Tanks

forthecandy
59 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield Member
edited May 2016
First... I would like to say that I am excited about the fact, that something like WWI battlefield is coming up. I love Great War aerial warfare (Im looking at you, Rise of flight). But I am kinda worried about the tanks in this game....

As you can see, tanks of the Great War were slow (like faster walking slow), unreliable, had a crew of sometimes even 10-15 men and one huge problem ->>> CENTRAL POWERS only had about 20 A7V tanks and few captured allied tanks!

Tanks were a huge impact on the war, but only for allies. They had tons of them and even then, about 90% of the tanks were "destroyed" due to technical flaws, stucking in mud, etc...

THE ONLY tank vs tank battle was in Villers-Bretonneux and it was ONLY three on three battle.. British rather good Mark IV and hopeless A7V...

So my question is... How do you want to make the game balanced, if the real war was SO DAMN UNBALANCED in terms of tanks? It would be literally NO TANKS for central powers.....

Sure, you can make A7V better than it really was and make them in the same numbers as allied tanks, but then we would be playing SCI-FI with "WWI theme".

I know that most of the people are uninterested in facts of the war and simply want something new and I cant blame them. But Im sure that Im not the only one who wants some realism, and not Wolfenstein in WWI settings.

Oh, and please, not every Fokker Dr.1 (that plane with three wings) was red. Only very few elite pilots painted their planes, not only because it was rather forbidden (the plane was extremely expensive, work of art, top notch technology) but the paint itself was so expensive and hard to get, that even factory painted planes were merely "splashed" with paint to save money at the end of the war.

I hope that some interesting discussion will emerge here :)

Comments

• RODR1GU3Z_619
    68 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited May 2016
    As a Beasty Tank driver my self in BF4 , I have to say I'm glad that I won't have to deal with scrub guided shells and sofams in BF1. Oh and not to mention MBT laws and javelins .
  • forthecandy
    Well... tanks were almost insta-killed by artillery or bomber once they were stuck... And even some higher caliber rifles could do some damage to them.
  • RODR1GU3Z_619
    68 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Yeah something tells me that it won't be fun in tanks .
  • MegaloDorian
    904 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I think DICE will make the tanks a bit faster than their real life counterparts. Like, not modern Battlefield "fast," but maybe two or three times their real speeds. Also, the T-Gewehr. Anti-tank combat will be interesting. The T-Gewehr will most likely be much more comparable to the railgun in Final Stand rather than an RPG-7 or SMAW. Of course, a bullet from an anti-tank rifle will be moving a good bit slower than the railgun projectile, but so are the tanks moving slower. Overall, the T-Gewehr will likely be easy to hit tanks with, but it'd do pretty limited damage per shot. DICE may even put a "localized damage" system into place, kind of like in War Thunder, WoT, and RO2. Although, I can't really see it being as in-depth. Mainly, hit a part of the tank with the T-Gewehr, and you may inflict damage on a crew member. As for crew, it'd probably efficiently operate with somewhere from two to six people, depending on how many it'd take to fill up the driver and gun positions.
  • Reconpilot001
    107 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield Member
    > @MegaloDorian said:
    > Overall, the T-Gewehr will likely be easy to hit tanks with, but it'd do pretty limited damage per shot. DICE may even put a "localized damage" system into place, kind of like in War Thunder, WoT, and RO2. Although, I can't really see it being as in-depth. Mainly, hit a part of the tank with the T-Gewehr, and you may inflict damage on a crew member. As for crew, it'd probably efficiently operate with somewhere from two to six people, depending on how many it'd take to fill up the driver and gun positions.

Actually that inputs a funny thing, too many to crew a tank means you cant put too many tanks otherwise the battlefield is emptied if there are 4 tanks on the map. Unless its the french light 2 man crew tanks.
  • GalaxyMix
    336 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    They don't have to follow exactly what real life vehicles or weapons do. Just like in BF3 and BF4, they are not all exact to real life weapons and vehicles. also, maybe tanks can be used by any army by considering them "captured".

They can make the tanks faster, have Gas launchers, flamethrower....etc.

Maybe even let the tanks have a lock-down state where it can regen/repair itself.
  • RaNdOmKils666
    596 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    They'll probably have different classes of tanks. So lighter tanks will probably just have 2 man crews and bigger heavier ones will probably be 4 - 6 man crews. I'd imagine there'd be a faster lightly armored transport type ones as well. The antitank class (most likely support, since there's no engineer class) will probably get a 20mm AT rifle as a counter.
  • Reconpilot001
    maybe flak 88 will be sufficient to kill armor?
  • RaNdOmKils666
    596 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited May 2016
    The german 88mm wasn't in WW1. They had 20mm AT rifles, dynamite, artillery and biplanes to deal with tanks.
  • Reconpilot001
    edited May 2016
    wasnt the 88 flak anti-zeppelin material ? and didnt the treaty of versaille prohibit them from producing them?

the K-Flak 88mm. i mean
  • forthecandy
    Well, faster tanks would probably be necessary, but tank classes? There were only a few models of tanks... Main difference was cannonXmachine gun. (they used to call them male x female according to the equip)... I'm not saying that other Battlefields were simulations, bit it looked kinda ok given the modern technology... But WWI tanks would have to be EXTREMELY changed in order to be useful.

And there is still the problem with balancing.. Captured tanks, ok, but there were rare cases of this, and that would mean that there would be Mark IVs all over the place...
  • Reconpilot001
    Limited classes? for the germans maybe, the british and french had plenty of different designs, from the heavy and mud prone St chamond to the well known mark IV and renault ft to the lesser known whippet. plenty to chose from.
  • forthecandy
    Well, you are right, but still, that would be totally unfair for central powers, that used only one type of tannk
  • RaNdOmKils666
    > @Reconpilot001 said:
    > wasnt the 88 flak anti-zeppelin material ? and didnt the treaty of versaille prohibit them from producing them?
    >
    > the K-Flak 88mm. i mean

The K-flak 88mm was designed as an AA gun, but it failed in it's role due to the relatively slow rounds usually missed there targets. Against tanks though they were much more effective against
  • Reconpilot001
    > @RaNdOmKils666 said:
    > > @Reconpilot001 said:
    > > wasnt the 88 flak anti-zeppelin material ? and didnt the treaty of versaille prohibit them from producing them?
    > >
    > > the K-Flak 88mm. i mean
    >
    > The K-flak 88mm was designed as an AA gun, but it failed in it's role due to the relatively slow rounds usually missed there targets. Against tanks though they were much more effective against

Thank you ! i am now less Stu-pid.
  • RaNdOmKils666
    edited May 2016
    > @Reconpilot001 said:
    > > @RaNdOmKils666 said:
    > > > @Reconpilot001 said:
    > > > wasnt the 88 flak anti-zeppelin material ? and didnt the treaty of versaille prohibit them from producing them?
    > > >
    > > > the K-Flak 88mm. i mean
    > >
    > > The K-flak 88mm was designed as an AA gun, but it failed in it's role due to the relatively slow rounds usually missed there targets. Against tanks though they were much more effective against
    >
    > Thank you ! i am now less Stu-pid.

The only thing "stu-pid" is the quoting boxes being non-existent :)
  • Jal-89
    391 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I think tanks in Battlefield 1 will be a great sucess. This is why: It will require alot more teamwork to get the maximum effect of the tanks purpose, the weapons will be oldschool machineguns etc, that will make alot of fun for the gunner positions and again teamworking. The infantry guys on the ground will require more teamwork cause of the lack of anti tank weapons during that era. That is what i hope for and i cant wait to play in tanks & blow them up myself.
  • Reconpilot001
    > @Jal-89 said:
    > I think tanks in Battlefield 1 will be a great sucess. This is why: It will require alot more teamwork to get the maximum effect of the tanks purpose, the weapons will be oldschool machineguns etc, that will make alot of fun for the gunner positions and again teamworking. The infantry guys on the ground will require more teamwork cause of the lack of anti tank weapons during that era. That is what i hope for and i cant wait to play in tanks & blow them up myself.

hear hear !
  • MegaloDorian
    904 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    We also have to remember that tanks, at the time, were meant to be self-propelled, armored machine gun nests (though some models did have cannons). Most of them serve a relatively different role than what we know of tanks from WW2 to today. These tanks will likely be more akin to the IFVs or AAV-7A1 AMTRAC from the recent Battlefield games, or maybe even Battlefield 3's tank destroyers.
  • JuveOG1105
    267 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Medal of Honor Warfighter Member
    [quote="forthecandy;950"]Well... tanks were almost insta-killed by artillery or bomber once they were stuck... And even some higher caliber rifles could do some damage to them.[/quote]

Yes a grenade on the top of the British tanks easily took them out. I'm hoping that in this game the armor on top of British tanks is weak like in real life.