DISCUSSION: Our Anti-Cheat Approach to Battlefield V

Comments

• 1ChiLL
    14 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    We need ID/Passport verification for online games. It's the only way to go to minimize cheating online.
    Many services are inaccessible without such verification. So what are you waiting for EA? TAKE ACTION!
    Anybody who disagrees with this has bad intentions.

BAN THE PERSON BEHIND THE SCREEN AND NOT ONLY AN ACCOUNT OR HARDWARE!
  • LOLGotYerTags
    12609 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    1ChiLL wrote: »
    We need ID/Passport verification for online games. It's the only way to go to minimize cheating online.
    Maybe, But then there are privacy laws in many countries that would make this an inappropriate method of combating cheating.

Usually when ID verification is needed in a particular online environment, It is to confirm the age of the account holder, But the whole ID/Passport thing opens a completely different can of worms ( which I will go into shortly )

So what are you waiting for EA? TAKE ACTION!
    People have been asking for action for some time, And the AC team has been working as best they can despite the cheat developers always being one step ahead.
    Anybody who disagrees with this has bad intentions.
    People can disagree if they want, It doesn't mean their intentions are nefarious whatsoever.

They may actually have legitimate concerns with the whole ID/Passport thing.. Which I'll expand upon below.

The thing with those kinds of systems where Passports / Driving licences and other forms of photo ID being used, Is that if there were a blunder and the system was broken into, Such as via an exploit in a browser, Or by clever hackers who are able to get into the backdoors of otherwise secure websites, The information provided on these forms of ID can very easily be used to enable criminals to steal the identity of users here.

Criminals stealing your identity can be a very costly thing to happen, From fraudulent attempts to get into your bank details ( such as online via online banking ), through to obtaining credit cards in your name and leaving you with a huge debt that you cannot otherwise prove that it was not you.

This would at least be my concern with regards to having to use my ID on any kind of service.
  • 1ChiLL
    14 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Test test test test test test

• 1ChiLL
    I disagree. AC team has not done their possible. A Chinese team (with much less funds than EA) came up with a ''cheat'' that blurs aimbot signals, invalidates speedhack and more. Why not try to implement something similar?
    Your personal information is already everywhere. Internet provider, banking system, insurance... Don't be hypocrite. Soon you will not be able to make any kind of contract by phone nor in an office. You will be forced (if not already) to supply your social security number and identification on the service's website.
    I hold my position on the fact that if someone disagrees with this idea, he has bad intentions. Which make me very suspicious on your reply.
    I would be more than happy to prove who I am just to play online and get as much as a positive experience as possible. If you are not willing to prove your identity, just stay away from online gaming. Or the internet as a hole!
  • LOLGotYerTags
    12609 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    I hold my position on the fact that if someone disagrees with this idea, he has bad intentions. Which make me very suspicious on your reply.

I'm stating facts here, Nobody is going to just post their ID in order to play a game.

Let's be realistic here, People can disagree with you on this particular subject and that is not grounds to be "suspicious" of others.

I dislike cheaters as much as anybody here, But there are better ways of dealing with this situation ( such as using a client side anticheat in addition to FairFight ).
  • 1ChiLL
    edited March 27
    Client side anticheat and FairFight maybe works, but to an extend. What happens when a player gets banned? Usually he makes a new account and buys the game again. But as you might know, it's clearly advertised on cheat provider website that '' If you get banned, we offer you a new key''. That, right there, makes the anticheat useless. And banning HWID is quite easily bypassed.
    Your facts here are erroneous. Many of us are ready to prove who we are in order to play relatively cheat free games.
    Don't spread false information please. Again, suspicious reply.
  • 1ChiLL
    Or does EA and other game providers willingly close their eyes about reoccurring cheaters as they are much better customers than regular gamers because they will buy a single game multiple times..?
  • 1ChiLL
    edited March 27
    I'm stating facts here

I am still waiting on facts...

The fact is that you are wrong and have no more arguments.
    I still do not understand why you are triyng to make this look as a very negative idea.

A more neutral answer would of been: I agree with this idea. But it will be hard to get gamers to register with an ID...
    You got so much negativity in your replies that it makes it suspicious. Specially for a moderator.

EA should take example from Tencent as they are adding ID verification to their platform in China for League of Legends, which is more popular than any of EA's games. Not only to combat cheaters but mostly money laundering (think about EA's Apex).
    Epic games will most likely do the same thing for Fortnite if they don't want to be shut down by KYC regulations as the money laundering is a huge problem in that game.

Soon every company will need KYC by law.

ID can very easily be used to enable criminals to steal the identity of users here.

Millions of people are registered on to online exchanges. Crypto or stock. Which requires ID, passport and gas/electric bill to prove identity.
    Some traders and investors have millions in their wallets and accounts.

We are not in 2010 anymore...

Your replies are very immature. I would stay away from this kind of discussions if I had limited knowledge like you seem to have.
    Post edited by 1ChiLL on
  • Kunstula
    414 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    Millions of people are registered on to online exchanges. Crypto or stock. Which requires ID, passport and gas/electric bill to prove identity.

I agree with this. But then there better be very strict laws that require private companies to safeguard personal information with the highest safety measures and may not be used for any other purpose than account verification.

• 1ChiLL
    edited March 27
    This post was a duplicate for some reason. I removed it.

Post edited by 1ChiLL on
  • alienstout
    680 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I agree in general with authentication, maybe phone number or Google authenticator this way the burden of privacy is on someone else, not EA. It's a murky world right now with the GDPR and various US privacy laws so I can understand this being not as easy as some would like to believe. Still - do something already!!!
  • DrunkwoIf
    288 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    you guys are trying to come up with ideas that only put a band aid on a limb that was blown off.

The only way to combat cheating is at the source. the people who make the cheats. banning the players does nothing, these cheat sights make so much money now that they just buy players another game if they get banned. and do you think EA/Dice doesnt know this? It just looks like more sales to the stock holders. hell i bet they love banning players that just means another copy sold, and that player just keeps on cheating.

nothing gets solved.
  • Ferdinand_J_Foch
    3257 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    People here are actually advocating for Chinese-style ID verification and monitoring ...

There is no way in hell this would work ... the US market alone would prevent it. People already have problems with government-mandated IDs in countries that aren't insane dictatorships, so why on Earth would they allow EA of all entities to have all of this information?
  • GenCuster
    55 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    DrunkwoIf wrote: »
    you guys are trying to come up with ideas that only put a band aid on a limb that was blown off.

The only way to combat cheating is at the source. the people who make the cheats. banning the players does nothing, these cheat sights make so much money now that they just buy players another game if they get banned. and do you think EA/Dice doesnt know this? It just looks like more sales to the stock holders. hell i bet they love banning players that just means another copy sold, and that player just keeps on cheating.

nothing gets solved.

More reason to start a massive campaign of lawsuits against cheat producers .........
    If these producers were to find themselves in a position to use the money they earned from selling cheats completely absorbed by legal costs to defend themselves, they would automatically move their work to other, surely more profitable, fields.
    Let us remember that at the base of everything ... there is money, the same money that probably EA / DICE is losing in credibility and image, on a market with potential millions of buyer players, something to absolutely not underestimate.
    On the scale there are, on the one hand, games like BF1 which cost € 110 at the exit, BFV which cost € 60 at the exit ..... or on the other side, cheats from ten € or less.
    Whether they put massive lawsuits into action, or require higher access credentials, or finally put in place a truly effective anticheat, but it's time to move in some direction right away, or all the work they've done will vanish .
  • 1ChiLL
    People here are actually advocating for Chinese-style ID verification and monitoring ...

There is no way in hell this would work ... the US market alone would prevent it. People already have problems with government-mandated IDs in countries that aren't insane dictatorships, so why on Earth would they allow EA of all entities to have all of this information?

EA does not need to take care of this as trustful 3rd party companies (IdentityTM, IDNow...) have been in this domain for years.
    Make some research before posting false information claiming that US will prevent/ban such services.
    Coinbase is the biggest crypto exchange in the US and uses this kind of verification completely legally and without any issues.

This is borrowed straight from Coinbase.com:

ID verification is required to prevent fraud and keep the community safe. It also adds an extra layer of security by ensuring no one but you links your payment information such as your bank account or credit/debit card.

As part of our commitment to remain the most trusted cryptocurrency platform, all IDs must be verified through the Coinbase website or mobile app. We do not accept emailed copies of ID for verification purposes.

• 1ChiLL
    An other solution would be Blockchain technology and smart contracts. Go and have a read if you are not familiar with it.

Advantages of Smart Contracts (source dzone.com):
    Smart contracts make use of blockchain technology. Therefore, the middleman is eliminated and the process becomes much more reliable.
    The decentralized system makes this much more reliable and stable.
    No third party is involved, and the ledger technology can ensure that these computer-coded contracts are stored and replicated on different systems.
    It helps to carry out the process in a more transparent and conflict-free manner. With ledger feedback on each computer, chances of fraud are almost non-existent.

• 1ChiLL
    edited March 27
    I would like to add that Gamepires, the developers of Scum are already using blockchain tech in their game. Not for verification but as a database.
    Post edited by 1ChiLL on
  • 1ChiLL
    edited March 27
    DrunkwoIf wrote: »

nothing gets solved.

With ID verification, once a player gets banned he will not be able to play again. One cheater at the time. Eventually cheat provider websites will loose a huge amount of customers and the cheat business will not be that lucrative anymore. Further more, potential cheaters will stay away from cheating as it will becomes a very risky game to play.
This discussion has been closed.