This Week in Battlefield V

Will DICE make Firestorm...

1984rage
40 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
Will Dice in their Firestorm release pay any homage to the victims of the firestorms unleashed upon German civilians. To have seen their take on history in the rest of Battlefield V I'm worried it will be lacking in content and historical accuracy. This Firestorm Update could open up for Dice to highlight and to honor some lesser known history. After all that seem to have been one of their goals. I only hope their take on it will not be another revison of history. I'm certain DICE can make a powerful experience yet hold true to history too if they choose to. I would love a singleplayer war story trying to deliver a glimpse of the drama which must have taking place there.

Article.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/03/21/the-firebombing-of-dresden-archive-footage/

Here is a video depicting a fraction of the horror and severity of the allied firebombings, AKA Terrorbombings.

91a3hGv0XbL.jpg

Comments

• InnerD
    878 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 5
    doubt it, dice isn't making firestorm.
  • suffice_ls
    491 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Criterion are making it and the pressure is after what launched today!
  • 1984rage
    40 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 5
    Oh, so DICE will take their hands off? Oh, well. I hope they start to inject real history in to the coming content anyhow. The real history, the true stories are the most epic.
  • gherkin12
    8 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Well if thats the case you'd have to open a while can of history. It wasn't the allies that drop incendiary bombs the Axis did as well.

Unfortunately war is war and because of accuracy issues back then the most effective way was carpet bombing. Dresden's issue (possibly along with Hamburg) was that alot of the buildings were of wooden structure and closely packed. Not defending it by all means but both sides were at it.

https://www.iwm.org.uk/history/the-blitz-around-britain
  • Stahlmach
    1156 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 5
    gherkin12 wrote: »
    Well if thats the case you'd have to open a while can of history. It wasn't the allies that drop incendiary bombs the Axis did as well.

Unfortunately war is war and because of accuracy issues back then the most effective way was carpet bombing. Dresden's issue (possibly along with Hamburg) was that alot of the buildings were of wooden structure and closely packed. Not defending it by all means but both sides were at it.

The sheer scale and the intention although it was clear that it had no effect on moral just speaks a different language.
    Arthur Harris should have been on trial for war crimes but as always: the Victor writes history.....
  • ElliotLH
    8378 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    They probably chose the title because it sounded good rather than to reference the firebombings. I guess we'll just have to wait and see though and it'd be good if there was some thought behind the title.
  • gherkin12
    8 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    But if you go down that route as well you'd have to take the US as well with the bombing of Japan. As I say don't get me wrong what happened wasn't the greatest (not by a long shot) but if it hadn't happened would the same potentially have occurred to the UK?

Unfortunately though if you was to do that with every conflict you'll get to a point where when you have a conflict people won't make the necessary correct decision incase something happens and a whole pile of poo comes there way. I'm actually in the military and you see it everyday, the upper ranks don't want to make the decisions incase it comes back on them.
  • warslag
    1452 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    ElliotLH wrote: »
    They probably chose the title because it sounded good rather than to reference the firebombings. I guess we'll just have to wait and see though and it'd be good if there was some thought behind the title.

It seems to be an unfortunate coincidence. I really hope that's what it is. I have huge expectations of the battle royal mode. Perhaps they could change the title and issue an apology?

I seem to remember hearing or reading somewhere recently, that there were more civilian casualties in Germany as a result of allied bombing, than the sum total of the two atom bombs dropped on Japan.
  • ElliotLH
    8378 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    warslag wrote: »

It seems to be an unfortunate coincidence. I really hope that's what it is. I have huge expectations of the battle royal mode. Perhaps they could change the title and issue an apology?

I seem to remember hearing or reading somewhere recently, that there were more civilian casualties in Germany as a result of allied bombing, than the sum total of the two atom bombs dropped on Japan.

I never knew about the number of civilian casualties so thank you for telling me about that. I'm going to do some reading about that now as unsurprisingly other than a few bits and pieces all I was ever taught in detail at school was the Blitz.

Reading that perhaps they should change the title?
  • mav_smileyface
    1313 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    The game mechanic and feel has to be exactly the same.. of it feels completely different to BFV I’ll not play it.. simply because I don’t want to ruin my current aim
  • Stahlmach
    1156 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 5

Of course there were more casualties from the allied bombing than the atomic bombs! Sorry but is that a specific US/British thing that you guys dont know that ?
    Same on the Pacific. The bombing of Tokyo on march 9/10 1945 alone were higher than the casualties of the atomic bombings! And Tokyo faced six of these massive bombings and countless " smaller " ones.
    Even Curtis LeMay admitted after the war: " “I suppose if I had lost the war, I would have been tried as a war criminal. Fortunately, we were on the winning side.”
    And yes the word " Firestorm ", aka " Feuersturm " in german, is heavily connected to Hamburg and Dresden.

Looking by the videos i thing is a rather poor choice to use that name for a WW2 game while a gigantic firewall is closing in and burning all in its way.
  • Gravlar_SN9
    267 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

Ridiculous, what has the world come to? It’s a name clearly referring to the firestorm that will restrict the playing area.

What next apologise for including weapons on an FPS which killed people too?
  • Stahlmach
    edited February 5

Ridiculous, what has the world come to? It’s a name clearly referring to the firestorm that will restrict the playing area.

What next apologise for including weapons on an FPS which killed people too?

I am someone who is heavily advocating against the current Zeitgeist of political correctness. And i am for sure not " offended " by that word or the gamemode.
    They only thing i say is that the german word " Feuersturm " - which is the direct and correct translation of Firestorm is in Germany mostly connected with the bombings of especially Hamburg and Dresden.
    And looking at the videos showing that its a gigantic Firewall/Firestorm closing in and burning everything on its way, has for sure a sour taste with all that history in mind.
    Nothing more, nothing less.
  • parkingbrake
    3202 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    1984rage wrote: »
    Will Dice in their Firestorm release pay any homage to the victims of the firestorms unleashed upon German civilians. To have seen their take on history in the rest of Battlefield V I'm worried it will be lacking in content and historical accuracy. This Firestorm Update could open up for Dice to highlight and to honor some lesser known history. After all that seem to have been one of their goals. I only hope their take on it will not be another revison of history. I'm certain DICE can make a powerful experience yet hold true to history too if they choose to. I would love a singleplayer war story trying to deliver a glimpse of the drama which must have taking place there.

Obviously you aren't asking a question about an upcoming game mode, you're taking the opportunity to make a political statement reflecting your view of history.

"Historical accuracy", LOL, since when is that of the slightest importance in a BF game?

• parkingbrake
    3202 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Stahlmach wrote: »

The sheer scale and the intention although it was clear that it had no effect on moral just speaks a different language.
    Arthur Harris should have been on trial for war crimes but as always: the Victor writes history.....

"War is the remedy our enemies have chosen....and I say let us give them all they want."--W.T. Sherman

Or in other words, don't start nuthin' and there won't be nuthin'.
  • Catsonspeeed
    612 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    We would need 796 Lancasters, 9 Mosquitos, and 311 B-17's to replicate the Firestorm in Dresden. Those planes would have to carry around 4000 tons of bombs, mostly firebombs, and drop them to civilian targets. We would also need around 40 000 players in the receiving end for those bombs.
  • warslag
    1452 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    1984rage wrote: »

Obviously you aren't asking a question about an upcoming game mode, you're taking the opportunity to make a political statement reflecting your view of history.

"Historical accuracy", LOL, since when is that of the slightest importance in a BF game?

I thought he was saying that the Firestorm theme (the fire closing in during battle royal) didn't take a relevant period of history into account and that the title was insensitive?

It is probably true that it is not a particularly well known, understood or accepted aspect of what happened.
  • Stahlmach
    Stahlmach wrote: »

"War is the remedy our enemies have chosen....and I say let us give them all they want."--W.T. Sherman

When you continue a military action solely against civilians that shows no positive effect towards your initial military goal, you are simply comiting a war crime.
  • Hycor
    46 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    No because if you talk about allied atrocities and the suffering of the german civilians you are a **** according to liberals (Dice).
  • 1984rage
    Exactly @ Hycor. Among other things that is one of the things I wanted to question.
    Are you aware AH didn't even want a war with the British and tried to end it with them more than 10 times. All that was ignored. And there was many high-ups during the time and after that are certain, they defeated the wrong enemy.
    main-qimg-49b6af2a10d24aa82d9930fee41c0ca8

Lest not forget the Germans had suffered and being mistreated since ww1 ending and up untill 1933. They saw the communist expansion from the East, killing millions. The third reich stood up and took the fight not only for Germany but for the whole of Europe!