Battlefield V is completely insufferable.

2»

Comments

  • VincentNZ
    2675 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    VincentNZ wrote: »
    No It is not. Just like cheating on PC, it is a very marginal group of players. In any case you can not prove it, so it is just a baseless assumption and you should refrain from posting it.
    If modified controllers with built-in cheat macros are popular products which anyone can buy from major retailers, then it would seem to be foolish to believe they aren't being used in BFV.

    Oh they are surely used. I am standing here in astonishment about this mass hysteria, though. These threads pop up on a daily basis now. People experience a dodgy death and instead of blaming themselves, the weapon, the netcode or force majeure, they blame the other player for using Mouse+Keyboard/a macores controller/ cheats on console. It's laughable.
  • Agente_Silva
    158 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    I´m on that runaway train since BF1 for the exact same reasons... It´s nice to see though your plea wasn´t received with "ok bye" or "git gud"... I did get a lot of that back in BF1 launch... let´s just hope EA allows Battlefield to be great again on the next edition :neutral:

    Meanwhile I moved to GTA5 and singleplayer games :wink:

    2 of my Battlefield friends already uninstalled BF4... I still remain but haven´t played much.
  • Mann68heim
    29 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I understand the OP's frustration although there's a bit too much of negativity in it.
     
    Sadly most of the youngsters won't care about your "pain" since they can't relate to the old game design, having a gaming career like you going back to Populous, Sim City etc. means one thing: you're getting older and things are always subject to change (not always for the better).
     
    EA will stay on this path because this is where they make the most money. They were always like this. End of story :neutral:

    I can feel the wind of change with BFV, too. The "old" game design and that feeling you had back then will never come back, so you're left with the decision to adapt or move on to other games.
     
    Playing PUBG for 1.5 years i quit because i hated it for several reasons, now i feel much better.
  • spartanx169x
    698 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Shrediron wrote: »
    The amazingly lazy balance decisions (balancing in a vacuum, not for the entire game).
    The chaotic COD game play.
    The PR stunts and lack of transparency to the community.
    The half truths and lies in marketing.
    The protection of cheaters and shaming of legitimate customers.
    The way customers are played as fools.
    The lack of commitment in understanding your customer/player base.
    Has made Battlefield V completely insufferable.

    I have been trying to understand why I keep playing this game, when EVERY. SINGLE. MATCH is nothing but pure frustration.

    Then it dawned on me. I hate the game play and I dont use hate lightly, but I am hooked on working assignments and leveling, good job on you using classical psychological hooks. However there is no fun in the process, the only fun is the unlock, the reward. But everything leading to that reward is based in frustration.

    I think the art in this game is amazing, the music is top notch, I like the clean UI (you could use a bit more drop shadow on some in game text), I like the variety of guns, enjoy the outfits and ability to tailor your characters but actual in game play is detestable, its an embarrassment to the Battlefield franchise.

    You are not going to retain your core customer base if the game is left in this state, and I seriously doubt you will grow a new customer base to fill the old ones shoes.

    I left Bad Company 2 because of cheaters on PC and I have not played an EA/DICE game until BFV. Sadly for you, most likely my last (I did not even purchase BFV, it came with an RTX 2080).

    You had a chance to create some customers, or restore faith in old ones. You did neither.

    This game fails, you fail. Get your act together or your studio will close. Investors care nothing about you or me, only money and right now BFV is not raking in the customers and its causing what few you do have to leave.

    That being said. I am going to get back in game and try to prove myself wrong, prove my assertions incorrect, prove that my HATE for your company is unfounded. But when I find that I am not incorrect, that my assertions are true and that my hate is well founded because of terrible game play and cheaters galore. I will leave, I will take my wallet and my family with me and none of us will ever touch another game that has EA written on it, EVER AGAIN.


    It saddens me. EA was my favorite game company. Back then I did not know the difference between a publisher and a game studio, I just knew when I saw the old three lettered EA logo that I was in for a treat. Wasteland by Interplay and published by you was my favorite game growing up. I loved Bards Tale, Populous, Ultima, and Wing Commander. Sim City by Maxis was also super fun (although I did not like 3000). Now, when I see your logo my feelings are 180 from those feelings as a child. I feel betrayed, disgusted...let down.

    You had one job....






    Shrediron wrote: »
    The amazingly lazy balance decisions (balancing in a vacuum, not for the entire game).
    The chaotic COD game play.
    The PR stunts and lack of transparency to the community.
    The half truths and lies in marketing.
    The protection of cheaters and shaming of legitimate customers.
    The way customers are played as fools.
    The lack of commitment in understanding your customer/player base.
    Has made Battlefield V completely insufferable.

    I have been trying to understand why I keep playing this game, when EVERY. SINGLE. MATCH is nothing but pure frustration.

    Then it dawned on me. I hate the game play and I dont use hate lightly, but I am hooked on working assignments and leveling, good job on you using classical psychological hooks. However there is no fun in the process, the only fun is the unlock, the reward. But everything leading to that reward is based in frustration.

    I think the art in this game is amazing, the music is top notch, I like the clean UI (you could use a bit more drop shadow on some in game text), I like the variety of guns, enjoy the outfits and ability to tailor your characters but actual in game play is detestable, its an embarrassment to the Battlefield franchise.

    You are not going to retain your core customer base if the game is left in this state, and I seriously doubt you will grow a new customer base to fill the old ones shoes.

    I left Bad Company 2 because of cheaters on PC and I have not played an EA/DICE game until BFV. Sadly for you, most likely my last (I did not even purchase BFV, it came with an RTX 2080).

    You had a chance to create some customers, or restore faith in old ones. You did neither.

    This game fails, you fail. Get your act together or your studio will close. Investors care nothing about you or me, only money and right now BFV is not raking in the customers and its causing what few you do have to leave.

    That being said. I am going to get back in game and try to prove myself wrong, prove my assertions incorrect, prove that my HATE for your company is unfounded. But when I find that I am not incorrect, that my assertions are true and that my hate is well founded because of terrible game play and cheaters galore. I will leave, I will take my wallet and my family with me and none of us will ever touch another game that has EA written on it, EVER AGAIN.


    It saddens me. EA was my favorite game company. Back then I did not know the difference between a publisher and a game studio, I just knew when I saw the old three lettered EA logo that I was in for a treat. Wasteland by Interplay and published by you was my favorite game growing up. I loved Bards Tale, Populous, Ultima, and Wing Commander. Sim City by Maxis was also super fun (although I did not like 3000). Now, when I see your logo my feelings are 180 from those feelings as a child. I feel betrayed, disgusted...let down.

    You had one job....



    Why do you keep playing? I will tell you why. It occurred to me this game is the equivalent of a girlfriend/boyfriend that you date but really don’t like. You date them because in short they are there and you are bored. So you date them as a mere distraction waiting for anything better to come along. You could go back to a previous gf/bf but you already know where that ends up too. The current gf/bf is just there and often you really don’t even want to be bothered . You know, when they ask if you want them to come over and your reply is you don’t care. In reality, you have no interest in them coming over and you would rather watch tv alone or take a nap without them. You just tolerate them.

    That my friend is why you play it is the annoying gf that is just there and convenient. Nothing more.
  • OfficerBOFA
    4 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 11
    Shrediron wrote: »
    Then it dawned on me. I hate the game play and I dont use hate lightly, but I am hooked on working assignments and leveling, good job on you using classical psychological hooks. However there is no fun in the process, the only fun is the unlock, the reward. But everything leading to that reward is based in frustration.
    I feel personally attacked by this statement... because god damn, you hit the nail on the head lol.

  • Shrediron
    205 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Mann68heim wrote: »
    I understand the OP's frustration although there's a bit too much of negativity in it.
     
    Sadly most of the youngsters won't care about your "pain" since they can't relate to the old game design, having a gaming career like you going back to Populous, Sim City etc. means one thing: you're getting older and things are always subject to change (not always for the better).
     
    EA will stay on this path because this is where they make the most money. They were always like this. End of story :neutral:

    I can feel the wind of change with BFV, too. The "old" game design and that feeling you had back then will never come back, so you're left with the decision to adapt or move on to other games.
     
    Playing PUBG for 1.5 years i quit because i hated it for several reasons, now i feel much better.

    I am a designer by trade and I am aware enough to know that some experiences can only be had the first time and even though future ones could be more intense/fun, that there is something unique about that first time. I try to keep that in mind when I am dissecting the issues with a game (I am trained to find creative solutions to problems). I guess my point is that I appreciate your comment, but it has been taken into consideration as I wrote my OP.

    I would also have to disagree with how game companies ran back in the old days vs today. Its a much different market today with the internet. For one thing, game companies HEAVILY abuse the ability to update the game as they see fit. This leads to laziness or design decisions that impact the initial fun (games released too early with little content, bugs etc). In the old days games were done when they shipped, be it disk or console.

    Microtransactions did not exist. So, the game had to be alluring and fun FIRST AND FOREMOST in order to make money, that is not the case today. Now, game companies use psychological hooks in a similar way to casinos to get the player to keep spending money after the initial purchase. So, what happens is that "fun" takes a backseat to making money first. That is the fundamental difference in todays games and why so many of them suck so amazingly bad. At their core, they are not designed to be fun, they are designed to make money, fun is secondary. In the old days the ONLY way to make money was if the game was fun.

    This is why so many people just play indi games these days. They often produce stellar content for a modest price and continue to update it. They are not reliant on appeasing shareholders, their business model is more representative of the old days.

    When I make the claims that I did in my OP, it's for reasons much deeper than I allude to. Frankly I think its sad...but this is what happens when the money man gets his hands on a product. They only care about the bottom line.

    I run my own business and my craft and the customers need are met first, the money comes second. I know that if I keep my clients happy, they will continue to use me and continue to send referrals my way. This is how it should be. Game companies are the only companies in the world who can sell you a junk product while making false claims and get away with it. I hope that changes someday and they are forced to go back into the studio and make games FUN first.
  • Mann68heim
    29 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Shrediron wrote: »
    ..
    Microtransactions did not exist. So, the game had to be alluring and fun FIRST AND FOREMOST in order to make money, that is not the case today. Now, game companies use psychological hooks in a similar way to casinos to get the player to keep spending money after the initial purchase. So, what happens is that "fun" takes a backseat to making money first. That is the fundamental difference in todays games and why so many of them suck so amazingly bad. At their core, they are not designed to be fun, they are designed to make money, fun is secondary. In the old days the ONLY way to make money was if the game was fun.
    ..
     
    Totally agree with that. Moneymaking + pre-sales marketing is obviously the driving force that is getting stronger and stronger in the gaming industry.
  • TheyHaveScissors
    636 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Shrediron wrote: »
    The amazingly lazy balance decisions (balancing in a vacuum, not for the entire game).

    If looking at the vehicles, this is absolutely right. Basic things that we only this month get corrected are telling of the approach of DICE/EA towards this game.
    The chaotic COD game play.
    Spot on. Looking at the very core of this game - the gunmechanics - it's like it's typically made to copy the CoD-gameplay. Minimal recoil (which can be almost eliminated with the silly perks) and no sway.... turning many weapons into laserrifles.. it really shows. It's SO BORING.
  • Santini3
    45 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Shrediron wrote: »
    The amazingly lazy balance decisions (balancing in a vacuum, not for the entire game).

    If looking at the vehicles, this is absolutely right. Basic things that we only this month get corrected are telling of the approach of DICE/EA towards this game.
    The chaotic COD game play.
    Spot on. Looking at the very core of this game - the gunmechanics - it's like it's typically made to copy the CoD-gameplay. Minimal recoil (which can be almost eliminated with the silly perks) and no sway.... turning many weapons into laserrifles.. it really shows. It's SO BORING.

    Agree with the 1st half not with the 2nd. The gun-play is nothing like COD with its much longer TTK. I personally like the gunplay where it's at and I refuse to buy CoD these days. Also, most fully-auto guns have a decent amount of recoil but there are the "go-to" weapons that everyone uses because they have little recoil. The game could probably use as general buff to the amount of recoil.
  • Shrediron
    205 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Mann68heim wrote: »
    Shrediron wrote: »
    ..
    Microtransactions did not exist. So, the game had to be alluring and fun FIRST AND FOREMOST in order to make money, that is not the case today. Now, game companies use psychological hooks in a similar way to casinos to get the player to keep spending money after the initial purchase. So, what happens is that "fun" takes a backseat to making money first. That is the fundamental difference in todays games and why so many of them suck so amazingly bad. At their core, they are not designed to be fun, they are designed to make money, fun is secondary. In the old days the ONLY way to make money was if the game was fun.
    ..
     
    Totally agree with that. Moneymaking + pre-sales marketing is obviously the driving force that is getting stronger and stronger in the gaming industry.

    Yep! I am not really one for too many laws or regulations, but I think something needs to be done about game companies who promise ABC, but deliver XYZ. Laziness or lack of a strong roadmap should not be excuses to make changes as time goes on because they went over budget. I have an idea, how about spending less time on social media and more time working on the game. How about making realistic promises that can be met and make the best of it vs promising the world and delivering a sand castle. How about hiring good designers instead of non-merited hiring (WAY too much nepotism in the media industry).

    I complain because I care. But, after this recent announcement about visibility and glowing players, I am losing interest.

    Dice should be concerned. My love for the game that turned into hate has once again morphed into apathy. When a person becomes apathetic in this case, the game company loses on all fronts. They dont even have a passionate player giving them negative feedback anymore.

    I logged in tonight, played a round. I say played loosely, I did not really care to be in game. I think I am done.
  • Astr0damus
    2901 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    As sucky as it is at times... I just feel like in the future, like Battlefield 8, we will have commercials between games and we will say "Remember how cool BF V was? No commercials!"
    ---
    In the 80's, we had about 8 channels on TV, then you had the option to pay for cable.
    The draw for cable was "You pay for it, but you don't have to sit through commercials" (some of us are old enough to remember why we switched to cable), the 8 channels were "free" because you "paid" by suffering through Pepsi commercials. But at some point, while we were sleeping, they snuck commercials into cable/satellite, so now, you PAY for cable AND you have to sit through commercials. Can anyone else remember this?
    ----
    This is why I think now that lootboxes are gone (at least for now), eventually, we will have to suffer through commercials while sitting in a lobby. Even "Free TV" as well as cable/satellite have tiny commercials in a quadrant of the screen during live events! It's ridiculous... the World Series and those stupid T-Mobile commercials during a pitching change or what-not.. I couldn't believe it.
    If Joe "make a quick" Buck thinks he can fit in a 15 second commercial between pitches, he will.
  • Ernie_Shavers
    131 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Shrediron wrote: »
    The amazingly lazy balance decisions (balancing in a vacuum, not for the entire game).

    The PR stunts and lack of transparency to the community.
    The half truths and lies in marketing.
    The protection of cheaters and shaming of legitimate customers.
    The way customers are played as fools.
    The lack of commitment in understanding your customer/player base.

    Those points are very important and 100% accurate especially the last one. You've highlighted what is essentially a thoughtless, lazy & out of touch approach by a company that seems detached from their core player base.

    Great post!
  • Astr0damus
    2901 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Shrediron wrote: »
    Mann68heim wrote: »
    I understand the OP's frustration although there's a bit too much of negativity in it.
     
    Sadly most of the youngsters won't care about your "pain" since they can't relate to the old game design, having a gaming career like you going back to Populous, Sim City etc. means one thing: you're getting older and things are always subject to change (not always for the better).
     
    EA will stay on this path because this is where they make the most money. They were always like this. End of story :neutral:

    I can feel the wind of change with BFV, too. The "old" game design and that feeling you had back then will never come back, so you're left with the decision to adapt or move on to other games.
     
    Playing PUBG for 1.5 years i quit because i hated it for several reasons, now i feel much better.

    I am a designer by trade and I am aware enough to know that some experiences can only be had the first time and even though future ones could be more intense/fun, that there is something unique about that first time. I try to keep that in mind when I am dissecting the issues with a game (I am trained to find creative solutions to problems). I guess my point is that I appreciate your comment, but it has been taken into consideration as I wrote my OP.

    I would also have to disagree with how game companies ran back in the old days vs today. Its a much different market today with the internet. For one thing, game companies HEAVILY abuse the ability to update the game as they see fit. This leads to laziness or design decisions that impact the initial fun (games released too early with little content, bugs etc). In the old days games were done when they shipped, be it disk or console.

    Microtransactions did not exist. So, the game had to be alluring and fun FIRST AND FOREMOST in order to make money, that is not the case today. Now, game companies use psychological hooks in a similar way to casinos to get the player to keep spending money after the initial purchase. So, what happens is that "fun" takes a backseat to making money first. That is the fundamental difference in todays games and why so many of them suck so amazingly bad. At their core, they are not designed to be fun, they are designed to make money, fun is secondary. In the old days the ONLY way to make money was if the game was fun.

    This is why so many people just play indi games these days. They often produce stellar content for a modest price and continue to update it. They are not reliant on appeasing shareholders, their business model is more representative of the old days.

    When I make the claims that I did in my OP, it's for reasons much deeper than I allude to. Frankly I think its sad...but this is what happens when the money man gets his hands on a product. They only care about the bottom line.

    I run my own business and my craft and the customers need are met first, the money comes second. I know that if I keep my clients happy, they will continue to use me and continue to send referrals my way. This is how it should be. Game companies are the only companies in the world who can sell you a junk product while making false claims and get away with it. I hope that changes someday and they are forced to go back into the studio and make games FUN first.

    You mentioned "indi" games, and you make a point, but they always sell out (to someone like EA), if DICE didn't need EA, they would be a ton better. Remember back in the day how bands first album was always their best? Then some major record label picked them up and "changed them" to either appeal to females (When Motley Crue went from Red/Black to Neon to keep up with "Poison" and other bands that were going neon and getting the teenage-female money, which was apparently why Def Leppard did so well, same with Ratt, they came out of the cellar and went straight to making everything a "love" ballad.) But as I was thinking about this phenomenon (why first albums are typically a band's best work) it dawned on me that it's because they spent 10 years playing out of a garage and small venues with those same 12 songs, then when they finally produced an album, it was polished and was born out of true grit and angst. But it's hard to feel sorry for Eric Clapton singing about being poor, when you realize he is filthy rich--same with Pink Floyd and "Money" (But if you ask for a rise it's no surprise that Pink Floyd was giving none away... away... away). The Beatles too.. "Can't buy me love" (dissing on money was big money back in the day) but now I'm getting off track.
    ---
    To your point, indi games are fun because they are polished and took time to develop--but as I said, all good things come to an end and eventually they sell out.
    Funny, I don't recall a single bug from BF2: Modern Combat. It was fun.. you could go into their home spawn and put AT Mines in front of empty vehicles and wait for people to spawn and kill them instantly.. yet somehow it worked... I remember you could even "TK", remember that? Team killers? People with -500 points, some people just didn't care about their score.. now you have people buying three PS4's so they can top the leaderboards. I wasn't even aware of leaderboards back in BF2: Modern Combat.
    I don't know what the answer is...
    ---
    Last point--Metallica was able to find their old sound again, (Death Magnetic?) and suddenly they started making gold albums again. Perhaps Battlefield will do the same-- "Find their old sound".. the one that made them famous... and hella-fun.
    I do hope you stick around though--in some capacity. Even if only on the forums.
  • Shrediron
    205 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Astr0damus wrote: »
    Shrediron wrote: »
    Mann68heim wrote: »
    I understand the OP's frustration although there's a bit too much of negativity in it.
     
    Sadly most of the youngsters won't care about your "pain" since they can't relate to the old game design, having a gaming career like you going back to Populous, Sim City etc. means one thing: you're getting older and things are always subject to change (not always for the better).
     
    EA will stay on this path because this is where they make the most money. They were always like this. End of story :neutral:

    I can feel the wind of change with BFV, too. The "old" game design and that feeling you had back then will never come back, so you're left with the decision to adapt or move on to other games.
     
    Playing PUBG for 1.5 years i quit because i hated it for several reasons, now i feel much better.

    I am a designer by trade and I am aware enough to know that some experiences can only be had the first time and even though future ones could be more intense/fun, that there is something unique about that first time. I try to keep that in mind when I am dissecting the issues with a game (I am trained to find creative solutions to problems). I guess my point is that I appreciate your comment, but it has been taken into consideration as I wrote my OP.

    I would also have to disagree with how game companies ran back in the old days vs today. Its a much different market today with the internet. For one thing, game companies HEAVILY abuse the ability to update the game as they see fit. This leads to laziness or design decisions that impact the initial fun (games released too early with little content, bugs etc). In the old days games were done when they shipped, be it disk or console.

    Microtransactions did not exist. So, the game had to be alluring and fun FIRST AND FOREMOST in order to make money, that is not the case today. Now, game companies use psychological hooks in a similar way to casinos to get the player to keep spending money after the initial purchase. So, what happens is that "fun" takes a backseat to making money first. That is the fundamental difference in todays games and why so many of them suck so amazingly bad. At their core, they are not designed to be fun, they are designed to make money, fun is secondary. In the old days the ONLY way to make money was if the game was fun.

    This is why so many people just play indi games these days. They often produce stellar content for a modest price and continue to update it. They are not reliant on appeasing shareholders, their business model is more representative of the old days.

    When I make the claims that I did in my OP, it's for reasons much deeper than I allude to. Frankly I think its sad...but this is what happens when the money man gets his hands on a product. They only care about the bottom line.

    I run my own business and my craft and the customers need are met first, the money comes second. I know that if I keep my clients happy, they will continue to use me and continue to send referrals my way. This is how it should be. Game companies are the only companies in the world who can sell you a junk product while making false claims and get away with it. I hope that changes someday and they are forced to go back into the studio and make games FUN first.

    You mentioned "indi" games, and you make a point, but they always sell out (to someone like EA), if DICE didn't need EA, they would be a ton better. Remember back in the day how bands first album was always their best? Then some major record label picked them up and "changed them" to either appeal to females (When Motley Crue went from Red/Black to Neon to keep up with "Poison" and other bands that were going neon and getting the teenage-female money, which was apparently why Def Leppard did so well, same with Ratt, they came out of the cellar and went straight to making everything a "love" ballad.) But as I was thinking about this phenomenon (why first albums are typically a band's best work) it dawned on me that it's because they spent 10 years playing out of a garage and small venues with those same 12 songs, then when they finally produced an album, it was polished and was born out of true grit and angst. But it's hard to feel sorry for Eric Clapton singing about being poor, when you realize he is filthy rich--same with Pink Floyd and "Money" (But if you ask for a rise it's no surprise that Pink Floyd was giving none away... away... away). The Beatles too.. "Can't buy me love" (dissing on money was big money back in the day) but now I'm getting off track.
    ---
    To your point, indi games are fun because they are polished and took time to develop--but as I said, all good things come to an end and eventually they sell out.
    Funny, I don't recall a single bug from BF2: Modern Combat. It was fun.. you could go into their home spawn and put AT Mines in front of empty vehicles and wait for people to spawn and kill them instantly.. yet somehow it worked... I remember you could even "TK", remember that? Team killers? People with -500 points, some people just didn't care about their score.. now you have people buying three PS4's so they can top the leaderboards. I wasn't even aware of leaderboards back in BF2: Modern Combat.
    I don't know what the answer is...
    ---
    Last point--Metallica was able to find their old sound again, (Death Magnetic?) and suddenly they started making gold albums again. Perhaps Battlefield will do the same-- "Find their old sound".. the one that made them famous... and hella-fun.
    I do hope you stick around though--in some capacity. Even if only on the forums.

    I dunna, I quite liked Theater of Pain, although Too Fast For Love & On With the Show have a place in my heart....but Louder than Hell and Save Our Souls just make me move.
    Def Leppard died after Pyromania imo. Metallica was good in Justice...but you could already see things turning in that album, after than meh. Journey was best with Perry with their 4th album Infinity, 5th Evolution, and 6th Departure/Dream, After Dream (same year). I thought Duran Duran's 3rd album, Seven and the Ragged Tiger was their best (sans Reflex). AC/DC is like fine wine, get better and better but that is omitting the amazingness that was Bon Scott because everything he made was timeless and will be rocked to until the end of the Earth. I think the most recent album from Muse "Simulation Theory" is one of their best yet 19 years after their first album.

    The Go'Go's by far best album was Beauty and the Beat (their first album), but ABBA was good for their first 4 albums. Every one had a chart topper that still makes me dance to this day. I liked Fight the World from Man O' War, but that was about it for them. I liked Bruce **** Maiden the most.

    My favorite from Kiss was Destroyer and Love Gun. Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness was my favorite from the Smashing Pumpkins, but that entire album is just packed with gems, and the Aeroplane Box set (B sides from the Mellon Collie sessions) just makes it that much better. The Aeroplane Flies High, and Marquis In Spades are just crazy good.

    I love just about everything Beck puts out. Trome Le Monde (their 4th) was my favorite from the Pixies, I mean Motorway to Roswell still makes me tear up. Badmotorfinger/SOMMS was my favorite from Soundgarden (rip Chris). No DOUBT (no, not No Doubt) Bleach was Nirvana's best. Nevermind was too polished. Pink Floyd Dark Side and the Wall are my favorites...I dunna, maybe you are on to something. I seem to like the studios sound of bands, not their raw sound.

    Anyway, I do get your point. But imo Dice sweden is DOA. They are the game version of Millie Vanillie.
  • Shrediron
    205 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Astr0damus wrote: »
    Shrediron wrote: »
    Mann68heim wrote: »
    I understand the OP's frustration although there's a bit too much of negativity in it.
     
    Sadly most of the youngsters won't care about your "pain" since they can't relate to the old game design, having a gaming career like you going back to Populous, Sim City etc. means one thing: you're getting older and things are always subject to change (not always for the better).
     
    EA will stay on this path because this is where they make the most money. They were always like this. End of story :neutral:

    I can feel the wind of change with BFV, too. The "old" game design and that feeling you had back then will never come back, so you're left with the decision to adapt or move on to other games.
     
    Playing PUBG for 1.5 years i quit because i hated it for several reasons, now i feel much better.

    I am a designer by trade and I am aware enough to know that some experiences can only be had the first time and even though future ones could be more intense/fun, that there is something unique about that first time. I try to keep that in mind when I am dissecting the issues with a game (I am trained to find creative solutions to problems). I guess my point is that I appreciate your comment, but it has been taken into consideration as I wrote my OP.

    I would also have to disagree with how game companies ran back in the old days vs today. Its a much different market today with the internet. For one thing, game companies HEAVILY abuse the ability to update the game as they see fit. This leads to laziness or design decisions that impact the initial fun (games released too early with little content, bugs etc). In the old days games were done when they shipped, be it disk or console.

    Microtransactions did not exist. So, the game had to be alluring and fun FIRST AND FOREMOST in order to make money, that is not the case today. Now, game companies use psychological hooks in a similar way to casinos to get the player to keep spending money after the initial purchase. So, what happens is that "fun" takes a backseat to making money first. That is the fundamental difference in todays games and why so many of them suck so amazingly bad. At their core, they are not designed to be fun, they are designed to make money, fun is secondary. In the old days the ONLY way to make money was if the game was fun.

    This is why so many people just play indi games these days. They often produce stellar content for a modest price and continue to update it. They are not reliant on appeasing shareholders, their business model is more representative of the old days.

    When I make the claims that I did in my OP, it's for reasons much deeper than I allude to. Frankly I think its sad...but this is what happens when the money man gets his hands on a product. They only care about the bottom line.

    I run my own business and my craft and the customers need are met first, the money comes second. I know that if I keep my clients happy, they will continue to use me and continue to send referrals my way. This is how it should be. Game companies are the only companies in the world who can sell you a junk product while making false claims and get away with it. I hope that changes someday and they are forced to go back into the studio and make games FUN first.

    You mentioned "indi" games, and you make a point, but they always sell out (to someone like EA), if DICE didn't need EA, they would be a ton better. Remember back in the day how bands first album was always their best? Then some major record label picked them up and "changed them" to either appeal to females (When Motley Crue went from Red/Black to Neon to keep up with "Poison" and other bands that were going neon and getting the teenage-female money, which was apparently why Def Leppard did so well, same with Ratt, they came out of the cellar and went straight to making everything a "love" ballad.) But as I was thinking about this phenomenon (why first albums are typically a band's best work) it dawned on me that it's because they spent 10 years playing out of a garage and small venues with those same 12 songs, then when they finally produced an album, it was polished and was born out of true grit and angst. But it's hard to feel sorry for Eric Clapton singing about being poor, when you realize he is filthy rich--same with Pink Floyd and "Money" (But if you ask for a rise it's no surprise that Pink Floyd was giving none away... away... away). The Beatles too.. "Can't buy me love" (dissing on money was big money back in the day) but now I'm getting off track.
    ---
    To your point, indi games are fun because they are polished and took time to develop--but as I said, all good things come to an end and eventually they sell out.
    Funny, I don't recall a single bug from BF2: Modern Combat. It was fun.. you could go into their home spawn and put AT Mines in front of empty vehicles and wait for people to spawn and kill them instantly.. yet somehow it worked... I remember you could even "TK", remember that? Team killers? People with -500 points, some people just didn't care about their score.. now you have people buying three PS4's so they can top the leaderboards. I wasn't even aware of leaderboards back in BF2: Modern Combat.
    I don't know what the answer is...
    ---
    Last point--Metallica was able to find their old sound again, (Death Magnetic?) and suddenly they started making gold albums again. Perhaps Battlefield will do the same-- "Find their old sound".. the one that made them famous... and hella-fun.
    I do hope you stick around though--in some capacity. Even if only on the forums.

    Ohh, and thank you for asking me to stick around. Unfortunately once I find something to replace this game, I doubt I will be back. Games I stop playing because of issues are no different than X-girlfriends and by that I mean once I move on, I move on for good.

    I have my sights set on Hytale, a minecraft meets wow kinda game. Its completely different from this game, slower, allows you to exercise creative muscles (important to me), but their beta is I am guessing 5 months off. They have some heavy backers and because it comes from the largest server community for minecraft, it looks like its made out of straight passion and love for the craft, just like the old days. I can get behind that.

  • DocCuda418
    155 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    BF4 is solid. That video card of yours could handle BF4 maxed out at 4K easy. Stick with ranked servers and favorite ones that tend to have admins on. Cheater remain in check. It was a hot mess on release no doubt but its a solid game now. Many times its on sale for $10-20.
  • Triplexbee1943
    20 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Nailed it.

    My love has turned to hate. Game is now deleted. I may reinstall when I start reading good things about improvements. Won't be holding my breath.
Sign In or Register to comment.