A sad Hypothesis: Firestorm will fail because of Apex Legends

Comments

• xeNizKing
    507 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 2019
    Fadeeaway wrote: »
    Lol, it's two totally different games...

You misunderstand.

Yep two totally different games with one problem - They're both battle royales. In the same way voting fatigue works in terms of society and voting for your local government or national, continuously pushing the same thing onto people will eventually burn them out. A lot of people have felt this with BRs lately especially with the overexposure fortnite got. In the instance of Apex Legends, it became very successful, very quickly to the point where its even eclipsed fortnites initial growth.

With that on the table firestorm will be hard pressed to lure any of the people who play legends to it as BF5 is fundamentally different from most of the previous incarnations this will leak into firestorm, while its not being made by dice on a certain level it will contain the same flaws which will immediately reduce the interest people have.

You must understand that the goal with games these days is to garner a high player count so that investment in the product is worth it (I do wish the old days where games were intended to be fun was still a thing). Yeah we're all battlefield fans - but we aren't enough here. Most of us never wanted a BR which will hurt the mode by default. Apex Legends has now cornered the market on the genre/mode and so ultimately who will play it? BR players have Apex. BF players have every other mode in the game. Its pretty bleak imo.
  • xeNizKing
    507 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I just don't see it.
    Was the typical BR player eagerly awaiting for firestorm before they bought bfv? Highly unlikely. They are already on fortnite, pubg and cod. Apex is direct competition to those games not bfv.
    I think those who are excited at playing firestorm, are those who already bought bfv because they like the WW2 setting - which is a big factor, because you aren't going to be getting that Sci fi bang and whizz which apex players seemingly enjoy. Firestorm is going to be more gritty because of the setting and weapons.

I appreciate the positive outlook but ultimately its about numbers. EA is obsessed with BRs now if their quarterly earnings statement was anything to go by they emphasised BFs lack of a battle royale at launch as a key reason why they failed and not the poorly built nature of BF5. Which leads me to believe Firestorm was something they were hoping would bring in a lot of sales of the game; alternatively of course it could just be them trying to avoid blame for the products failure but im inclined to believe the latter, no large company would admit failure willingly. They would be too busy protecting their reputation with investors.
  • xeNizKing
    edited February 2019
    I think I just realised where Levelcap gets his video ideas from.....everyone on the forum say hei lol
  • hawkseye17
    586 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I sure hope they have a backup plan
  • xeNizKing
    edited February 2019
    hawkseye17 wrote: »

Me too. I hope I am very much wrong. Really - I actually hope firestorm is a success because it would help BF5 a lot but...I have one major flaw though...Im a realist (also known as a pessimist to some).
  • Khronikos
    2236 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I just don't understand why any BR player is going to go away from the main ones for this. BR games for me are like a quickie. I can't imagine spending hours and hours playing these games. I must have like 50 kills in Apex or something. Not even. There is a guy with 10K kills lol. It just blows my mind that this is what people do with their lives. Collecting loot for 6-8 minutes and then having a little and mostly lame firefight is what kids are into now. LOL.
  • xXThePhantomX1x
    9 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    xeNizKing wrote: »
    hawkseye17 wrote: »

Me too. I hope I am very much wrong. Really - I actually hope firestorm is a success because it would help BF5 a lot but...I have one major flaw though...Im a realist (also known as a pessimist to some).

Hopefully it's not bad. Will we be able to choose a class in that sense dropping down into the hotzone or will it be the same as any other BR? Doesn't makes sense when you drop in a hotzone with firewalls surrounding around you though imo.
  • ecstactica
    1 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I'm sorry but I have to say Apex Legends is a better game than BFV with all of the BFV content. The new BFV battle royal game mode is frustrating, boring, it causes depression for me at least. I've just uninstalled it. BFV seems the end part of the BF series for me.

Apex Legends is fun, the graphic style and control is like the old Unreal Tournament or Quake Arena games. You have heroes with special abilities like in Overwatch and you can unlock new heroes for free. The whole game is also free. But not the free part is the most important but the fun part. If you want to commit suicide I suggest BFV. If you want to feel happy and not to be angry and disappointed because you die again and again (it will happen in Apex also) play Apex. In Apex you return the game with the speed of the light and you not feel so much that you only wasted your time.

Try Apex, and forget the boring emptiness and the end of the world without people feeling in BFV. But if you like BFV play it, maybe you are different. Maybe only I have these problems.
  • CSO7777
    1841 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Been playing a lot of Apex recently and now tried Firestorm after not playing any BFV for almost week or so.

Wow BFV is so bad in many ways. The vaulting is so awful, the movement feels clunky (and I don't wan't apex movement in BFV but still). Everything is just clunky and slow (UI, looting, using gadgets etc).

Firestorm could be a good game, but BFV's quality issues are just too many. Apex is fun even though I suck at it. BFV is frustrating, because it has all kind of small annoying issues everywere in the game.
  • Woodlbrad
    744 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Firestorm is the best br I've played imo sure the looting and inventory aren't the greatest but I'm having fun let criterion get more involved with this game.
  • GP-Caliber
    651 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    CSO7777 wrote: »
    Been playing a lot of Apex recently and now tried Firestorm after not playing any BFV for almost week or so.

Wow BFV is so bad in many ways. The vaulting is so awful, the movement feels clunky (and I don't wan't apex movement in BFV but still). Everything is just clunky and slow (UI, looting, using gadgets etc).

Firestorm could be a good game, but BFV's quality issues are just too many. Apex is fun even though I suck at it. BFV is frustrating, because it has all kind of small annoying issues everywere in the game.

movement is not clunky, you are just not so good at strafing.
  • ZombieEatingKid
    42 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Lets be realistic here people,

With the release of Apex Legends on an already over saturated market for a specific genre (though I am loathed to call it a genre as its a mode, its not even really a game) and Apex has found quite a lot of early approval so far which is surprising, this means that firestorm would need to be fundamentally ground breaking in order to actually gain any traction in the industry - it would also need to draw in players from other battle royale games. With the still rather high Fortnite player count, combined with PUBG and a few others and now Apex Legends, I seriously doubt that it will be successful at least in terms of what the industry deems successful (not us) and will ultimately not get nearly as much resource support from EA that it will likely need to continue on beyond a year.

The simple fact is, when it comes to this kind of mode - The general draw of a successful game is that the game is aesthetically pleasing for both kids and adults alike, this leads to a more unified set of demographics and thus more money. With the way Battlefield 5 has been done, its safe to say that Firestorm will take a similar route as the current game in terms of weapon balance and TTK as they will want to streamline it so the transition for current BF5 players is near seemless (This is of course an assumption so I could be wrong) - which frankly....a great deal of people dislike...make no mistake, a lot of people can pretend that the lack of battlefield sales is down to the dont like it dont buy it crap or they can talk about authenticity but people are remarkably impulsive and thus if the gameplay and feature and gunplay were far better and felt much better and being killed didn't almost feel like you were cheated, then we would have a much larger community and this game would be growing (Yeah I know we need more maps but if the gameplay was more enjoyable people wouldn't lose patience as fast). Firestorm will likely have a half decent sized player base and a few other positives but it likely wont be enough. People will not want to play two completely different games as they will want to remain good at the one they already started, in this instance; Apex.

I hated saying all that but I feel it needs to be said - whether you guys were excited for it or not....tell me - am I wrong here?

I seriously cannot see it being successful with the current state of things.

Thank

Your spot on, mate..
    Intelligent post to.
    I predicted LICE would go broke, soon..
    Freedom of speech should never be censored..
  • dayglowfroggy
    623 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    There are lots of established youtubers not know for bf who are getting in on the fs band wagon and they like it so if that counts for anything I think it could be a win.
    I am not a br player but space lazers, perks, and wall jumping turn me right off a game, played the practice round on legends then thought no thanks.

I don't think unrealistic bullet sponge space games are in the same class as bf.
  • TropicPoison
    2505 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    ecstactica wrote: »
    I'm sorry but I have to say Apex Legends is a better game than BFV with all of the BFV content. The new BFV battle royal game mode is frustrating, boring, it causes depression for me at least. I've just uninstalled it. BFV seems the end part of the BF series for me.

Apex Legends is fun, the graphic style and control is like the old Unreal Tournament or Quake Arena games. You have heroes with special abilities like in Overwatch and you can unlock new heroes for free. The whole game is also free. But not the free part is the most important but the fun part. If you want to commit suicide I suggest BFV. If you want to feel happy and not to be angry and disappointed because you die again and again (it will happen in Apex also) play Apex. In Apex you return the game with the speed of the light and you not feel so much that you only wasted your time.

Try Apex, and forget the boring emptiness and the end of the world without people feeling in BFV. But if you like BFV play it, maybe you are different. Maybe only I have these problems.

Battlefield V has a lot of content? I must be playing the wrong BFV then.

I agree with the rest even though I haven't played apex.
  • R1ckyDaMan19
    556 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    At this point part of me hopes Dice and EA split so Dice can get back to doing what Dice did so well.
  • CroDanZ
    53 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Nah....theyre 2 different "Battle Royale" for me.

APex is for me more like Overwatch a fun shooter and theres not that much tension bcs of this Arcade like playstyle (what I love btw).

Battlefield V Firestorm brings more the PUBG feeling where you are in tension the whole time.
    You hear steps coming closer, you hear a tank and hope he dont see you, etc...hope you know what I mean.

Yes both are Battle Royale but completely different....both great on theyr own.
  • MAJWolfcookies
    587 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Not sad hypothesis. Brutal fact. This entire game was doomed from the start. The decision by the geniuses in Stockholm to steer a WW2 BF game in the direction of steampunk bizarro-land, really killed THE competitive advantage that would’ve made this great. The other fails that we’ve come to expect from DICE were nails in the coffin. RN, all some scrappy developer would need to do is launch a semi-functional conquest based modern shooter to destroy DICE and BF franchise as we knew it. Come to think of it, DICE has already destroyed it.
  • MAJWolfcookies
    587 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    With every fad, there are the innovators, the imitators, and then the idiots...
  • Khronikos
    2236 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Fadeeaway wrote: »
    Lol, it's two totally different games...

You misunderstand.

Yep two totally different games with one problem - They're both battle royales. In the same way voting fatigue works in terms of society and voting for your local government or national, continuously pushing the same thing onto people will eventually burn them out. A lot of people have felt this with BRs lately especially with the overexposure fortnite got. In the instance of Apex Legends, it became very successful, very quickly to the point where its even eclipsed fortnites initial growth.

With that on the table firestorm will be hard pressed to lure any of the people who play legends to it as BF5 is fundamentally different from most of the previous incarnations this will leak into firestorm, while its not being made by dice on a certain level it will contain the same flaws which will immediately reduce the interest people have.

You must understand that the goal with games these days is to garner a high player count so that investment in the product is worth it (I do wish the old days where games were intended to be fun was still a thing). Yeah we're all battlefield fans - but we aren't enough here. Most of us never wanted a BR which will hurt the mode by default. Apex Legends has now cornered the market on the genre/mode and so ultimately who will play it? BR players have Apex. BF players have every other mode in the game. Its pretty bleak imo.

It is bleak. Although I really dislike Apex without full trios, I now have enough people playing where when I want to play the game I can with people. BFV IDK people are just not really playing it much. And this mode is of course rushed, not polished, et cetera. Nobody will care about the game, very similar to the Star Wars experience, even though IMO that game is in a better position.
  • Khronikos
    CroDanZ wrote: »
    Nah....theyre 2 different "Battle Royale" for me.

APex is for me more like Overwatch a fun shooter and theres not that much tension bcs of this Arcade like playstyle (what I love btw).

Battlefield V Firestorm brings more the PUBG feeling where you are in tension the whole time.
    You hear steps coming closer, you hear a tank and hope he dont see you, etc...hope you know what I mean.

Yes both are Battle Royale but completely different....both great on theyr own.

What this is absurd lol. Apex with a full trio is easily one of the most intense games I play. Maybe if you don't win or compete often it can seem redundant, but if you are top 3 a lot Apex is very intense.