FPS issues - any hope for optimization?

Bumstag1
60 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
i7 7700k
16 GB RAM
GTX 1080
1440p

I'm getting FPS issues, especially on Rotterdam. This one time I was playing Grand Operations, only objective "A" was left to attack. Pretty big fight, 50 guys in one street, FPS drops to 45. Not normal at all, when will this game be properly optimized?

Comments

• AngryVyper
    56 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited December 2018
    Well, I have no hope that it will be.
    From how the FPS drop and rise like on a rollercoaster ride, I bet the issues are too deep within the program to get fixed easily.

No BF before had such FPS issues. Even the building collapsing an Siege of Shanghai in BF did not lead to the amount of FPS drops like I get in BF V, when just looking in a different direction on a map change position a few meters. Never seen such such huge differences between max and min FPS.

For example on Twisted Steel playing Breakthrough, I start with around 80 FPS in the german base. When moving to flag A at the first stage FPS drop to around 60. When to shooting starts ist drops 10 FPS more. When I turn around an look back to the base the FPS jump up to 80 again.
    On the second stage it gets even worse. Fighting for the flag on the bridge is impossible for me. As soon as I pass the first arc on the bridge FPS go down to 40 and when I join the fight it drops to 25 (!). Taking a look to the right torwards flag B the FPS rise to around 60 again.

The worst thing about the FPS issues is that it seems that no one really can point the finger on what the issue is. From what I read so far even people with rigs far better than recommended have issues and some some people with combinations of old and new hardware have no issues. People with just 8 GB RAM report smooth gameplay, while people with 16 GB RAM have issues.

I play on a Ryzen 5 1600x 3,6 Ghz, X 370 chipset mainboard, 8 GB DDR 4 RAM and a RX 580 8GB, which replaced my ancient GTX 760 some days ago.

With the GTX 760, at 1080p , no DX 12, no HDR, all setting at the lowest and minimum FOV, I could play the game better than I expected. Even 64 players Operations was playable. Max FPS have been around 65 and it dropped in certain areas down to around 30, depending on the amount of action there.

So I figured that a better/ recommended GPU will not only rise the max FPS but also will rise the min FPS and now guess what happened.
    Yes, your right.
    As expected the max FPS increased to 130+ in some ares (Only change in settings I made was FOV set to 74 (90).) BUT not min FPS. As soon as some action starts the FPS crash down to around 55 FPS and drop even further to 30 FPS. So the only thing a better GPU does is increasing the max FPS but not the really the average FPS or the min FPS.

I agree with you, that this is "not normal". Your rig is far better then mine an the difference with the min FPS is just around 10 - 15 FPS, even with you having two time more RAM.

Meanwhile I wonder how the YT guys can run the game constantly at 130+ FPS. What rig do you need for that and why does our FPS drop so drastically an theirs not?
    Post edited by AngryVyper on
  • Bumstag1
    60 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    It is simple. Those youtube guys get sponsored by nvidia and get an RTX 2080 TI right off the bat.
  • AngryVyper
    56 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited December 2018
    Bumstag1 wrote: »
    It is simple. Those youtube guys get sponsored by nvidia and get an RTX 2080 TI right off the bat.

So you suggest everyone not having the best rig money can by will struggle with low min FPS, even with the so called recommended specs. So "recommended" nowadays means one can start the game and not anymore that one can run it with min FPS that lets one run the game with medium to high settings, as it was back in the day. Well, if you are right people like us are screwed.
  • CSO7777
    1136 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    For a lot of people (most people) the game runs fine.

BFV is a pretty demanding game especially for the CPU. But if you run the recommended specs all should be fine.

Low FPS can have so many causes and many of them are not the game, but something with drivers, Windows, hardware etc.

PC's are pretty complex and finding the cause of pc-problems can be a real pain.
  • -aarp-19Crib
    713 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    AngryVyper wrote: »

So you suggest everyone not having the best rig money can by will struggle with low min FPS, even with the so called recommended specs. So "recommended" nowadays means one can start the game and not anymore that one can run it with min FPS that lets one run the game with medium to high settings, as it was back in the day. Well, if you are right people like us are screwed.

Yup. It's time for me to put the wife and kids on short rations so I can drop another thou on my computer that will probably only change my rectangle warnings from orange to yellow if I'm lucky.
  • p0pcornMuncher
    358 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    game runs like butter for me, no problems at all. My cpu usage is a lot higher than it normally is for other games though so it does need a strong cpu.
  • MossbergMaverick
    23 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    This iteration of battlefailed has the same problem as every other one. When they release a patch, it cuts frame rates. I just went from playing 120-150 fps on ultra with a 2070 and 8700K to 80-100 fps at best. The only thing that changed was Dice releasing patches that kill performance. This has been ongoing with all battlefield titles for a long time. Some people don't notice, but I pay close attention to frame rates and refresh rates. This has ALWAYS been the case for me for at least a decade of gaming with dice. They recognized this ONCE in BF4 I think because the whole community complained, and they released a patch to fix it. Might have been bf3 or bc2, they all run together. That said ONE TIME they fixed it, but this same bug plagues their titles every time.
  • afzSnickelfritz
    144 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Here's a few suggestions:

Try repairing the game in the Origin UI.

Try medium or high settings. Avoid Ultra, especially for post-processing.

Use RTSS to hard-cap your framerate to a reasonable value for your GPU. (FYI, in-game limiters generally do not actually limit frames to the cap value)
    1080/2070 ~100fps
    1080Ti/2080 ~120fps
    2080ti ~144fps

You need a powerful CPU for this game; 8700K overclocked and water-cooled is not at all overkill.

Use high speed RAM, 3000mhz or higher and enable the XMP profile in BIOS.

Install Windows 10 1809 on a fast NVME M.2 drive. (Samsung 960 or higher would be good)

Make sure you are on win10 high performance power plan, and peg the GPU temp and voltage sliders in Afterburner for maximum power draw under load.

Make sure your PC cooling system is actually working. CPU/GPU temps should not be spiking high 70's or low 80's under load.
  • Bumstag1
    I consider an i7 7700k a fairly decent CPU. I have no doubts that it is enough for this game. As for the memory, it's 2666mhz with XMP enabled. The latest version of Windows is installed on a samsung 970 pro. High performance power plan is enabled, and since the GPU is overclocked it has maximum power output. I designed my rig to be cool and quiet, I have no thermal issues.
  • jaggafeen
    21 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited December 2018
    i have 6700k and 16gb 3000mhz ram and r9 fury nitro and samsung 970 pro nvme drive, i play on 34" widescreen res of 3440x1440 and get 90 to 120fps with high settings, bfv runs far better than most games and if you have a fps issue it will be most likely due to old hardware or some driver or bios issue. My rig had CTD issue with bfv and was fixed by updating to latest bios which fixed some error with cpu microcode (motherboard gigabyte z170x gaming 7). if i was you i would check see if your xmp profile has set the memory hz correctly and the timings.
  • jaggafeen
    21 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited December 2018

thats why most reviews on youtube are rigged in favour of nvidia because the reviewers will run the tests the way nvidia tell them to in order to get free gpu, cpu, boards and free monitors from nvidia. Nvidia is a nasty company and will stoop to any level including lying and rigging tests in their favor. this is how nvidia spread lies and propaganda to belittle products that are actually better than theirs.