Footsteps gone again???

2»

Comments

• Kompura
    206 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I think the footstep sound is about correct level now. I can hear people getting closer and not surprising me. Those who thinks steps are not loud enough, are you sure that people are not crouching meaning that their footsteps are quite silent? Also there might be issues with different audio equipment? I'm using headphones with wartapes setting and all is good.
  • cso7777
    826 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Kompura wrote: »
    I think the footstep sound is about correct level now. I can hear people getting closer and not surprising me. Those who thinks steps are not loud enough, are you sure that people are not crouching meaning that their footsteps are quite silent? Also there might be issues with different audio equipment? I'm using headphones with wartapes setting and all is good.
    I have tested internal motherboard audio as well as my dac and the issues are the same (but not the sound quality). I've also tried Windows Sonic, normal stereo and In-game 3D-headphones. In general Windows sounds are done in software and then played by the sound-card, normally only sound-quality varies between sound-cards (unless some driver-error is at play).

Wartapes sounds awful IMHO, very compressed, but it makes me able to hear some footsteps (still not very loud).

If I use the headphones setup the "missing sound" issue seems to be less pronounced. Especially sounds coming from behind are more often missing on the other settings. Unfortunately the footsteps make almost no sound using 'headphones'-setting, so it's a compromise. Do I wan't to (sometimes) hear footsteps I use Wartapes, do I wan't to hear vehicles, gun-fire etc behind me it's the headphones setting that is best.

But no matter what setting I use, I often have soundeffects not being played at all.
  • TFBisquit
    416 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I don't hear footsteps anymore now. Not that I care, but at first I could hear them occasionally, and after the patch it was overwhelming.
    Now it's gone.
  • CristophrWalken
    41 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    IMO - I think they dropped the level of footsteps too low again. It's hard not to compare to the directional audio in Battlefield 1, which was much better. I use a 7.1 system and my rear speakers rarely produce any sound. Sometimes a loud explosion or vehicle, and sometimes footsteps, but its hit and miss. NOT consistent! BF1 sound balance was some of the most impressive I've heard, despite what anyone thinks of the gameplay.
  • DrunkOnRedWine
    426 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Footsteps are still not right. Changing the volume and distance on footsteps isn't corrective action as the issue is you can hear some footsteps but not others.
  • cso7777
    826 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 6
    I've experimented some more.

I got the free trial for 'Dolby Atmos for headphones' (Windows store) and must say that using 'surround' and 'Large speakers' or 'Headphones' gives me the best sound so far. The sound-quality is just really impressive, with very good positioning (best I've ever heard from headphones) and less problems with missing sounds. It's still not perfect and footsteps are still an issue, but footsteps are as "good" as Wartapes but with fantastic soundquality instead of the compressed sound of Wartapes. The 'immersion'-factor just really goes up by a large margin.

I'm pretty sure I will buy Atmos when the 30 day trial expires and hopes that Dice will fix the missing sound-effect-problem pretty soon.
  • jasonvp
    137 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    cso7777 wrote: »
    must say that using 'surround' and 'Large speakers' or 'Headphones' gives me the best sound so far.

I found the "Speaker" setting to be too punchy and loud in places it didn't need to be. "Headphones" seemed to be just right.
  • Corrupt_be
    213 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Footsteps are fine. I never knew what all the fuss was about. I sometimes wonder if this is a side effect of people using surround mix on stereo channel devices. Win10 will often set device output to 7.1 or 5.1 isntead of 2.0 or 2.1. And maybe BFV with its new in-house audio mixing is only outputing to surround channels, which then are silent due to misconfig.

It never got resolved (the actual problem), not even when they were crazy loud.

The issue being: "Sometimes, footsteps just don't seem to render/play at all when they should".

When I hear them I have no issue hearing them, but compared to BF1/4/3 there's a lot of instances where I would've heard footsteps in those games and not in this game. Something just feels "off".
  • Vents7
    7 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 12
    At launch i could hear enemy footsteps outside of 15 metres but within 15, nothing After the initial audio patch it was for me 100% fixed. other people were saying it was too loud ( i have no reason not to believe them) but for me they were working perfectly. then after the second patch they are now worse than they ever have been, i can barely hear myself, my teams mates and i for sure can not hear the enemy footsteps. some great "fix" that was. good job ... *slow clap*. im at the point now where i would be happy if they added sub titles to tell me when there are footsteps. or a guy in the corner of the screen doing sign language warning me of footsteps.
  • tamatem13
    132 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    OMG... Footsteps are seriously rubbish now.
    Was in a side area on Rotterdam (action was on B flag). Was there for a while, then out of the blue 3 guys (yes, 3) were behind me (as in 1 meter).
    Not a single footsteps.
    Have been experiencing this too many times in different situations to think it is just me not noticing or whatever.

I hope Dice raise the footsteps volume up...this is ridiculous
  • WILDSC0RPI0N
    48 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I will never understand why DICE in every new title mess up something that was working good in previous titles, while some eight years old bugs from bf series are still not addressed? What was wrong with footsteps in bf1? Nothing!! So why change that???? Why they cant implement sounds from bf1 again????
  • kondorasGR
    71 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    yup footsteps are **** again,devastation is the map that i have the most issues,sometimes people running next to me and the sound is very low,dying from behind without being able to hear a thing is unfair,gg DICE
  • SwolasaurusFlex
    40 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Corrupt_be wrote: »
    Footsteps are fine. I never knew what all the fuss was about. I sometimes wonder if this is a side effect of people using surround mix on stereo channel devices. Win10 will often set device output to 7.1 or 5.1 isntead of 2.0 or 2.1. And maybe BFV with its new in-house audio mixing is only outputing to surround channels, which then are silent due to misconfig.

The issue being: "Sometimes, footsteps just don't seem to render/play at all when they should".

When I hear them I have no issue hearing them, but compared to BF1/4/3 there's a lot of instances where I would've heard footsteps in those games and not in this game. Something just feels "off".

This is the problem, it's not that it isn't loud or quiet, it's the fact the sounds just don't actively play when they are supposed to, leading to really weird moments where you hear nothing from people running up behind you. What's even more strange is after you die, it seems to play footsteps just fine for both teams... sometimes. The game still needs tons of work, and I doubt it'll ever be at a playable stage. Hell the Ammo boxes still fall through solid ground, I highly doubt we'll get a working fix for the sound issue.
  • kondorasGR
    71 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Corrupt_be wrote: »

This is the problem, it's not that it isn't loud or quiet, it's the fact the sounds just don't actively play when they are supposed to, leading to really weird moments where you hear nothing from people running up behind you. What's even more strange is after you die, it seems to play footsteps just fine for both teams... sometimes. The game still needs tons of work, and I doubt it'll ever be at a playable stage. Hell the Ammo boxes still fall through solid ground, I highly doubt we'll get a working fix for the sound issue.

sad but true
  • BlindChance
    331 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    They lowered their volume. BF has a lot of background noise, which made footsteps sounds almost useless again. I before this change I actually enjoyed the game far more as I had another source of information about the environment around me. I had no problem it required from me to verify the sound with minimap information about my team mates to figure it out if these are enemies or not. It added another player based skill factor and...DICE removed it. Sad, as now due to the level of audio noise in the game we are back to getting randomly jumped even if you use your map knowledge to move around.
  • WILDSC0RPI0N
    48 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    They lowered their volume. BF has a lot of background noise, which made footsteps sounds almost useless again. I before this change I actually enjoyed the game far more as I had another source of information about the environment around me. I had no problem it required from me to verify the sound with minimap information about my team mates to figure it out if these are enemies or not. It added another player based skill factor and...DICE removed it. Sad, as now due to the level of audio noise in the game we are back to getting randomly jumped even if you use your map knowledge to move around.

Agree. Before last patch footsteps was load and you could hear enemy from far away but enemy could hear you too so it was even ground. Now this is paradise for wallhacking scum again
  • BlindChance
    331 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 13

Agree. Before last patch footsteps was load and you could hear enemy from far away but enemy could hear you too so it was even ground. Now this is paradise for wallhacking scum again

Cheating is another thing, but it jut turn the game back to its skilless, random self. This isn't Counter Strike with only few lanes you can be attacked from, here you can be attacked from any angle, especially in conquest games and from long distances. Not to mention that CS does footsteps far better, has different sound for differrent surfaces, actions.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=f8LqerexQng
  • Dynamyte71
    189 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 13
    I hope they continue to work on all the sound issues.
    Had a panzer on Rotterdam roaming around blasting its guns. The guns themselves made no sound from the reference point of the tank. The bullets however reacting with the surface they were hitting did. Really hard to draw a bead on 3D positional source this way.
    Post edited by Dynamyte71 on
  • Lahoo_Eckbert
    1004 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Damn, didn't see anything sound related as I was skimming through the patch notes. I hope they do something about footstep sound. Tired of getting flanked all the time.