Upgrade suggestions Low FPS in certain maps

mostafa_0017
4 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
My setup is
Intel i5 4440
8 GB RAM
Radeon R9 280
I get low FPS 25-35 in certain maps sometimes and sometimes it's 55-60 FPS but some maps are more likely to cause FPS drops like Heligoland Bight and BALLROOM BLITZ
so what should I upgrade first or what should help me with my FPS more I was thinking about getting a RX 580 but read that BF 1 depends on CPU more than other titles and when checking CPU and GPU utilization I get a 89-98 CPU utilization most of the time and a 75-95 GPU utilization
So if I were to upgrade my CPU what should I get a newer i5 something like 8th or 9th Gen or an i7 ?
waiting to hear your thoughts.

Comments

• Titan_Awaken
    491 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Yes it's true that BF1 (and BFV for that matter) loves to chew up CPU power.

The difference for me (1080p, 144Hz, Ultra) between an i5-7400 and an i7-7700K was over 20 fps with a GTX 1060 6GB. So an i5 9th Gen or an i7 (preferably with over or at least 4c/8t) will work nicely for at least the next few years.

Also make sure your RAM is running in dual channel mode (2x4GB, 2x8GB, etc) in the correct DIMM slots. This also improves performance significantly.

--

I'm not familiar with AMD GPUs so I can't really comment on it.
  • BigF33t_13
    6600 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    edited January 11
    Upgrade to a cpu with at least 6 threads. The r9 280 is fairly weak by today's standards (but the big brother to my hd7950). It's good enough for 1080p gaming. The cpu has to go though.
  • mostafa_0017
    edited January 11
    My RAM is 2x4GB in dual channel
    It's worth mentioning that I followed these guides and got somewhat better performance the first and second rounds are almost locked 60 FPS (even in BALLROOM BLITZ) and the third is not guaranteed sometimes there are no issues other times I have to alt+tab and stay in windows for a 2-3 minutes then get back to the game (as if the CPU forgets about the game for a while then start a bit fresh I don't know) sometimes the FPS drop go away after a while so I think I 'll stick with my current setup until I can get a newer CPU (which as I wasn't paying attention to the latest tech will make me not only change my mobo "normally as it needs a newer socket" but also upgrade to DDR4 RAM).
    Post edited by mostafa_0017 on
  • Titan_Awaken
    491 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    It's worth mentioning that I followed these guides and got somewhat better performance the first and second rounds are almost locked 60 FPS (even in BALLROOM BLITZ) and the third is not guaranteed sometimes there are no issues other times I have to alt+tab and stay in windows for a 2-3 minutes then get back to the game (as if the CPU forgets about the game for a while then start a bit fresh I don't know) sometimes the FPS drop go away after a while so I think I 'll stick with my current setup until I can get a newer CPU (which as I wasn't paying attention to the latest tech will make me not only change my mobo "normally as it needs a newer socket" but also upgrade to DDR4 RAM).

Fair enough.

Also a tip: You might be getting the standby memory issue if you're stuttering midway into a match. Try using RAMMAP to clear your standby memory after or before each one or two rounds.
  • mostafa_0017

Fair enough.

Also a tip: You might be getting the standby memory issue if you're stuttering midway into a match. Try using RAMMAP to clear your standby memory after or before each one or two rounds.

Yeah I use RAMMAP after 2 rounds or whenever I feel a stuttering.
  • JRMBelgiumTwitch
    720 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    - AMD Ryzen 5 2600 Processor
    - MSI Performance Gaming AMD X470
    - Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB

With one google search, you'll find about 50 pages confirming that this CPU can be OC'ed to 4Ghz on all 6 cores with no issues.
    This will result in great gaming performance in Battlefield 1 and V.

You will not need to replace your GPU for BF1 and you should have a stable 60fps+ on low/medium settings.

That's about 420$ for the total upgrade. ( Amazon.com )

Why do I recommend this upgrade and not an RX 580 for example. While the RX580 will boost your game performance on other games like COD, Frostbite engine really benefits from CPU power and dual-channel high-speed memory. And, I previously owned an RX 390 and my CPU upgrade alone from a 3.4Ghz Xeon CPU from 2011 to an Ryzen 2700x almost doubled my performance in Battlefield 1. I only upgraded to Vega 56 because I wanted to play on a higher resolution scale.

Another benefit is that this X470 will be Ryzen 3xxx compatible. Meaning you can still upgrade your CPU again a couple of years from now, while you wont be albe to do that if you buy the latest Intel platform. You will be stuck at the maximum power of the 9900K, while AMD already demonstrated that their Ryzen 5 3600 is already faster then that at half the power consumption at CES 2019. So why upgrade ot a platform that has no more upgrade path and with CPU's that will become mid-range by the time AMD releases their Ryzen 3 CPU's this year.

Beleave me, that 420$ will impove your game performance greatly on every game you play ;)
  • mostafa_0017
    I have been an AMD fan since I have heard of them against Nvidia regarding GPUs (even when they were under-powered by their Nvidia counterparts) for taking the open source path and having Anti-monopoly policy but when it came to CPUs selecting AMD over Intel was a major disadvantage in the FX era so when the new Ryzen series was launched and reviews and reports showed that they were head to head with Intel if not even better the traditionalist in me stuck with Intel and that's why I thought of Intel when I considered upgrading but you can say you have persuaded me to consider AMD with the future upgrade-ability which has been always a major concern of mine with Intel.
  • skipsneeky
    28 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I never had dips that bad off when i had my i5 4460 and 8gb. The main difference was that my system had a 1070ti in it though. Of course it would bottleneck right up to 1440p even maxed out. Haven't had a single issue with my i5 8400 and the 16gb ram upgrade though,it even does fine in BF5.