Visibility Changes

F8RGE
6 postsMember, EA Community Manager
edited February 12
I mentioned earlier on today that we had some changes to visibility in the next update (which comes out tomorrow if you missed it), so here’s a bit more detail into what we’ve done.

It’s worth noting that we didn’t want to change things too drastically as we felt this would likely end up having an overall negative effect.

The changes we’ve made will make soldiers slightly more visible. As well as this there will also be a clearer difference between friends and enemies. Friends will have a lower level of visibility, making them attract less attention while looking for threats.

Alongside these changes we have also solved several issues that were causing soldiers in dark clothes to appear too dark in areas with not much light. We also solved an issue where some characters were glowing too much when wearing light coloured clothes in well-lit areas.

Our intent with these changes is to balance the visibility of soldiers with the camouflage effect of their uniforms. Soldiers should not stand out too much, nor should blend in too much either.

Adjustments have been made by altering the lighting and the colours of our characters, as well as making some specific tweaks to the maps which were the worse offenders; Fjell and Devastation.

The visibility boost does fade over distance. This means that while close combat encounters are still solved by player skill, threats which are further away will be easier to pick out against the background.

Another fix that we have implemented addresses a problem where the visibility system was being applied incorrectly against a soldier who was prone. By fixing this issue, solders who are prone should now be significantly more visible than before, on par with standing soldiers.

Before
ZbyLDCl.png

After
17IRvQx.jpg
Post edited by F8RGE on

Comments

• DANNYonPC
    251 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 12
    Any, pictures :D?
    Scrap that, cool thanks!
    Post edited by DANNYonPC on
  • Noodlesocks
    2240 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Getting rid of TAA would help too. Doesn't help visibility when everything blurs into each other.
  • AchillesMele
    20 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Oooh can't wait to seee
  • MiniBadger
    1 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I will give this a chance, but I never struggled with target acquisition, from Rotterdam to Aerodrome, it worked for me. Yes, sometimes people blended in, and that's how it should be! This is World War 2, they had camouflage, and that's how it worked. DICE had the perfect balance of realism and playability with how they looked, but hey, maybe it was only a *good* balance, and not the best. We'll see, tomorrow.
  • Noodlesocks
    2240 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Can we get a before and after of an enemy in the same spot and pose?
  • NemoDahFish
    123 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Finally
  • Kevang039
    108 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    PoppaPappo wrote: »
    The pictures prove that those who said visibility was fine and they could see everything perfectly were lying. It was a bug and the figure clearly really does partially disappear.

I had to zoom that first picture all the way in and could still barely figure where that soldier was.

The 2nd picture I had to zoom just a bit but could actually recognize someone is there.

Yeah, I agree, visibility was perfect how it was, someone tell me who's killing that enemy in the first picture?
  • QHUNK9000
    307 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Awesome cant wait to try it out
  • Tylr4D
    59 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 12
    Can we get a before and after using the same conditions? Enemy in the same spot, pose and the same resolution? These really make it seem exaggerated and cartoony with the new enhancements.
  • hambaci_kuranger
    10 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    well we see tomorrow :)

PS: when we can see killcam card changes? Something like here:
  • shanerounce1989
    2 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Okay this actually sounds decent. :)
  • KingsportCowboy
    167 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Well. Guess it's time to retire the Mgs. It was bad enough already, thanks.
  • AchillesMele
    20 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Hmmmm anyone else know where the guy in the first photo is, cause I can't see him lol
  • Noodlesocks
    edited February 12
    Hmmmm anyone else know where the guy in the first photo is, cause I can't see him lol

@AchillesMele
    He's in a different pose and position from the after shot so it's not really a good comparison but he's lying face down in the rubble
    2N9EE78.png
  • FragbaitDax
    111 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I think we'll have to see it in action to tell the real impact to gameplay. I agree that the comparison pics are not ideal as the second pic has the enemy on the edge of the pile so he's automatically more visible due to the silhouette.

One thing that I have appreciated with these recent changes is that they appear to be relatively gradual to minimise an over-correction or making a new problem. No, they don't always get it right but it's better than some other games where the adjustments are so large as to make the changes catastrophic.