Why am I so bad at this game?

11Doomsday26
46 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
I've never struggled this bad at any Battlefield game. I can't survive for 10 seconds without dying. I can't ever see the enemy players and most games start with 10 - 15 deaths before I get lucky and actually kill someone. Is it the visibility on these maps?

Comments

• ShltPlaYer
    125 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited January 15
    stallzer wrote: »
    I've never struggled this bad at any Battlefield game. I can't survive for 10 seconds without dying. I can't ever see the enemy players and most games start with 10 - 15 deaths before I get lucky and actually kill someone. Is it the visibility on these maps?

That’s definitely a big big problem in this game everything blends in and also to me the character models seem so small also.
  • CaptainHardware
    254 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Visibility is pretty bad, but you do start to get used to it.

I suggest playing operations to get used to the game and maps for starters, it's a little more controlled of a situation then conquest and you can hang back a little to learn the game and the maps one chunk at a time.

Make sure you join a full squad.

Stick to cover, if you think doing something will get you shot, well, it probably will so shift directions, if forward looks deadly, go left or right, or even backwards a little before shifting directions. Avoid silhouetting yourself on the top of high points, cause at that point your really easy to see, visibility issues be damned.

Remmeber cover does't mean 'I'm hidden completely'. It just means anything that doesn't have you standing out in the open. Even a bush that doesn't stop bullets is cover, it will make you much harder to see, and give your own eyes a chance to spot the enemy first.

This should helpfully give you a chance to live long enough to start getting used to the guns. Hard to say more without knowing what class you normally like to play.
  • StingX71
    759 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

Some player have made it an art blending in the scenery while working on their KD's. Never thought I'd say this, but the maps have too much detail. Easy for soldiers to blend in, especially with the bland colors of the uniforms.
  • MrBlahToe
    1 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Note to self: Remember to change uniforms when map changes ;)
  • SparkxxSavage
    1 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Just keep going and things will become easier!
  • AmKing_Char
    22 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

Well to be honest in some maps I face the same thing not seeing anything and nobody, some people will be toxic saying that some one is a noob but lets be honest here a lot of maps are really crowded with useless staff lots of trees and broken tanks or anything that is not needed. Some say the maps are a bit smaller than other games and I somehow feel that too because you don't really have to go far for the next objective but you might just getting started in the game. And yes player models could have been a bit bigger for example in Arras a whole field of yellow flowers are able to hide a whole body so its quite hard to see someone if you are close.

Personally and from my experience of old BF games especially BF4 which used to be in the original part of BF games I used recon and snipers every time sure it was way easier but I am not the type of sitting in the edge of the map but I actually go for the objectives. Now I will think of it twice to go for the objective because chances to quick scope or head shot someone are like 1% while on the run. Personally I hate this new type of sniping and a lot of people will disagree with that . Reason why I hate it is because I have to actually use 100% of skills and stay a bit back which is the only think that keeps me alive but sadly some times away from objectives which means less points. So you don't have to rush I think it's better to stay back and be aware of the surroundings.

Also small tip play with all classes tanks and airplanes by doing so you can actually start thinking how an assault would think or a recon or how a tank or an airplane pilot which for me its completely different . As if for shooting using the practice range will help you improve . Let's be realistic turn all the options in the practice mode to hard and try it out ! And most important have fun !
  • 11Doomsday26
    46 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Well part of my issue is that all I do is attack. I really don't care about kill to death ratios and there is usually an objective and I charge towards the objective. I understand I'll get killed more playing that style but so be it. I wish they would have never went back to allowing players to use the prone position after BFBC2 as I notice a lot of "bush / shrub prone MG42 " players. I enjoy attaching with a good squad and attacking the objectives. I don't play sniper and I've been avoiding the medic because I really stink with the Medic guns.
  • alienstout
    679 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

Do you have a girlfriend? Do you use the bathroom? Two big problems right there.
  • FantaPantz
    99 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Visibility is a blessing and a curse as it's also making it harder for the enemy to see you. OP you probably need to slow yourself down, follow some good players around and learn how they play. The maps also take some learning as the battle lines can come from different directions. It takes a lot of time in game to get better but you will get there.
  • CaptainHardware
    254 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Well part of my issue is that all I do is attack. I really don't care about kill to death ratios and there is usually an objective and I charge towards the objective.

Okay, but an attack is two elements, fire and maneuver . It sounds like you are maneuvering so aggressively you are being killed before you can fire. That will just never work. If you charge forward and die 10 times in a row the only reason that is happening is because you are franklyrefusing to learn.

You need to try more flanking routes and aim your attacks are obtaining a toehold on some kind of cover on the objective, or overlooking the objective, such as the numerous stairwells on Rotterdam or houses on Twisted Steel. If you are on Hamada, go for the elevated areas of the castle but beware the towers, they can be traps.

Basically before you charge forward, think about where you are going. And think about where you can be shot from while you do it. I want to advance to that pillar. I can be hit from left or right, our team is kinda covering the left, so okay, i will rush but I will look right... and hope for the best.

That's the path to progress in BFV.

Do not be afraid to switch tactics or avenues of approach. The enemy is adapting in real time to defend just as you are adapting your attack.
    I understand I'll get killed more playing that style but so be it. I wish they would have never went back to allowing players to use the prone position after BFBC2 as I notice a lot of "bush / shrub prone MG42 " players. I enjoy attaching with a good squad and attacking the objectives. I don't play sniper and I've been avoiding the medic because I really stink with the Medic guns.

Medics get smoke and smoke rifle grenades. If you want to charge the enemy head on then you should totally equip the smoke rifle grenade and fire those at the enemy before you charge. Try to aim the smoke directly on the enemy position or slightly behind it. If you drop the smoke short you'll mask your team from firing at the enemy, while not actually protecting yourself when you get close and emerge out of the smoke. BFV smoke is very powerful and covers a big area compared to smoke in several prior BF titles.

It silhouettes the enemy too, which really helps your team kill them. No camo in the game lets you hide against a white cloud.

I'm not a big fan of the medic guns myself, but the smoke is really damn effective, the best it has ever been in a battlefield game.

Since you are on PC I also suggest if your team is blatantly not able to advance, remind people in the chat to fire smoke! It's surprising how often a team responds to those prompts, and just 1-2 other people firing smoke turns into a lot of smoke. It doesn't matter if 29 people ignore you, if 2 start firing smoke the team will probably get on the point.

I played a shitload of BFBC2 myself, and frontal attacks where pretty damn suicidal in that game too. Do you not remember how effective the M60 and rocket spam was? I remember lots of times in Bad Company rush in which we could only get an objective by blowing it up with the mortar strikes, no advance was possible to plant the bomb because of impossible levels of crossfire. It was fun, but frankly I always wanted prone back.

Not having prone is no real advantage to the attacker, the attacker has less choice of cover and concealment. The defender can pick his spots in advance, the attacker is more dynamic, prone is more likely to save the attacker.

The MG42 and bipods on backs have issues in this game for sure, but overall its not hard to kill prone players in BFV, and a crouched or standing player can shoot accurately with every gun that is not an MMG in the game. Also prone machine guns can just as well sweep an objective attacking as defending.
  • produc3
    193 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Visibility is pretty crap man.

Missing is penalized far more.. if you were used to wide cones of spread being forgiving to your TTD and you not being squarely on target or properly tracking your target lack of spread may frustrate you.

That said, just kind of play this game like you might have BF3. TTK feels quite similar to BF3 actually, which just means you probably got too aggro during BF1 and also BF4.
  • Pelliy
    1993 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    This game kicks your **** in the beginning, but most people will adjust. The maps are terrrible in this game, but learning part of that map knowledge will improve gameplay. I recommend watching some content creators like Relaaa, xfizzer, Brokenmachine, etc those guys are all good players and You learn some great tips from them.

Relaaa is very helpful. Willing to answer any question you may have and just voluntarily willing ot share in-depth knowledge about game/gun mechanics.

https://clips.twitch.tv/HyperTacitHerbsNomNom?tt_content=player_title&tt_medium=clips_embed
  • AmKing_Char
    22 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Fun fact yesterday I was watching a video of BFV from consoles and except from the fact that the maps are pretty bad (in my opinion) it was way slower than the PC users so seeing many people running around really slow and not knowing what to do and somebody with a sniper quick scoping them from 3 meters made me feel like a pro in this game. Because on PC it feels even harder.

Really sometimes you be surprised of how good some players are but its sad that in PC it feel even more fast paced than in consoles I really missed the days in BF4 where you felt how large and open the maps are you could't even see the enemies from the other side of the map so calculating by the size I thing BFV has some pretty small and crowded maps but it doesn't feel like you are playing with 64 players it almost feel like 20. But also for some reason on PC feels even more fast paced which again this is not my cup of tea.
  • 11Doomsday26
    I think my eyes just might be too old for this edition. I seriously can't see any of the enemy 3/4 of the time. I tried playing again tonight and same results, as soon as I try and cross a street some rooftop sniper 1 shots me. Throwing in the towel.
  • Pelliy
    1993 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I think my eyes just might be too old for this edition. I seriously can't see any of the enemy 3/4 of the time. I tried playing again tonight and same results, as soon as I try and cross a street some rooftop sniper 1 shots me. Throwing in the towel.

It's going to take some time. It took me about a month time to get adjusted to this game coming from bf1 since the playstyle is slightly different.
  • FantaPantz
    99 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

A lot of this is map awareness. It takes time and experienced players know where you're going to be coming from depending on which objectives are taken. Watch some YouTube for tips on this game. It does get much better with experience.
  • DaveTheBrave_USA
    132 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    And I thought I was the only one who couldn't see the enemy! I'm very frustrated with this game. I thought it sucked and I was about to give up and throw the $90 I spent on it away. But this is all good stuff and I'll try to take this advice and press on. I wish there was spotting. I keep trying to spot like BF1. Also I'm just a casual player. I can't afford to be otherwise.
  • TapperSweden
    202 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited January 18
    There is 2 things that makes enemys hard to see in this game.
    1 you can not turn off TAA, and TAA makes the image blurry.
    2 enemys blends in very (to) well into the enviroment.

There is a solution to the first, it will add a blue tint to the game while in lobby and some small light to certain details while in game.
    You will soon forget about the small lights while in game and the better visibility is really worth it if you ask me
    Put this in a cfg file in your game directoy: WorldRender.LightTileCsPathEnable 0
    Put motion blur in game to 1% or Taa will be enabled again

Regarding your playstyle, i could play as a really agressive medic in BF 4 and substain a kd of 2+, in this game i have to play as a assaoult, but with sar, 3x scoope and rarely runing in the fronline and im doing really good.
    Post edited by TapperSweden on
  • Pelliy
    And I thought I was the only one who couldn't see the enemy! I'm very frustrated with this game. I thought it sucked and I was about to give up and throw the $90 I spent on it away. But this is all good stuff and I'll try to take this advice and press on. I wish there was spotting. I keep trying to spot like BF1. Also I'm just a casual player. I can't afford to be otherwise.

People hated the feature but I didn't have an issue with spotting.