The Company Coin Problem: A friendly rant from a developer...

lAlucard
29 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
edited January 2019
I know DICE has released a "fix" to company coin. But the reality is it somehow isn't still fixed for some players like myself.
As a web developer, I'm myself, I'm more concerned about solving problems than complaining about them. So I figured I'd post a few tutorials i googled so DICE can go and fix their broken game after 3 months.... This is also intended so non-developers can understand just how easy this actually should be to fix. The netcode issues, bipod, ect were far more difficult from a technical standpoint to fix. This issue is solvable in an afternoon by an intern. Trust me, I've literally taught at a coding bootcamp...

Keep in mind they also need to up the daily from a 100 to 500 each so people because the idea of having people spend 7 days to progress a single weapon is ridiculous from any UX developer standpoint. It's beyond what UX developers call "dark patterns", its an anti-pattern...

Anyway, here you go dice.

Post edited by lAlucard on

Comments

• Foamcow
    177 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited January 2019
    Speaking as a fellow web developer, you should also be aware that you aren't in possession of all the facts. You don't know how the backend is set up, what infrastructure is in place, what the background "politics" might be, what stakeholders want, what the workload and resources are like. etc. etc.

It's simple to fix the problem in theory but without being on the inside and knowing the application/business logic inside out it's a moot suggestion. When something is already up and running with tens of thousands (or more) of active users it's not necessarily simple to "just fix it".

I know that I've worked on plenty of stuff that was handed to me as working... but wasn't. Or something that was signed off, deployed to production and then someone decided that the business logic needed to be changed. These things can take a huge effort to untangle and fix. It's even worse if the thing is already in production and your fixes are breaking changes. You need to have some way to roll over to the new system without messing everything up. And it's live. So you get 1 chance.

That's not saying the current system was well built, it plainly wasn't. I can't imagine how they coded themselves into this particular corner yet they managed it. My gut feeling is that it was intentional to prevent people being able to buy up all the content that was available before there was more available. And then they found that the plan wasn't solid and it wasn't a case of increasing a few parameters.
  • xSliver
    30 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Fellow developer as well here :smiley:
    I'm starting think that it is not only a problem with the code but also with the server configuration and communication between them.

If they outsourced the server stuff and the hosting company is awefull in what they do, it can take months to find and fix the issue.
    Unfortunatly I'm speaking from experience here :disappointed:
  • Foamcow
    177 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I just read that the game servers are on AWS so it would follow that other infrastructure is also there. Which could explain the problems and lack of Server rental programme. Nobody can figure out how to calculate the costs :smiley:
  • xSliver
    30 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited January 2019
    Foamcow wrote: »
    I just read that the game servers are on AWS so it would follow that other infrastructure is also there. Which could explain the problems and lack of Server rental programme. Nobody can figure out how to calculate the costs :smiley:
    This made me laugh :D
    Maybe one missconfigured IAM role then :cold_sweat:
  • BreezyBadger420
    15 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    He's a "UX developer". So not really a programmer. Simply an arrogant, condescending, script kiddie.
  • PDGC_sandmanNL
    204 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Foamcow wrote: »

The BLAZE back end is at several location in the world and maintained by EA it self.
    The game servers are at amazon and locations that do not have amazon nearby use i3d game servers.
  • BreezyBadger420
    15 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited January 2019
    If you would bother to read the announcements, before insulting the real developers, you would have seen this:
    https://forums.battlefield.com/en-us/discussion/177143/battlefield-v-company-coin-mission-tracking-fix-updates#latest

The servers managing cc are not the same as the game servers. The game servers have to communicate with the cc managing servers and there's probably some dropped messages going on, or you're leaving the server mid game and the game server only includes current players when it sends the cc message.
    Your "baby's first COBOL-like bs in unity" tutorials directed ar DICE come across as pretty insults.
    Post edited by BreezyBadger420 on