EA statement on Battlefield franchise

14567810»

Comments

• Hawxxeye
    4760 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    They are either deluded, stupid or lying to say a difficult release window and the lack of Battle Royale is what hurt the launch.

It's the bad design, incomplete and missing features, bugs and, yes, the pre-launch furore that hurt the game.
    I keep seeing the repeating pattern of seemingly deluded developers and publishers on almost all the games that I play these days.
  • disposalist
    8323 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    They are either deluded, stupid or lying to say a difficult release window and the lack of Battle Royale is what hurt the launch.

It's the bad design, incomplete and missing features, bugs and, yes, the pre-launch furore that hurt the game.

In comparison to the launch of BF4, this is a picnic in the park. BF4 had technical issues that really were game-breaking, it crashed at a horrendous rate, the audio would disappear on one map, there were terrible network performance issues, it was a complete train wreck. But now we're supposed to believe that the annoying bugs in BFV like ammo crates dropping into the ground are on the same level as that? It's not even close. As for people still grinding their teeth over female characters etc., yikes, that became a non-issue almost instantly, how amazing that some folks still can't move past that.
    Saying BF4 was worse doesn't mean BF5 isn't terrible. There are sooo many bugs and missing bits and bad design choices that it's constantly frustrating. They've even done crazy things like breaking stuff they'd fixed in BF1.

*shrug* It like like the basic concept of BF5 (ie. always wanted a BF4.5 competitive-hardcore-lite version) then you might look past it's many many disppointments and frustrations. If you loved BF1 you'll just be frustrated and disppointed and wishing for BF1 DLC...
  • 0SiGHT0
    455 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

In comparison to the launch of BF4, this is a picnic in the park. BF4 had technical issues that really were game-breaking, it crashed at a horrendous rate, the audio would disappear on one map, there were terrible network performance issues, it was a complete train wreck. But now we're supposed to believe that the annoying bugs in BFV like ammo crates dropping into the ground are on the same level as that? It's not even close. As for people still grinding their teeth over female characters etc., yikes, that became a non-issue almost instantly, how amazing that some folks still can't move past that.
    Saying BF4 was worse doesn't mean BF5 isn't terrible. There are sooo many bugs and missing bits and bad design choices that it's constantly frustrating. They've even done crazy things like breaking stuff they'd fixed in BF1.

*shrug* It like like the basic concept of BF5 (ie. always wanted a BF4.5 competitive-hardcore-lite version) then you might look past it's many many disppointments and frustrations. If you loved BF1 you'll just be frustrated and disppointed and wishing for BF1 DLC...

Absolutely, then compare it to the other games in the past that had some issues at launch but nothing compared to the magnitude of BF4 and later.
  • disposalist
    8323 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    0SiGHT0 wrote: »

Absolutely, then compare it to the other games in the past that had some issues at launch but nothing compared to the magnitude of BF4 and later.
    I think it's a modern phenomenon. Games companies used to make games, then sell them. Now the marketing machine is in control. With the advent of "live service" releases it seems companies have all the excuses they need to release incomplete and broken games like they are doing us a favour.
  • Red_Label_Scotch
    1232 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Pelliy wrote: »
    Dan Mitre gone. New that was coming. Probably many more to follow.

? Mitre was filling in for Braddock here on the forums, he's still with Dice. Braddock was always the forum guy, BFVs release was the first time Mitre was on the forum on a regular basis, it's always been Braddock. Though I find myself having better luck interacting with devs than the aforementioned community managers

He can't even post in his own forum correctly, without the bot removing the post.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Battlefield/comments/anxtrl/thank_you_my_battlefield_family/

If you want evidence of what will happen to his eSports league, just see what he said about BattlfieldV in my sig.
  • alienstout
    679 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

? Mitre was filling in for Braddock here on the forums, he's still with Dice. Braddock was always the forum guy, BFVs release was the first time Mitre was on the forum on a regular basis, it's always been Braddock. Though I find myself having better luck interacting with devs than the aforementioned community managers

He can't even post in his own forum correctly, without the bot removing the post.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Battlefield/comments/anxtrl/thank_you_my_battlefield_family/

If you want evidence of what will happen to his eSports league, just see what he said about BattlfieldV in my sig.

I think you're putting too much blame on a community manager that really doesn't have much say in the game beyond standing up for it/marketing efforts. He can be an advocate for us but that only holds so much water for the powers-that-be.
  • 0SiGHT0
    455 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    0SiGHT0 wrote:

I think it's a modern phenomenon. Games companies used to make games, then sell them. Now the marketing machine is in control. With the advent of "live service" releases it seems companies have all the excuses they need to release incomplete games like they are doing us a favour.

You could be right, but there are developers making strides with games that actually make sense. They have an idea and make thoughtful decisions around them, and stay true to that idea without getting easily influenced by outside forces. If they are wrong, they will change their stance. DICE does none of this because they don't even have an initial, tested idea in the first place. They haven't since BF4 came out. Also, said developers are actually good at what they do and test their games thoroughly, not including major and plentiful bugs in their releases. Obviously DICE hasn't done that much in this decade that we are almost at the end of.
  • warslag
    1302 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    edited February 7
    alienstout wrote: »

I think you're putting too much blame on a community manager that really doesn't have much say in the game beyond standing up for it/marketing efforts. He can be an advocate for us but that only holds so much water for the powers-that-be.

I was wondering about that and the roles that the really advanced social media and forum users have in changing games. What their capabilities are and how they are the most skillful exploiters of anonymity and online social networking.

It is really about PR (which really means spinning the truth), customer service (which also means spinning the truth sometimes), crowd control and managing expectations and perceptions.

But a part of it also enabling companies to deliver things that they want to make us think we want and to accept them. Some things that many would say are really not good for us at all.

When all you really want as a customer is a straightforward, honest video game. But all they do when you have complaints is trip you up, patronise you, treat you like an idiot and show you up in public.

All those bandwagon mega-threads calling for changes to Battlefield games from the past, games that are now seen as superior to what as a result of those changes we have now, and you may wonder who was really behind all that stuff?
    Post edited by warslag on
  • wc138
    1109 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    It seems like they still don't have the finger on the pulse of the player, what the player wants, or how badly they miffed up in ignoring the player and telling them not to buy the game.

Reading these meeting minutes gives me a lot less hope for the game and the series.
  • Redstripe101
    2546 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Hope they update resumes lol
  • alienstout
    679 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    wc138 wrote: »
    It seems like they still don't have the finger on the pulse of the player, what the player wants, or how badly they miffed up in ignoring the player and telling them not to buy the game.

Reading these meeting minutes gives me a lot less hope for the game and the series.

Yeah the analyst Q&A is a bit unnerving. Instead of speaking about making the games better, they are focusing on the marketing, getting their messaging right. See the game is fine, we just don't understand what they are trying to do and they need to convince us better.
  • Woodlbrad
    496 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 8
    They can make all the excuses they want the game is lacking in the content department. Not enough content from tides is being released missing factions no iconic battles if done well would sell more copies made cods dday map a joke compared but keep making lesser known stuff which ppl aren't interested in. I thought this was a ww2 title might better start digging this franchises grave they can't even manage it properly.
  • c0ldsun
    32 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    I doubt that 7 Mio. copies have been sold and it has done worth. They don't have told us how many "bought" BF over Origin Access.
    This game is behind every expectation and they keep the hope that BR will save the game in sales and player count.
    If not, it will develop like Battlefront, but with the difference that it will really hurt this time losing the huge BF player base.
    With BFV, BF is no longer a must have release in the future and people will think about it buying it next time.
  • MonicasCigar
    112 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    none is going to play firestorm anyway as much as fortnight, apex, minecraft or whatever anyway.
    it doesn't matter when it was released.

but then again, CEOs and CFOs of game companies these days don't know ****.
  • MonicasCigar
    112 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    People would genuinely have been happier with bot matches than singleplayer campaigns.

not all people.
    :p
  • PvtPart5
    82 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 8
    Hawxxeye wrote: »
    GrizzGolf wrote: »
    Add more weapons and maps. Did the community want a WW2 game before BFV dropped? I don't remember.
    yes they did as soon as bf4 I was seeign people asking for a 1942 style sequel

Not me I was bored of ww2 they should have put the poll directly into console Battlefield games to get a true representation of what players actually wanted and not simply the results from forum hipsters who just want the good old days back. I'm tired of the few people that use here reddit or any other outlet ruling the silent majority and getting on their high horse because a handful of people agree with them.

Not aimed at you Hawxxeye just my general opinion on the state of things. In general the feedback from the complete community would be very different from the community here.

Right now you're looking like the not-so-silent minority who hates ww2 era.