Squad Conquest Feedback

jkoenig91
postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
I found the new Squad Conquest game mode to be a really refreshing change of pace and the overall game play in the mode to be fantastic. I enjoy the face paced and concentrated engagements. The player count feels great, the maps feel great, and limited use of vehicles feels great.

My main critique at the moment is actually matchmaking. I had a full squad of buddies, but it was impossible to match make and get all 4 of us into the game. It would put some of us into a full server and leave 1 or 2 of us stuck in a loading loop until there was space on our team - an unofficial queue. This was really frustrating and there is not a lot of player turnover at the moment (especially on winning teams), so it took a long time to get all of us into a match. The matchmaking also does not always do a good job at keeping servers full. Eventually, our server died out and then we had to go back into the broken matchmaking system.

I'd also like to take the time to offer some further ideas on matchmaking.... A lot of players like myself are really interested in opportunities and support for playing with more than just 3 of our friends in a squad of 4. A very clear argument against being to coordinate with a larger group of friends is team stacking - the ability to have a strongly organized team vs an unorganized team is not very fair nor fun. I would like to offer up an idea I had on this that may also appeal to competitive players and see if there would be enough interested to support it. None of these are new or original ideas, its just a question of whether or not it would appeal to the BF community.

Proposal:

The implementation of an 8 v 8 game mode (i.e. Squad Conquest) encourages more competitive and more organized play. It seems natural that the team of 8 should be able to coordinate fully. I think this is an opportunity where allowing players to lobby as a party of 8 could work. Now, that organized party of 8 can, and should, stomp most unorganized teams of 8. To help circumnavigate that frustration of getting crushed by an elite team, I think both teams should remain lobbied together at the end of the round and immediately go back into matchmaking, but the winning team should be matched against another winning team and the losing team should be matched against another losing team.

This could be built upon to incorporate some form of ranking or leaderboards. It would also be exciting to see how many win streaks your team could get. If there is ranked play, the initial matchmaking can use player's "competitive" rank to place them in an appropriately balanced team, ideally against a near equal team.

The pros:

Encourages more organized and competitive play

Appeals to larger parties

Winning teams are challenged

Losing teams avoid getting stuck in a losing loop

Opportunity for ranked play

New opponents each match is refreshing

The cons:

There may not be enough interest in the core battlefield community to support the game type

Matchmaking procedure between rounds adds downtime

The nature of this system means having to accept that there will be very one sided matches

Not sure how map rotation would work - perhaps bring back map voting? Or simply select a random map that neither team just played.

Comments

• mwalker84
    4 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    This game mode totally turned around my perspective on BF V. I was quite disappointed to not see it the other night. As a person that usually games with 1-3 other friends, this was the perfect mode. It can be quite frustrating to be continually shot in the back or side over and over again in a Conquest match. I feel in those game modes too its a lot of 1-2 up and down, rinse, repeat. I liked how in squad conquest you were going head to head with other people, you made some rivals within the short time span. I was a huge fan of squad deathmatch in BFBC2, where there was one vehicle, it really shaked up the dm experience for me.

Arras is by far the best map, and I found myself always wanting to play that one over and over. The other two were growing on me, but Arras stood out as a favourite in the franchise. I would like to see them add Twisted Steel into the mix as I feel it has some great potential for the mode. I miss the building to building combat from BC2.

Just my ten cents, but I feel as though without this mode I'm fading away from the game. Might seem strange to some people I guess as that's not what BF is known for, but it was really enjoyable and felt far more engaging than other modes.

Let's face it, Conquest is essentially a game of numbers. You can only do so much as one squad, where in squad conquest, a single solider can hold off an entire squad and make a real difference. Having the tanks is a nice touch too, I know a lot of people are complaining about tanks but I've found myself really enjoying the challenge of them and doing quite well once I adapted to the new mechanics and strategies.

Bottomline, bring it back in a reasonable quantity, I know server space is gold, so if the number aren't there just offer limited servers — something is better than nothing. For the record, I'm still playing the game mode on a German server, which seems to be the only global offering at the moment. That's how much I enjoy the mode, I'm willing to see my ping creep over 100. haha.
  • parkingbrake
    3202 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I enjoyed Squad Conquest, as did the folks I play with. I would like to see it return. However it would be nice if we could join as a squad, even if that meant waiting a few minutes. The OP makes some interesting suggestions, if we had rented servers they could easily be tried out, but I don't think that's going to happen. EA's new policy is one size fits all, take it or leave it. In BFV that seems to have resulted in quite a few former customers deciding to leave it. You'd think that would inspire EA to bring back rented servers, but I'll be surprised if they do so.
  • SupremeAzsoul
    332 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    .. For the love of.. IT'S NOT GONE .. Use the server browser (Advanced Search)
  • JanTwardy
    21 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I enjoyed Squad Conquest, as did the folks I play with. I would like to see it return. However it would be nice if we could join as a squad, even if that meant waiting a few minutes. The OP makes some interesting suggestions, if we had rented servers they could easily be tried out, but I don't think that's going to happen. EA's new policy is one size fits all, take it or leave it. In BFV that seems to have resulted in quite a few former customers deciding to leave it. You'd think that would inspire EA to bring back rented servers, but I'll be surprised if they do so.

I totally agree with you and think the same.

I and my clan are with BF series since the same start, BF1942 we know each other for more than 15 years. Sadly most of them already "left it".

I feel that they totally don't listen to the community.

Please remember to vote with the wallet when the release next BF.

@SupremeAzsoul it's in browser but there re no servers. Try to play it..
  • MachineHead0013
    181 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    My only critique with squad conquest is that in my opinion it is not squad conquest, but more like like two-squad domination.

When i first heard of squad conquest, i thought it would be like BF4's squad deathmatch, where each squad is it's own separate team. I think it they made "squad conquest" like the legacy squad deathmatch, and just expanded the map with more capture points, it would be more fun.

I also think a true squad variant of the conquest, domination and deathmatch would be a ton of fun.
  • BallisticPork
    18 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I love the squad conquest it is my favorite mode I will spend 100% of my gaming time in this mode