1440p Upgrade Advice

CrazyDan95
1 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
edited January 12
Hi all,

I've recently picked up BF V after a long time. Really enjoyed the open Beta phase. Game runes fairly well on my current system.
Intel core i7 7700k 4.2ghz
Asus Strix H270f
16gb Corsair Vengance LP 2400mhz dual channel
Corsair CX750M PSU
GTX Asus Strix 1080ti OC
Corsair h100i v2
250gb Samsung Evo M.2
Asus 144hz 1080p monitor
Latest nvid drivers (417.35)
Windows 10 1809

I get around 65-75FPS on Ultra(multiplayer 64 player servers)..Dx11 and Dx12 seem to do nothing FPS wise both same frames. Is this about right FPS wise?

I'm just wondering being I only get just above 60fps on my current setup at 1080p.. would I be making my experience worse going to 1440p? Being a higher resolution than 1080p(logic makes me believe I would be) Have seen a few posts around saying a 1080ti is over kill for 1080p and you'd essentially be bottle-necking it.. but not being all that tech savvy not sure if this is just waffle or truth. Have heard the game likes to eats cores as well so I'm not to sure my 7700k is up to the 1440p challenge.

Edit

Well I found out Geforce Experience was automatically optimising it and setting the resolution scale at 200%.. getting way above 144fps now. Question still stands about 1440p monitor is it worth the upgrade?
Post edited by CrazyDan95 on

Comments

• mendez84
    27 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    gaming at 1440p is way better than 1080p , I honestly don't understand why people invest so much in a pc and then buy a monitor 1080p , but hey I game at 4k 60hz with my Asus rog Rtx2080 OC and I would never go less than that , hopefully 4k monitors with higher refresh rates coming out soon with better prices , but expect way less more fps at 1440p
  • StgGorman
    53 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited January 12
    since Nvidia is going to open for freesync (which makes perfect sense, since let amd have the mainstream market would be bad, also theres already a workaround to have gsync on freesync monitors (using an amd card, and some ryzens have build in gfx which can abused for that) you can very well have a 1ms, 144hz, wqhd monitor for an acceptable price. i guess "real" g-sync monitors will be still a slightly better performance, but also cost 100 bucks more in average.

theres a list which freesync monitors passed an ninternal nvidia test and will be automatically supported by gysnc on the next driver update (which comes on 15th january or something) - having said that i just bought one of these.

actually i play without any sync at all, dont have much problems with tearing anyways, since my fps actually do not exceed 144 - lol

still looking forward using gsync and see whats nvidia announcemtn is all about :)

https://www.pcgamer.com/nvidia-brings-g-sync-support-to-freesync-monitors/

so as an advice:
    IF you plan to buy a new monitor, then i would buy a 1440p (or higher depends what you plan for the far future) since the monitor is the component that lives longest, so it make so sense to buy a new monitor with 1080p. (if your budget allows that)

if you are happy with 1080p you can atm stay with it. just for the case if you plan to buy a new one, then go for the better possibilities, even if other hardware might be not up to date. but something needs to be up to date first anyways.

• absoluteone87
    13 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I see no reason you can’t game at 2k. I have a 144hz monitor at 2k with 8700 and 1070ti and I’m happy. FPS is plenty I’m not playing at ultra though. Never even tried. Maybe that would eat up some performance.

Buy one you can return if your not happy. ;)
  • Aircool_212
    754 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I'm looking to upgrade to a 1440 monitor. Trouble is, I'm used to using G-Sync monitors and fear that I'd be dissatisfied with a 1440 non G-sync monitor whilst 1440 G-Sync monitors are very expensive.

My PC is just over a year old (i5-8600K and 1070Ti) so it could handle 1440 in most games, it's just kinda hard to justify getting a slightly larger monitor (even though it would look great) for ~£500+.
  • TFBisquit
    130 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited January 12
    I have a Asus PB287Q I borrowed, and 1440p looks excellent on this size. 4K is too small though so I'm going for a 1440p monitor.
    4K monitors don't scale well at 1440p so that's why.
    As for performance, little difference between 1080p and 1440p on my pc, this is with a gtx1080.
    Mind you, my cpu keeps my fps around 100, no matter what setting, so with a modern cpu it could be a bigger difference.
    But that's in the range of around 150 fps. Would probably drop 25% @1440p.
    So, 1440p will still keep good fps.
    As for Gsync and Freesync, I'm getting the Asus MG27Q, it's on the Nvidia list for Freesync monitors that are Gsync capable. Which they will enable in the next driver update.
    ps. keep in mind that you will probably have a monitor for about 10 years. I got an old 24" from LG which still runs strong, besides the size and 6500k colour scheme that is.
    So getting a good monitor is important. 1440p seems the best of both worlds imo.
  • Bumstag1
    41 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I have a very similar setup to yours. i7 7700k @ 4.8 Ghz, 16GB 2400 Mhz RAM and an EVGA GTX 1080 TI. I game at 1440p and still enjoy it. I get well above 100 FPS, sometimes drops to 80 in tense situations (like airbourne on Rotterdam with one objective remaining on the street, literally every 64 player ganging up and throwing explosives left and right).
    The upgrade is absolutely worth it, I have an Acer Predator XB271HU 144hz 2560x1440p 27" monitor, it's IPS and has a 4ms response time. Keep in mind it also has G-sync, so the refresh rate is always the same as the FPS. I don't know if this is considered an aging monitor, but if I were you I would search for a monitor with similar specs except for the response time being 1ms. Nevertheless I still dominate nearly everyone on BF5 with this setup.
  • johnojohnson
    506 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    1440p is the go , even you drop all your video setting to low / med for FPS boost the game still looks awesome , crisp and easy to spot enemy , down side is 144hz or above monitor that has G-sync if you use those cards are still quite expensive , but if you have a good rig you may as well finish the build off with a good monitor , pointless having top end GPU / CPU playing in 1080p IMO
  • YourLocalPlumber
    1667 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    mendez84 wrote: »
    gaming at 1440p is way better than 1080p , I honestly don't understand why people invest so much in a pc and then buy a monitor 1080p , but hey I game at 4k 60hz with my Asus rog Rtx2080 OC and I would never go less than that , hopefully 4k monitors with higher refresh rates coming out soon with better prices , but expect way less more fps at 1440p

Because people value FPS over higher res.
  • mendez84
    27 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

I know , quantity over quality lol
  • jaggafeen
    21 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited January 12
    i7 6700k @ 4.8 ghz gigabyte z170x gaming 7 board, 16gb ddr4 3000mhz, samsung 970 pro nvme, r9 fury nitro gpu, win 10 64

bfv @ 3440 x 1440 medium settings i get minimum of 90fps in the worst locations
    i get between 90 fps to 130 fps fame is buttery smooth.
  • johnojohnson
    506 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    7700k oc 4.8ghz , 1080 gtx inno, @1440p with all setting set to low except post process -med, texture filtering - med, mesh quality - med, I get constant 144 fps ,

7700k oc 4.8ghz , 1080 gtx inno, @1440p with all setting set to low except post process -med, texture filtering - med, mesh quality - med, I get constant 144 fps , i can assure you the difference between 1080 and 1440p is huge
  • YourLocalPlumber
    1667 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    7700k oc 4.8ghz , 1080 gtx inno, @1440p with all setting set to low except post process -med, texture filtering - med, mesh quality - med, I get constant 144 fps ,

7700k oc 4.8ghz , 1080 gtx inno, @1440p with all setting set to low except post process -med, texture filtering - med, mesh quality - med, I get constant 144 fps , i can assure you the difference between 1080 and 1440p is huge

I know, I play on 1440p UW myself. Still, not everyone can afford high end system and 1440p high HZ monitor.
  • PatrioticBone
    4 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Take into account your monitor size too, 1080p isnt bad for 24" and below. A 27" is good at 1440p. If you are going bigger than that you may want 4k. It's got something to do with "Retna" or the perception of the pixels.

A high refresh rate (70+) is what makes things look better/smoother more so than resolution I think. I could never go back to FPS type online gaming on a 60hz screen, but wouldn't mind a 24"/144hz/1080p at all if it was necessary for some reason.
  • OskooI_007
    200 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited January 12
    I own a Dell 24" 1440p 165hz g-sync TN monitor. It cost $400. It's definitely much clearer than 1080p. I'd never buy a 1080p monitor.

I'm using it with a GTX 1060 6GB video card and get around 100fps on low settings. Crystal clear image on low. I can see players hiding behind far away objects due to low mesh settings causing distant objects like rocks and doors to not draw-in unless you zoom with a scope.

There is some noticable inverse ghosting with this Dell monitor when using aggressive overdrive settings, but it makes the majority of the image clearer during fast motion so I live with it.

I hear OLED monitors were being shown off at CES 2019. I'd love to own an OLED monitor with 0.02ms pixel response time. I'll even risk screen burn-in to get that kind of crystal clear image during fast motion.

There was also a 240hz 1440p Lenovo TN monitor with 0.5ms pixel response, but it cost $1,000 and isn't out yet.

I'll probably buy another monitor when next gen consoles come out. Most likely a 4k Freesync monitor now that consoles have Freesync support. I'm hoping next gen consoles are my ticket out of PC gaming. Too many cheaters on PC.

Post edited by OskooI_007 on
  • Inaho_Seiryuu
    11 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Yup, it's worth the upgrade. I went from 23' 1080p to a 27' 1440p IPS monitor.

I did the upgrade mainly because i needed the extra size and higher resolution for my work (graphics designer). But i admit it's also pretty nice playing on it, i don't think i would go back to 1080p

I have a GTX 1080 paired with a 6700K and 32GB of RAM. I usually play with vsync enabled so i never had a game go below 60fps so far, i assume your 1080TI will perform even better.
  • CrazyDan95
    1 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Well thanks for all the advice you've all posted. I'm going to take a look at some monitors. I'd defo be looking at the 27" range and I'll take a look at those monitors that were listed to support freesync once they roll out the updates to the 10series. Never really looked at going to a higher resolution due to the price factor of 1440p monitors. But now they're pretty good on the pricing part and are getting better and better. Plus freesync being a bit cheaper is also a plus if it all works correctly.