APEX saved EA

demanspeed
16 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
Understandably not related to BF but this has to be a wake up call to EA. APEX Legends single handedly saved their ****. A game that’s free to play and best of all, from my understanding, had no design decisions from EA. This is what happens when you let game developers have full control. They create good games. EA should understand their place and just be a financial backer to these developers. Nothing more. A good game that doesn’t exploit the fan base will create loyal customers and it will make money. Basically, just write the check EA and watch the money pile up. Okay that’s it.

Comments

• Tony-yingc
    82 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    APEX is an excellent game, more like a mixture of COD OW and PUBG. In the future, the main problem of this game is how to deal with cheating. Battlefield V is in a bad situation now. It can be predicted that Battlefield V will die completely.
  • demanspeed
    16 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Yeah I’d agree. Ecspecially because their big content drop will be primarily their version of battle royale and it’s now competing with APEX...which is free. Their whole weekly challenges thing is pretty dumb too. Again, decisions I feel we’re made by EA.
  • CPTN-Cr4ptastic
    1697 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I read in a Tweet today that Respawn has 25,000,000 people playing their game already in just one week. That's impressive. I downloaded it, but haven't played it yet.
  • full951
    2109 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Tony-yingc wrote: »
    APEX is an excellent game, more like a mixture of COD OW and PUBG. In the future, the main problem of this game is how to deal with cheating. Battlefield V is in a bad situation now. It can be predicted that Battlefield V will die completely.

exactly. all the good parts, none of the bad parts and huge improvement to quality of life as a player in a BR game.

I really hope dice takes note of how impressed we all are with Apex's feature set and applies it to their BR
  • Woodlbrad
    437 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    It definitely helped them I wouldn't go as far as saved tho they make tons of money from just FIFA alone.
  • demanspeed
    Well the stock market would definitely indicate that they were on the decline. Within a couple days of APEX’s release their stock rose 20%. And you have to figure the potential income for models like this. It’s a lot. Plus, there was no advertising for this game. That’s an amazing success. Like CPTN said, 25 million in a week. Amazing.
  • ProAssassin2003
    2880 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 12
    I'm going to be the Devil's Advocate here.

I think APEX is bad for EA and Gaming in general. Why? Because it shows that a Free to Play game like Fortnite and Battleroyale to be extremely successful. Why do you think APEX is even a thing? Fortnite of course.

This sounds like a good thing but it's not. What this will do is now EA will run with this and we will only see Free to Play Battle Royale from here on out. EA is desperate. That is Scary.

APEX seems great but it's one Map and not much Content.

Me personally I don't want every game to be Free to Play and Battleroyale and with APEX success and Fortnite that is where we are heading. What's stopping EA from making Battlefield Free to play and Battleroyale only? It's half way there with BFV.

Anyway I am happy this is a success for Respawn but not EA. EA will abuse it and Milk the Cow completely Dry.

This is my Opinion.
  • demanspeed
    I get what you’re saying and that makes sense. However, I feel like we’re at that state because companies like EA/Activision have ruined the gaming experience for many longtime gamers by not releasing anything new and complete for so long. Plus the pay to win model is a disaster. For myself, I’m not a fan of battle royale games, but I like this one because it’s a AAA FPS experience that’s polished and it’s free. Companies will get my business these days if they show they support their community and don’t hold off content to just release it later on.
  • FragbaitDax
    86 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Is success defined by the number of people engaging with your game, or is it that you can generate a reasonable return on investment? If 25M people play your game but nobody buys mtx, then your game is a failure.

Yes, I'm aware BFV is yet to roll out paid mtx so I guess we'll wait and see on that front too. Much better they iron out the main problems first and drop some new content then invite us look cool for a price.
  • aRrAyStArTaT0
    670 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    demanspeed wrote: »
    Understandably not related to BF but this has to be a wake up call to EA. APEX Legends single handedly saved their ****. A game that’s free to play and best of all, from my understanding, had no design decisions from EA. This is what happens when you let game developers have full control. They create good games. EA should understand their place and just be a financial backer to these developers. Nothing more. A good game that doesn’t exploit the fan base will create loyal customers and it will make money. Basically, just write the check EA and watch the money pile up. Okay that’s it.

Correction: Respawn saved EA.
    EA doesn't deserve developers like them.
  • namvn
    168 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 12
    I only played a few rounds and already unlocked an Epic Skin for free, man, talk about how to hook players up
  • LOLGotYerTags
    11414 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    Moved to off topic
  • dA_9_eL_81
    1748 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 19
    What about the ridiculous priced skins in Apex... Have any of you spent money on Apex?

Apex is oozing of EA if you´d care to look...
    - There are 3 currencies in the game
    - overpriced items

Why not having a relative harmless pricing on item... The game is free and I am way to old to get exited over a pink zebra camo to spend 12-18 EUR on them....

A reasonable pricing IMO would be:
    2-4 EUR for skins or 10 EUR for 4 skins (maybe 1 characterskin & 3 weaponskins)
    Maybe 8-10 EUR to unlock a character.

Agree? Yes/No? Why/Why not?

Edited. - EA_Cian

Post edited by EA_Cian on
  • HawkeyeAM47
    1273 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I dont think EA is going anywere anytime soon, ni matter how bad a dip they take, they are set fir generation to come, hoping forba DICE turn around when no one expects it
  • Tactical_wizzzeR
    275 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    it's too early to tell, and when EA are only satisfied in growth rather than flat earnings like any other company that shares it's stocks publicly, that growth is impossible to sustain, and this is how despite making a profit of more than a BILLION dollars in 2018, EA's value halved.

this is beyond stupid, this will continue to be your economy in 202x, and not just your games, this is your insurence policy, it's your retirement funds... congratulations, you bought it! you've made your cake and now you eat it!
  • aRrAyStArTaT0
    670 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Correction: Respawn saved EA.

Every game that Respawn has come out with has been highly rated and critically acclaimed with 0 mandatory micro transactions and little to no predatory practices.
    Respawn is the hero we need.
  • Vespervin
    1196 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    EA doesn't deserve to be saved. The sooner they're no longer a part of this industry, the better.
  • HonestSoul333
    1396 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited February 22
    Crazy how releasing a good polished game that prioritizes gameplay over visuals proves to be a success.

Idk though... I say that like its super obvious, but the way games have been recently says otherwise :(
  • DisguisedMike
    422 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Apex Legends has hit 50 million players in a quarter of the time it took Fortnite (Gameinformer)
    I'm impressed by the success of this game and I'm glad for the devs at Respawn.
    50 million players in one month... that's just insane!

This is the first Battle Royale game I decided to try and playing Apex made me better understand why these games are so popular. I had fun playing even if I was terrible at it and now I can definitely see why some people love these games.

What Apex Legends did for me is make me excited to see what BF can do with Battle Royale. That mode will probably never have the same appeal as Conquest for me but with Battlefield's gameplay and more ''realistic'' setting, I can already see my friends and I having fun with a mode like this in BFV.

With Apex Legends, the devs at Respawn Entertainment proved once again that they're very talented and I can't wait to see their reveal of Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order on April 13.

• full951
    2109 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    but did it save DICE?