Does Apex Legends pose a threat to BFV?

Comments

  • Sk1lld
    560 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Austacker wrote: »
    Sk1lld wrote: »
    First I've heard of Apex Legends, had to look it up. I don't think squads of 3 are my thing. Maybe if I had regular guys to match with all the time, but it does look good. Don't think it's a threat though.

    Give it a try. You'll be surprised at how well it runs and how good the gameplay feels for a free to play game. It's basically AAA quality out of the box - but free.

    You'll shake your head with disgust at how DICE have allowed BF5 launch in the state that it did and how nearly 6 months later it's still a vomit fest.

    I've got thousands of hours in the franchise, but BF5 is just trash and it doesn't help the fact that Respawn are basically making them look stupid at the moment with a free to play game that launches basically perfect on day one. It's actually embarrassing, but I know DICE under the thumb of EA basically has no appreciation of the concept, they're just going through the motions nowadays with the franchise and it shows painfully.

    I will give it a try, I haven't had the heart to even start BFV but a couple of times over the last two weeks. What a disappointment.
    Thank you.
  • Redstripe101
    2574 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    gibonez wrote: »
    It's funny how a game with a far greater ttk goes one to be so successful. It almost looks like the people here actually didn't know what they were talking about after all.

    Higher TTK = more skill required.

    Fortnite takes more skill? Ok.

    i've never played, but i've seen clips just from being around gaming. pretty sure if i played today, it would be far more unforgiving than bf 5 to a same new player i think. i'm not a fan of aby BR so i dont play or prefer them. but even being a bf fan i can still assume the skill gap between avg and good players is larger in fortnite. it seems to be extremely competetive for this reason as well.
  • PoppaPappo
    241 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    gibonez wrote: »
    It's funny how a game with a far greater ttk goes one to be so successful. It almost looks like the people here actually didn't know what they were talking about after all.

    Higher TTK = more skill required.

    Fortnite takes more skill? Ok.

    i've never played, but i've seen clips just from being around gaming. pretty sure if i played today, it would be far more unforgiving than bf 5 to a same new player i think. i'm not a fan of aby BR so i dont play or prefer them. but even being a bf fan i can still assume the skill gap between avg and good players is larger in fortnite. it seems to be extremely competetive for this reason as well.

    Yep, Fortnite most certainly takes skill.

    It’s a different type of skill, but skill nonetheless. I’ve noticed some BF players think their skill is the only type that matters. Sort of like how they always talk about “tactics” in BF, when they really just mean flanking.
  • LinkZeppeloyd
    864 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    PoppaPappo wrote: »
    gibonez wrote: »
    It's funny how a game with a far greater ttk goes one to be so successful. It almost looks like the people here actually didn't know what they were talking about after all.

    Higher TTK = more skill required.

    Fortnite takes more skill? Ok.

    i've never played, but i've seen clips just from being around gaming. pretty sure if i played today, it would be far more unforgiving than bf 5 to a same new player i think. i'm not a fan of aby BR so i dont play or prefer them. but even being a bf fan i can still assume the skill gap between avg and good players is larger in fortnite. it seems to be extremely competetive for this reason as well.

    Yep, Fortnite most certainly takes skill.

    It’s a different type of skill, but skill nonetheless. I’ve noticed some BF players think their skill is the only type that matters. Sort of like how they always talk about “tactics” in BF, when they really just mean flanking.

    Fortnite takes skill to be the best in the world. The skill has to do with battle royale tactics, not the shooting mechanics of the game. It has been stated here that “high ttk requires more skill” and I think that’s laughable. R6S for example has *zero* TTK, a single hit scan pistol headshot and you’re out.
  • Redstripe101
    2574 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    PoppaPappo wrote: »
    gibonez wrote: »
    It's funny how a game with a far greater ttk goes one to be so successful. It almost looks like the people here actually didn't know what they were talking about after all.

    Higher TTK = more skill required.

    Fortnite takes more skill? Ok.

    i've never played, but i've seen clips just from being around gaming. pretty sure if i played today, it would be far more unforgiving than bf 5 to a same new player i think. i'm not a fan of aby BR so i dont play or prefer them. but even being a bf fan i can still assume the skill gap between avg and good players is larger in fortnite. it seems to be extremely competetive for this reason as well.

    Yep, Fortnite most certainly takes skill.

    It’s a different type of skill, but skill nonetheless. I’ve noticed some BF players think their skill is the only type that matters. Sort of like how they always talk about “tactics” in BF, when they really just mean flanking.

    Fortnite takes skill to be the best in the world. The skill has to do with battle royale tactics, not the shooting mechanics of the game. It has been stated here that “high ttk requires more skill” and I think that’s laughable. R6S for example has *zero* TTK, a single hit scan pistol headshot and you’re out.

    easy fix is to have a core and hardcore options like other titles. basically all it is
  • VVaxDaddy
    135 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    This Battlefield is a completely frustrating and unfun experience. There's nothing driving people away from this game but the game itself.
  • PoppaPappo
    241 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    PoppaPappo wrote: »
    I don’t think any potential impact matters considering there’s only 7 people interested in firestorm.


    That might be true if you’re just talking about people who have been into Battlefield for a while. However, if you’re looking at the general population, I could see a lot of people interested in a WW2 themed BR game. Especially, if they allow all the vehicles and all kinds of destructible terrain. The mayhem could actually be pretty fun.
    Calling BFV ww2 themed is a bit of a stretch :p

    I get that you’re joking, but it absolutely is WW2 themed. Theme has to do with environment and mood more than historical accuracy. For example: Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Inglorious Basterds, and Hellboy are all WW2 themed, yet obviously they’re far from historically accurate.
  • Astr0damus
    2904 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Hawxxeye wrote: »
    I hope AL fullfillss all of EAs desire for a BR game so that they will stop trying to shove BR on BF games

    Battle-
    Apex
    Royale
    Field

    maxresdefault.jpg
  • Pelliy
    2228 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    gibonez wrote: »
    It's funny how a game with a far greater ttk goes one to be so successful. It almost looks like the people here actually didn't know what they were talking about after all.

    Higher TTK = more skill required.

    Fortnite takes more skill? Ok.

    That's subjective I guess but fortnite is a very skillful game. That's why people don't like it for the most part. The build meta is annoying to people who just want to shoot crap up.
  • ackers75
    2480 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Loqtrall wrote: »
    Just wanted to point out that while Apex is good, it's launch is not flawless. The game has been experiencing a myriad of bugs as well as server overload crashes. Nearly every time I end a game, I have to wait like 2 whole minutes before I'm thrown back to the title screen and have to load back into the main menu again. EVERY round.

    There are people who have experienced clipping into the ground, being able to pick two of the same legend on a squad, being able to shoot enemies while in a downed state, being killed by opening doors or containers in the wrong position, touching out of bounds while deploying and the out of bounds timer stays and kills the whole squad, clipping into the supply ship while reviving teammates on it, one guy even experienced invulnerability and won a match solo by sitting out of bounds and getting 0 damage. I got 3v1d without even being able to defend myself because while I was running away from this squad, I stepped in a small divot in the ground and got stuck and could not jump or move at all, when I died my body got sucked into the divot and through the ground.

    That's on top of rubberbanding issues when too much is happening at the beginning of a match (very much so like PUBG when it launched on xbone), and other personal qualms like the long ttk and low magazine size on most guns COMPLETELY contradicting each other.

    It's a good game but it's definitely not flawless and clearly has its own issues. I for one am not a fan of waiting longer to get out of some matches than it took me to deploy and die in said match.

    And yet after all that waffle apex is leaps and bounds a far more polished shooter AT LAUNCH than battlefield v is ever likely to be!
    Oh yeah and it’s free.

    The only people killing the battlefield franchise are the apologists for accepting mediocrity and blatantly broken games.
  • full951
    2465 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    apex legends is good. and it can always get better.

    imo everything the forum members of every other BR game asked their devs to do. respawn wrote down and put into their game.

    it's as if every single thing that annoyed players about pubg for example was fixed, taken out or done better by AL
  • full951
    2465 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    ackers75 wrote: »
    Loqtrall wrote: »
    Just wanted to point out that while Apex is good, it's launch is not flawless. The game has been experiencing a myriad of bugs as well as server overload crashes. Nearly every time I end a game, I have to wait like 2 whole minutes before I'm thrown back to the title screen and have to load back into the main menu again. EVERY round.

    There are people who have experienced clipping into the ground, being able to pick two of the same legend on a squad, being able to shoot enemies while in a downed state, being killed by opening doors or containers in the wrong position, touching out of bounds while deploying and the out of bounds timer stays and kills the whole squad, clipping into the supply ship while reviving teammates on it, one guy even experienced invulnerability and won a match solo by sitting out of bounds and getting 0 damage. I got 3v1d without even being able to defend myself because while I was running away from this squad, I stepped in a small divot in the ground and got stuck and could not jump or move at all, when I died my body got sucked into the divot and through the ground.

    That's on top of rubberbanding issues when too much is happening at the beginning of a match (very much so like PUBG when it launched on xbone), and other personal qualms like the long ttk and low magazine size on most guns COMPLETELY contradicting each other.

    It's a good game but it's definitely not flawless and clearly has its own issues. I for one am not a fan of waiting longer to get out of some matches than it took me to deploy and die in said match.

    And yet after all that waffle apex is leaps and bounds a far more polished shooter AT LAUNCH than battlefield v is ever likely to be!
    Oh yeah and it’s free.

    The only people killing the battlefield franchise are the apologists for accepting mediocrity and blatantly broken games.

    you say that like he was being apologetic to bfv.
  • Loqtrall
    12091 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    ackers75 wrote: »
    Loqtrall wrote: »
    Just wanted to point out that while Apex is good, it's launch is not flawless. The game has been experiencing a myriad of bugs as well as server overload crashes. Nearly every time I end a game, I have to wait like 2 whole minutes before I'm thrown back to the title screen and have to load back into the main menu again. EVERY round.

    There are people who have experienced clipping into the ground, being able to pick two of the same legend on a squad, being able to shoot enemies while in a downed state, being killed by opening doors or containers in the wrong position, touching out of bounds while deploying and the out of bounds timer stays and kills the whole squad, clipping into the supply ship while reviving teammates on it, one guy even experienced invulnerability and won a match solo by sitting out of bounds and getting 0 damage. I got 3v1d without even being able to defend myself because while I was running away from this squad, I stepped in a small divot in the ground and got stuck and could not jump or move at all, when I died my body got sucked into the divot and through the ground.

    That's on top of rubberbanding issues when too much is happening at the beginning of a match (very much so like PUBG when it launched on xbone), and other personal qualms like the long ttk and low magazine size on most guns COMPLETELY contradicting each other.

    It's a good game but it's definitely not flawless and clearly has its own issues. I for one am not a fan of waiting longer to get out of some matches than it took me to deploy and die in said match.

    And yet after all that waffle apex is leaps and bounds a far more polished shooter AT LAUNCH than battlefield v is ever likely to be!
    Oh yeah and it’s free.

    The only people killing the battlefield franchise are the apologists for accepting mediocrity and blatantly broken games.

    And there's still more bugs and issues being discovered in the game every single day. You may call it leaps and bounds better than BF5, but it still has a myriad of blatant issues.

    Sure, bf5 may have an occasional black loading screen that requires a restart - but 90% of the rounds I leave on Apex when I lose disconnects me from the servers, kicks me from my party with my friends, and boots me back to the title screen.

    Sure BF5 may have bundled damage issues, but Apex is a single life game mode with bugs that give people infinite health or allow players to continue firing thier weapon when they're down, they have revive animations that will clip you through walls, and so far SEVERAL discovered "holes" in the map that people can fall into and die.

    BF5 may have netcode issues, but Apex is not free of those either. On top of being killed around corners several times, I've experienced severe and near debilitating lag at the beginning of several rounds because of server instability, arguably one of the most important time periods in a BR match. I've lost a match because I stepped in a small divot and literally got stuck in the ground. Thats without mentioning the server outages they've had.

    Hell, one guy, randomly out of nowhere, just received 125,000,000 Apex coins, the paid currency used for buying legends and loot boxes, for doing NOTHING.

    Sure, Apex is a wonderful game, I've played a lot of it and have amassed over 200 kills in like 15 hours of play time, but it is not some immaculately perfect game. It's not "leaps and bounds" over other games that have issues, because it blatantly has its own issues - WAY more than what I've just brought up in this comment. There's an entire megathread about issues in that game on its reddit page.

    You can dislike BF5 more all you like, but we can't just sit here acting like Apex is some immaculate pinnacle of perfection. If has blatant, glaring issues just like every other multiplayer shooter at launch. Just because it has different issues than BF5 doesn't negate the fact its still a flawed game.
  • Kongo030
    667 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    BF tracker credits me for 9d 02h 20m Play Time. I never got stuck on a black loading screen, had at most 5 server disconnects and rarely got shot around corners and never experienced single frame death which weren't explainable.
    I do have a very low ping and play on PS4.I feel bad for the people with a poor game experience but can't relate to these issues. Maybe I'm just a lucky exception or PC is a more unstable platform.

    Apex is hopefully putting EA back on track giving BF V some room to breathe. I mean if Apex is a F2P success why not come with the in game premium currency in BF V ? Don't get what's stopping them.
  • danosta
    430 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I Ask because I hated the BR genre until I played this games, now I cannot put it down.

    On top of that AL is EAs saving grace after the PR disaster of BFV, Any cash they lost here they’ve already tripled it in AL

    Are EA really going to show anymore love to this gam? Particularly as it’s making them 0 money..

    The firestorm BR mode is going to have to turn water into wine to compete with AL

    I do fear for this game

    I wasn't a fan of BR and played AL last night. Still not a fan and will not put bfv down for AL.
  • Woodlbrad
    688 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 11
    I'm guessing firestorm will be much more unforgiving compared to apex with the ring being fire,fast ttk, and tanks. Maybe ppl looking for a more hardcore experience might like firestorm more so than apex. Not sure if I'll be playing firestorm unless I can find a group of ppl with some mics apex is amazing with a full group of friends and the only way to play imo. If you're playing these battle royales with randoms your probably not going to do very well or have much fun. Apex made BR relevant for me I had no interest in BR before apex hopefully firestorm is good.

  • azelenkin0306
    565 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    ackers75 wrote: »
    Loqtrall wrote: »
    Just wanted to point out that while Apex is good, it's launch is not flawless. The game has been experiencing a myriad of bugs as well as server overload crashes. Nearly every time I end a game, I have to wait like 2 whole minutes before I'm thrown back to the title screen and have to load back into the main menu again. EVERY round.

    There are people who have experienced clipping into the ground, being able to pick two of the same legend on a squad, being able to shoot enemies while in a downed state, being killed by opening doors or containers in the wrong position, touching out of bounds while deploying and the out of bounds timer stays and kills the whole squad, clipping into the supply ship while reviving teammates on it, one guy even experienced invulnerability and won a match solo by sitting out of bounds and getting 0 damage. I got 3v1d without even being able to defend myself because while I was running away from this squad, I stepped in a small divot in the ground and got stuck and could not jump or move at all, when I died my body got sucked into the divot and through the ground.

    That's on top of rubberbanding issues when too much is happening at the beginning of a match (very much so like PUBG when it launched on xbone), and other personal qualms like the long ttk and low magazine size on most guns COMPLETELY contradicting each other.

    It's a good game but it's definitely not flawless and clearly has its own issues. I for one am not a fan of waiting longer to get out of some matches than it took me to deploy and die in said match.

    And yet after all that waffle apex is leaps and bounds a far more polished shooter AT LAUNCH than battlefield v is ever likely to be!
    Oh yeah and it’s free.

    The only people killing the battlefield franchise are the apologists for accepting mediocrity and blatantly broken games.

    Sorry, but your comparison is not correct. Apex Legends is a small game on a tiny arena, while Battlefield is a full-scale warfare game with vehicles, planes, large maps with destruction and other stuff. It’s much more complicated game. How can you even compare them?

    I am not excusing the Battlefield V, but I don’t understand why this game is even compared with Battlefield. They have nothing in common
  • ackers75
    2480 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    ackers75 wrote: »
    Loqtrall wrote: »
    Just wanted to point out that while Apex is good, it's launch is not flawless. The game has been experiencing a myriad of bugs as well as server overload crashes. Nearly every time I end a game, I have to wait like 2 whole minutes before I'm thrown back to the title screen and have to load back into the main menu again. EVERY round.

    There are people who have experienced clipping into the ground, being able to pick two of the same legend on a squad, being able to shoot enemies while in a downed state, being killed by opening doors or containers in the wrong position, touching out of bounds while deploying and the out of bounds timer stays and kills the whole squad, clipping into the supply ship while reviving teammates on it, one guy even experienced invulnerability and won a match solo by sitting out of bounds and getting 0 damage. I got 3v1d without even being able to defend myself because while I was running away from this squad, I stepped in a small divot in the ground and got stuck and could not jump or move at all, when I died my body got sucked into the divot and through the ground.

    That's on top of rubberbanding issues when too much is happening at the beginning of a match (very much so like PUBG when it launched on xbone), and other personal qualms like the long ttk and low magazine size on most guns COMPLETELY contradicting each other.

    It's a good game but it's definitely not flawless and clearly has its own issues. I for one am not a fan of waiting longer to get out of some matches than it took me to deploy and die in said match.

    And yet after all that waffle apex is leaps and bounds a far more polished shooter AT LAUNCH than battlefield v is ever likely to be!
    Oh yeah and it’s free.

    The only people killing the battlefield franchise are the apologists for accepting mediocrity and blatantly broken games.

    Sorry, but your comparison is not correct. Apex Legends is a small game on a tiny arena, while Battlefield is a full-scale warfare game with vehicles, planes, large maps with destruction and other stuff. It’s much more complicated game. How can you even compare them?

    I am not excusing the Battlefield V, but I don’t understand why this game is even compared with Battlefield. They have nothing in common

    Your being silly
  • craigerswuzhere
    103 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Apparently Farming Simulator 2016 is competition for BFV.
  • mc22ryan
    42 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    moose004 wrote: »
    BRs are already kind of past their sell-by date. AL may be the last great one. Come March, I expect Firestorm will be a giant "meh" and not make much of a dent in the BR world.

    Especially because BR fans who want realistic can already buy PUBG or blackout CoD. And then there are many free battle royals.

    Who's going to buy BF5 just for the BR mode... Honestly, not sure what dice was thinking unless they just had a really fun idea they wanted to try.
Sign In or Register to comment.