Bring Back The Premium Pass - We need guaranteed maps and content

Comments

• kingofmacedon
    10 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    ackers75 wrote: »
    Premium has always boosted the quality of battlefield games for quite sometime...

Wow lol thanks for the laugh

You smokin on something? Look at bf4 and bf1. Hardline was crappy in the beginning, a hated titled. It's not a bad game now... But all battlefield games were great because of the extra income dice received. If BFV is a free and live service with sales being low.. we might get a Swbf2 repeat after they get the dev team down to 3 game designer's. Swbf2 has been out for quite some time... We have barely got anything for the game.. and I wouldn't doubt it if dice starts scrapping new ideas like Titan mode that's made their list of new modes to be revived within the franchise

Maybe if the put some effort into their games an put out quality content, Sales wouldn't be low and there would be no talk of throwing more money at EA to get what we already paid for. We shouldn't be responsible for EA being a terrible company and pay more to give us a complete product that we already paid for.
  • Pyr0Plazma
    404 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Funny how just a few years ago so many people were railing about Premium/season passes. Now in response to that backlash developers/publishers are transitioning to Game as Service in response. So now everyone is crying for Premium/season passes again.

As the famous saying goes

"Be careful what you wish for"
    "you made your bed, and now you're gonna sleep in it"

And the outcry for premium passes all come down to "It will improve content" or "We'll get more content" and "content" this and "content" that,

But in reality a premium pass didn't promise jack. Sure it gave us maps every so often, but because the maps were behind a paywall it segregated those who had access to said maps and to those who didn't. The new maps that were produced would die out fast because not everyone had access to them and it was just back to playing vanilla maps. (This stops being an issue after a couple of years after the game's launch but it shouldn't take that long in the first place to have everyone have access to the same maps.)

Now while I do recognize they don't have to rush themselves as hard or put any effort in releasing content for BFV thanks to the 'model,' I'm much happier that I don't have to practically repurchase the game just to get access to maps that will die out in a couple of weeks.

Did we play the same game? Between BF3, BF4 and BF1 (counting Hardline is dumb since we all know it died out before the expansions even hit) the only map pack expansion that died out was "Close Quarters" from BF3. Most people would arguably contribute CQ's demise to be the fact it was made for 24 players max and thus didn't fit on normal 64 man Conquest servers. Further more the emphasis on fast paced action turned alot of people off (I for one loved it!).

Besides that every other expansion had a health if not large number of players on release and gradually as time went on server owners just integrated them into the standard server rotations with all previous expansions. Heck even if you didn't own premium/map packs there were still plenty of servers that just ran vanilla maps in both BF3 and BF4's haydays respectively.

I don't really understand the whole "SPLIT PLAYER BASE" argument when it comes to battlefield as the games never really suffered from that issue. Didn't want to fork over extra cash for maps? Cool just play on vanilla only then. Spiting your player base is a legitimate concern, but people love to just broadly apply the term without context/and or nuance.
  • Pyr0Plazma
    404 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Funny how just a few years ago so many people were railing about Premium/season passes. Now in response to that backlash developers/publishers are transitioning to Game as Service in response. So now everyone is crying for Premium/season passes again.

only you people are complaining about it. No other game that releases free dlc is complaining about lack of content or anything else, its just you guys. Maybe buy games from better companies? You bought an EA game that promised free dlc, game didn’t sell for **** so don’t get your hopes up now. Your problem, not any other games problem.

d12.jpg

But seriously who are you referring to by "you people"? Cause I certainly never complained about premium and as a matter of fact actually defended it. Heck I still defend it to this day and would rather have it than games for service.
  • LinkZeppeloyd
    994 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Funny how just a few years ago so many people were railing about Premium/season passes. Now in response to that backlash developers/publishers are transitioning to Game as Service in instead. So now everyone is crying for Premium/season passes again.

edit: grammer

The railing against premium had one single good point: a MP should never have maps that are only available to some. The answer was premium, but everyone can join the maps.

Instead, we got dead service with gold guns and mtx, no new maps and likely drip-fed, zero effort “content.” Thanks whiners.
  • zetamen21
    27 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I will drop this game instantly if enter premium pass
  • Pyr0Plazma
    Funny how just a few years ago so many people were railing about Premium/season passes. Now in response to that backlash developers/publishers are transitioning to Game as Service in instead. So now everyone is crying for Premium/season passes again.

The railing against premium had one single good point: a MP should never have maps that are only available to some. The answer was premium, but everyone can join the maps.

Instead, we got dead service with gold guns and mtx, no new maps and likely drip-fed, zero effort “content.” Thanks whiners.

I'm still trying to figure out where everyone is getting this Idea that it was somehow impossible to play DLC maps in BF3/BF4? As premium member of both (later on in BF3's case) when DLC dropped tons of servers transitioned to only running the DLC maps. Once the hype/honeymoon phase died down most of those servers transitioned back to running all maps with them just adding the 4 most recent maps to the rotation.

In the case of BF4 in its hayday I could premium/DLC map running servers easier than I could find vanilla only servers for Conquest at least.
  • EoG_Alchemist
    83 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

I'm still trying to figure out where everyone is getting this Idea that it was somehow impossible to play DLC maps in BF3/BF4? As premium member of both (later on in BF3's case) when DLC dropped tons of servers transitioned to only running the DLC maps. Once the hype/honeymoon phase died down most of those servers transitioned back to running all maps with them just adding the 4 most recent maps to the rotation.

In the case of BF4 in its hayday I could premium/DLC map running servers easier than I could find vanilla only servers for Conquest at least.

Most of the maps I played in BF1s end days was DLC. I just played the all maps servers.
  • Natetendo83
    1029 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I would take Premium Pass over this in a heartbeat. People always bring up "splitting the playerbase" but that's such a non-issue that I don't take that argument seriously anymore. I could always find matches and it's not hard to wait until the first DLC comes out, or even shortly after, to buy Premium at a discount. I got it for BF1 for only $25 and I only had to wait a month or two after the first DLC dropped. Easily got my money's worth from that and I never once ran into player count issues.
  • LinkZeppeloyd
    994 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

I don’t know, i had mixed bag of success with DLC maps. I could play them for a bit, but most of my favorite servers would go back to vanilla only to maintain their population. There were enough people with the maps, yet like me I bet quite a few drifted back to vanilla because of a bigger server pop. With BF1 I did have a much harder time finding DLC maps, they were out there, but it was so much easier to find nilla servers.
  • Natetendo83
    1029 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

I don’t know, i had mixed bag of success with DLC maps. I could play them for a bit, but most of my favorite servers would go back to vanilla only to maintain their population. There were enough people with the maps, yet like me I bet quite a few drifted back to vanilla because of a bigger server pop. With BF1 I did have a much harder time finding DLC maps, they were out there, but it was so much easier to find nilla servers.

Just a couple months ago I was playing DLC maps for BF4 on PS4 and the servers were full the whole time. But generally speaking it's not the issue of paid DLC that kills off DLC servers for the older games, it's the fact that they're older and most people have moved on. With how often Premium is given out for free at the end of a game's lifecycle you can't blame the population on a paid pass when the pass is given out for free so many times.
  • parkingbrake
    3202 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    BF4 had some really good free dlc if i'm not mistaken

Yes it did, a night version of an existing map, two new maps (one revised from BF2), some new weapons, and the Gun Master game mode resurrected from BF3. Things like that are possible when revenue from paid DLC covers the development costs. So until EA manages to get microtransactions working in BFV we probably shouldn't except much new content. We have all those folks who complained that paid DLC split the community to thank for that.

One hopeful sign is I'm seeing quite a few low-rank players in the game lately, so people still seem to be buying BFV, maybe on sale, or LOL because their first account was banned. But the arrival of new players is a good thing to see.
  • DayZEternal1
    121 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 2019

And the outcry for premium passes all come down to "It will improve content" or "We'll get more content" and "content" this and "content" that,

But in reality a premium pass didn't promise jack. Sure it gave us maps every so often, but because the maps were behind a paywall it segregated those who had access to said maps and to those who didn't. The new maps that were produced would die out fast because not everyone had access to them and it was just back to playing vanilla maps. (This stops being an issue after a couple of years after the game's launch but it shouldn't take that long in the first place to have everyone have access to the same maps.)

Now while I do recognize they don't have to rush themselves as hard or put any effort in releasing content for BFV thanks to the 'model,' I'm much happier that I don't have to practically repurchase the game just to get access to maps that will die out in a couple of weeks.

Did we play the same game? Between BF3, BF4 and BF1 (counting Hardline is dumb since we all know it died out before the expansions even hit) the only map pack expansion that died out was "Close Quarters" from BF3. Most people would arguably contribute CQ's demise to be the fact it was made for 24 players max and thus didn't fit on normal 64 man Conquest servers. Further more the emphasis on fast paced action turned alot of people off (I for one loved it!).

Besides that every other expansion had a health if not large number of players on release and gradually as time went on server owners just integrated them into the standard server rotations with all previous expansions. Heck even if you didn't own premium/map packs there were still plenty of servers that just ran vanilla maps in both BF3 and BF4's haydays respectively.

I don't really understand the whole "SPLIT PLAYER BASE" argument when it comes to battlefield as the games never really suffered from that issue. Didn't want to fork over extra cash for maps? Cool just play on vanilla only then. Spiting your player base is a legitimate concern, but people love to just broadly apply the term without context/and or nuance.

Because "the whole 'split player base'" argument is the very reason why people in the masses wanted to change the premium model. And guess what people are now begging for after switching over to free content updates? "I'm willing to pay the extra $50 if you drop more maps."

And I'm pretty sure we played the same game for the most part, especially BF1 where the event of a sudden death in players on DLC maps dropped after a few weeks. It would start off strong, and then there would be a few active servers compared to the hundreds of vanilla map rotation servers (Even you recognized the fact that there were 'plenty' of vanilla servers up and running for those who didn't have premium.) My point is, it made it obsolete to buy premium at that moment than buying it right now. Since they like to hand out premium like candy after a title's cycle, the issue suddenly becomes blurred when everyone has premium. Why complain?

Don't even get me started on the fact that you could buy DLCs separately for about $15-$20 which would just cost you more in the long run.
  • reggiew
    3 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I would love new maps etc but Ive played since bf3 and I already hated it that if I hadn't played the game for a year or more I suddenly had to spend 30 euro or whatever to get all the updates. Felt like a ripoff to me. So I never did and then moved on again to other games. For those that play the same game for very long sure its a nice idea to have a premium pass. For those that play lots of other games its not a good idea at all to suddenly have to cough up 30 euro or whatever more while you already paid 60 euro for the game.
  • Natetendo83
    reggiew wrote: »
    I would love new maps etc but Ive played since bf3 and I already hated it that if I hadn't played the game for a year or more I suddenly had to spend 30 euro or whatever to get all the updates. Felt like a ripoff to me. So I never did and then moved on again to other games. For those that play the same game for very long sure its a nice idea to have a premium pass. For those that play lots of other games its not a good idea at all to suddenly have to cough up 30 euro or whatever more while you already paid 60 euro for the game.

It felt like a ripoff to spend money on additional content? DICE worked on it, they can't just make that for free. You can still play and enjoy the base game just fine and all of the patches are free so you'll have all the bug fixes and all that. Only thing you can' t use are the new maps and some new guns. If you want new content, it makes sense to purchase it.

It's interesting because a lot of the complaints about Premium conflict with each other. For example this one above conflicts with all of the posts about how you can't find DLC servers because everybody plays Vanilla...and yet this complaint is that all you have access to is Vanilla. I get it, if you don't want to spend the money for whatever reason that's fine and I won't give you any trouble for that. But the reality is we get more content with the paid pass, so that's why a lot of us prefer that method.
  • xCRIMSONxGUARDx
    297 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    the whole split the player base thing was/is a lie. they don't even provide you with hard statics to prove this , which should also in turn prove to you it was a lie. ppl say things on youtube based on feelings and personal opinions not actual data. never in my bf carer on bf3,4,1 and even hardline did i ever have a hArd time finding a match in post dlc drop. NEVER!.
  • Art3misJinx
    229 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Can't believe we've actually come to the point where people are begging developers to bring back dlc packs and splitting communities.
  • xCRIMSONxGUARDx
    297 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Can't believe we've actually come to the point where people are begging developers to bring back dlc packs and splitting communities.

because it didn't. and why do ppl complain about season passes in bf,which is what premium is, actually its a multiple season pass compered to how it being done today in other franchise where it only good for one season. but yea lets spew things that have never been proven to be true.
  • G-Gnu
    1533 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    reggiew wrote: »

This is nothing new though , expansions has been going on for ages , now days it called DLC´s and really has nothing to do with Premium.
    You know that you could buy the DLC´s separate and the difference between Premium and buying every single DLC separate was that you saved some money on premium if you where going for all DLC´s with the initial price and that you got access to them one week earlier.
    Live service is praying upon ppl to use mtx and through that way get the revenue , but on the other hand the Dev´s or more like it , the publisher is calling the shots when and how much content there will be.
    And that is probably based upon how the numbers in revenues is going for the game.
  • Art3misJinx
    229 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

because it didn't. and why do ppl complain about season passes in bf,which is what premium is, actually its a multiple season pass compered to how it being done today in other franchise where it only good for one season. but yea lets spew things that have never been proven to be true.

Season pass just means you get all dlcs. Has nothing to do with actual seasons.
    And yes it splits the community. Because you have 2 groups, 1 who can play all maps, and 1 who can play only the standard maps. So I don't know what you're trying to say with it has never been proven that it splits the community?
  • xCRIMSONxGUARDx

Season pass just means you get all dlcs. Has nothing to do with actual seasons.
    And yes it splits the community. Because you have 2 groups, 1 who can play all maps, and 1 who can play only the standard maps. So I don't know what you're trying to say with it has never been proven that it splits the community?

because it hasent been proven, and still has not been proven, its just a theory.one that paved the way for live service non sense. i mean who cries about getting dlc cheaper in one package, as opposed to more for one separate dlc. seasons thing was making a point, but i guess it got missed.
This discussion has been closed.