Struggling with MMG’s....any advice?

sbvaughn88
153 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
edited February 11
So first off I really like the idea of MMG’s and in other Battlefield games I was definitely what you could call a “dolphin diver” or “belly flopper” ready to Superman at a moments notice to post up and whack some enemies. But in this game, I’m severely struggling to find my groove with the bipod machine guns.

It seems like I don’t have the range I need with optics to counter people at long distance, and at short to medium distance it seems like I’m dead by the MAS44’s and Gewehr 43’s, and Turners before I can get the bipod situated. Right now they are my lowest kill per minute weapons because I spend more time on the ground and in the spawn menus than playing. I’m struggling with the fact that I can only effectively fire them on the ground and as a result I never play with them...yet I find myself getting wrecked by the new “Shredder M1922” more often than I want to admit.

....so I’ve tried thinking about where I get killed by people using these guns, and tried to go there with little luck.

Then I’ve seen clips of YouTubers racking up dozens of kills with them and I’m like “how is this possible?”

So for those of you out there with Gold MG42’s...what am I missing? I really want to start enjoying this style and weapon class.

What is the key to the strategy behind being really effective?

Comments

• SWCC9517
    64 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I spend as much time prone as I can, every time I stop I'm sliding into prone.
  • fragnstein
    169 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Run around crouched and look for rocks or obstacles you can bipod on without having to prone everytime
  • sbvaughn88
    153 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    so It might be that easy? Seems to solve the mobility problem inherent with the class. I’ll give these a try tonight when I get on. Thx guys
  • GrimeySix
    119 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    For me it's all about positioning yourself in an ideal vantage point. I have more luck going prone, or even better on your back prone. I've tried resting on objects, but when you move with a target, the bipod can sort of break loose and you are suddenly shooting a Klobb.

Long range engagements can be tricky sometimes, but try to approach it as trying to suppress first and kill second. A good shooter with a MAS44 or Gewehr 43 is formidable at range, you have to hope to overwhelm them with suppression before they can land the kill shot.

MG34 was good for me, MG42 even better. I like to emphasize the specializations that limit recoil and give you extend clip/belt. I'm not shy burning ammo, no one should be, these things are suppression machines.
  • sbvaughn88
    Ok, played with the M1922 MMG for a while tonight. I did better than I have previously but still got sniped a lot. I can get kills with it but I feel like I’m giving up my biggest asset which is mobility. I’m going to continue trying to find this vantage points and I like what Grimey Six said about the specializations...I hadn’t had them set up that way.

Tonight I was getting good kills just dying a lot in the process. What sight are you guys running for best results? AA sights? Thanks for the responses
  • full951
    1929 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    walls and even broken cover about "knee height" can be bi poded. random. rocks and short poles too. give the terrain a good look over for Anything you can bipod on
  • ElliotLH
    4869 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I stayed away from MMGs for the most part until I unlocked the M1922 as I always felt a bit handicapped and don't really like going prone. However after unlocking the new gun I've been playing around and have found that I do OK if I position myself well and try and mix in with team mates so I don't stick out as much. As others have already said I still rarely go prone unless there isn't a rock I can balance the bipod on and I try not to be static as much as possible so change positions when it gets to "hot". That said I still expect to be sniped in the head at some point purely as the recon class is a good counter to MMGs (I usually prioritise MMG users when I'm sniping too) haha.
    What sight are you guys running

The red dot x1 sight usually. Probably because I use that on most of my guns and get on with it alright other than anything else.
  • lionking7001
    200 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    1 Find a doorway where you expect people to come in.

2 Lay down in some sort of cover or dark corner.

3 Camp.

This should do it. I haven't used MMGs until resent event to unlock the weapon an was surprised how powerful an accurate it was.
  • ScottysDemise
    13 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    MMG's are great weapons. Try to set up in a pathway that will see high traffic and stay out of sight. When the enemy team rolls around the corner, let it rip and drop all of them. Personally, I wasn't a big fan of them until I got the MG42, which is just a beast of a weapon. The new M1922 is really good as well. A very close second to the MG42. On certain maps, they can be very useful. I will set up on Hamada and start to counter snipe as much as I can, or suppress the enemy advancement as much as possible. As far as sights go, I use AA sights on everything I can. Gives a nice open FOV as well as a very good crosshair.
  • skins4ever21
    198 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Get good :)

J/K just seems like that's the cool thing to say these days. I actually despise them with a passion despite being pretty darn good with them. My advice if you're trying to complete assignments is stick to maps like devastation and hide out in the church and let guys come to you. I'm more of a run and gun guy so using them is a lot different. I've got to a point I'm moderately aggressive with them but I think they're best used when you can set up shot in an area you know will get a lot of traffic. Only MMG I don't have gold yet is the 1922 which I just started. Don't use optics use the standard site as it has the most zoom which is needed for those longer shots. Biggest thing is just being fully aware you have a gun that doesn't really allow you to move around a ton where you may come up on somebody. If moving from 1 area to another for action try always taking the road less traveled to get there.
  • sbvaughn88
    edited February 13
    Great points. Camping and sitting still is not in my nature either which might be where my trouble started. I’m determined to learn this play style...appreciate the tips.
  • georgeanzelon
    52 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I went through some mjch frustration just to unlock the new MMG and i think i ha e used it twice . I have seen some people tear up the scorebaord with it but I just cant seem to find the tactics required and end up just going back to my bren or lewis gun.
  • sbvaughn88
    Guys I have played it for 2 nights and I’m starting to get much better, the specializations were huge and I had a couple of great games where I got over 30 kills and held about a 3 k/d while running the M1922 and MG42. I still felt like I played bad I guess because I hate sitting still and getting sniped....but when I checked the score I had a lot more kills than I thought I did. Just a very new play style for me.

Thanks for the tips everyone.
  • lionking7001
    200 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    @sbvaughn88 Agree, it feels strange to camp and gain on it. I also experienced the same thing the other day. More like 3.0 K/D than my normal 1.2 when trying to help my team win.
  • sbvaughn88
    It’s a weird feeling and it doesn’t feel like I am “playing” well. Seems like I’ll get into position, kill 3 guys and then my act is burned and I try to get away but can’t run from a sniper round. I even started going and trying to get 2 kills then move but that didn’t work. I think a lot boils down to your aim and killing ppl before they have time to find you and fire on you.

What did work was playing breakthrough with some medics in my squad, they would smoke out a choke point which would let me get into position, then catch a lot of enemies coming from B to A on the last sector of Fjell.
  • Aflag666
    121 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I like the MMG insertion to BFV. Most of us have conditioned ourselves not to camp, but BF is a game where camping is a must at times, and the MMG fits the role perfectly. Captruing and defending create scenarios where it is beneficial to the team to have people staying put, covering positions of egress or exit. And there is nothing better for this than the MMG. With this no shoulder firing addition, I am seeing people doing exactly what I feel they should; setting up and covering positions, chokepoints, ect until the team needs to move, or the opposite team gets tired of them and concetrates their fire on the positions. Along with this, we are seeing new squad and team strategies evolve. Things like.......What did work was playing breakthrough with some medics in my squad, they would smoke out a choke point which would let me get into position, then catch a lot of enemies coming from B to A on the last sector of Fjell.....quoted from @sbvaughn88. I know for a lot of us it's hard to accept any form of "camping". But at the end of the day, that is exactly what the MMG is best for, and game modes like Breakthrough and Frontlines really allow for these to shine with their more linear mao setups. I grabbed the MG34 for last week's challenge. Up to then, I have been using that greasy Lewis gun as I am constantly moving. At first I felt a bit greasy myself sliding into postion and mowing down people trying to advance. But I also realized that I was really contributing to the team's overall needs by being in my position. Not only was I taking down players, but each time the other team would start throwing tons of fire my way which meant they were not shooting at the medics, asssault players, or snipers doing their thing. Sure once this happened I was quickly taken out, but the seconds that I was up, were seconds gained for the team. I've had a whole different perspective since then. And I've had to admit that there is asolutely nothing wrong with camping strategically in objective based game modes. Would I do thin on TDM or even Squad Conquest? No, as that is the type of camping I think is a bit cheesy. But I am starting to get comfortable playing at a slower pace, and even setting up for a bit when I use an MMG in capture game modes.
  • sbvaughn88
    Great points @Aflag666 and this is pretty much the conclusion that I’ve been coming to...but there are lots of considerations or thing I’m learning that make this style more effective. We generally think of “camping” being a very low skill activity while I believe doing well with the mmg’s Is actually a high skill activity because you have to think a lot more about your positioning to be effective. Here’s a few things I’ve learned so far.

-with the MMG’s you have got to be there first. If your trying to setup and an enemy sees you trying to setup, your most likely dead. So the smoke really allowed me some cover to get into position. I laid down on the right side rocks and darn near killed 25 of them in a row in that match on Fjell with a constant barrage of fire before they eventually came in 6 deep and I just couldn’t possibly shoot and down them all.

-Positions out in the open are only good for a few kills at most. The enemy will see you and hear you and a sniper will kill you very quickly.

-Posting up with cover like rocks, or building around your body protects your sides and back while you focus on a funnel of fire. Again get a few kills and leave.

-A couple of times I’ve been able to get into a position where large amounts of the enemy team are advancing forward at once. Fjell, Devastation, Rotterdam, etc. and during all the chaos I was able to kill many players all at once before being killed. I think this was because of the confusion, the snipers being held at bay by other players on my team around me, and the fact that I was there first to get the first shots on anyone I could see come through the choke point.

-and of course the medic thing was huge. We also had a sniper who was doing a great job of spotting. When these came together it was like magic.

These reasons are why I think you are right that strategic camping is/can be a huge benefit to the team.

...man if they would only let support players have the choice of a smoke grenade!
  • ScottysDemise
    13 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Smoke for the support class would be great. It would make moving to position with an mmg so much more effective over hoping a medic or recon will pop one for you.
  • PhatHamWallet
    124 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    My friend gave me this tip and it helped me immensely with the MMG run and gun. When you are turning a corner, have the trigger held down already. If there is somebody there, they're dead. If not you only lose a few bullets (depending on your reaction time).
  • oXGeminiXo
    245 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Play breakthru and when defending try to find a chokepoint to the objective and a good setup point for bipod. I honestly hate these weapons due to not being able to be mobile with them. When I finally take them all from lvl4 to lvl10 I plan on playing alot of breakthru or frontlines maybe and go Bobby Brown ground humping while hating the existance of these weapons 😆