Weekly BF

GSync broken with DX12..?

Comments

• OskooI_007
    839 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    My g-sync monitor states if g-sync is enabled in the monitor's menu.

There's also an option in Nvidia Control Panel to show if g-sync is working. It's called 'G-SYNC Indicator'. It's located under 'Display' in menu bar up top. File / Edit / Display / Help.
  • BassMan_PC
    191 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited January 4
    IdiotBox wrote: »
    BassMan_PC wrote: »
    G-Sync works for me in every game regardless if it is DX11 or DX12. As long as the game is running in proper full screen, it should work. Definitely do a full driver uninstall in safe mode and clean install to see if it fixes the issue.

How do you know it's working?

Funny enough, the only way I can get gsync to actually work in DX12 games is to NOT run them in "proper full screen". If I change my gsync setting in NVCP to "windowed and full screen mode", then set my games to windowed (NOT borderless windowed, that doesn't work), gsync works. Full screen or borderless windowed DX12 = no worky.

I'll do a full driver uninstall when Nvidia releases a new one (as I normally do). Not wasting my time otherwise, because I guarantee you it won't fix anything.

I can tell right away it is working because of the lack of screen tearing and smoothness. That sucks that it is not working for you. It is not liking your configuration for some reason. I do not use G-Sync in windowed mode at all. I have it only for fullscreen.
  • g0merpile
    651 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited January 4
    G-Sync works for me in every game regardless if it is DX11 or DX12. As long as the game is running in proper full screen, it should work. Definitely do a full driver uninstall in safe mode and clean install to see if it fixes the issue.

Funny enough, the only way I can get gsync to actually work in DX12 games is to NOT run them in "proper full screen". If I change my gsync setting in NVCP to "windowed and full screen mode", then set my games to windowed (NOT borderless windowed, that doesn't work), gsync works. Full screen or borderless windowed DX12 = no worky.

I'll do a full driver uninstall when Nvidia releases a new one (as I normally do). Not wasting my time otherwise, because I guarantee you it won't fix anything.

Where did U find gsync setting in NVCP, gsync was removed from nvcp. I know in late 17 or early 18 it was removed. We can change in nvinspector
    14da46e1bdfab26325b1dd120ae1b461.png
  • narnold700
    282 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    It seems something is going on with DX12 these days. DX12 works for me for a while and then becomes unplayable within a few hours. Right now I'm using DX11 FFR on and I get maybe 100fps avg.
  • IdiotBox
    41 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    OskooI_007 wrote: »
    My g-sync monitor states if g-sync is enabled in the monitor's menu.

There's also an option in Nvidia Control Panel to show if g-sync is working. It's called 'G-SYNC Indicator'. It's located under 'Display' in menu bar up top. File / Edit / Display / Help.

Oh, wow, didn't know about that, thanks for the tip! Bit of an annoying overlay to have on, but neat feature. My monitor says g-sync is enabled, but it says ON even if it's not working, which you can clearly tell by the refresh rate showing 165hz no matter what.
    g0merpile wrote: »

Where did U find gsync setting in NVCP, gsync was removed from nvcp. I know in late 17 or early 18 it was removed. We can change in nvinspector

I found it in the same spot its always been:

uR5hTuy.png
  • IdiotBox
    41 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Ok, here's the FIX!
    I did a clean install of the 417.58 hotfix drivers, which did absolutely nothing except waste my time.
    Then I came across the thread on Nvidia's forums about the 1803 update breaking gsync in windowed mode, or something like that. I had previously ignored it since it was from April, and I don't care about windowed mode, but the thread is still going, and one of the most recent posts mentioned turning off his second monitor and rebooting.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1045242/geforce-drivers/windows-10-april-update-1803-windowed-g-sync-broken-hotfix-released-/50/

So I did somewhat similar. I straight up unplugged my second monitor, and rebooted for good measure. After rebooting, my gsync monitor has reverted to 60hz in NVCP for some reason. Set it back to 165hz, fired up BF5, and like magic, gsync was working in DX12 again. Not sure what broke it in the first place, or why Windows and/or Nvidia drivers are so buggy that this fixed it, but whatever. Hopefully it doesn't revert back to being broken the first time I swap primary displays around to game on my 4k monitor.
  • DiscoPr0
    92 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I have Gsync turned on and run BFV in DX12. I assume it is working and have not noticed any weird frame rate issues.

Have you disabled vertical sync?
  • L1G1STX
    8 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Mine still doesn't work right, I tried the unplug second monitor deal as well, didn't work. It works in windowed mode tho.... This is pretty aggravating.
  • L1G1STX
    If I unplug my second monitor and restart the PC, seems to work... And continue to work when I plug the second monitor back in. Definitely an issue that should be fixed....................
  • IdiotBox
    I have Gsync turned on and run BFV in DX12. I assume it is working and have not noticed any weird frame rate issues.

Have you disabled vertical sync?

You assume it's working? Jeez. When I pay a significant premium for something, I like to know if it's actually working or not... And gsync not working wouldn't cause any "weird frame rate issues", so it seems you don't even understand what you own.
    L1G1STX wrote: »
    Mine still doesn't work right, I tried the unplug second monitor deal as well, didn't work. It works in windowed mode tho.... This is pretty aggravating.

Did you try to unplug, reboot, double check all your settings in NVCP, then load up BF5?

Maybe, just maybe, one day, Microsoft will get their **** together. Until then, we're stuck suffering with stuff like this.

I also find it absolutely hilarious that people are up in arms about how "gsync doesn't work with SLI" and "gsync + SLI has been broken for months" because some no-name website posted an article showing that gsync + SLI results in slightly worse SLI scaling in certain games. But yet real issues like this gsync not working in DX12 fiasco exist, and you don't hear a peep about it from the anti-nvidia keyboard warriors of the internet.
  • L1G1STX
    edited January 5

Did you try to unplug, reboot, double check all your settings in NVCP, then load up BF5?

This did in fact work, and what makes even less sense, I plug my second monitor back in, restart the game, and it still works. wut...
  • Exnetic
    48 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    G sync for me is working whitout a problem
  • Seba211_SLO
    5 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited January 5
    I have same problem.My monitor is Acer Predator xb271hu.Gsync in this game just not working properly anymore.I have microstutering or what this **** is on 80fps lol.I tryed with DX11 or DX12 unplug my second monitor and didn't help nothing.It's just broken game I can't play this game like that lol.I have no problems 14 days ago with same settings and game has running very smoothly 70-110fps on GTX 1070 +I7 4770K.I other games i have no problems.BF1 runs great and bf4 runs even better with gsync
  • JosephCr1984
    168 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    It's odd because I only updated my NVIDIA driver (the one from I believe Dec-12) yesterday and then today noticed this exact issue. But I was playing in DX11 not DX12. Two reboots did not change it. I was just locked at getting no more than 60 FPS in the display in-game, although occasionally it would go up in the menus.

But - when I switched to DX12 and restarted, it's working fine now.

So I am suggesting maybe the mode may not matter, but switching modes at least temporarily fixes this.
  • CaptHotah
    1116 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    On my 2560x1080 144hz monitor gsync only works in borderless mode for me. Wich is fine..
  • DaChileanSeabass
    165 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I can confirm dx12 does not work with gsync unless in window mode. BF5 is broke
  • L1G1STX
    I was able to get it working in windowed mode as well, but still holds that the dual monitor dealio worked for me. If you guys don't have dual monitors and are having this issue, that is unfortunate as I don't think we have a work around to that yet... Since I had this issue in Tomb Raider as well, I doubt its BF V, either a windows issue or an nviida driver issue. I think I lean towards windows.
  • Seba211_SLO
    5 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited January 6
    For me gsync not working in fullscreen,windowed or borderless mode in BF5.I have same microstuters or what this is.For example in the latest Tomb Raider gsync works smoothly on ultra even with 55fps and BF5 lags with 80fps lol
    This **** is releted with servers.They had broken servers i think
  • IdiotBox
    L1G1STX wrote: »
    I was able to get it working in windowed mode as well, but still holds that the dual monitor dealio worked for me. If you guys don't have dual monitors and are having this issue, that is unfortunate as I don't think we have a work around to that yet... Since I had this issue in Tomb Raider as well, I doubt its BF V, either a windows issue or an nviida driver issue. I think I lean towards windows.

I think it's Windows related, or at least a Windows/Nvidia driver interaction related issue.
    I've switched between my 1440p gsync display and my 4k non-gsync display as primary monitor a couple times and gsync continues to work in DX12 without a hitch.
    BUT, the first time I tried turning my gsync display OFF while using the 4k display as my primary, gsync was broken as soon as I went back to the gsync display as primary and loaded up BF5.
    I don't understand why, but when I turn my gsync display OFF, my remaining display will flicker momentarily, Windows will make a noise like I just unplugged a device, and the gsync display will disappear from my "Windows Display Settings" screen. Basically with the gsync display turned off, but plugged in, Windows acts like there is only 1 monitor plugged in. Then when I turn it back on, my other display will flicker again, Windows will make a noise like I just plugged in a new device, and I'll get a popup notification saying something like "gsync display connected, click here to configure". Clicking that will open up NVCP.
    It seems that whatever happens when I power the gsync display off and Windows thinks it disappears, is what screws up the functionality of gsync in DX12.
  • S0magical
    26 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    i too have this issue. after feeling something was quite right, i asked random people in game and someone said try borderless, which i did and it worked (i dont have a second monitor or anything) gsync also doesnt work in wolfenstein 2, which again i found people having the same issue. had no problem for as long as i can remember, all of sudden it doesnt work. i also realised it wasnt working in bf4 either, and when i went borderless is was significantly smoother and nicer, duno what is going on, hope its not my new evga 2080..