Hidden in plain sight: Showcasing prone "invisibility"

Hawxxeye
5024 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
edited January 12
I came upon a case where the enemies were completely unable to find me while I was in their base for a good minute, mowing them down with the VGO.
I think it is a good example of how it can be hard to notice enemies in BFV but from the killing side instead of the receiving end for a change.
At the end I also fall to another prone enemy who was in front of me but I myself could not notice him.

Update:
The prone visibility shenanigans have a sequel already.
In some ways this is a worse offender than last time in my opinion. That third guy should had killed me without dying.

Update 2:
Yesterday I had to go afk inside a contested objective for a while and I found myself alive since I was apparently looking like a corpse until I started moving again when I came back.

update 3!:
I never expected that this would end up almost becoming a series of a sort.
It seems that using an MMG causes these situations to happen more often.
This time one of the guys killed was also amused at how long it took for his team to finally slay his killer next to his body.
Another guy maining assault seemed to be really salty about MMGs for some reason though (not in the video)
Post edited by Hawxxeye on

Comments

• maskedocelot
    139 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I'm not sure if I see that as a problem, there are hints like bullets flying and the noise of the gun, positions of dead allies. Also the killcam or directional damage notifications tend to tell you which direction you got shot from. So if you die you can come back and actively search for them to minimise damage.
    Also I'm personally hopeless with mmg's and get about 2 to 3 moments like that in a game which brings me into line with everyone else kill wise if i'm lucky. MMG's might be a bit too restrictive if you're really easy to spot. If it was happening to loads of people on a regular basis or like all game then I'd change my mind, but I haven't seen that yet.
  • aRrAyStArTaT0
    786 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Hawxxeye wrote: »
    I came upon a case where the enemies were completely unable to find me while I was in their base for a good minute, mowing them down with the VGO.
    I think it is a good example of how it can be hard to notice enemies in BFV but from the killing side instead of the receiving end for a change.
    At the end I also fall to another prone enemy who was in front of me but I myself could not notice him.

I've had this happen to me. I was back prone in a trench actively shooting enemies and it took an enemy I already killed to respawn and kill me in order for me to actually even get detected. It was pretty crazy.
    The main issue is that enemies that are dead are moving. Allies that are dead are still moving. An alive soldier is not moving, thus appearing dead and those waiting for revives appearing to be alive.
    It's a massive issue with animation. We shouldn't have to second guess whether or not a body is dead. Not to mention that you can't tell who is ally and who is enemy when a player is waiting for a revive. I've watched a player get shot (too quickly for me to tell whether or not if it's ally or enemy) and I ignore it only for an enemy to come up to them, revive them, and for me to die to them.
    There's just a lot of clarity issues going on with the game. I've not had a single game where it's nearly impossible to tell allies from enemies without taking a more distinct look at them.
    I think the blue spot that appears above allies actually takes a good .2 seconds before it even appears on your screen. I've tracked players moving from cover to cover while trying to shoot them only for them to come out into the open and see it's an ally. Not to mention the opacity is the equivalent of the flag icon when you're not looking directly at it or it's not marked by a squad leader.
  • BaconRebellion
    2423 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Hawxxeye wrote: »

I've had this happen to me. I was back prone in a trench actively shooting enemies and it took an enemy I already killed to respawn and kill me in order for me to actually even get detected. It was pretty crazy.
    The main issue is that enemies that are dead are moving. Allies that are dead are still moving. An alive soldier is not moving, thus appearing dead and those waiting for revives appearing to be alive.
    It's a massive issue with animation. We shouldn't have to second guess whether or not a body is dead. Not to mention that you can't tell who is ally and who is enemy when a player is waiting for a revive. I've watched a player get shot (too quickly for me to tell whether or not if it's ally or enemy) and I ignore it only for an enemy to come up to them, revive them, and for me to die to them.
    There's just a lot of clarity issues going on with the game. I've not had a single game where it's nearly impossible to tell allies from enemies without taking a more distinct look at them.
    I think the blue spot that appears above allies actually takes a good .2 seconds before it even appears on your screen. I've tracked players moving from cover to cover while trying to shoot them only for them to come out into the open and see it's an ally. Not to mention the opacity is the equivalent of the flag icon when you're not looking directly at it or it's not marked by a squad leader.

That was one thing I was afraid of when they said character customization was going to be a thing. Take away the character profile and distonguishable silhouettes and everything begins to blend together. Now its not only difficult to tell whether or not someones an enemy or ally but you dont m ow what class they actually are. Even on your own team its hard to tell at a glance whose a medic or aupport to get resupplied.

Imo they shouldve made outfits specific to each class and all outfits foe that class keeping a distinguished silhouette.

In BF 1 it was easy to see who was who. That guy has crutches I better kill him first before I continue surpression. Now idk if thats a medic or not...o crap hes reviving let me stop surpressing fire and try to kill him too late dead.

Is that guy on the bridge a recon or assault? No scope glint so maybe assault? If so I can deal with him quickly and.....headshot dead.

• TFBisquit
    1219 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Yeah, see players spawn behind me without the icon, takes a couple of seconds before it's there. It's not all the time though.
    As for the video, yeah it's like you're really invisible when on your back.
    The respawning is ofcourse a different matter, could be their squad has a sniper somewhere else on the map, they respawn there and wont find their way to you in time or don't care.
    The reason why the rest doesn't see your bullet tracers is strange. It's like they don't see that either.
  • XxCHAOS315xX
    128 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I kinda dont mind it. Adds a level of concealment to the game, adding a bit of strategy. I'm glad theres scope glint so we can find and slaughter the useless hill humpers but otherwise I'm ok with camouflage being somewhat functional.
  • ninjapenquinuk
    1719 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    The bleed out mechanic is definitely causing issues With people thinking live players are 'dead'. It's the whole being able to lie on your back and shoot animation that's confusing people.
  • ackers75
    2214 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Does anyone actually stand up in this game anymore?
  • One_Eyed_W1LLy
    108 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Its so weird how all the enemies on your video are moving so slowly and smoothly. When i play, everyone jerks around like rag dolls. No wonder my KD is so low :)
  • ProAssassin2003
    3041 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I think people are completely unaware of there surroundings
  • One_Eyed_W1LLy
    108 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Thats so true, i'm always walking into closed doors.
  • OrionPherrit
    427 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I think the invisibility bug from BF1 is rearing its unseeable head again, because several times I’ve been killed by muzzle flashes on the floor or wall with no enemy attached. They don’t appear until I’m writhing in my death throes. I haven’t been able to capture it on video yet, but still working on it…
  • ninjapenquinuk
    1719 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    The bleed out mechanic is definitely causing issues With people thinking live players are 'dead'. It's the whole being able to lie on your back and shoot animation that's confusing people.

Yep. Lying on your back shouldn't provide prone benefits or ADS capability. If you want to exploit it, you should be limited to regular or crouched hipfire.

yup. Style over substance. It's something that wasnt needed and has caused other unintended issues
  • DrunkOnRedWine
    1343 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    On Hamada there is a spot where you can go prone in the rocks near C, I have got 15 kill streaks here where the enemy simply can not see you, the invisible man. The only thing that gives you away is the muzzle flash and bullet traces. Hamada visibility is probably the worst of all the maps - the rocks and soldier visibility makes the map play like pinning the tail on the donkey blindfolded.
  • DingoKillr
    3435 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

Yep. Lying on your back shouldn't provide prone benefits or ADS capability. If you want to exploit it, you should be limited to regular or crouched hipfire.

yup. Style over substance. It's something that wasnt needed and has caused other unintended issues

I am not sure on that. When using cover firing over the top then going prone can get you caught, while falling to your back is allows you to escape the fire and being hit. I think it is a good stance.

We as community are still not use to the position. How many complained still about prone as hiding to easy.