A sad Hypothesis: Firestorm will fail because of Apex Legends

Comments

• MonicasCigar
    112 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    xeNizKing wrote: »
    It's almost like EA has a history of shooting themselves in the foot by releasing 2 games of the same genre back to back and forcing them to compete with each other.

They do it to developers to put them on shaky so they can buy them up afterwards. EA was able to buy Respawn because of it's lackluster sales of TitanFall 2. Those poor sales were directly due to EA's purposeful lack of marketing and poorly timed release.

This is true, I think the developers should of just waited though as the decision rested with them for TF2s release window. Their choice to compete with CoD imo in the most profitable quater for all companies especially CoD was a disasterous opinion, EA isn't without fault at all they definitely tried to make sure BF1 got ahead of everyone and did it in a very underhanded way but it needs to be acknowledged whos at fault for what instead of a pure hate train. A lot of the time its EA. Sometimes however developer studios make horrid decisions.

EA only gives a crap about it's bottom line.
    it was expected when they went public.
    they haven't changed since.
  • xeNizKing
    278 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    It's almost like EA has a history of shooting themselves in the foot by releasing 2 games of the same genre back to back and forcing them to compete with each other.

They do it to developers to put them on shaky so they can buy them up afterwards. EA was able to buy Respawn because of it's lackluster sales of TitanFall 2. Those poor sales were directly due to EA's purposeful lack of marketing and poorly timed release.

This is true, I think the developers should of just waited though as the decision rested with them for TF2s release window. Their choice to compete with CoD imo in the most profitable quater for all companies especially CoD was a disasterous opinion, EA isn't without fault at all they definitely tried to make sure BF1 got ahead of everyone and did it in a very underhanded way but it needs to be acknowledged whos at fault for what instead of a pure hate train. A lot of the time its EA. Sometimes however developer studios make horrid decisions.

EA only gives a crap about it's bottom line.
    it was expected when they went public.
    they haven't changed since.

Thats true enough but as I said, while EA does only care about their bottom line, ultimately the launch period was the developers choice and they got burned for it.
  • llPhantom_Limbll
    4813 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    The problem with Firestorm is it won't feel unique. It will basically be like playing Conquest but with a Fire Wall.

I will definitely try it.

Yep, I will be trying it as well with my friends - something that has me somewhat confused is how tanks are even going to fit into it really....they're not even powerful enough to take out toilet paper currently let alone a 4 man squad or they could be absurdly powerful....... either option is bad.

This is why I think Tanks are so weak they was designed for Firestorm.

Many things and mechanics in bfv were designed with BR in mind. A sad truth people can't deny.
  • DALLAS-ak-PEIPER
    434 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    It will simply fail because real BF players don t give a fak about battle royal!
  • CHEFARZT1
    111 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    It will fail because it will be halfased like everything in BF V.
  • ProAssassin2003
    2880 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    The problem with Firestorm is it won't feel unique. It will basically be like playing Conquest but with a Fire Wall.

Yep, I will be trying it as well with my friends - something that has me somewhat confused is how tanks are even going to fit into it really....they're not even powerful enough to take out toilet paper currently let alone a 4 man squad or they could be absurdly powerful....... either option is bad.

Many things and mechanics in bfv were designed with BR in mind. A sad truth people can't deny.

I've said that since the beginning. I think I made a thread about it. It's clear as day.
  • Austacker
    430 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    warslag wrote: »
    Poor old Battlefield.

Battlefield we come back one day and be champion again.

I wouldn't count on it.

I haven't seen a screw up this bad on launch since Battlefield 4 and at least that game had a better foundation.

Battlefield 5 is just trash and the BR just won't save it.
  • Naskoni
    183 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Yeah, Apex is SO good that the fact that it is also FREE makes ANY other BR at the moment look bad by comparison. Some **** Battlefield BR that costs money and that not even the BF fans asked about isn't going to get anywhere. Especially when Apex launched first and so close to Firestorm's planned release.

And while on the topic of Apex - after trying it out and getting used to how it plays - coming back for this week's Tides of Grind assignments - holy hell does BF play bad compared to Apex. All the damned bugs with vaulting, getting prone, ammo boxes STILL falling through the world, poor UI - it feels like an amateur game couple of months after release and how many patches already compared to Apex that launched a fleshed out game on day 1. I'd rather have Respawn make the next Battlefield game and I'm not even joking.
  • llPhantom_Limbll
    4813 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

I've said that since the beginning. I think I made a thread about it. It's clear as day.

Everything was clear as soon as Dice announced BR for BFV. The game was basically build around that. I just wonder why is BR being developed by another studio not Dice itself?
    If EA really wanted to push BR meme on us, why couldn't it be a separate thing like Apex? While Respawn says Apex is part of Titanfall, it has nothing to do with that series regarding gameplay and mechanics.
    That's what Dice should have done with Firestorm. Make it a completely separate thing from BF but based on some BF things like squadplay, vehicles and such. So people who want to give BF BR a try can do that, while BF core fans won't get screwed over with random additions to working mechanics and gameplay.
  • Hawxxeye
    4099 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    by putting two different developer firms of its own to compete on the BR, EA basically cannibalized any BR potential the BFV might have had.
    The big losers from this are all the player who will end up getting less of the content they want due to the resources wasted on firestorm.
  • JediMastaWyn
    424 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Apex is another cartoon esqe, light sci-fi shooter. Played a few rounds and like Fortnite, H1z1, lost interest.
  • VincentNZ
    1744 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I tend to disagree. I mean the BR cake is huge and there is much space to take even for big players. Apex has to prove itself beyond the first month as well. Let us not forget that PUBG has, even after 2 years, still 1 million players at peak times on PC. BF1 only ever had 120k. So if BFV can even take 10% of PUBG's current population it would be a huge success.
    So why we get a Battlefield BR game is obvious. It is a huge market, way larger than the few poor souls that play BF for Conquest and the likes. Now of course these are resources wasted in our eyes and it is clear that BFV in the traditional sense has and will suffer greatly for it. It will work out for EA though, most likely.
  • suffice_ls
    486 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited February 8
    Is FireStorm out in March?....the same month that Apex gets its first DLC drop? -- Which consists of new characters, new weapons and new loot.

how are you planning on testing your hypothesis? Twitch numbers?

Post edited by suffice_ls on
  • ackers75
    1888 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Can’t really compare the two.
    One is a free to play game with transactions and the other is just an add on to an existing game.

• ElSamuel04
    110 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    It's fun to see that excuses pull out EA for the non-convincing sales of BF5.

They released an INCOMPLETE game on World War II with 3 small campaigns, only two playable factions and with a disastrous revelation trailer. And they are surprised to have sold little. Ridiculous.

What I suspect from the revelation trailer is that they decided to immediately publish the royal battle at the time of publication of the game, (in the trailer there is nothing about the Second World War, simply a big mess, with women with robo arms, soldiers and vehicles that run and shoot randomly (WTF), battle royale + + facepalm), but given the negative reaction of the community (.. lol...), they have backtracked, postponing BR and perhaps developing one / two map mode more.
  • FritzCT
    287 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 8
    I think BR in BF V & Apex will be very different animals.

Sure the basic mode is the same but when I had a look at Apex last night it looked very much like a clone of Fortnite.

In fact I'm surprised Epic Games haven't thrown their toys out the pram over it.

IMO Firestorm isn't going to be a direct clone of Fortnite (but who knows).

Regardless unless EA/ DICE do something about the state of the game (BF V) in every aspect as discussed on these forums then IMO it's days are numbered anyway.

And that's from a self-confessed die hard Bf franchise fan-boy.

• DrunkOnRedWine
    683 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 8
    I've said it before if DICE wanted to do a BR game then it should have been a standalone free to play model , aka a BattleRoyaleField game.

Kudos to Respawn for thinking intelligently and implementing such a polished game, I'm sure it'll do well.

Btw - the original Titanfall was brilliant - got to Gen 10 - Gooser challenge was one of the best challenges of any game.
  • Loqtrall
    12020 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 8
    Firestorm would get an automatic win over Apex for me just by including a solo mode (which had all but been confirmed to not be happening).

I love Apex's gameplay, as someone who sank a decent amount of time into TF2, but being forced to play with two random people if you're running solo is an absolute nightmare experience for myself and seemingly a lot of people in the Apex or BR community in general. Even with the communication systems in place that they refined through dozens of hours playing with faceless randoms without voice chat in testing, I can not enjoy a squad-based BR game when my squad is two random guys who are often children who don't communicate using voice at all and who die in the first gunfight they get into EVERY SINGLE TIME I PLAY THAT GAME.

That said, with the demand for solo and duos in Apex, I can't imagine them not implementing those modes at a later date. So all Firestorm really has going for it is its potential to be great, and that's all up to Criterion. If it's a lemon at launch, nothing with save it from Apex drawing in 10mil players in 3 days.
  • StingX71
    726 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    The BFV disaster didn't even need competition in the form of Apex Legends to die off. It's already dying a miserable, well deserved death with its low content, buggy, hack infested boring maps. No RSP, no hardcore, absolutely pathetic. It cannot die soon enough and take EA right along with it.

Looking forward to another huge disaster with Anthem! EA deserves nothing less and not a single dime more from any current gamer.

Agree. AL will have a greater impact on Anthem's sales imho.