Whats the secret to hip fire?

Elprez11
30 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
Using the Bren gun mostly in prone and aiming down the sight but sometimes use it hip firing. the cross hairs are fairly wide apart but I put the other player in the middle the best I can. I seldom get kills with only a few random hits. I see other players have good success with hip fire mode. Is there a secret with lining up the cross hairs in hip fire mode?

Comments

• Carbonic
    1214 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    The spray pattern of each gun is different. Those who are really good know this spraypattern and can compensate when shooting to avoid bullet spread.
  • BobNoxiousUSA
    268 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    how about you put a sticker in the center of your screen, align the enemy to that spot, and press fire.
  • NamelessForNow
    1429 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    how about you put a sticker in the center of your screen, align the enemy to that spot, and press fire.

Who took the jam out of your donut?
  • -aarp-19Crib
    713 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I suspect they alter the hit box depending on gun characteristics - sights, etc. For hip (or any other), the hit box is more like a Lava Lamp depending on ping, lag, and general vagaries in the game, so you have to sweep across the head to put as many bullets into the hit box as possible. Remember: you are shooting hit boxes which are invisible to you.

• MachoFantast1c0
    2015 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Carbonic wrote: »
    The spray pattern of each gun is different. Those who are really good know this spraypattern and can compensate when shooting to avoid bullet spread.

I'm fairly certain the spread component is totally random. Bren has really poor hipfire spread, which worsens if you move whilst firing. So even if your screen center is dead on, some of your shots are still likely to miss.

However, I suspect you fail to keep the wide hipfire reticle centered on the target; I know I have trouble with it. Unless you've perfectly internalized screen center, an external crosshair would be needed. Some people use overlays for this purpose, but I consider it cheating.

I recommend switching to a weapon that has hipfire perks available, if you want to be able to rely on it. I do this for pretty much all weapons.
  • ParallelNative
    10 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Stand in front of a wall and hip fire, try moving your mouse at certain angles and see if you can find a constant pattern over time.
    for me at least this is how I find little consistencies.
    some weapons such as the Bren, well it's not really meant for hip firing but can be achieved. I'll just go for the point-blank shot with that one.

• Paintpro_12
    55 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I don’t hip fire anything besides the gewehr1-5 in assault class... gun is a beast even without specing into it...
  • StingX71
    812 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    LMG's are the worst when it comes to hip fire. SMG's a not half bad especially short range. I noticed my close quarter combat wins went up substantially when I trained myself to not ads the smg's close up.
  • DaHenner
    24 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    If you consider LMGs worst then you never tried to hipfire the MG42 though it works if your opponent is close enough.
    However stabbing him might be faster then :)
  • Major_Pungspark
    1391 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    StingX71 wrote: »
    LMG's are the worst when it comes to hip fire. SMG's a not half bad especially short range. I noticed my close quarter combat wins went up substantially when I trained myself to not ads the smg's close up.

Have you tried hipfire a recon slr? You can be sitting still three meters away from someone and it still misses....
  • stabbinhobo
    581 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Just need to try it with each spec tree in game... there is no real secret. Some weapons better than others for it.

IMHO hipfire (or more accurately.. not aiming) is the downfall of these game. It should not even be a thing. If you hipfire there should be a 80-90% accuracy penalty on all guns just like running and jumping. Hipfire just reinforces crap play...
  • TFBisquit
    1358 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Imo hipfiring works better without thinking or aiming. Just pointing in the general direction, the weapon, or should I say game, will do the rest.
  • enek0id
    263 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    TFBisquit wrote: »
    Imo hipfiring works better without thinking or aiming. Just pointing in the general direction, the weapon, or should I say game, will do the rest.

LOL no, it's not Wolfenstein 3D.
    BTW The KE7 is pretty good with hipfire.
  • TFBisquit
    1358 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Well, where do you think the adad complaints come from? It’s pure luck and the specializations tree. In that sense it is wolfenstein. No brain needed to hipfire.
  • Vinicarioca
    230 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Emp with hipfire and you can kill a entire squad with 1 mag.

Mp34 is the worse medic gun to this... and still pretty good.

Bren hipfire? Never tried.

• s0ldadofumad0
    19 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Well medic guns are smg's that must be used from short distances, so medic guns are expected to be good at hip firing. It's fair.
  • Niick1402
    76 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Just need to try it with each spec tree in game... there is no real secret. Some weapons better than others for it.

IMHO hipfire (or more accurately.. not aiming) is the downfall of these game. It should not even be a thing. If you hipfire there should be a 80-90% accuracy penalty on all guns just like running and jumping. Hipfire just reinforces crap play...

i couldn't agree more. It just takes away skill.
  • Dynamyte71
    216 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Hip fire generally happens out of necessity with the two biggest variables being time and vision. Sometimes you can’t sacrifice the time that ADS takes and sometimes when you have multiple threats you are trying to keep them in your FOV.
    I have close to 1000 hours in on BF4, BF1 and BFV. Usually guns designed for CQB have pretty good hip fire attributes. Pretty impressed with the M1928A1 so far in this game. Let’s face it some of the short barreled weapons, combined with recoil are not giving up a lot in accuracy from ads to hip fire.
  • Leuthispar
    4 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    As someone who has done a few of the hipfire assignments I would say the following:

1. Obvious but still the most important, the further you are from target the more you have to burst. i.e. within 2 feet go full auto, or turbo click a semi-auto to your heart's content. At 5 feet I'd say about 4-5 round bursts, at 10 feet, about 3-4 round bursts, and about 15 feet 2-3 round bursts, further away and I don't bother shooting them from hip.

2. Use terrain/smoke(smoke nades and smoke rifle nades if medic) as much as possible to get up close and personal, allowing you to go full auto/turbo click.

3. Try to sneak around/flank enemies. When you see 10 friendlies vs 10 hostiles in a meatgrinder take the extra 30 seconds and go around and flank them.

4. Just because you are trying to do a hipfire assignment doesn't mean you cant get a kill or two with aimed. For example, in the above scenario, I am going around to flank and I see one hostile covering the rear down a long alley at like 30 feet, I will aim fire to kill him and then rush in throw smoke in the middle of them or hug the walls/columns and hipfire.

5. As deduced from my above scenarious, medic i believe is the best class to hipfire because of the self-heal and smoke, going in close like that means u will usually take some damage. Unless you have a good squad and medic trailing behind you.