Footsteps gone again???

T4iNoTiT4N
37 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
WTH happened to footsteps in this game?? They fixed them only to eff them up again?

Comments

• TNA_SneakyMonkey
    516 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    You could hear people on the bridge at B while taking a dip in the river on Twisted Steel. The patchnotes indicate the volume of footsteps was reduced by about 25%.
  • DigitalHype
    552 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Footsteps are fine. I never knew what all the fuss was about. I sometimes wonder if this is a side effect of people using surround mix on stereo channel devices. Win10 will often set device output to 7.1 or 5.1 isntead of 2.0 or 2.1. And maybe BFV with its new in-house audio mixing is only outputing to surround channels, which then are silent due to misconfig.
  • jaifro
    49 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I miss the footsteps from last patch. They were like having cheats xD Could literally pinpoint people running behind walls!
  • Jezzzeh
    557 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I think they have found the correct level now personally. I use the 3d headphones option in audio and they have always been audible. Last patch was a little louder than necessary so this change is welcome for my money.
  • xxxCoOlBr33zExxx
    3838 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    Jezzzeh wrote: »
    I think they have found the correct level now personally. I use the 3d headphones option in audio and they have always been audible. Last patch was a little louder than necessary so this change is welcome for my money.

yea I totally agree.

-CB
  • CSO7777
    925 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I'm having issues as well. Footsteps are very low/missing most of the time, and it feels like before the patch.

I have tried 3D headphones, Wartapes and it makes almost no difference (wartapes is a little better, but sound so bad in general), the issue with footsteps are back for me as well.
  • xxxCoOlBr33zExxx
    3838 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    The footstep sounds are also based on distance meaning the further they are away from the less likely you'll hear them. I'm pretty sure the patch notes give details on that just not sure off hand what the exact specifics are.

-CB
  • CSO7777
    925 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 3
    The footstep sounds are also based on distance meaning the further they are away from the less likely you'll hear them. I'm pretty sure the patch notes give details on that just not sure off hand what the exact specifics are.

-CB
    People can come running behing me and not be heard until they are right behind me, say less than 5 meters. Often I cannot hear them at all.

Even my own footsteps are almost silent now no matter what surface I run on.

For me it seems like the sound is bugged and footsteps are turned way down compared to other sounds in the game.
  • jasonvp
    163 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 4
    Deleted. Double post!
    Post edited by jasonvp on
  • LeesSummit09
    337 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I am on PS4 and tonight I notice I am being rushed from behind again, with no sound. Since no update, don't know how that could happen, but yesterday it was fine.
  • nevercrywolf77
    3 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I am on PS4 and tonight I notice I am being rushed from behind again, with no sound. Since no update, don't know how that could happen, but yesterday it was fine.

This. It was fine after the last patch but something changed. Again.
  • CaptainHardware
    220 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Footsteps in the pastch before most recent were so loud it was just confusing. They aren't terrible now. At least if I hear an enemy it's someone close, not someone 25 meters and several different walls away.

What remains a problem is tanks being absolutely silent even at point blank ranges, and if more then a couple enemy sounds are present often they blank each other out or become entirely silent. This might be a net code problem more then strictly a sound problem, but either way it's a major problem present since launch and that wasn't a problem at all in BF1.
  • UziSuicide100
    15 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Footsteps are now fine.
  • Major_Pungspark
    1348 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I think they are a tad loud but much better than before, they tuned them up to insane levels before, and also people in tanks seem to hear footsteps, but I barely hear the tank.....;o)
  • ATF_lateDENT
    300 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Prior to the latest patch, the footstep sounds were so loud as to be both useless and distracting. A constant audio barrage of people stomping around the map no matter how close they are to you is neither realistic, nor pleasing, nor helpful. Footsteps were so loud that they made more noise than tanks. How could anyone want that back.

Maybe Dice could put a slider for 'Footstep Volume' in the Audio menu so that you foot fetishists can get what you need. For the rest of us, leave footsteps alone and work on fixing the other broken things.
  • Lahoo_Eckbert
    1027 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Yeah can't hear them either. Constantly getting flanked and getting killed off by campers.
  • CSO7777
    jasonvp wrote: »
    Note: I'm re-posting this because I tried to edit my previous copy and it got deleted for some reason. So if this appears twice, I apologize!!

Respectfully to the folks that say, "The footsteps are fine," I say: I'm pretty sure you don't realize that you're missing what you're missing. Simply because you're not hearing it. Ultimately I do NOT believe the audio issue with Battlefield V is a "volume" thing. I think it's a "priority" thing. I wish I could discuss this with the audio engineers at Dice, but I realize the chances of that are basically zilch. Either way, I don't believe that having them adjust the footstep volume is the correct thing to do. Instead, I think they need to look at how sounds are prioritized before they're sent to your DSP. Let me 'splain.

Ultimately, we can't hear everything in the game. If we did, we'd have an audio mush coming through the drivers in our headphones pretty much from the word "Go" in the game. It would be deafeningly loud and completely incomprehensible to our brains. Therefore, devs need to prioritize what sounds get put on the wire and what sounds don't. The sounds that don't are "ducked".

Imagine a DJ on your favorite radio station (you still listen to the RADIO? I don't...) just as a song is ending. He decides to ruin the end of the song by talking over it, and to make sure you hear it, he "ducks" the song. In other words: he turns it down a little, or the station's computer automatically does it for him. That's audio ducking, in a very basic nutshell. One sound (his voice) is being prioritized over another sound (the end of the song).

What I feel is going on here is that the wrong sounds are being ducked in favor of other sounds that we might not need to hear as clearly at a given time. That screaming Stucka you hear overhead? Pretty cool, huh? Oh, wait a second: it's not actually right overhead, it's overhead on the other side of the map. Why are you hearing that? You're hearing that because it's cool. But it's also causing the other sounds that are a lot closer to you to be ducked. Like, say: footsteps! Or tank engines.

What I think we need is for the Dice devs to go back and figure out what's being prioritized within the "head" of each soldier as far as sounds he or she should hear, and what they shouldn't hear. Or what they should hear loudly vs what they should probably hear with less intensity. Ultimately, I think that's the fix. Not diddling with "footstep volume" across the board. To me, that adjustment is almost akin to the December, "Hey, we're going to fix the TTD by putting a .85 damage multiplier on all the gunz, yo!" It's too much of a wet-blanket approach, and I think some more careful work needs to be done there.

For the sake of any Dice dev that may be reading this (I know: fat chance!) - here's what I'm using for audio equipment:
    • My ears! For some reason, at the "ripe old" age of 45, I can still hear very high frequencies. Ones I shouldn't be able to hear any longer. So if it can be heard, I can hear it. If I can't be heard... I might be able to hear it. ;-)
    • Sound Blaster ZxR discrete audio card. I'm connecting the RCA stereo line out to my:
    • Mackie DL32R mixer ... I also have the mixer connected directly to the PC via USB. Doing this provides my PC with 16 additional stereo sound cards. I'll get to that in a moment.
    • Sennheiser HDV820 headphone amp
    • Sennheiser HD820 headphones
    • PC is running Windows 10

My testing methodology:
    1. Configure the Sound Blaster to provide virtual surround audio (via hardware) to a stereo output. Creative does this flawlessly and audio location is faultless, assuming the sound is played! In game, set the sound to "Surround" and "Headphones" (Not "3D Headphones"!) I can track targets via audio with this pretty easily, again: assuming the sound is even played. Sometimes it just isn't.
    2. Configure the Sound Blaster to just send a stereo (R/L) output. In game, "3D Headphones" to let the game's software handle the location for me. Again: it's quite good, though not quite as good as Creative's, IMHO. Still: I can track players via audio assuming the audio isn't being ducked by something else.
    3. Configure one of the 16 USB sound cards from the mixer as my primary audio output. Then purchase and add the Dolby ATMOS audio plugin to provide Spacial Sound with "7,1" enabled. In game, "Surround" and "Headphones". This solution is a better software-only one than using the game's "3D Headphones" IMHO. Clear locational audio when the audio is being played.

In all cases, as noted: sometimes sounds are played, other times they're just not. It's not that I can't hear them because of some bad setting or bad hardware (or lack of attention), it's just that they're simply not played. And yes, I've verified by recording the game and validating that I wasn't ignorant and somehow missed the footstep sounds. They just weren't there.

Summary
    If you made it this far: thanks! As stated, I don't really think we need the Dice devs to make any further volume adjustments to things. Instead, I suspect they need to go through and perhaps re-prioritize what's being sent to each player's sound system vs what is being ducked. I'll bet they'd find that, perhaps, they over-did the priority on certain things (to show off, maybe?) and they may need to dial that back a bit.
    I think you've made a very good post.

I'm having the same issues, sounds are missing.

My favorite is putting dynamite on a building and then running away from it. When you detonate the dynamite behind you, you sometimes doesn't hear anything at all or sometimes even the building crumbling, but the explosion is not there at all.

You should submit your post to the EA-bug-tracker:
    https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/bd-p/battlefield-v-bug-reports-en
  • MachoFantast1c0
    1835 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    CSO7777 wrote: »
    jasonvp wrote: »
    Note: I'm re-posting this because I tried to edit my previous copy and it got deleted for some reason. So if this appears twice, I apologize!!

Respectfully to the folks that say, "The footsteps are fine," I say: I'm pretty sure you don't realize that you're missing what you're missing. Simply because you're not hearing it. Ultimately I do NOT believe the audio issue with Battlefield V is a "volume" thing. I think it's a "priority" thing. I wish I could discuss this with the audio engineers at Dice, but I realize the chances of that are basically zilch. Either way, I don't believe that having them adjust the footstep volume is the correct thing to do. Instead, I think they need to look at how sounds are prioritized before they're sent to your DSP. Let me 'splain.

Ultimately, we can't hear everything in the game. If we did, we'd have an audio mush coming through the drivers in our headphones pretty much from the word "Go" in the game. It would be deafeningly loud and completely incomprehensible to our brains. Therefore, devs need to prioritize what sounds get put on the wire and what sounds don't. The sounds that don't are "ducked".

Imagine a DJ on your favorite radio station (you still listen to the RADIO? I don't...) just as a song is ending. He decides to ruin the end of the song by talking over it, and to make sure you hear it, he "ducks" the song. In other words: he turns it down a little, or the station's computer automatically does it for him. That's audio ducking, in a very basic nutshell. One sound (his voice) is being prioritized over another sound (the end of the song).

What I feel is going on here is that the wrong sounds are being ducked in favor of other sounds that we might not need to hear as clearly at a given time. That screaming Stucka you hear overhead? Pretty cool, huh? Oh, wait a second: it's not actually right overhead, it's overhead on the other side of the map. Why are you hearing that? You're hearing that because it's cool. But it's also causing the other sounds that are a lot closer to you to be ducked. Like, say: footsteps! Or tank engines.

What I think we need is for the Dice devs to go back and figure out what's being prioritized within the "head" of each soldier as far as sounds he or she should hear, and what they shouldn't hear. Or what they should hear loudly vs what they should probably hear with less intensity. Ultimately, I think that's the fix. Not diddling with "footstep volume" across the board. To me, that adjustment is almost akin to the December, "Hey, we're going to fix the TTD by putting a .85 damage multiplier on all the gunz, yo!" It's too much of a wet-blanket approach, and I think some more careful work needs to be done there.

For the sake of any Dice dev that may be reading this (I know: fat chance!) - here's what I'm using for audio equipment:
    • My ears! For some reason, at the "ripe old" age of 45, I can still hear very high frequencies. Ones I shouldn't be able to hear any longer. So if it can be heard, I can hear it. If I can't be heard... I might be able to hear it. ;-)
    • Sound Blaster ZxR discrete audio card. I'm connecting the RCA stereo line out to my:
    • Mackie DL32R mixer ... I also have the mixer connected directly to the PC via USB. Doing this provides my PC with 16 additional stereo sound cards. I'll get to that in a moment.
    • Sennheiser HDV820 headphone amp
    • Sennheiser HD820 headphones
    • PC is running Windows 10

My testing methodology:
    1. Configure the Sound Blaster to provide virtual surround audio (via hardware) to a stereo output. Creative does this flawlessly and audio location is faultless, assuming the sound is played! In game, set the sound to "Surround" and "Headphones" (Not "3D Headphones"!) I can track targets via audio with this pretty easily, again: assuming the sound is even played. Sometimes it just isn't.
    2. Configure the Sound Blaster to just send a stereo (R/L) output. In game, "3D Headphones" to let the game's software handle the location for me. Again: it's quite good, though not quite as good as Creative's, IMHO. Still: I can track players via audio assuming the audio isn't being ducked by something else.
    3. Configure one of the 16 USB sound cards from the mixer as my primary audio output. Then purchase and add the Dolby ATMOS audio plugin to provide Spacial Sound with "7,1" enabled. In game, "Surround" and "Headphones". This solution is a better software-only one than using the game's "3D Headphones" IMHO. Clear locational audio when the audio is being played.

In all cases, as noted: sometimes sounds are played, other times they're just not. It's not that I can't hear them because of some bad setting or bad hardware (or lack of attention), it's just that they're simply not played. And yes, I've verified by recording the game and validating that I wasn't ignorant and somehow missed the footstep sounds. They just weren't there.

Summary
    If you made it this far: thanks! As stated, I don't really think we need the Dice devs to make any further volume adjustments to things. Instead, I suspect they need to go through and perhaps re-prioritize what's being sent to each player's sound system vs what is being ducked. I'll bet they'd find that, perhaps, they over-did the priority on certain things (to show off, maybe?) and they may need to dial that back a bit.
    I think you've made a very good post.

I'm having the same issues, sounds are missing.

My favorite is putting dynamite on a building and then running away from it. When you detonate the dynamite behind you, you sometimes doesn't hear anything at all or sometimes even the building crumbling, but the explosion is not there at all.

You should submit your post to the EA-bug-tracker:
    https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/bd-p/battlefield-v-bug-reports-en

Yep, my experiences are totally similar. Some sounds are just never played.
  • Fw-JPhysics
    629 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Yeah there are moments when sounds are not being played, enemy footsteps being an important one. We all agree that when the game was released enemy footsteps at times where completely absent, followed later by a patch which would over amplify sounds to the point that all footsteps within audible range was received by the player at the same high level volume.
    The January patch was meant to address that, patch notes stated:
    • The volume attenuation of third-person footsteps over distance has been increased. It is now at a point between the original shipped value and the previous update. At 25m from the player, the footstep volume will now drop to 28% (11dB drop) of the volume heard when compared to someone next to the player. This compares with a previous update value of 71% (3dB drop), and an original shipped value of 10% (20dB drop).
    What I've experienced (like some of you here too) is that there are occasions when no sound is heard at all (eg footsteps or explosions). Pretty good summery by jasonvp btw.