Battlefield is dead...

Comments

• Jeffamb0
    19 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I usually play around 12am-5am and, unless my server browser isn't working, there has been between 1 and 3 populated NA servers during that time. That is the definition of dead, as it should be. I re-downloaded BF4 and shooting the guns, putting nice accurate bursts down range was just so much more fun that whatever this heap of garbage is. 

I truly believe they got rid of private/community/rentable/3rd party WHATEVER YOU WANT TO CALL THEM servers simply to suppress the population numbers because private servers/clan servers were simply one of the best aspects of BF and any casual fps game like BF. Getting rid of them makes zero sense and it can only be assumed they didn't want people/investors/players to know there were less than 100 people playing BF5 at some points in the day lol.

Here, I'll teach you how to make a good game that people will enjoy: Just reskin BF4, keep 120hz servers, make sure fps is high and boom, you just made a game 10x better than bf1 and bf5 you banana heads 
  • -Antares65z
    1590 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    When you take variety out of a game, players get bored and move on. The Weekly rotation servers are sucking up 3/4 of the player traffic which is killing off the other servers that offer more variety.  You can thank Quick Match for this and the large percentage of players that insist on using it. I'm sure EA is smiling. 
  • Jeffamb0
    19 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    They need to realize that foundation + variety are what keep players playing. After they fixed the netcode and increased the server tick rate in BF4 from 10hz to 30-144hz the game was a masterpiece. I could easily get 144fps(I have a 144hz monitor) on all low settings with mid level GPU(770gtx). The guns were very accurate while bursting but start spraying and you wouldn't be able to hit anything that was more than 5 feet away from you. There is a reason almost every FPS has that gun model.

I think they need to introduce a process when making a new Battlefield. A checklist that starts with the most important aspects of a FPS game and moves toward the less important.

Can we try to build a checklist? I'll start with mine and people can add or change it as they feel. I may only do a few checks now and edit and update as fit.

First: We need fps. Most of us don't have 60hz monitors anymore. We are in the age of the 144hz monitors and I realize that can be a difficult thing for devs as now players need twice as much fps while expecting increasing and better graphics. So it's really a battle of graphics vs FPS. I've played shooters for a long time, 10 years ago I was a competitive CSS player, I know what attracts competitive/dedicated players, even if they are just competitive in the pub scene, which is fine. Those are the players you need to appeal to because those are the players who rack up 1000's of hours and buy cosmetics even though they say they never will. The casual players are drawn in by those players via streams and other sources. I can assure you that these players care more about FPS than graphics. If I don't have the clean, very responsive, in control feel that high fps brings, I will not play the game no matter how good it is in all other categories.

So, I think your 'average' GPU needs to be able to achieve the 'average' monitor hz worth of fps on LOW settings. I'm talking your 770gtx -> 970gtx ->1060/1070gtx(whatever is relevant for the time period) they need to be able to achieve 120 fps on LOW settings, with 144fps being more ideal. In BF4, I could do this with my 770. When BF1 came out, I could not do this and I wanted a new GPU, so I got a 1080gtx. It was the first time I bought a GPU a level up from the 'average'/'best bang for the buck' GPU. After that, I could achieve my desired FPS on LOW(the setting I always play fps at) settings.

However, I still have my 1080gtx and while a few years old, I believe it to still be above the 'average' user's GPU, BUT I cannot get 144fps in BF5 on all low settings. That results in my aiming/mouse movements to not be 100% responsive and all good gamers can feel when their fps isn't high enough. High enough FPS on the average GPU needs to be the first priority for devs before they start making their way towards other aspects. so...

1. High Fps. (Average GPU needs to be able achieve Average monitor hz worth of FPS on LOW settings)

I'm going to stop here and edit/add on to this because I have to leave and I could probably spend all day making this list but post your ideas for the check list. 

• Jeffamb0
    0SiGHT0 said:
    Astr0damus wrote: »
    I have had a good history lesson (learned about a Russian female sniper squad) and now I'm ready for modern combat again. Like kj, I don't like futuristic shooters, but I also don't like bayonets, horses nor blimps either, they belong in museums and history books. I would like the M-16 back from BF3--that was a good weapon (with ACOG scope), I believe it also had an under-barrel M203 grenade launcher/smoke launcher. I disagree with OP that BF series is dead.. I'm just ready for BF 6 or Bad Company 3.

I saw a video on YouTube that "leaked" BF2020. It is supposedly BFBC3, With a mix of Vietnam and Modern setting, going back to the style of BF3/4. Also, it's been in development since 2017 by DICE LA. I can't verify how legitimate it is though.

I'm ready for a Modern BF as well, I wasn't around for BF4, and while it's still fun, I missed out on a lot of good stuff.

Well that just sounds like a complete and total catastrophe. Rest in piece BF franchise if that is true.
    Are you joking? That sounds like my dream. If they make sure I can get 144fps on all low settings and servers are rentable and 60hz, they will bring BF back from it's slow decay and noobs like you will be pushed aside by the masses trying to join the servers. 
  • GRAW2ROBZ
    1102 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I checked BF4 last night.  8 full servers then a major drop off.  This just USA servers for conquest. 

Hardline really fell off.  Down to two full servers now.

I didn't check BF1 last night.  But that game was kinda dead right out of the gates for conquest. Unless filters still broken.
  • -Antares65z
    1590 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    GRAW2ROBZ said:
    I checked BF4 last night.  8 full servers then a major drop off.  This just USA servers for conquest. 

I didn't check BF1 last night.  But that game was kinda dead right out of the gates for conquest. Unless filters still broken.
    Could be your filters. Free Slots should have everything checked accept All and Spectator. During the week you'll find 2-4 full Weekly rotation servers and a few rented servers going. Not too long ago, in the mornings (PST) you'd find at least 4-5 full Weekly and Dice Official servers going. This morning there was just ONE for the entire U.S.  Isn't there over 300 million people in this country? Think you'd find at least a few more playing than just 64. There were a few other servers with 1 player. It picks up on the weekend but the game has been bleeding players in the past weeks. Not sure where they're going since many seem to be leaving BF5 too. I don't play as much anymore because of the lack of variety in BF1 combined with lots of cheating. Just can't seem to find any servers in BF1 or BF5 without at least a few cheaters on them.  BC2, BF3 and BF4 are also infested with cheats. Sheeeesh. 
  • l1z1l
    89 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Apex came out of no where and works better than battlefield?? Smh.

Let me clear this up. The game is still playable if you choose to play it... the battlefield I loved and remember is dead.
    Do you one of the old pc config , who can't play well because of lags, complaining here about great game? What your Apex is with that **** graphic?
  • 0SiGHT0
    455 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Jeffamb0 said:
    0SiGHT0 said:
    I have had a good history lesson (learned about a Russian female sniper squad) and now I'm ready for modern combat again. Like kj, I don't like futuristic shooters, but I also don't like bayonets, horses nor blimps either, they belong in museums and history books. I would like the M-16 back from BF3--that was a good weapon (with ACOG scope), I believe it also had an under-barrel M203 grenade launcher/smoke launcher. I disagree with OP that BF series is dead.. I'm just ready for BF 6 or Bad Company 3.

I saw a video on YouTube that "leaked" BF2020. It is supposedly BFBC3, With a mix of Vietnam and Modern setting, going back to the style of BF3/4. Also, it's been in development since 2017 by DICE LA. I can't verify how legitimate it is though.

I'm ready for a Modern BF as well, I wasn't around for BF4, and while it's still fun, I missed out on a lot of good stuff.

Well that just sounds like a complete and total catastrophe. Rest in piece BF franchise if that is true.
    Are you joking? That sounds like my dream. If they make sure I can get 144fps on all low settings and servers are rentable and 60hz, they will bring BF back from it's slow decay and noobs like you will be pushed aside by the masses trying to join the servers. 
    DICE LA is one of the primary reasons why this franchise went into the toilet. Anyone with eyes or a brain can tell you that.
  • von_Campenstein
    6554 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    0SiGHT0 said:
    Jeffamb0 said:
    0SiGHT0 said:

DICE LA is one of the primary reasons why this franchise went into the toilet. Anyone with eyes or a brain can tell you that.

While I think they did nothing good for BF1 except Achi Baba I'm not aware of their other supposed crimes.
  • GRAW2ROBZ
    1102 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited April 17
    GRAW2ROBZ said:

Could be your filters. Free Slots should have everything checked accept All and Spectator. During the week you'll find 2-4 full Weekly rotation servers and a few rented servers going. Not too long ago, in the mornings (PST) you'd find at least 4-5 full Weekly and Dice Official servers going. This morning there was just ONE for the entire U.S.  Isn't there over 300 million people in this country? Think you'd find at least a few more playing than just 64. There were a few other servers with 1 player. It picks up on the weekend but the game has been bleeding players in the past weeks. Not sure where they're going since many seem to be leaving BF5 too. I don't play as much anymore because of the lack of variety in BF1 combined with lots of cheating. Just can't seem to find any servers in BF1 or BF5 without at least a few cheaters on them.  BC2, BF3 and BF4 are also infested with cheats. Sheeeesh. 
    Not sure what new games are out.  I know some traitors on my friends list been playing Siege or Apex.  I even checked FAR CRY 5 for XBOX1.  That only had two full servers as well.  That game been out a year and one month.  That game is dead as well.  UBISOFT been slipping as well. I think some are playing Division 2.  Also factor in its Spring time.  Nice weather.  Heck I grilled out four times already.  But yeah I need a new game already.  Had BF5 for about a month or so and bored now.  Even GTA5 is a hit or a miss to line up dart players at the bar.  I got most wins in the world.

Bad Company 2 Monday had a server of 3vs5 for RUSH. I couldn't get that last MCOMM to pop.  I armed it so many times.  Teammates were doing nothing and we were out numbered.  First time I got ticked off on BC2 in a long time.  I even joined late and almost caught up for total points.  ShameBC2 is kinda dead now.  I prefer playing that yet.  Heck i'd even play BF2MC if EA didn't kill off the servers.
  • mrtwotimes
    662 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    The game seems to be much more entertaining in the last month after people "dropped off"
  • aRrAyStArTaT0
    786 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    0SiGHT0 said:
    Jeffamb0 said:
    0SiGHT0 said:

Lots of people think Stockholm DICE is the issue. Honestly, I don't really know or care that much who the issue is, just that something needs to happen that it can be fixed.
  • GRAW2ROBZ
    0SiGHT0 said:
    Jeffamb0 said:
    0SiGHT0 said:

Is DICE LA the ones that made Medal of honor Warfighter and Battlefield Hardline?  If so I like them guys.
  • parkingbrake
    3126 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Jeffamb0 said:
    I usually play around 12am-5am and, unless my server browser isn't working, there has been between 1 and 3 populated NA servers during that time. That is the definition of dead, as it should be. I re-downloaded BF4 and shooting the guns, putting nice accurate bursts down range was just so much more fun that whatever this heap of garbage is. 

I truly believe they got rid of private/community/rentable/3rd party WHATEVER YOU WANT TO CALL THEM servers simply to suppress the population numbers because private servers/clan servers were simply one of the best aspects of BF and any casual fps game like BF. Getting rid of them makes zero sense and it can only be assumed they didn't want people/investors/players to know there were less than 100 people playing BF5 at some points in the day lol.

Here, I'll teach you how to make a good game that people will enjoy: Just reskin BF4, keep 120hz servers, make sure fps is high and boom, you just made a game 10x better than bf1 and bf5 you banana heads 
    Your definition of dead is flawed.  Most people in NA are asleep from midnight to five in the morning, so of course the servers are empty.  But in the afternoon I can look at my browser and find forty populated servers, even more in the evening, and on weekends I've seen over a hundred active servers.  Servers were mostly empty in the middle of the night in previous titles too, nothing has changed in that regard.

Your logic on why they got rid of rented servers is also broken.  BFV has sold as many copies as BF4, that's the number investors care about, not how many people who paid for the game are still playing.  It would be different if skin sales were huge, then player counts would matter.  EA got rid of rented servers because their business model for this series has changed, and because they disliked server renters and third-party service providers having a big impact on the game, they didn't like that loss of control.  In my view it is a breathtakingly stupid decision that is driving away the series' long-time customers, and in the long run it will hurt the series badly.  But EA now seems to want BF titles to be short-lived console-friendly games, disposable in effect, and a loyal community that keeps a game going for years and years doesn't fit that model.  The idea that they didn't want rented servers because they wanted to conceal low player counts is laughable.
  • parkingbrake
    3126 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    GRAW2ROBZ said:
    0SiGHT0 said:
    Jeffamb0 said:
    0SiGHT0 said:

Is DICE LA the ones that made Medal of honor Warfighter and Battlefield Hardline?  If so I like them guys.
    Hardline was done by Visceral.  DICE LA is largely responsible for saving BF4, and the work Visceral did on network performance in Hardline also helped in BF4.  Why this guy blames them for the series going wrong is baffling, but after awhile you learn which folks here have posts worth reading and which ones don't.
  • Jeffamb0
    Jeffamb0 said:

Your definition of dead is flawed.  Most people in NA are asleep from midnight to five in the morning, so of course the servers are empty.  But in the afternoon I can look at my browser and find forty populated servers, even more in the evening, and on weekends I've seen over a hundred active servers.  Servers were mostly empty in the middle of the night in previous titles too, nothing has changed in that regard.

Your logic on why they got rid of rented servers is also broken.  BFV has sold as many copies as BF4, that's the number investors care about, not how many people who paid for the game are still playing.  It would be different if skin sales were huge, then player counts would matter.  EA got rid of rented servers because their business model for this series has changed, and because they disliked server renters and third-party service providers having a big impact on the game, they didn't like that loss of control.  In my view it is a breathtakingly stupid decision that is driving away the series' long-time customers, and in the long run it will hurt the series badly.  But EA now seems to want BF titles to be short-lived console-friendly games, disposable in effect, and a loyal community that keeps a game going for years and years doesn't fit that model.  The idea that they didn't want rented servers because they wanted to conceal low player counts is laughable.
    Dawg, it doesn't matter what time it is, a AAA game less than a year from launch should have a lot more than 64 people playing the game in the USA. They somehow sold millions of copies, yet manage to have 64 people playing in NA at certain points of the day? Think about how much money 64 dollars is to someone who has 10 million dollars, just to put that number in perspective.  

During those late hours, not only does BF4 have more populated servers than BF5, but Bad Company 2 does as well. I've been playing Bad Company 2 and there's usually 2 hardcore servers that are full late at night along with multiple normal servers. 

I hate that these Battlefields have been a disaster.

After Dice did a 10/10 job improving BF4, I just could not wait for the next BF with a full active population. I would talk about it all the time. That was years ago and I'm still waiting for the next new version of BF3/4, with community servers that you join every day and see the same people, some you can't wait to squad up with and some you can't wait to try to bend over a barrel and trash talk cause their momma is super fat.

Community servers were like their own gaming societies with rival clans trying to beat each other. It was so much fun getting on and getting into gaming mode and going absolutely ham bone for hours. I haven't found a game that I've enjoyed like BF4 since then and I've played A LOT of games. All the communities are dead at this point and new BFs aren't just bad but they completely removed community/rentable servers which makes so little sense that it has to be for some sinister reason.

Clans/gaming communities are so integral for casual shooters like BF. I mean not only does it make the game significantly more fun but THE PLAYERS ALSO PAY FOR THE SERVERS. I mean Dice/EA is literally paying for all the servers just so they can make the game a lot worse. 

The amount of poor decisions that were made since BF4 is simply unbelievable and embarrassing. 
  • Jeffamb0
    >  EA got rid of rented servers because their business model for this series has changed, and because they disliked server renters and third-party service providers having a big impact on the game, they didn't like that loss of control

That's not a real answer. Find a real answer. They are paying a ton of money on servers in order to make the game a lot worse. There is a real answer out there and it's not the corporate mumbo jumbo that you said. 
  • jog0ff
    138 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    ..and on the top of that, all UK servers are silently gone lol
  • Tarkules
    1 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited May 3
    I played Battlefield since BF Vietnam.

This game used to be brilliant in how it combined tactics, social communication and shooting skills altogether to create real fun and satisfying experience, and sometimes hilarious and unforgettable moments.

When BF2 came and the Commander was introduced with squads, this was one of the best and unique features in an FPS game. A true game changer, but it never reached to a point to be balanced and meaningful enough for any map, except maybe Gulf of Oman (both versions).

BFBC2 - BF3 - BF4 were so good that we played nothing but Battlefield back then, 24/7 for years.

Community servers used to be so popular because they allowed us to play on our own terms, our favorite maps and with or against the same players that we used to see and chat with on daily/weekly basis.

Phantom missions on BF4 - Those easter eggs drove us crazy. Was definitely the most exciting thing to have in such a cool game. And thank you, JJJU, for the good times, by the way.

BF1 and BFV feels like they are unrelated to the franchise, and to be honest, a very big disappointment. For us, the game was never about skins and charachters and coins, it was all about tactics, strategy and playing smart. It was about modern combat. It was about having dozens of maps with so many combat situations, tanks, helicopters, lasers and all the gizmos that sometimes it was nothing but necessary to cooperate and join squads just to tilt the balance. We played our own fictional wars in a diverse geo-political pseudo-conflicts and it was awesome.

So instead of continuing to evolve and keep polishing such a success, they ruined it, and for years.

I expected that by this year / era, Dice and EA would have created a new client that would allow the players to choose their maps that are set each in a different era, like a big combination of all the Battlefields evers made and let us pay by maps only.
    Let it be a WW1, WW2, Vietnam, China, Gobi desert, Karkand, a 2142 map or whatever it is we want.

BF crushed the CoD community, just to become another CoD game. Its not interesting anymore and became childish, another pew-pew for kids.
    Post edited by Tarkules on
  • parkingbrake
    Jeffamb0 said:
    >  EA got rid of rented servers because their business model for this series has changed, and because they disliked server renters and third-party service providers having a big impact on the game, they didn't like that loss of control

That's not a real answer. Find a real answer. They are paying a ton of money on servers in order to make the game a lot worse. There is a real answer out there and it's not the corporate mumbo jumbo that you said. 
    There is an old aphorism: never ascribe to malice that which is explained by simple incompetence.

If you want to look for some conspiracy theory or whatever, okay, have fun.  But the idea that EA began getting rid of rented servers in BF1--the best selling BF title ever--and then finished the process in BFV because they somehow knew in advance that despite sales as great as those of BF4 there would be a problem with player retention and they wanted to conceal that--well that is such a tortured and nonsensical analysis that it cannot be taken seriously.

EA messed up, they've done it before, they've do it again.  They see other companies making huge profits on Live Service games so they've convinced themselves that's the way to go.  There is no need to look for some wingnut explanation when plain old corporate greed and incompetence cover it nicely.

And yes, "dawg", it does matter what time it is.  Servers were almost all empty in the middle of the night in BF3, and BF4, and BF1--I helped run a few of those servers so I know when they were populated..  If you're going to make up something, at least try to come up with something that makes a little bit of sense.  If you'd just said there seem to be fewer populated servers during the day and evening I'd have agreed with you, so try to keep your feet on the ground.