Thoughts after finishing the masteries on the worst gun in the game....

naitch44
666 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
Before I start, let me tell you this thing is hot garbage, and I mean utter and complete garbage. Which gun is it you ask?

Step forward the M1897.

Words cannot describe how bad this thing is, it has multiple issues that I can't get my head around, it should be lethal in close quarters when it actually seems to be more based around luck than skill to kill. Obviously you have to position yourself in the kill zone, so it takes some manoeuvring to get in behind but even then you're putting your balls on the line because it's RNG whether your shots are going to be pellets or marshmallows.

The 3rd mastery is kill 60 people while attacking an objective, good luck with that.

The bad
- Everything ... including
- Its range, its absolutely woeful. You can put three shots into someone inside 5 metres and only do 60 damage.
- Its ROF isn't high enough considering its shots are completely random whether they will do damage
- Its so unbelievably situational that you have to be in the perfect place and fire the perfect shot to get a kill
- Its random and more based around luck when you actually kill something

The good
- The warm fuzzy feeling inside that if you do kill someone with this POS that you are undoubtedly using the inferior weapon

If you want to really challenge yourself in the game, or just straight up feel like getting wound up spec this piece of garbage, I not only admire your willingness to challenge yourself but I equally feel your incoming pain. At least the novelty pistol is exactly that, a novelty, its supposed to be a joke, this thing is a joke when it shouldn't be.

TLDR - do not, under any circumstances spec this gun unless you want to seriously gimp yourself, its without a doubt the worst gun in the game and by some margin.

Comments

• n7k6k5w9jp0
    358 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Agreed. I tried using it as the battle had turned mostly CQB in the town in the middle of...Arras (can't remember the name of the maps sorry) and this gun seemed like the ideal candidate.

Bearing in mind I have a soft spot for UP, quirky guns I absolutely despised this thing.
  • M_Rat13
    449 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Tip:
    1) Equip bayonet
    2) Charge!
    3) Profit
    4) Cackle with glee
  • naitch44
    666 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    M_Rat13 wrote: »
    Tip:
    1) Equip bayonet
    2) Charge!
    3) Profit
    4) Cackle with glee

Like your style!
  • SirTerrible
    1377 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I've barely used it and for good reason. Feels like the one hit kill rate up close is like 50%, and the firing rate is not good so you better hope you're up against a potato so you can land the 2nd shot before you die. Quite honestly I'd rather use the magnum handgun and try to go for one shot headshots, at least follow up shots are quick.
  • xx_Dante2k_xx
    615 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    naitch44 wrote: »
    Before I start, let me tell you this thing is hot garbage, and I mean utter and complete garbage. Which gun is it you ask?

Step forward the M1897.

Words cannot describe how bad this thing is, it has multiple issues that I can't get my head around, it should be lethal in close quarters when it actually seems to be more based around luck than skill to kill. Obviously you have to position yourself in the kill zone, so it takes some manoeuvring to get in behind but even then you're putting your balls on the line because it's RNG whether your shots are going to be pellets or marshmallows.

The 3rd mastery is kill 60 people while attacking an objective, good luck with that.

The bad
    - Its range, its absolutely woeful. You can put three shots into someone inside 5 metres and only do 60 damage.
    - Its ROF isn't high enough considering its shots are completely random whether they will do damage
    - Its so unbelievably situational that you have to be in the perfect place and fire the perfect shot to get a kill

The good
    - The warm fuzzy feeling inside that if you do kill someone with this POS that you are undoubtedly using the inferior weapon

If you want to really challenge yourself in the game, or just straight up feel like getting wound up spec this piece of garbage, I not only admire your willingness to challenge yourself but I equally feel your incoming pain. At least the novelty pistol is exactly that, a novelty, its supposed to be a joke, this thing is a joke when it shouldn't be.

TLDR - do not, under any circumstances spec this gun unless you want to seriously gimp yourself, its without a doubt the worst gun in the game and by some margin.

Not good, I was looking forward to doing the gold skin challanges on this gun. Couple questions. Is it any better with slugs and is it worse than the 12g ? Cheers 👍
  • LinkZeppeloyd
    648 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I've barely used it and for good reason. Feels like the one hit kill rate up close is like 50%, and the firing rate is not good so you better hope you're up against a potato so you can land the 2nd shot before you die. Quite honestly I'd rather use the magnum handgun and try to go for one shot headshots, at least follow up shots are quick.

This community whines and cries constantly about the “low ttk.”

You think they’ll still their wailing if there was a OHK shotgun in the mix?
  • Chubzdoomer
    1390 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    What's the best mode for the ridiculous last-level Masteries for weapons? Frontlines (on Hamada)?
  • StealthAria
    124 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

Step forward the M1897.

The bad

The good

Not good, I was looking forward to doing the gold skin challanges on this gun. Couple questions. Is it any better with slugs and is it worse than the 12g ? Cheers 👍

About the same as the 12g, they seem to both use the same damage model and everything. The only differences seem to be how quickly you can get the follow-up off and the actual pellet spread.
    The 12g has a wider spread which makes it more reliable but also hurts its OHK range, the 1897 has a tighter spread and thus a longer OHK range but is also less reliable because of how shotguns work.

Switching to slugs helps, but hurts more than it helps. You won't get those low damage hits at close quarters, but because you still have the same spread you might miss entirely instead. They also cut into your OHK range unless you can score a headshot.

Simply popping into ADS before pulling the trigger makes any shotgun significantly more reliable than simply firing from the hip. I personally am having trouble with the M30's hip-fire challenges for that very reason, the pellet distribution is extremely tight but still a spread so I'm frequently getting low damage hits from close range as it barely grazes the target with both barrels.
  • PixelSquish
    220 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 12
    What's the best mode for the ridiculous last-level Masteries for weapons? Frontlines (on Hamada)?

Depends on the weapon. For the SMG's I played a lot of Domination on Rotterdam and Aerodrome. Particularly both flag B's on those are great for the 60 kills while attacking objective assignment this thread is about. I finished my TOmmy Gun assignment doing that relatively quickly actually. I golded the MP40, Sten, ZK, MP28 and Tommy gun using those maps and modes.
  • Astr0damus
    2727 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

Step forward the M1897.

The bad

The good

tl;dr:
    If you feel your K/D is a little too high at the moment, whip out the M1897 and bring it back down to a respectable level.
  • SirTerrible
    1377 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

With the average engagement distance in BFV seemingly being longer than in the last few games even the Model 10 from BF1 pre-nerf would probably feel balanced lol.
  • Halcyon_Creed_N7
    1132 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

Wouldn't low TTK games be perfect for having OHK? Isn't this why the weapon sucks, because it can't keep up with other guns?

Sounds like you just want a reason to hate on some players, 'cause you threw logic out the window.
  • LinkZeppeloyd
    648 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

Wouldn't low TTK games be perfect for having OHK? Isn't this why the weapon sucks, because it can't keep up with other guns?

Sounds like you just want a reason to hate on some players, 'cause you threw logic out the window.

They say low is bad. OHK is lower than low, therefore worse, no?
  • Noromiz
    270 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    It would probably be better if you could slamfire it like it could in real life, and in BF1 iirc.

Not that it would fix the issue all shotguns have with the 100 % RNG based damage, though the Drilling is a bit more reliable than the M1897 :(
    I really hope DICE makes them a bit more reliable.
  • DALLAS-ak-PEIPER
    434 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member

Step forward the M1897.

The bad

The good

LOL, it was one of my fav gun in BF1 and it still is. It s probably the way you play caus i had good times doing the golden assignments.
  • naitch44
    edited February 12
    I’m sure some people consider taking a red hot poker up the rear good times as well.
  • xx_Dante2k_xx
    615 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I've done the 12g Gold assignments and thought it was OK. It's very inconsistent but personally I thought it was better with slugs.
    The final mastery assignment is definitely the easiest of all the weapons though. Get 4 kills without leaving objective area= Cake. 😆
  • Gravlar_SN9
    267 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Once I got it spec’d up I felt the M1897 was ok, the 12g was just pure garbage.

The only viable shotgun at the min is the M30 Drilling. Just got to be wary of overcommiting and blowing your load with people still standing.
  • Bumstag1
    57 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Try the Model 8. I have every single gun completely golden and I guarantee it being the worst of the worst.
  • full951
    2119 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    has anyone seen the shotgun spread pattern in Apex Legends?

imo that's how it should be done in BF

5 point star of death. exactly the same spread pattern every time. it's tight and small up close and spreads larger over distance. due to the nature of the pattern it performs consistently