Manual Heal and Incinsistent Firefights

Halcyon_Creed_N7
1546 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
An unintended consequence of the addition of manual healing is that if a player hits the bandage key/button it'll totally throw of the bullets to kill and TTK of the enemy.

Some players may like this, but I don't think it's fun or competitive mechanic. When I shoot someone 3 times with an SLR, for example, I expect them to go down, not manage to get to cover and be abe to retaliate while I reload. It's frustrating to know how many bullets it takes to kill someone and then have no indication whatsoever that'll it's not enough.

Thoughts on this?

Comments

• Noodlesocks
    3748 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I'd say they should bring back suppression preventing/cancelling healing. Not really a big issue with automatic weapons since you just keep firing until they are dead but having to hit someone 3 times with a bolt action rifle to kill someone hitting the bandage key between shots makes an already frustrating weapon to use even more so.
  • Sixclicks
    5075 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    They need to introduce a delay before the healing kicks in when using bandages. You shouldn't start healing immediately. This would also fix having to hit a target 3 times with a bolt action for the kill since they could no longer almost instantly heal enough health to survive a 2nd shot before you can even fire your 2nd shot.
  • Halcyon_Creed_N7
    1546 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Sixclicks wrote: »
    They need to introduce a delay before the healing kicks in when using bandages. You shouldn't start healing immediately. This would also fix having to hit a target 3 times with a bolt action for the kill since they could no longer almost instantly heal enough health to survive a 2nd shot before you can even fire your 2nd shot.

I'm not sure that would solve the problem for bolt actions because the manual cycle time and target re-acquisition drag out the TTK so it's never the ideal lowest value if you're taking multiple shots. Unless the delay is like 3-5 seconds, but at that point you're almost waiting as long for the limited self heal.

Basically self healing in firefights potentially kills semi-autos and bolt-actions, which is frustrating in a game where the meta is already automatics.
  • Sixclicks
    5075 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 2019

I'm not sure that would solve the problem for bolt actions because the manual cycle time and target re-acquisition drag out the TTK so it's never the ideal lowest value if you're taking multiple shots. Unless the delay is like 3-5 seconds, but at that point you're almost waiting as long for the limited self heal.

Basically self healing in firefights potentially kills semi-autos and bolt-actions, which is frustrating in a game where the meta is already automatics.

Auto healing takes well beyond 10 seconds to start.

Using bandages should be something you can only really do out of a firefight or when you've got cover and can pause for a bit to heal. At least 3 seconds would be good. Even 5 seconds wouldn't be too long imo. It would make gunfights a lot more consistent.

An alternative would be to have a short delay, of maybe a second or so, while also making it so that the rate at which you regain health from the bandages varies based on your movement. If you're sprinting, you heal slowly. If you're just running, you heal at a medium rate. If you're standing still, you heal faster. I always felt the limited auto heal should work like that too.
  • ninjapenquinuk
    2250 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

Auto healing takes well beyond 10 seconds to start.

Using bandages should be something you can only really do out of a firefight or when you've got cover and can pause for a bit to heal. At least 3 seconds would be good. Even 5 seconds wouldn't be too long imo. It would make gunfights a lot more consistent.

An alternative would be to have a short delay, of maybe a second or so, while also making it so that the rate at which you regain health from the bandages varies based on your movement. If you're sprinting, you heal slowly. If you're just running, you heal at a medium rate. If you're standing still, you heal faster. I always felt the limited auto heal should work like that too.

I dont know why healing was changed from previous titles. I dont mean attrition, just the fact you should only be able to heal out of combat. I think the game is stuck between 2 attrition states. Some mechanics are still based on the original idea of starting with no medi pack - so possibly insta heal would be ok seeing as you wouldnt have a medi pack most of the time, yet they have watered down the health attrition and have not tweaked other things to compensate