Should I buy a headset?

astroboy
4 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
For whatever reason, I do not like the idea of a headset, but I am wondering how much of a disadvantage I have if I chose to not use one? What percentage of players use a headset to chat with their squad?

Comments

• Brammers1968
    7 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    astroboy wrote: »
    For whatever reason, I do not like the idea of a headset, but I am wondering how much of a disadvantage I have if I chose to not use one? What percentage of players use a headset to chat with their squad?

I use a HyperX Cloud Stinger that I got for about $45 - I’ve had no luck with the wireless headsets and this just plugs into the controller. Decent sound quality, it does the job - I use it for my Switch as well which I play when I work away (all week, every week)
  • NilSatisOptimum
    37 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 9

Unless you have squad to play with I would not bother its mostly silence with the odd mouth breather with a smattering of belches!
  • Professor_Mayhem
    25 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    If we were talking about BF1, I would say definitely try using a headset. The ability to use sound to determine the position of enemies and hear them approach makes a world of difference. IMO, positional audio seems to be absent or at least much less pronounced in BF5 (anyone who disagrees, feel free to jump in).

Also, in-game chat makes a headset pretty much a requirement. However, as NilSatisOptimum observed, that's only going to be a consideration if you're playing with friends who are likely to communicate. IME, it's rare to find randoms who communicate.
  • LeesSummit09
    294 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Yes. You can buy decent headphones for under $100 and they allow you to hear the enemy moving around(enemy footsteps in BFV silent when first came out, but much improved now). For the mic, like already stated, if with friends, awesome, with randoms, best to mute everyone.
  • full951
    1942 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    try out your phones ear buds. if they are not crap ear buds then you will get mic function with out static too.

this way you can experience the audio and see what it's like to anticipate people you can't see yet on just sound.

hopefully it helps you decide if you really want headphones or not.
  • iamdice
    2 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I would recommend getting one I’ve been a gamer for years and last year I finally got a nice headset and I’ll never go back it’s the best way to game I think and I have a Pretty decent surroundsound system but it never gets used anymore.
  • lu300zxlu
    30 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    No one really talks on battlefield like back in the day. I would Get headset still. You can hear if someone is coming behind you. I love taking peoples tags
  • dcs500
    1142 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I don't like headsets, prefer the TV sound and I get too hot wearing them. I had one of those call centre style ear piece/mics, but I broke it in a rage quit, now I have the cheapo Turtle Beach Recons with the single ear cup and mic, the ear cup has gaps so you can still hear the TV sound.
  • Prep768
    2960 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    dcs500 wrote: »
    but I broke it in a rage quit
    Lol!
  • dcs500
    1142 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Prep768 wrote: »
    dcs500 wrote: »
    but I broke it in a rage quit
    Lol!

The other day I had to paint out some marks on the walls caused by various paraphernalia being thrown across the room.
    🙂
  • wc138
    962 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    yes.

your game will improve vastly with a good pair of headphones and the right settings in options. you'll be surprised how much more you'll hear, and how directional perception increases.
  • astroboy
    4 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Thanks everyone... I was asking more in terms of communicating with squad members but never thought about the aspect of improving a sense of "directional hearing".

Some amusing responses too lol
  • Agent_Talon
    266 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I'm using the Turtle Beach Elite Pro and I never play without it. Single player sounds 1000% more intense and in MP I can honestly say it's almost like cheating in some situations. I can hear player and where they are coming from early enough that I can get the drop on them. BF5 doesn't have the best sound direction right now but it still helps. Other games like Apex it's saved me a dozen times.
  • Karnage75
    22 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 12
    When you have your own gaming/man cave and 7.2 surround, why bother with a headset?
    That being said, if you play with clanmates/friends regularly, or have to worry about your parents,SO, or kids being disrupted by the noise, then invest in a quality 7.1/.2 pair.
    Post edited by Karnage75 on
  • WetFishDB
    1752 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

There are two reasons why you might want one.

1. If you play a lot within a party (which is easily the best way to play BFV IMHO) then a headset to communicate is kind of a must have.

2. If you are super sweaty (like I am) and want to hear footstep positions (if they ever properly fix it) then it’s also a must have. The ability to know an enemy is above/below, or their direction before they start firing can be invaluable. I’ve lost count of the times I’ve turned around and taken an enemy down who thought they were sneaking up for a melee kill etc.