[email protected] low fps with 1080ti and Intel 2600k processor

El_Sansdent
4 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
Hello,

I'm getting very low FPS in BF1 with my rig, i'm averaging at 60fps (multiplayer or campaign) , and often go bellow 30fps for some reason, i will post a youtube video later this day with ingame footage.
I'm wondering if those numbers are usuals, but i think it's low for a 1080ti even with an old sandy bridge.
I use afterburner to monitor my rig and i'm not at 100% for GPU OR CPU, i don't understand where the bottleneck is coming from, this drive me crazy.

My rig :
ASUS P8PEVO (latest BIOS - from 2012) + [email protected] + 16GB 1600mhz + [email protected] + DELL GSYNG 1440p 144hz monitor.
Last windows 10 release + last nvidia drivers.

Game settings : 1440p - Ultra settings - VSYNC OFF - 144Hz - 100% scale - Fullscreen

I allready tried to uninstall drivers (using DDU) / tweak my BIOS (XMP profile for memory + disabling high precision timer )

I appreciate if a user with the same spec could post his numbers.

(sorry for my english, i'm french)

Thank You

Comments

• Titan_Awaken
    97 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I'll keep it simple and short.

Your CPU does not meet minimum requirements, i5-6600K, so there is a CPU bottleneck preventing the 1080ti from being fully utilised.

I have a 1080ti paired with a 7820X (8 core, 16 threads) + 32GB RAM 3200MHz XMP and I average over 115 FPS on Ultra, 1080p.

Software fixes won't work. You can try increasing resolution scale in Settings to increase GPU usage but that's about it.

It's time to upgrade that CPU.

--

tl;dr CPU bottleneck. Upgrade CPU.
  • Mikex2112
    992 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member

Your CPU does not meet minimum requirements, i5-6600K, so there is a CPU bottleneck preventing the 1080ti from being fully utilised.

I have a 1080ti paired with a 7820X (8 core, 16 threads) + 32GB RAM 3200MHz XMP and I average over 115 FPS on Ultra, 1080p.

Software fixes won't work. You can try increasing resolution scale in Settings to increase GPU usage but that's about it.

--

At 1440p he's/she's more GPU bound so that Sandy Bridge CPU is fine
  • Titan_Awaken
    97 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Mikex2112 wrote: »

--

At 1440p he's/she's more GPU bound so that Sandy Bridge CPU is fine

Yes, playing at 2K places more load on the GPU, hence why I recommended OP to up their in-game resolution scale. Despite that, a 1080ti is still overkill for 1440p (note the 1080ti is marketed as a 4K ready GPU). Hell, even a 1060 can run the game on 1440p provided you turn down the necessary graphical settings.

I apologise if I didn't make it evident in my first post but a 2700K is just a tad bit too old for gaming today. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's obsolete or useless by any means but it's evidently unbalanced when paired with a very high end GPU like a 1080ti. Combine this with the fact that BF1 is a CPU heavy game and you will have a noticeable FPS problem. My old rig saw a huge jump of over 20 fps when I jumped from an i5-7400 (below min spec) to a 7700K paired with a 1060. Difference was night and day.

It's kind of like having a person with huge muscles but is below average in intelligence. Not balanced or optimal.

Long story short, if you're planning to get a very good GPU, you'll optimally want a CPU that can handle it adequately.
  • El_Sansdent
    edited January 14
    Hello,

This review doesn't show any significant difference between 8600k and 2600k @ 1440p and i'm far from the result given in this review, this why i'm wondering if something's going wrong with my rig.

https://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/76333-i7-2600k-vs-i7-8700k-upgrading-worthwhile-9.html
    Post edited by El_Sansdent on
  • El_Sansdent
  • Titan_Awaken
    Hello,

This review doesn't show any significant difference between 8600k and 2600k @ 1440p and i'm far from the result given in this review, this why i'm wondering if something's going wrong with my rig.

https://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/76333-i7-2600k-vs-i7-8700k-upgrading-worthwhile-9.html

Well the only other explanation I can give is the RAM. Are you running the RAM in dual channel mode (eg. 2x8GB in the correct DIMM slots) or single channel? Asking this because there can be a 10-20 FPS increase just by running dual channel RAM.
  • El_Sansdent
    I read the test setup of their review, it's dual channel [email protected], on my rig it's 4x [email protected], so it possible that the memory frenquency have a hit on FPS. don't know.. i will investigate this way.
  • Titan_Awaken
    I read the test setup of their review, it's dual channel [email protected], on my rig it's 4x [email protected], so it possible that the memory frenquency have a hit on FPS. don't know.. i will investigate this way.

Yes, generally the higher the frequency the better. Anything between 2100 MHz and 3600 MHz is a good frequency.
    bf1-ram-amd-8370.png
    Source: https://gamersnexus.net/game-bench/2677-bf1-ram-benchmark-frequency-8gb-enough/page-2

The benchmark test (published on October 29th, 2017) you provided earlier doesn't mention if either of the CPUs are overclocked or not so I'm assuming they're running at stock speeds.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=62M3ICr4POE

This singleplayer benchmark test published on the 25th of December, 2017 shows that there is a difference between the 2600K and 8700K (both at 4.5GHz paired with a 1080ti) by about 25-30 FPS. Note that the benchmark is done in the singleplayer campaign mode so expect multiplayer FPS to be noticeably lower by about 30-50 FPS. Also note the RAM has a higher frequency of 2133 MHz.

Here is the important bit: Both the video I posted and the benchmark review you posted are a bit outdated. Performance has visibly degraded over the 2 years BF1 has been out due to the many updates, DLCs and new anti-cheat measures (DICE has acknowledged this in the past) meaning if you have 60 FPS now, one year ago you might have had 100 FPS or perhaps more.

At this point it is probably best for you to consider overclocking your CPU to above 4.0 GHz to squeeze a bit more performance out.

--

For reference my 1080ti back when I had an i7-7740X stock 4.3 GHz (basically a 7700K) with 16GB DDR4 2133 MHz ran the game at 120 FPS 1080p Ultra. At 1440p, it would probably drop to 90-100 FPS.
  • El_Sansdent
    Thank you for helping me ! Anyway, i exaggerate a bit, the game @60fps is very playable since my GSYNC monitor smooth the game even when i have fps drop, i'm waiting for 10nm processors from Intel for replacing my old Sandy Bridge ;)
  • Achmed5858
    48 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited January 16

Yes, generally the higher the frequency the better. Anything between 2100 MHz and 3600 MHz is a good frequency.
    bf1-ram-amd-8370.png
    Source: https://gamersnexus.net/game-bench/2677-bf1-ram-benchmark-frequency-8gb-enough/page-2

The benchmark test (published on October 29th, 2017) you provided earlier doesn't mention if either of the CPUs are overclocked or not so I'm assuming they're running at stock speeds.

This singleplayer benchmark test published on the 25th of December, 2017 shows that there is a difference between the 2600K and 8700K (both at 4.5GHz paired with a 1080ti) by about 25-30 FPS. Note that the benchmark is done in the singleplayer campaign mode so expect multiplayer FPS to be noticeably lower by about 30-50 FPS. Also note the RAM has a higher frequency of 2133 MHz.

Here is the important bit: Both the video I posted and the benchmark review you posted are a bit outdated. Performance has visibly degraded over the 2 years BF1 has been out due to the many updates, DLCs and new anti-cheat measures (DICE has acknowledged this in the past) meaning if you have 60 FPS now, one year ago you might have had 100 FPS or perhaps more.

At this point it is probably best for you to consider overclocking your CPU to above 4.0 GHz to squeeze a bit more performance out.

--

For reference my 1080ti back when I had an i7-7740X stock 4.3 GHz (basically a 7700K) with 16GB DDR4 2133 MHz ran the game at 120 FPS 1080p Ultra. At 1440p, it would probably drop to 90-100 FPS.

Renderdevice.RenderAheadlimit 3

Really he tested that with FX 8350 which had terrible IMC?!
    NOIIIICE! NOIIIIIICEEEE! OMG, gamers nexus is brainless.

Games are depended on RAM.
    1. High GB/s means better SC, better MT. Same goes for lower DRAM latency.
    2. BF1 won't scale well over 4-5T in SP, while in MP scale well up to 6-7T.

First of all, you need to change CPU/MB and RAM. All you need to take is R5 2600/DDR4 3200CL16 and decent MB. It will boost you MP performance by 50% or to the GPU bound scenario.

People might say (yes even the greatest benchmarkers on YT) that RAM is not so important to intel, but the problem here is that i7 8700K with SC 3600MHz will be slower than i7 2600K with DC 2133MHz.

GB/s is way more important for smooth and good performance while CORE to DRAM latency do give higher FPS.
    Post edited by Achmed5858 on
  • Achmed5858
    48 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Thank you for helping me ! Anyway, i exaggerate a bit, the game @60fps is very playable since my GSYNC monitor smooth the game even when i have fps drop, i'm waiting for 10nm processors from Intel for replacing my old Sandy Bridge ;)

Renderdevice.Renderaheadlimit 3
    You can also put mesh quality to high or medium for extra fps.
  • Titan_Awaken
    Achmed5858 wrote: »

bf1-ram-amd-8370.png

--

Renderdevice.RenderAheadlimit 3

Really he tested that with FX 8350 which had terrible IMC?!
    NOIIIICE! NOIIIIIICEEEE! OMG, gamers nexus is brainless.

Games are depended on RAM.
    1. High GB/s means better SC, better MT. Same goes for lower DRAM latency.
    2. BF1 won't scale well over 4-5T in SP, while in MP scale well up to 6-7T.

First of all, you need to change CPU/MB and RAM. All you need to take is R5 2600/DDR4 3200CL16 and decent MB. It will boost you MP performance by 50% or to the GPU bound scenario.

People might say (yes even the greatest benchmarkers on YT) that RAM is not so important to intel, but the problem here is that i7 8700K with SC 3600MHz will be slower than i7 2600K with DC 2133MHz.

GB/s is way more important for smooth and good performance while CORE to DRAM latency do give higher FPS.

That benchmark was the best I could personally find comparing RAM frequencies and FPS for this game. Excuse me a little, lol.

Just to be clear, I don't have any performance issues with this game (or BFV for that matter) but I appreciate your input and insights into this matter.

• JRMBelgiumTwitch
    584 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Install Lasso and try the game again ;)