Does Apex Legends pose a threat to BFV?

Comments

• Prep768
    3441 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Just tried Apex Legends. OMG yuck. Mad scramble for power ups and gadgets blah blah blah mess random chaotic rubbish.

Totally remembered why I don't like battle royale games.

Although I respect your opinion, my rebuttal is that Apex/respawn has emulated the BF comm rose and arguably improved upon it.

The game is indeed a BR game where looting is essential, as you start with no weapons, however the potential squad play through using the class system and comm rose cannot be any closer to the BF mechanics.

Not a fan of fortshite or indeed blackout but Apex certainly bridges a gap in terms of squad play - I only hope that firestorm can learn, and improve from Respawn.
  • Pelliy
    2228 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Just tried Apex Legends. OMG yuck. Mad scramble for power ups and gadgets blah blah blah mess random chaotic rubbish.

Totally remembered why I don't like battle royale games.

What's so funny about this post is if you take out the mention of scrambling for power ups, you can easily say the same thing about battlefield games lol
  • rockin_master
    373 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 9
    How many effing bullets does it take to kill someone in APEX? I haven't rage quit any game since the first time I played BF4. I emptied two clips into a guy he didn't die. I followed him to his squadmate where I emptied a mag into his squadmate and he didn't die either. He just mowed me down. I must be doing something wrong because people are killing me and I'm incapable of killing them, it's so humbling to go from mowing down noobs in Battlefield to becoming fodder in Apex.

Seems there are many BFV fans don't like when they have to deal with someone shooting back. It's weird and not weird at the same time.

Are you a console player that uses a specialty controller by chance Goon? Those players seem to get frustrated with it the most -that's why I ask.

I use a mouse on Xbox. It doesn't have anything to do with it. My aim is on point, I would know.

You were getting cooked by controller users? That's funny. Run away, run away. Humping snow is where you belong. No wonder you're so salty. BFV xim scrub tears

Sticking with BattleScrubV is a smart move, APEX's grapes are sour anyway. Hopefully you stay away

AA9q0HO.jpg
    At least you have your Xim training wheels to help keep you upright there.
  • UteUncleBarryyyy
    543 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I don’t think any potential impact matters considering there’s only 7 people interested in firestorm.
  • ackers75
    2480 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Had to see what the fuss was about so I installed and played a few rounds of apex and got confused.
    No one kill wonder bullets and not getting killed miles behind cover?
    What is this wizardry that’s going on?
  • PoppaPappo
    241 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I don’t think any potential impact matters considering there’s only 7 people interested in firestorm.

That might be true if you’re just talking about people who have been into Battlefield for a while. However, if you’re looking at the general population, I could see a lot of people interested in a WW2 themed BR game. Especially, if they allow all the vehicles and all kinds of destructible terrain. The mayhem could actually be pretty fun.
  • M_Rat13
    1377 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Another EA master stroke. Blame the bad sales of BF5 on putting in single player instead of battle royale, then bring out a good battle royale game before releasing battle royale mode on BF5.

So, design the new BF for a community minority, release it way too early with a load of bugs, missing stuff and weird design choices, then make one of its big selling points obsolete before it even gets completed.

I'm wondering now whether it was their strategy all along to kill the franchise in favour of something else? What can their strategy be?

It's scary that you might have a point. Is Dice going to be yet another company killed by EA?
  • Austacker
    444 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I do fear for this game

Don't fear the reaper.

AL already runs cleaner, smoother and less buggy than Battlefield 5 - on day one of it's release.

Firestorm simply cannot compete with that and won't.

DICE should just can the mode and instead develop classic RUSH for Battlefield 5, introduce new maps and fix the horrendous bugs that plague this game.

But we know they won't.
  • Pelliy
    2228 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 10
    M_Rat13 wrote: »
    Another EA master stroke. Blame the bad sales of BF5 on putting in single player instead of battle royale, then bring out a good battle royale game before releasing battle royale mode on BF5.

So, design the new BF for a community minority, release it way too early with a load of bugs, missing stuff and weird design choices, then make one of its big selling points obsolete before it even gets completed.

I'm wondering now whether it was their strategy all along to kill the franchise in favour of something else? What can their strategy be?

It's scary that you might have a point. Is Dice going to be yet another company killed by EA?

they need dice. Dice controls the proprietary engine for EA. Frostbite. I think respawn was the only one that didn't budge off their current engine (source mod) FIFA, NFS, Battlefield, Anthem, Mass Effect , etc are all on Dice's FrostBite Engine.
  • Khronikos
    2146 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    naitch44 wrote: »
    Any MP game is a risk to BF5, given its so shallow. Most of my regular squad have already jumped ship the second it came out.

Says it all, BF5 is/was just a stopgap

This is totally true, and it totally sucks. Because we deserve an amazing WW2 game, and all we got was a shallow shell of a game. I now presume it is back to modern or whatever. I still not sure they haven't damaged the brand a bit though. I certainly will not be preordering ever again unless Premium maps are there again.
  • Sk1lld
    560 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    First I've heard of Apex Legends, had to look it up. I don't think squads of 3 are my thing. Maybe if I had regular guys to match with all the time, but it does look good. Don't think it's a threat though.
  • M_Rat13
    1377 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Pelliy wrote: »

they need dice. Dice controls the proprietary engine for EA. Frostbite. I think respawn was the only one that didn't budge off their current engine (source mod) FIFA, NFS, Battlefield, Anthem, Mass Effect , etc are all on Dice's FrostBite Engine.

And what's to stop EA gaining control of Frostbite? Maybe Dice planned this out themselves, becuase they aren't stupid, but I don't know the details.
  • Pelliy

And what's to stop EA gaining control of Frostbite? Maybe Dice planned this out themselves, becuase they aren't stupid, but I don't know the details.

Its EAs. They can do what they please, but they know Dice gets the best out of the engine.
  • UteUncleBarryyyy
    543 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    PoppaPappo wrote: »

That might be true if you’re just talking about people who have been into Battlefield for a while. However, if you’re looking at the general population, I could see a lot of people interested in a WW2 themed BR game. Especially, if they allow all the vehicles and all kinds of destructible terrain. The mayhem could actually be pretty fun.
    Calling BFV ww2 themed is a bit of a stretch :p
  • LinkZeppeloyd
    866 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

You mean the proprietary engine that killed Mass Effect, Star Wars, and now Battlefield? Yeah sheesh, it must be SOOOO indispensable.
  • Faylum
    419 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    When you go to the store to buy your weekly shop, how come Trash bags only cost like 5-7€ and then you look at BFV and it costs like 40-60€? Why does EA charge players so much just to own a bag of crap?
  • Pelliy

You mean the proprietary engine that killed Mass Effect, Star Wars, and now Battlefield? Yeah sheesh, it must be SOOOO indispensable.

You're arguing a strawman. My point is DICE was the originators of the engine and most likely have knowledge of how it works better than anyone. that's valuable to EA since they own the engine. Just because the games didn't sell doesn't mean the engine was bad. For mass effect: Yes, the inexperience with the engine did kill it, but Star wars wasn't killed because it was on frost bite. Neither was battlefield. Battlefield and Star wars made bad gameplay choices.

Star wars BF 2 with the lootcrates which led to government intervention around the world. Star Wars BF1 lacked content . Battlefield began adding all this unnecessary hardcore elements and cinematic BS.

BF1 sold well. BF1 is on the same engine as BFV. It's not a new one.

Fifa make millions and that's on frostbite.

For ea, unfortunately its all about maxizing profits I believe and if they could make things stay in house as much as they can, they'll try.
  • Austacker
    444 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 10
    Sk1lld wrote: »
    First I've heard of Apex Legends, had to look it up. I don't think squads of 3 are my thing. Maybe if I had regular guys to match with all the time, but it does look good. Don't think it's a threat though.

Give it a try. You'll be surprised at how well it runs and how good the gameplay feels for a free to play game. It's basically AAA quality out of the box - but free.

You'll shake your head with disgust at how DICE have allowed BF5 launch in the state that it did and how nearly 6 months later it's still a vomit fest.

I've got thousands of hours in the franchise, but BF5 is just trash and it doesn't help the fact that Respawn are basically making them look stupid at the moment with a free to play game that launches basically perfect on day one. It's actually embarrassing, but I know DICE under the thumb of EA basically has no appreciation of the concept, they're just going through the motions nowadays with the franchise and it shows painfully.