Sudden FPS Drops

Makipara
1 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
edited February 9
Hi guys,
Before the febr. 5 update i had an amd fx 6300, and the game was unplayable. Than i upgraded to amd fx 8350 processor in order to play at higher frame rates in bf1, but after I installed the cpu, and i started playing at medium settings after the update. At the first look it was good it runned around 60fps, but after 15 seconds my fps dropped around 15-20 fps and it holds for 10 seconds. Than i tried lower/rase the setting, even the resolution, but it didn't changed. I tried to repair the game in origin but it doesnt helped. Any suggestions?
PC Specs: Amd FX-8350 4.GHz
8Gb ram 1600MHz
1050Ti 4Gb
P.s. : Sorry for the bad grammar :/

Comments

• Titan_Awaken
    213 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Is the RAM in dual channel or single channel mode? If it's single channel (1x8GB) then that could be the source of your problems. Also, try turning on GPU memory restriction in settings, the could be using more memory than you have, causing drops.

It's still worthy to note that BF1 (and BFV by extension) is a very CPU intensive game so use a monitoring program like Afterburner/Rivatuner and report both your CPU and GPU usages here. That would help immensely.
  • Z-Crashpilot1001
    207 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    That is a well known problem: CPU VRM and/or CPU overheating (>61 Deg.Celsius) and/or too high OC (4,2GHz is the sweetspot). Solve that. Strip windows to the bone with 8Gb of Ram.
  • BigF33t_13
    6541 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    Look at your temps. And the game runs decent with an fx6300 if you know how to set it up. I average 71 fps on a mix of medium and high settings at 1080p. I rarely drop in to the upper 40's. Mostly on scar.
    That is a well known problem: CPU VRM and/or CPU overheating (>61 Deg.Celsius) and/or too high OC (4,2GHz is the sweetspot). Solve that. Strip windows to the bone with 8Gb of Ram.

It won't throttle until 72c
  • Z-Crashpilot1001
    207 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    @BigF33t_13 Yep, I was able to play BF1 quiet OK on my FX6300 @ 4,2 back in the day using DX12.
    Note: The Max - Package Temps are different between FX 63xx and FX 83xx CPUs.
    https://www.amd.com/de/products/cpu/fx-6300 -> 70,5 Deg Celsius
    https://www.amd.com/de/products/cpu/fx-8350 -> 61 Deg Celsius
  • BigF33t_13
    6541 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    It still won't throttle until 70.5. I certainly wouldn't be comfortable over 61. There's got to be something going on for you to have such poor performance. Turn off dx12 if you have it on. I get a lot of stuttering, although it doesn't affect my frame rates. Have you updated you're video drivers recently? First thing I'd try is to uninstall your them with ddu, and try reinstalling them. If that doesn't work, repeat with older drivers.
  • Makipara
    1 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Today i changed the termal compound at the cpu , and changed the ram sticks positions, than the game was playable again, only problem is the temperature, but it is solvable ! Thanks for the help guys!
  • BigF33t_13
    Glad it helped out. If temps are still an issue, try a cheap aftermarket cooler. My 6300 maxes out at 52c at 4.3 ghz. At the 4.2 I run now it maxes out at 48c. I'm using a cheap hyper 212 evo.