Why don't more people like the Behemoths?

DrkBlueXG
32 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
After going from BF5 back to BF1, I personally feel the BF5 is lacking a certain dynamic to the fights with the exclusion of the Behemoths. I found out that Behemoths are not really well liked with part of the BF community. Why is that?
I feel like they do not add that much to the outcomes of Conquest battles and are easily avoidable, but they do add another looming threat to take care of. Plus seeing the blimps, trains or ships explode is just awesome to watch.

Comments

• CS-2107
    1503 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    They aren't like in the "community" because the "community" thinks that they are nearly pro players and anything that "hands kills to noobs" (and reduces their KD) is evil. Same with Elites and bayonet charges. Oh noze! Something killed me but the enemy wasn't as 'skilled' as me! *rolls eyes*

IMHO they made BF5 for the sweaty try-hard competitive wannabes, because that's what DICE appears to think "the community" is made up of. BF1 is a fantastic compromise between skill challenge and crazy fun. BF5 has had all the fun removed and replaced with frustration so the "skilled players" can feel really hardcore by enduring it.

Anything fun is just "not Battlefield" to some...

In all seriousness, I love the behemoths. If one side is getting smashed at least they get something fun and spectacular to do while it happens.

Agreed. Even tho I would like the Behemoths more if they wouldn't be equipped with Mortars. But that's a thing between me and the mortars in general.
    Elites are actually such a good addition, as they add dynamic and more tactic to the game. They can however easily be killed with a bajonett or your weapon, as longs as you play in your optimal range
  • ronybaloney
    232 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    They aren't like in the "community" because the "community" thinks that they are nearly pro players and anything that "hands kills to noobs" (and reduces their KD) is evil. Same with Elites and bayonet charges. Oh noze! Something killed me but the enemy wasn't as 'skilled' as me! *rolls eyes*

IMHO they made BF5 for the sweaty try-hard competitive wannabes, because that's what DICE appears to think "the community" is made up of. BF1 is a fantastic compromise between skill challenge and crazy fun. BF5 has had all the fun removed and replaced with frustration so the "skilled players" can feel really hardcore by enduring it.

In all seriousness, I love the behemoths. If one side is getting smashed at least they get something fun and spectacular to do while it happens.

LOL!
    Disposalist, I always love your takes. I've been on these forums for a couple years now and just want to let you know how much I have appreciated your insights into this game. Ferdinand J. Foch was awesome too. Haven't heard from him in a long while. Thanks for all your contributions.
  • EdwinSpangler
    1578 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I absolutely loved them.. Along with spotting..
  • Pillownaut
    161 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    They are hated because they can't be YOLO 420 Blaze it NO SCOPED and because someone tried to "I'm tappin'" it and it didn't instantly die.
  • Insidious_Inc
    211 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Didn't mind them at all in Operations. Not so much in Conquest.
  • SlugSniper
    984 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Dreadnought needs a buff.

No, really. It should at least call in recon planes to contest objectives.

It also has that central turret and all of those broadside barbettes that we can't use...
  • CaptainHardware
    164 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited January 27
    The dreadnought became worthless against infantry when they introduced the flak perk. That made it possible for a guy to stand at the middle of the four shells landing and still survive. It was still sorta okay on Heligoland if it got any support against the torpedo boat spam but only because you had ships to shoot at, and it just brought back fond memories of how absurd BF1942 was.

DICE nerfed the Behemoths over and over again though, intentionally or not, with changes they made to battlefield 1 post launch. Flak perk was the biggest, anyone not using flak the whole life of specializations was insane, but increasing AT mine damage (train was extra ruined by this), the AA gun changes vs the airship, and later anti air weapons additions, the Burton made it a joke, and the tank was never that good and just got worse from the mines.

TTK 2.0 also basically buffed the stronger teams in a really bad way, this really undercut the tank, and that plus the resulting relative reduction in the effectiveness of Behemoths meant they stopped having any value for comebacks. They could let the loosing team get one flag back but that was it. Which was a real shame. BF1 was a very competitive game on a team vs team basis when it released, post launch changes reduced it to perpetual curbstomps. The playerbase shrank and never recovered until DICE made the game free a few months ago, which was of course very short lived.

BFV isn't really any better though, worse balanced game on release battlefield has ever seen, and the worst player base.

I liked the behemoths overall and I think they could have been adjusted to remain relevant, but DICE had absolutely no interest in doing so. Instead they put all their efforts into how they could make all vehicles except, for no sane reason, the bombers, terrible in BFV.
  • MogwaiWarrior
    622 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

As usual, great take.
  • CS-2107
    I just have to hope BF1 can last as long as BF4 is.

That makes two of us mate
  • TheGM86
    700 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Hey look you just held back the enemy's attack on the first sector, time to fight a giant blimp you have no way to shot down without cheesing the game and getting on a out of bounds AA Gun unless you want to get killed farmed.
    Alternatively, Hey look your teams is bad enough that they had to call in the Behemoth, now you have even less people playing the game since they are all packed in there. you better hope the guy piloting isn't a mindlet, but you know he is.
    Such a great game mechanic.
  • MarxistDictator
    4477 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Yeah in Conquest they are boring and honestly do nothing, on some maps by the time they actually arrive there's only like 100 tickets of behemoth to suffer through and everyone is so spread out it has even less impact.

In operations a lot of maps don't let you counter the behemoths properly as defense, which leads to you getting farmed over and over and unable to do much. The mode also forces you to play in a smaller zone, where dreadnoughts and airships can literally farm you as you spawn in.

Yep, you have to be a really sweaty tryhard to not enjoy getting killed by the gunner in the dreadnought on cape helles for the 30th time when he's 100 kills up on the board and its only the 2nd battalion. I've literally seen someone go 190-0 on that map just sitting in the guns its completely broken.

Behemoths suck.
  • SlugSniper
    984 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Behemoths add an extra layer to the setting. They don't "suck," and you can snipe people out of the gondolas of an airship pretty easily.

I rest my case about the Dreadnought, though. If we could at least use those broadside barbettes and call in recon planes, it might actually be used to bolster the team's efforts instead of just farming kills from the edge of the map.
  • CS-2107
    Yeah in Conquest they are boring and honestly do nothing, on some maps by the time they actually arrive there's only like 100 tickets of behemoth to suffer through and everyone is so spread out it has even less impact.

In operations a lot of maps don't let you counter the behemoths properly as defense, which leads to you getting farmed over and over and unable to do much. The mode also forces you to play in a smaller zone, where dreadnoughts and airships can literally farm you as you spawn in.

Yep, you have to be a really sweaty tryhard to not enjoy getting killed by the gunner in the dreadnought on cape helles for the 30th time when he's 100 kills up on the board and its only the 2nd battalion. I've literally seen someone go 190-0 on that map just sitting in the guns its completely broken.

Behemoths suck.

Yeah, the ship is pretty annoying. Esspecially on Cape Helles.
  • Danz_RS
    502 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    *blushes* Thanks for the kind words. I was actually a little 'miffed' when I wrote that comment, so it may seem a little harsh, but I stand by it.

DICE appear to think that everyone aspires to sweat bullets and grow their epeen when they play. Not me. I want a challenge, but I want to have fun.

I'm sorry but it won't.

Second to bfstats.com, both have almost the same number of players across all platforms at anytime. At peak times the difference is only 2 or 3k players, and BF4 is 3 years older, all due to better RSP implementation.

It won't survive another year and will probably fade away like hardline.
  • disposalist
    8067 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Danz_RS wrote: »
    *blushes* Thanks for the kind words. I was actually a little 'miffed' when I wrote that comment, so it may seem a little harsh, but I stand by it.

DICE appear to think that everyone aspires to sweat bullets and grow their epeen when they play. Not me. I want a challenge, but I want to have fun.

I'm sorry but it won't.

Second to bfstats.com, both have almost the same number of players across all platforms at anytime. At peak times the difference is only 2 or 3k players, and BF4 is 3 years older, all due to better RSP implementation.

It won't survive another year and will probably fade away like hardline.
    Lol BF1 is not like Hardline.
  • EdwinSpangler
    1578 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Hardline.

Thought we didnt talk about certain things around here..

jkjk

• JRMBelgiumTwitch
    658 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

This x10 :)
  • Pelliy
    1703 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Because it's a trashy gimmick. I prefer the replacement of the vrocket and squased based reinforcements instead.