Game freezes my PC

Elric2A
4 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
Hi,

I took the game few days ago and i'm experiencing random freeze forcing me to reboot the computer. I only have the issue with this game..

here's my specs
Temps are fine during gaming, around 60c to 65c

Motherboard: Asus Maximus Hero X
Processor: i7 8700k delid @4.8Ghz all cores 1.26vcore
GPU : GTX 1080 TI EVGA FTW3
Ram : 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB / 3466Mhz
PSU: Corsair RMI 850 GOLD
Watercooling : Corsair H150i Pro RGB with NF F12 Noctua fans

Thanks

Comments

• TNA_SneakyMonkey
    535 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited January 5
    Back off the overclock a bit or bump your vcore a bit, provided you can keep the temps in your comfort zone. I don't care what synthetic benchmarks or torture tests say. This game is really good at finding unstable overclocks.I had the exact same issue. The only solution was more cowbell vcore.
  • Elric2A
    I see; just tried to put an avx offset to 2 instead of 1, apparently BFV uses it so maybe that would solve the issue without having to remove my OC?
  • TNA_SneakyMonkey
    535 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited January 6
    It may well do - I'm given to understand that AVX work generates quite a lot more heat. I can't comment on AVX offset in any detail, however, as I don't run a Kaby Lake or higher CPU.

It will, however, downclock your CPU when AVX instructions are run.
  • Elric2A
    Well still crashes even with avx offset, i came back to my stock profile. I don't think i'll see a huge FPS difference anyways at 1440 p right?
  • ackers75
    2069 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I would go back to stock and eliminate the easy stuff first
  • OptimaForma
    129 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    You say temp is fine but maybe it isnt. You probably know the CPU is not allowed to go beyond 72 degrees or it will throttle down. But there are more temps to monitor. One that people often forget is just the ambient temp in the case. Most power supply units, PSU, are not allowed to exceed 52 degrees. Ram has a max temp, so has the HDD or the SSD. One more thing, the GPU is often capable of getting hot, but I for one have set my fan of the GPU on 100% from 60 degrees and up, not at 80. Now the GPU stays at 62'ish, instead of creeping up to 79. Works better.

Your error sounds hardware related because of the freeze forcing a reboot. Go for a clean install of legitimate OS, drivers etc. Either way, now or then, you should run a Benchmark. I'm talking proper bench of an hour, not the 5 minutes crap not pushing the system to the max.

Only then you'll exclude hardware from your issues. If the hardware stays stable under a heavy bench, you can move on. Imho, after checking this, 9/10 times the problem is eliminated in the process
  • Elric2A
    Well i came back to stock profile not OC and no issues anymore, runs fine and no crash :) Not even a difference in FPS actually.. but i'm gaming at 1440p so i guess going from stock to 4.8 is negligeable in terms of FPS right?
  • PDGC_sandmanNL
    204 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Elric2A wrote: »
    Well i came back to stock profile not OC and no issues anymore, runs fine and no crash :) Not even a difference in FPS actually.. but i'm gaming at 1440p so i guess going from stock to 4.8 is negligeable in terms of FPS right?

You waste a lot of heat with that overclock, your cpu is not a bottleneck for your gtx 1080ti.
    It would be different if you had the cpu I have, I'm still on a core i5 4670k, on stock profile it can not feed
    the gtx 1080ti with data fast enough so the gtx 1080ti would idle all the time.
    With the rx480 my system is more in balance, the gpu is running at 90% of its capacity and the cpu between 70% and 80%.
    CPU runs at 4.4 ghz with 1.22 on vrin, the rx480 runs at 1.4ghz and graphics memory is at 10 ghz.
  • Elric2A
    Yep i went back to auto and i guess it's suppose to be :

1 active core : 47
    2 cores: 46

and all is fine, i don't see any difference in fps.. temps dropped a little but not that much actually, 60 to 62c in game
  • SeismoMarine
    54 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Take a look for temperature of you RAM and the usage, may temp is to high for it or a RAM is broken.
  • ChiffonTooth8
    24 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    This has nothing to do with overclocks. I am getting this all the time and have never oc'd my pc. Annoys the f out of me. ctrl alt delete won't even rectify it. I need to hold down my poeer button to shut down my pc. Never had this issue with any other software.
  • TNA_SneakyMonkey
    I was getting the exact same issue and the only solution was to tweak my overclock with more vcore, so yeah - saying that it definitively has nothing to do with overclocks is a bit premature, wouldn't you agree?
  • uz_bolderaju
    274 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    You say temp is fine but maybe it isnt. You probably know the CPU is not allowed to go beyond 72 degrees or it will throttle down. 

Are you talking about Pentium 4 ?

8700k Tjunction is 100 degrees  and it will throttle down at 90 !

• uz_bolderaju
    274 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    You say temp is fine but maybe it isnt. You probably know the CPU is not allowed to go beyond 72 degrees or it will throttle down.  
    Are you talking about Pentium 4 ?