panel like the guide says also. Turn it off in game though.

• L1G1STX
    Raizu1433 wrote: »
    Try this. Mine works great in DX12 and DX11.

https://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101-input-lag-tests-and-settings/14/

To add, my monitor has the known bug with gsync and 144h refresh rate. So I make sure to run mine at the OC leverl of 165hz and it works great. I leave vsync on in the nivida control panel like the guide says also. Turn it off in game though.

Thanks for the advice, but that didn't help either. I think something is bugged, but I have no idea what. Personally, it feels like a DX12/gsync issue, but who knows. The fact its doing the same thing in both games is perplexing.
  • Fruxen
    139 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited December 2018
    L1G1STX wrote: »
    It seems like I can only get gsync to work in DX11 mode which seems to be ~30% less FPS than DX12, or in windowed mode. DX12 full screen results in my monitor refreshing at whatever the setting is in the advanced video settings, 2560x1440 165 FPS locks my Hz in at 165, if I set it to 144 my monitor reports 144 etc. Its like this setting is breaking gsync while in DX12.

I have done DDU twice, installed new drivers twice as well, once with newest drivers (417.22), one with last version (417.01), and installed the October 2.0 windows update in case that had a possible fix with some underlying windows DX12 issue. So far nothing.

Anyone have any ideas or possible fixes? Sorta not stoked about this, especially since I could really use Gsync as my CPU is a bit dated and can't push insane FPS anymore.

Specs that matter: 3770k @ 4.6 Ghz, GTX 1070 FTW, Acer Predator xb271hu

I have another PC at my apt (this is at my parents house where I visit from time to time) which has a similar just better setup, and that doesn't seem to have an issue... 6700k @ 4.6, GTX 1080 @ 1199, Ultrawide Predator 3440x1440 whatever model that guy is, I am blanking.

No idea what is causing this, as I am fairly certain my 6700k rig doesn't have the problem, although I am not there at the moment to validate it.

I have the exact same problem. Gsync was working until a week ago but now it's like BFV has a refresh rate of itself. I both updated Windows and the latest Nvidia driver so I don't know exactly what's causing it, but I do know for sure that the "correct" settings doesn't work anymore, or any other setting for that matter.

Max FPS is what I set in BFV, 120, 144 fps etc and then it fluctuates from that down to 65 fps. It does not feel as smooth as the framerate counter suggests. I get a stuttering 78 fps in the game menus.

i7 [email protected],6 GHz
    RTX 2080
    100 Hz gsync monitor

Edit: Just played WoW, it's smooth and gsync seems to work just fine. Just wait for a patch for BFV I guess.
  • CSO7777
    1280 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    L1G1STX wrote: »
    Well, I decided to play some Rise of the Tomb Raider and it has the same issue on DX12 vs 11. So I guess its not a BF problem. Time to hit up the nvidia forums I guess.
    This seems driver-related. Have you tried reinstalling your drivers and use DDU before reinstall (otherwise try it)?
  • p0pcornMuncher
    358 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Working for me.
  • Kompura
    271 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Why do you think gsync is the problem? How do you know it's not working, you get screen tearing? Gsync does not limit framerate, it just stops working when reaching screen max refresh rate but does not limit anything. Vsync limits framerate to monitor refresh rate unless it's set to adaptive. And I think there is no dependency between DX versions and gsync.
  • Fruxen
    139 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited December 2018
    Kompura wrote: »
    Why do you think gsync is the problem? How do you know it's not working, you get screen tearing? Gsync does not limit framerate, it just stops working when reaching screen max refresh rate but does not limit anything. Vsync limits framerate to monitor refresh rate unless it's set to adaptive. And I think there is no dependency between DX versions and gsync.

My framerate feels completely out of sync from the monitor so I thought it was gsync screwed up, but yeah you're correct.

I tested some more without gsync and vsync and the game behaves the same but with some tearing as well. I get a stuttering 50-70 fps regardless of graphic settings and DX11/DX12. I got a stable 100 fps 1-2 weeks ago.
  • Kompura
    271 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Fruxen wrote: »
    Kompura wrote: »

My framerate feels completely out of sync from the monitor so I thought it was gsync screwed up, but yeah you're correct.

I tested some more without gsync and vsync and the game behaves the same but with some tearing as well. I get a stuttering 50-70 fps regardless of graphic settings and DX11/DX12. I got a stable 100 fps 1-2 weeks ago.

How about FFR (future frame rendering) setting in BFV? It does effect in DX12 mode and in my rig, it lowers framerate quite a bit when set to ON.
  • RefugeASSASSIN
    50 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Do you have something set in Geforce Experience thats overwritting everything?
  • Mephisto_POA
    102 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    my gsync is not working anymore as well. I have a 2080ti and it doesn't matter if I set manually FPS bellow or the same as refresh rate of my monitor that is 120hz, gsync is simply not working anymore.

I'm not sure if it is DX12 only as I've not used DX11 in a while, but I can easily confirm gsync is not working anymore on BF5
  • Mephisto_POA
    102 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    just tested on DX11, working absolutely fine, changed to DX12, and clearly can see it doesn't work
  • IdiotBox
    41 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Has anyone been able to resolve this issue? I was playing Vermintide 2 the other day when I noticed Gsync wasn't working. Frankly, I have no idea why I even checked, but yeah. So then I went and checked to see if it was working in BF5. Big negative there as well. Turns out the issue is related to DX12. Gsync works fine in DX11, but it doesn't seem to work in any DX12 games for me. I could have sworn Gsync was working in DX12 a few weeks ago when I first got my 2080 Ti. Trying to find an answer to this online has been a mostly dead end.
  • BassMan_PC
    193 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited January 4
    G-Sync works for me in every game regardless if it is DX11 or DX12. As long as the game is running in proper full screen, it should work. Definitely do a full driver uninstall in safe mode and clean install to see if it fixes the issue.
  • IdiotBox
    41 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited January 4
    BassMan_PC wrote: »
    G-Sync works for me in every game regardless if it is DX11 or DX12. As long as the game is running in proper full screen, it should work. Definitely do a full driver uninstall in safe mode and clean install to see if it fixes the issue.

How do you know it's working?

Funny enough, the only way I can get gsync to actually work in DX12 games is to NOT run them in "proper full screen". If I change my gsync setting in NVCP to "windowed and full screen mode", then set my games to windowed (NOT borderless windowed, that doesn't work), gsync works. Full screen or borderless windowed DX12 = no worky.

I'll do a full driver uninstall when Nvidia releases a new one (as I normally do). Not wasting my time otherwise, because I guarantee you it won't fix anything.