Are all melee weapons as garbage and buggy as each other?

Jonny_ChaosMCR
1350 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
edited January 2019
Just wondering is there any that actually work, or are they all just different skins of the same rubbish feature?

Comments

• TEKNOCODE
    11538 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Hatchet for the win.
  • Jonny_ChaosMCR
    1350 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited January 2019
    Been using shovel on all classes for a challenge and it's absolutely awful. Just bounces off peoples heads.
  • Tullzter
    1214 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Headbutt the prone guys is pretty neat
  • On-Swift-Wings
    304 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited January 2019
    They have invisible stats, but they're supposedly like that of bf1. Smaller weaps do less damage but the takedown range is wider, bigger weaps are the opposite.

I've reaped about 300 dogtags so far and from experience this seems to be the case. I use solveigs knife almost exclusively now
  • Dr_X2345
    774 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I've not really had any issues with them so far, other than the OHK animations sometimes getting me killed because of how long they take if I take out the rear member of a squad moving together, but then that's kind of to be expected because even if they're not in chat they'll still all see the other player die and me crouched over their body like Gollum.
    Actually there is one occasion where I can remember not being able to get the kill because I couldn't hit the enemy, but it was inside a collapsing building and there was lots of smoke and nearby explosions, so it may well have been me thinking a dead body was a proned player.
  • Nesodos
    80 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    The bigger weapons can destroy windows, knifes can't. They also have more range/damage at cost of slower speed than knifes.
    It seems that the takedowns are bugged in general atm but its possible to pull them off all day if you are getting extra close (footsteps are bugged too, be aware of sprinting knife ninjas)
  • sasqch10
    173 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    The bayonet charge is pretty worthless with the quick TTD. It’s buggy but the cherry on top appears when you charge into someone( or just as likely get caught up on stairs or grass) and the kill animation doesn’t load and you stop or ghost through them..Happens to me with melee weapons occasionally PS4 btw . Anyone else?
  • smys123
    973 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited January 2019
    Been using shovel on all classes for a challenge and it's absolutely awful. Just bounces off peoples heads.

@Jonny_ChaosMCR I finally completed that one....I had to come up behind some snipers and melee them with it.
  • Head3masher
    1420 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Just wondering is there any that actually work, or are they all just different skins of the same rubbish feature?

Sadly not, whole game is broken. Hope things improve for Battlefield 6.
  • UraniumReaper
    594 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Dr_X2345 wrote: »
    I've not really had any issues with them so far, other than the OHK animations sometimes getting me killed because of how long they take if I take out the rear member of a squad moving together, but then that's kind of to be expected because even if they're not in chat they'll still all see the other player die and me crouched over their body like Gollum.
    Actually there is one occasion where I can remember not being able to get the kill because I couldn't hit the enemy, but it was inside a collapsing building and there was lots of smoke and nearby explosions, so it may well have been me thinking a dead body was a proned player.

Or you knife em and their squadmate spawns behind you... instantly melee killing you.
  • PanamaLado
    33 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Forget the melee weapons in BF V ..give us the fists back..that would be more fun..
  • Bamsmacked
    116 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Melee combat feels a lot less rewarding or worth doing unless you sneak up on someone.

I've been in an engagement before where I knifed someone like 3 times and didn't kill them. Not sure if this is intentional or if it's bugged...

In any case, if you can get close enough to someone and not get your brains blown out I feel like melee should do a lot more damage than what it does now. In previous titles if you had them injured enough and managed to melee them even from the front, it usually would execute them.
  • Jonny_ChaosMCR
    Bamsmacked wrote: »
    Melee combat feels a lot less rewarding or worth doing unless you sneak up on someone.

I've been in an engagement before where I knifed someone like 3 times and didn't kill them. Not sure if this is intentional or if it's bugged...

In any case, if you can get close enough to someone and not get your brains blown out I feel like melee should do a lot more damage than what it does now. In previous titles if you had them injured enough and managed to melee them even from the front, it usually would execute them.

This kind of thing happens to me all the time
  • Agent_Talon
    439 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Cricket bat all day every day.
  • Dr_X2345
    774 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

Haven't got it yet but it looks brutal lol. I'm a fan of the club on the first three classes but I use the scout knife on my Recon.
    Out of interest, and because I completed Nordlys but haven't got the knife, what does the thing about completing all activities on a war story mean? Unless it's just bugged I'm guessing you have to do something other than just complete the mission?
  • ElliotLH
    8976 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Tullzter wrote: »
    Headbutt the prone guys is pretty neat

I've had that happen once and I got shot to bits just at the start of the animation so it didn't compete. It was a low point lol
  • diagoro
    1591 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Does the constitution hammer work as a melee weapon, or does it default to the equiped melee?

Haven't tried it, assumed I would just build my own coffin and jump in. I never get the instant melee kill, usually it's a tap on the should to say hi.
  • ITS_BOB_GNARLY
    2190 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

I love the cricket bat, it's so brutal.
  • Loki_Deezie
    872 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Use the pick axe. Not only does it have sweet animations but will also break the frames of windows where most the other melee will not.
  • Chubzdoomer
    1397 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I haven't had any issues with them. Then again, I actually try to shoot people first.